• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

I'm trying to figure out which cars and tracks will be in GTR3 by looking at the teaser images.

Feel free to correct me if you have a better guess. ;)

What is the car/track: Corvette
Teaser #1

What is the car/track: Audi S1
Teaser #2

What is the car/track: Spa
Teaser #3

What is the car/track: R8 LMS
Teaser #4

What is the car/track: ???
Teaser #5

What is the car/track: Gumpert
Teaser #6

What is the car/track: Megane Trophy
Teaser #7

What is the car/track: Le Mans
Teaser #8

What is the car/track: Ruf something
Teaser #9

What is the car/track: Mustang
Teaser #10

What is the car/track: Mercedes
Teaser #11

What is the car/track: ???
Teaser #12

i2ZA6iQRKoCjf.png

Shawsie64

Banned
Tempted to get iracing today!

My main PC is really powerful but use it in main room and cant hook up wheel to it.. My 2nd PC is pretty weak however and im worried if it'll run at an acceptable FPS, though wheel would setup perfect on the desk.

The specs are:

Q9450
4gbDDR2
AMD 3450 (I know its weak but was salvaged)

Any thoughts?

mclaren777

That GPU is weak enough that you probably shouldn't invest in iRacing until you replace it.

But even a modest $80-100 video card would be a significant improvement.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Because aside from that, that system doesn't suck at all. A Q9450 isn't terrible by any stretch. Even at stock speeds. It's just missing a GPU and it's a very decent machine.

AcridMeat

Banned
I really can't wait for GTR3. I adore what simbin does with online multiplayer, hopefully they add even more to it this time.

mclaren777

It sounds like there's a 49% chance that the rFactor 2 beta will be out before Christmas, and a 51% chance that it'll be released in early January. There's also a new video in production titled 'Physics' that should be ready fairly soon.

Also, the team behind netKar Pro just teased a new sim project (codename: AC) that will be announced on Friday.

iUPwncfbqLHWO.jpg

Edit: it looks like the 2012 Exige S will be one of the cars.

iB3nqaQvwBcut.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
That GPU is weak enough that you probably shouldn't invest in iRacing until you replace it.

But even a modest $80-100 video card would be a significant improvement.

Tried it out the other day and although it ran on everything low it looked pretty bad.. Installed a new GPU and its running all on high and looking great now.. Loving it :)

mclaren777

New info for rFactor 2

Link to a lengthy Q&A

Q: When is the open beta/demo coming out?
A: The demo is not the open beta. A demo will come later and will be free to try. The open beta will be a full early purchase of the software.
We project that we will be in Release Candidate stage around the Christmas Holiday. We think it may be too hectic for our testers and staff to try to push out a product at this time, so we are now likely to release the open beta early 2012.

Link to a content update

Scott Juliano said:
Beyond that, we are at varying stages of licensing deals and will have a WIDE range of new racing series and tracks to go with. Plus, as you all have seen, we're keen to get point-to-point working with proper ladder-type scoring. We're still eager to expand dirt racing as well. All of this will help rF2 continue to grow and expand in many new directions long after release.

Even between the time we release the first Beta to the first "Gold" release, we will be updating not only the series you'll soon see, but adding new series as they reach a more final state. We have many close to this stage--rFTrainers, FISI, Clios, karts as well as a few others. There will be a lot coming to keep you busy.

iGH5KrAC68pgM.jpg

sneaky77

New info for rFactor 2

Link to a lengthy Q&A

Q: When is the open beta/demo coming out?
A: The demo is not the open beta. A demo will come later and will be free to try. The open beta will be a full early purchase of the software.
We project that we will be in Release Candidate stage around the Christmas Holiday. We think it may be too hectic for our testers and staff to try to push out a product at this time, so we are now likely to release the open beta early 2012.

Any idea what kind of graphics card will be good enough to run this? I think my desktop has a 1gb ram card

mclaren777

Here are the minimum/recommended system specs for rFactor 2...

MINIMUM
CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
Memory: 2 GB of RAM
GPU: nVidia 8600 GT or ATI 3850
Storage: 4 GB

RECOMMENDED
CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2
Memory: 4 GB of RAM
GPU: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI 4870
Storage: 4+ GB

Joates

Banned
So I got my new CSR wheel, and it works great with Forza4 but Im having major problems here as there does not seem to be any ForceFeedback when playing Richard Burns and its fucking killing me trying to figure out whats wrong.

My DFPs FFB worked find for it this week playing but I switched wheels and now nothing...

Shawsie64

Banned
Anyone ever get the "cannot connect to server" error in Iracing? I'm not getting the error myself but my mate is and its really frustrating

mclaren777

So I got my new CSR wheel, and it works great with Forza4 but Im having major problems here as there does not seem to be any ForceFeedback when playing Richard Burns and its fucking killing me trying to figure out whats wrong.

My DFPs FFB worked find for it this week playing but I switched wheels and now nothing...

Have you installed the Fanatec drivers on your PC?

Link

Joates

Banned
Have you installed the Fanatec drivers on your PC?

Link

I did, other games FFB (LFS and rFactor demos) worked fine, RBR was giving me nothing.

