• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well, the majority of gamers are 99,9% of the time online while playing pvp, coop or single player (even when internet connectivity is not required). We have mobile devices and tablets with 4G connections, our laptops/desktops are always online but when it comes to gaming people tend to react with the "always online" requirement.

This reminds me of the X1 always online requirement back in 2013 which condemned the X1 launch even when ms changed that requirement.

It is not a big deal being always online especially when it comes to features and gaming innovation

But like many others, you don't get the point.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If true—unless the singleplayer portion is far, far less substantial than previews suggest (meaning it is a brief, glorified tutorial)—

I won't buy the game and neither will my friends.

And that would be very dissapointing since we really enjoyed playing the closed alpha.

Why?

Cool with me ill possibly buy it if they have another sudden change of heart. Probably not though since it's fairly tiring having to throw fits every time a company decides to do something stupid like this. I don't even really feel it's worth the effort for this game.

Maybe next time Ubi.

Yeah, won't be buying that then.

I've had super bad experiences with Ubisoft's "online experience" in single player games. I've lost entire hours of playtime in Ass Creed because of disconnects.

Plasma

Banned
Being always online for these games is just not needed let people play offline and sync their progress back up when they reconnect. It's not like Ubisoft have a great track record with this sort of thing either you'd have thought they would have learned their lesson by now.

I'd be outraged a few years ago, but times have changed.

Who are these people? Who are these people playing on a console not connected to the internet? Who are these people who will gladly download an 8GB day one patch with their always-online internet connection, and then post on an always-online forum about needing an internet connection?

Sure people say it's the principle of offline play that matters but when have you actually taken advantage of it?

College dorms. Rural areas. Cruise ships. Hotel rooms. Even oil rigs have internet these days. Yes your internet goes down sometimes. Less than 0.1% of the time. That 0.1% simply doesn't matter to developers or publishers when everyone else is online, all the time.

What if the game is a bomb and Vivendi, in a cost-cutting exercise, shut down the servers in 12 or 18 months?

Plenty of people purchase CoD for the campaign. If they didn't, Activision wouldn't invest so heavily in that aspect of the game very year.

I was kind of interested in For Honor, but no longer.

I didn't say people don't do that. There's a sucker born every minute. I think the majority has some sense in them and realizes the SP campaign in this game is probably nothing more than a glorified set of mp maps with cutscenes in between for a modicum of story. Not worth full price for sure.

SeanNoonan

So much entitled whining ITT.

There are benefits from this move; in theory, it could minimise cheating, which was a pretty big problem for The Division.

Also, if you're coming to this game exclusively for campaign, you're probably not quite understanding what this game is.

Disgraced

For the same reasons as everyone else. My connection can be unstable (as can Ubisoft's) and I don't believe there are good enough reasons for a game's singleplayer to be stuck with its online's lifespan. More personally, I think this sort of DRM that unnecessarily limits access to content is not only anti-consumer but anti-art.

Speaking with my friends (who were going to buy the game so we could play together) about the rumor a couple days ago, they felt the same way. And for the record, as a group we've abstained from games because of this before.

There are benefits from this move; in theory, it could minimise cheating, which was a pretty big problem for The Division.

Also, if you're coming to this game exclusively for campaign, you're probably not quite understanding what this game is.

Being always online doesn't stop cheaters. Look at the division. Try again.

Disgraced

I think you're misunderstanding what this game is if you think it's anything like The Division.

They've advertised a significant singleplayer campaign. They've also advertised it as playable offline.

If progression being tied to offline singleplayer makes it easer for cheaters then read my digital, random-internet-forum-guy lips: disconnect fucking progression from singleplayer. Disconnect it or connect it and get a good anti-cheat, motherfuckers.

Yeah, won't be buying that then.

I've had super bad experiences with Ubisoft's "online experience" in single player games. I've lost entire hours of playtime in Ass Creed because of disconnects.

I assume you play on PC because I have never lost playtime because of disconnects etc on ass creed on ps3 or 4

Xane

This.

Having a forced steady connection to a server doesn't automatically negate cheating (see The Division) but if properly implemented, does help reduce it to a minimum.

Look at the PC version of The Division.

A majority of the gameplay in The Division was client-authored and hence allowed for client-side hacks. Networking 101: Never, EVER trust the client. In order to combat cheating you need fully server-authored gameplay (see Diablo III).

Santar

Another game I won't play then.
Real shame how more and more publishets are becoming obsessed with unessesary always online.

It's not the first 'always online' game out there which will sell like peanuts (see The Division, Destiny or Titanfall 1) and it won't be the last. I don't understand the outrage.
I do not have a problem with the always online, now, the concept of the game and what I've seen so far.... that's another story

SeanNoonan

This.

Having a forced steady connection to a server doesn't automatically negate cheating (see The Division) but if properly implemented, does help reduce it to a minimum.

A majority of the gameplay in The Division was client-authored and hence allowed for client-side hacks. Networking 101: Never, EVER trust the client. In order to combat cheating you need fully server-authored gameplay (see Diablo III).

Yep, this. I don't expect consumers to understand these moves, but they're done with consideration for the game environment.

plushyp

The internet in my families apartment rarely goes down and when playing I'm always online, on PC or PS4.

However... It's not about, oh what if my internet drops or what if I'm in my hypothetical cabin in the woods. It's about not depending on someone else in this case an internet connection.

I want to play the game on my terms not on Ubisofts, when a game has a solo campaign that you can play alone and the gameplay or the graphics don't depend on the online connection it's not as if For Honor uses the "cloud" and if that's not the case than I want the "OPTION" for playing it offline.

They advertised that you could play online and now they went back on their word.

SeanNoonan

You're right, we can't even comprehend how hard we're getting fucked.

QwZWmg3.jpg

Please explain.

Still preordered for me and my friends because we didn't even knew that the game had a campaign. But yeah, i don't see why Ubi said that the game had offline stuff if that's not the case.

Ooh, another patented Ubisoft online experience huh? A year into Rainbow Six Siege (bless its cotton socks) and its still suffering from miserable server problems, outages and general malcontent. Hell, Ubi's own website servers, as well as Siege's, were down for at least a day last week. I'll look on as For Honor falls prey to Ubi's unique brand of connectivity woes.

Moongazer

Typical Ubisoft bait and switch.

They really should drop all pretense and make all their games online-only at this point.

I won't be the least bit surprised if GR Wildlands ends up being online only too and with the SP mode ditched.

Guess the game is on the waiting list then. Wasn't completely sold but Ubisoft must know that this news wouldn't be appreciated so the fact they pushed for it makes me feel justified to refuse purchasing it.

Kysuke

Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

This so much.

And lol at people who say they won't buy it for this reason.

So you are telling me you're willing to pay top dollar for a product and be perfectly fine with it not working at all?

That's not even the main concern. Most online-only games don't even function day one because servers can't handle it.

If it bothers you that much don't pay "top dollar" or on day one. Buy the game on its first same voila problems solved.

Top Bottom