• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

eemijun

Neo Member
Can I get some impressions about netkar pro? Been looking into buying it, but haven't tried the demo yet. The rain effects, and hill climb track look interesting.

bee

eemijun said:
Can I get some impressions about netkar pro? Been looking into buying it, but haven't tried the demo yet. The rain effects, and hill climb track look interesting.

its buggy, feels like a pre alpha, is totally dead online yet despite all this the physics model is superior to EVERY other sim. if you're just looking for a pure driving experience then it can't be beat right now and its only about £13 anyway

SmokyDave

DownWithTheShip said:
This was just released on Steam.

$35 is a little much. Wouldn't mind getting some impressions on it before purchasing.

Anyone here pick this up yet?
Echoing this request for impressions on Off-Road. It's just gone up on Steam but the trailer looked a little ropey and I already have the 1C racing pack so that's no incentive. £30 seems pretty steep when I still haven't picked up F1 2011.

mclaren777

Ravenn17 said:
I would appreciate impressions too. I haven't heard anything from the press, and I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now.
Give it a few days and then check the official Off-Road Drive forum for impressions.

1C Forums

C.A.R.S!!!

Ian Bell @ Nogrip:

So, I think we're ready to go in a few days chaps.

impressions from somebody who already has the first build:

The few cars that I have tried feel good: direct, responsive, FFB is detailed although some things are still worked on to make it even better. Currently I would say it feels much more alive than the FFB in GTR2, for example.

I have never played GPL but I did read it's actually portraying those vintage race cars are harder to drive than they actually were. Still, the Lotus-like car in C.A.R.S. is a nervous biatch to drive on tracks with rapid height changes and undulations, and I'm not even speaking about driving over kerbs... It's amazing fun and challenging for sure

For sure the graphics engine is far from finished. However, what it is showing already is great. No more low-res textures. Amazing lighting. Looking past the obvious things that still need work, IMHO it's looking on-par with S2U, and some things already better.

Also the tweaking options are cool. In-game adjustable FOV, for example. And the good-old adjustable seat is back as well. And that's just the beginning...

I can say that graphics quality is already gob-smacking at times, think S2U with very high resolution textures.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
C.A.R.S!!!

Ian Bell @ Nogrip:

I have never played GPL but I did read it's actually portraying those vintage race cars are harder to drive than they actually were. Still, the Lotus-like car in C.A.R.S. is a nervous biatch to drive on tracks with rapid height changes and undulations, and I'm not even speaking about driving over kerbs... It's amazing fun and challenging for sure

impressions from somebody who already has the first build:
I'm ready for some of that.

AcridMeat

Banned
sneaky77 said:
RCsIS.gif

chrislowe

oh Rfactor2 will get!

and ISI are really nice guys. Remember they personal mailed me when i asked some questions about physics in their simulationyears ago when we had F1 2001 :)

for me ISI + David Kaemmer + Live for Speed should come togheter, it would be the best sim ever :)

about grand prix legeds, yes there were some things at fault in their tiresimulation etc. still it was ace for its time.
but in 1967 they drove on tires that didnt work as todays tires. and they aerodynamics was something you didnt know anything about really.
Remember BRM tried a analog datalogger on their car, and their car had enormous lift at speed.. so i guess they were pretty nervous to drive at speed :)

fresquito

Game Stock Car

Reiza Studios has already added the Formula Classic to Game Stock Car. This fictional car is a homage to the turbo era in Formula One, putting out 680hp while weighing only 620 kilos.

The next car to be added is the fictional Formula Reiza, which is an accurate recreation of modern Formula One technology, having all the distinct features of a current F1 car.

To ensure realistic physics, the guys at Reiza had help from an anonymous F1 insider who claims that this is "the closest experience to the real thing outside the top teams' professional simulators."

Reiza Studios has also confirmed a third open-wheeled car – The Formula 3 Sudamericana.

iberqjtKIhaLRi.jpg

yOXFb.png

Reiza Studios to develop Ayrton Senna Game

Brazil-based Reiza Studios has announced that it is working on a racing game that centers around the career of Ayrton Senna.

Made in co-operation with the Ayrton Senna Institute, the new title will allow PC users to relive the spectacular career of the three-time F1 World Champion.

There are no details on the content yet but Reiza Studios will be using an all-new engine for the Senna title, which is expected to be released at the end of 2012.

ijnB9cHM5bdVv.jpg

yOXFb.png

C.A.R.S. (Community Assisted Race Sim)

C.A.R.S. has been all the rage lately (GAF thread), and while it still has roughly 13 months of development left, it already looks and play really well. Here's a comparison between C.A.R.S. and iRacing around Watkins Glen.