But now I have way bigger problems, my desktop decided to shit the bed and now Im in a bit of a predicament. But my main focus will be using this wheel for racing games, so can anyone tell me what I would be looking to spend to get a gaming desktop that will play these games?

Ive been out of the PC upgrade/build game for quite a while and am completely lost as to what to look for.

mclaren777

Any modern CPU should be fine and it's foolish to get/build a PC with less than 4GB of RAM, so let's just say assume that both of those things are a given.

It really comes down to which video card you need, and to decide that, it depends on your monitor's native resolution. But my general advice if you're on a reasonable budget is the Nvidia GTX 560. It will be overkill for rFactor and RBR, but it will essentially future-proof you for the next few years of racing games.

$180 @ Newegg

Also, RBR requires some updates for FFB to work properly with newer wheels. I can look into it for you when things settle down.

dubc35

Also, RBR requires some updates for FFB to work properly with newer wheels. I can look into it for you when things settle down.
When you get some time do you know what I would need to get FFB to work with the Driving Force GT wheel? It worked with my old Driving Force Pro but it died and I've never been able to figure out what the deal is with the DFGT.

Joates

Banned
Any modern CPU should be fine and it's foolish to get/build a PC with less than 4GB of RAM, so let's just say assume that both of those things are a given.

It really comes down to which video card you need, and to decide that, it depends on your monitor's native resolution. But my general advice if you're on a reasonable budget is the Nvidia GTX 560. It will be overkill for rFactor and RBR, but it will essentially future-proof you for the next few years of racing games.

$180 @ Newegg

Thank you very much, any help is greatly appreciated.

mclaren777

RSRBR 2012 – Released

Following the successful 2010 & 2011 versions, Rallysim has now released the 2012 edition of its popular RSRBR mod for Richard Burns Rally.

Tutorial & Download

RSRBR.gif

yOXFb.png

rFactor 2 – Torrents

As MS7XWDC recently pointed out, ISI is allowing people to download some of the content for rFactor 2 so you can simply buy the EXE file when the beta launches next month.

Download files for rFactor 2

ivB32CSmEKXYW.jpg

saladine1

I've never heard of Assetto Corsa either.

GTR3, rFactor 2, CARS, Assetto Corsa, ............GRID 2, Forza 5, GT6, SHIFT 3....2012...

would be mind boggling..

Dilly

Banned
Wow, that's pretty.

Hi mclaren, great thread. May I ask you something? Is there any racing sim focused on historical cars? Not necessarily old Formula cars...
I was looking for something "vintage" with massive sound and other classic elements (old tracks are welcome)... thanks :)

GT Legends by Simbin?

Dilly

Banned
I don't get the hate for the graphics tbh. I'm sure that when modding groups like CTDP and Virtua_LM get their hands on this game, they will make it look beautiful.

Niks

I don't get the hate for the graphics tbh. I'm sure that when modding groups like CTDP and Virtua_LM get their hands on this game, they will make it look beautiful.

I was on the hate boat in the beginning, but yeah, they are delivering a solid platform, that the modding community will no doubt build upon.

Sethos

Banned
I think the game looks great. People just need to tone down the graphics whoring sometimes, it's starting to get out of control in general.

mclaren777

It sounds like rFactor 2 won't be out of beta until July so even if the graphics aren't all that impressive now, I'm convinced they will improve greatly over the coming months.

Scott Juliano said:
If you are curious as to what you're getting when you pre-purchase rFactor 2, you are being given access to the open-beta and all of its updates. Six of the 18 months of online service are meant to cover the open-beta period so that you have your full year when the planned first "gold" release is... released. If the beta time ran beyond that I would certainly think you'd be given extra days/weeks/months to cover that, but that would ultimately be a decision Gjon would make.

You can also pre-purchase and, if you don't like what you see/feel, you are more than welcome to ask for a refund and then wait and come back to try the finished version later, or not at all.

We're not forcing anyone to pre-purchase. If you don't like the idea of what we're doing you are certainly more than welcome to wait until "gold" or not purchase at all. We are leaving all of this up to you.

You get, with your pre-purchase:
• Single Player
• Multiplayer
• Developer Mode
• Development Tools
• The documentation we have for those tools (in the WIP state)
• Rain
• Wet/Dry Track Transition
• Dynamic Track Elements (Groove/Marbles)
• New Tire Model
• New physics
• New Collision
• HDR (with other Post FX to come)
• Access to beta updates and new/updated content as they become available

These systems are in various states of readiness and need further refinement, hence the "beta" moniker.

I can't be any more honest than that. If you're interested in diving in early, we are happy to have you pre-purchase. If you decide it's not finished enough for you and don't want to help in the process then request a refund. If you know up front you're not interested in a beta release you are certainly free to wait for the first gold release.

Dilly

Banned
Definately purchasing it. Vintage F1 and Formula Renault + Wet weather are enough to convince me.

Anyone making a rFactor 2 OT?

Dilly

Banned
I'd say for the Beta. Should already be lots to discuss about and it already has Multiplayer onboard.

pCARS is still in Alpha and it also has it's own thread.

Top Bottom