Youtube - iRacing vs. C.A.R.S.
cars_iracing.gif

yOXFb.png

Kart Racing Pro

Beta 4 will be released soon (possibly this week) and it includes many great features like a track layout editor and dynamic racing surfaces.

Youtube - Kart Racing Pro - Dry Line
kartsimpro.gif

yOXFb.png

ISI just released a new screenshot of rFactor 2 today...

iBF337kxyx9ve.jpg

markao

Additional content inside a new version of RaceRoom - The Game revealed!

Three new cars, and three new tracks to enter the free game brought to courtesy of SimBin Studios and RaceRoom Entertainment.

The Swedish game development company SimBin Studios AB today announced that a new version of RaceRoom - The Game will soon be released free of charge at RaceRoom Online.

RaceRoom The Game 2 - Race and Compete
Release date: November 10, 2011
Price: Free of charge
Available on: www.raceroom.net

RaceRoom - The Game 2 contains additional demo content from the original RACE 07 series; including content from the RACE On, GTR Evolution, and GT Power expansions.

RaceRoom - The Game 2 now features three new tracks to compliment the three variations of Hockenheimring currently featured in the game; Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and Nürburgring GP.

As an added bonus, players will be able to choose from three new car models; the BMW 320si E90, the Radical SR3, and the ever popular Matech GT1. Together with the Formula RaceRoom, and Chevrolet Camaro the game now presents users with a multitude of options when it comes time to compete for fantastic prizes in one of RaceRoom Online's many hot-lap competitions.

RaceRoom - The Game 2 will be released as a new stand alone, available free of charge at RaceRoom Online

markao

rFactor.net

What is the pricing structure for rF2? In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price? That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services? Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.
The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about? We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta? If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

fresquito

Simraceway, an online racing simulator, has achieved a gaming first: It will feature high-detail virtual models of every McLaren car ever made, giving gamers the chance to, yes, test drive the entire McLaren back catalogue.

This is the first time McLaren has licensed its entire catalogue of legendary racing and sports cars, including the 800hp, turbocharged MP4/4 F1 car driven by the legendary Ayrton Senna and his teammate Alain Prost as well as the F1 cars driven by Emerson Fittipaldi and James Hunt.

All 36 McLaren F1 cars, save for the 2011 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-26, are exclusive to Simraceway. McLaren's roadcars, such as the F1 and the MP4-12C, will also be available.

Full story on Kotaku

ihGCopwMEPOqA.jpg

ibi2l6SgeCPP2Z.jpg

iex1ACOcbExfp.jpg

ibnl9L9K0Sg4zy.jpg

I know one of the big draws of PC sim racers are to spend countless hours tweaking car setups and practicing and stuff, but are there any out there that just let you race all on the same setup?

I used to be heavy into car setups and practicing (I played NASCAR Racing 2003 Season for years), but I am quickly losing patience with them, and I just want to race.

1-D_FTW

New rFactor 2 development video - A few laps of Monaco

ISI Forum thread here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1293-A-few-laps-of-Monaco-onboard

This game can't come soon enough.

Hot. Although I've given up trying to get Youtube to buffer that video. Downloading the WMV from their forum links:

http://www.imagespaceinc.com/downloads/MonacoWIP_WMV.zip

Should be better quality to boot. But Monaco looks so different. It's so untamed and uncivilized. I love it. Hope they have a lot of retro tracks.

mclaren777

Summary of rumors for "Test Drive: Ferrari"

Bigben Interactive is apparently working on a game called “Test Drive: Ferrari” that could be released as early as March 2012 on all major platforms.

Little is known about the upcoming title so it's hard to even say if it will be a proper racing sim, but these two GIFs have mysteriously appeared so I'm guessing an official trailer isn't too far behind.

ilplKKLFet6MQ.gif

iBAeM3ktJ0Iwd.gif

yOXFb.png

SimRaceWay has now gone public

Ignite Skill Gaming has finally launched SimRaceWay, an online free-to-play racing title based the rFactor platform.

The foundational content of SimRaceWay is free for everyone to use (Lancer Evolution X and Mid Ohio & Zandvoort) while additional content is available for purchase (roughly $2).

The title puts an emphasis on online racing, using a real-time skill matching system to offer close racing.

Youtube -- Mclaren MP4-12C @ Mid-Ohio

ibs7mcvTJbfsdC.jpg

yOXFb.png

Possible announcement for GTR3 on the horizon?

Simbin's Jay Ekkel has hinted at news of GTR3 becoming available later this month:

"The whole team cannot wait to start showing and telling what we are working on at the moment. Soon we will start telling like there is no tomorrow!"

yOXFb.png

Simbin has released 'RaceRoom - The Game 2'

Despite its stupid name, RRTG2 is free to everyone and it includes three new tracks and three new cars.

Tracks: Nürburgring Grand Prix, Laguna Seca, Imola
Cars: BMW 320si, Radical SR3, Matech Ford GT1

Official Website
Youtube -- Trailer

i6aVxPsOasqF9.jpg

yOXFb.png

New game from Simbin: RACE Injection

Simbin has also announced a new title called RACE Injection that pairs content from RACE07 with everything else it has released this year (2010 WTCC & STCC seasons, the Retro Pack, and stuff from RRTG1/RRTG2).

In total, the game includes 83 car models with 450 liveries that can be raced on over 40 different tracks with 60 layouts.

RACE Injection is available now in most European countries for 29.99€ and other countries should get it in Q1 2012.

Youtube -- Trailer
Official Website

yOXFb.png

Kart Sim – Open beta starts soon!

Zach has announced that the public beta phase of Kart Sim will kick off in the first two weeks December. Right now, no info on how potential testers will be selected is available.

To ensure realism, the title uses an advanced tire model and a real-time FEM model to simulate the flex of the chassis. The title is planned to be released in Q1 2012.

yOXFb.png

Two new cars for Ferrari Virtual Academy

Ferrari has released the "Adrenaline Pack" for Ferrari Virtual Academy, adding two new cars to the simulation (Ferrari 150° Italia & Ferrari F458 Challenge).

The 150° Italia comes with full simulation of both DRS and KERS. The pack does not add any new tracks or other features, though it will add the Nurburgring Grand Prix course and Mugello for people who don't already have them.

The Adrenaline Pack sells for 9.90€.

igy5PGJYEzgBJ.jpg

yOXFb.png

Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel by Fanatec

• Multiplatform: Xbox 360, PC, Playstation 3
• Wireless connection to Xbox 360 and USB cable to connect to PC and PS3
• Officially licensed by Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios for use with Forza Motorsport
• LED display, 90° to 900° of rotation, force feedback, adjustable deadzone & linearity
• Three force feedback motors in the wheel with a silent belt drive which minimizes mechanical dead zone
• Fully compatible with the RennSport Wheel Stand which is available as an option

Wheel by itself: $250
Wheel + Pedals: $300

Official Website

iCA84ACfpOhjK.jpg

yOXFb.png

Steel Series SRW-S1 wheel

The SRW-S1 is a crossover between a gamepad and steering wheel, giving players better control over braking, throttle and steering than using a gamepad while not coming with all the features of a proper wheel setup.

The cable-bound controller is shaped like a steering wheel and comes with rubber hand grips and plenty of buttons and dials, as well as a LCD rev-meter. The controller does not offer any kind of force feedback, but might be an interesting alternative for those who don't have room for a traditional steering wheel.

Steel Series promises compatibility with all major PC titles without configuration hassle and it's available now for $119.99.

Youtube -- Detailed hands-on
Official Website

iViQtgTTKlBEc.jpg

mclaren777

rFactor 2 – Beta content revealed

The upcoming beta will give users the chance to sample three different cars and six tracks, including both historic and modern content.

Historic
- 1966 Brabham BT20
- Spa, Monaco, and one mystery track

Modern
- Renault Megane
- Formula Renault 3.5
- Malaysia, Portugal, and Mills

iwaGgSGf8NGsC.jpg

cRm41.png

iRacing opens European server farm

Based in Amsterdam, the new servers will help improve the experience for iRacing's European customers. The servers will be used for both practice and hosted sessions, though iRacing won't be splitting up official race events to different server farms.

In other news, iRacing will be getting some improved sounds in the coming months. Full details here.

cRm41.png

First audio preview of GTR3

1-D_FTW

The upcoming beta will give users the chance to sample three different cars and six tracks, including both historic and modern content.

Historic
- 1966 Brabham BT20

Modern
- Renault Megane
- Formula Renault 3.5

Bring it.

Oh, and welcome back.

Historic
- 1966 Brabham BT20

Modern
- Renault Megane
- Formula Renault 3.5

iwaGgSGf8NGsC.jpg

cRm41.png

iRacing opens European server farm

Based on Amsterdam, the new servers will help improve the experience for iRacing's European customers. The servers will be used for both practice and hosted sessions, though iRacing won't be splitting up official race events to different server farms.

In other news, iRacing will be getting some improved sounds in the coming months. Full details here.

cRm41.png

First audio preview of GTR3

One of the first games ever to get the drive-by sound correct? Damn, that sounds nice!
Stationary to full rev sounds a bit artificial though. But the majority of racing games seem to have that.

mclaren777

December 15th looks like the big day.

http://www.simbin.se/

ijxgKCxOVGYMU.png

Full Interview

Q: What platforms are you preparing to release GTR3 on? If you can't yet provide any details, can you at least give us a clue about when we will find out?
A: No, sorry I don't have the date or more information about that yet.

Joates

Banned
igy5PGJYEzgBJ.jpg

yOXFb.png

Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel by Fanatec

• Multiplatform: Xbox 360, PC, Playstation 3
• Wireless connection to Xbox 360 and USB cable to connect to PC and PS3
• Officially licensed by Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios for use with Forza Motorsport
• LED display, 90° to 900° of rotation, force feedback, adjustable deadzone & linearity
• Three force feedback motors in the wheel with a silent belt drive which minimizes mechanical dead zone
• Fully compatible with the RennSport Wheel Stand which is available as an option

Wheel by itself: $250
Wheel + Pedals: $300

Official Website

Hey guys, been thinking about upgrading to a new wheel, is this pretty much the best FFB wheel on the market that is compatible with PC/both consoles?

Some notes: I would definitely prefer 360 support and would like to keep it under $300 if possible (I realize the shifters would make this more expensive)

1-D_FTW

Hey guys, been thinking about upgrading to a new wheel, is this pretty much the best FFB wheel on the market that is compatible with PC/both consoles?

Some notes: I would definitely prefer 360 support and would like to keep it under $300 if possible (I realize the shifters would make this more expensive)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455101

The best would be the elite, but it's got a hefty price tag few of us can rationalize.

sneaky77

I have one and is def good. But is my first wheel so is hard for me to compare to others

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Actually the best would be Leo's FFB wheel but it's $3800USD :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm looking to get into some racing sims, but I have no idea what to look for as far as wheels go. I don't want to spend a ton of money since I'm just starting and don't really know how much I'll play these games, but at the same time I don't want a cheap wheel that's not going to provide a good experience. I'd probably at least want pedals with the wheel, not having that seems like it would defeat the purpose. A shifter would be nice but I guess that could wait if it would lower the price much.

With that out of the way, I'm not even sure what price ranges I should be looking at for something "good enough." Is there anything worth looking at in the sub-$200 range?

mclaren777

Yes, the CSR Wheel is your best (and only) option for under $300.

With that out of the way, I'm not even sure what price ranges I should be looking at for something "good enough." Is there anything worth looking at in the sub-$200 range?
The Logitech DFGT is your best option and it can be found for $100-120 sometimes on Amazon.

Logitech website

Cptkrush

So I'm looking to get into some racing sims, but I have no idea what to look for as far as wheels go. I don't want to spend a ton of money since I'm just starting and don't really know how much I'll play these games, but at the same time I don't want a cheap wheel that's not going to provide a good experience. I'd probably at least want pedals with the wheel, not having that seems like it would defeat the purpose. A shifter would be nice but I guess that could wait if it would lower the price much.

Grab yourself a Driving Force GT, I had this wheel for about a year before bumping up to a fanatec, it did me well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015HYPOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the responses. That's cheap enough I might be able to get it as a gift since some people are still asking me what I want for Christmas :lol

I had seen that one but wasn't sure if it was good enough to bite on. I trust GAFs opinions on stuff like this and will probably get one myself if I nobody else buys it for me.

mclaren777

Managing content in rFactor 2

This diagrams gives an overview of how content comes into rFactor2 for single and multiplayer races.

Components are completed cars, tracks, sounds, UIs, HUDs, Skins or Showrooms. An individual race circuit is an example of a component. Using the 'All Cars and Track' race series in single player mode, you can take any car you have for a drive on any newly downloaded circuit.

Race series (or Mods) are a group of components with at least one car and track. Each has a unique ModID and can be tested online within the mod testing group while in development. Once it is complete, a Submit ID is generated and sent to the matchmaker. This submitted Mod now becomes available to the entire online community and is version-controlled to eliminate mismatch problems.

Mods can be created from scratch or by combining existing components created by other content creators. A Mod can contain virtual components, meaning it points to existing content but doesn't physically include it. This reduces redundant copies of the same components. A user who downloads a Mod containing virtual components will not be allowed to install it if those components don't already exist on their system. An error log will inform the user of any missing components.

iATTsdDnVFT6b.jpg

mclaren777

It looks like the P4/5 Competizione will be in GTR3.

ibijubwKXn7DqI.jpg

I think we can also safely say that Suzuka will be in the game...

After two and a half days of referencing, the total sum comes to 42 GB of photos taken on the track. Plus an additional of 15 GB of video shot from the track. A great score if you ask me! Here you see a very very small collage of the kind of photos we take during these visits. The aim is just to gather a complete picture of the track for the artist. Later we will go more in-depth of what reference we shoot and how we use it.

iZKNB7ihPquEV.jpg

Top Bottom