• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Career and progression in Forza Motorsport is confirmed to be online-only

Disco Dave

YHS1Dvq.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

what if the servers go down? what if my ISP goes down? i cant play my fucking single player racing game that i paid 70 big ones for. its just creating more problems...and for what?
I'm just being silly reliving the Don Mattrick days, lol, It's hard to convey sarcasm online.

Guess what, previous Forza games also had leaderboards & drivatars. And they worked perfectly fine in offline mode, the social options simply weren't available in offline play.

This is bad news, because Forza servers aren't known for their stability, especially in the first days/weeks after launch.
I don’t believe leaderboards worked offline. You need to download user names, times, and ghosts to see the leaderboard information. Similar for posting times and ghosts, need to upload them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Please…there was so much to grill GT7 about, from the lackluster graphics to the rudimentary AI that made Driveatars look good…GT7 being always online was WAY down the list.

And to be honest, what gamer isn’t online anymore with their console? This is all a tempest in a teapot…
The thread blew up like wild fire to 10 pages deep before a mod shut it down.

And you can tell when people are talking about their ass about GT7 and its graphics. As in, never played it.

Especially after the XSX gameplay reveal yesterday.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Please…there was so much to grill GT7 about, from the lackluster graphics to the rudimentary AI that made Driveatars look good…GT7 being always online was WAY down the list.

And to be honest, what gamer isn’t online anymore with their console? This is all a tempest in a teapot…
Just need to know the long term plan when servers shut down. I don’t rent games.

Just need to know the long term plan when servers shut down. I don’t rent games.

All of the servers are still up for Forza games that are online, including delisted games. Not sure this is a concern until they actually kill online support for an older Forza title…

93xfan

Banned
And you can tell when people are talking about their ass about GT7 and its graphics. As in, never played it.
Does Sony even have an accessibility controller for my ass to play the game? Something I can sit on would be nice as long as it’s cushiony.

Last edited:
Lol? This can't be real.
You’ll see cherry picked shots, snippets from compressed YouTube videos, etc. to show Forza Motorsport in the worst way possible for much time to come. It gets really funny to see trolls continue to do it after we are all playing the game and know what it actually looks like. It’s almost always done by people who will never play the game. They seem worried that other might play it and enjoy it for some reason.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You’ll see cherry picked shots, snippets from compressed YouTube videos, etc. to show Forza Motorsport in the worst way possible for much time to come. It gets really funny to see trolls continue to do it after we are all playing the game and know what it actually looks like. It’s almost always done by people who will never play the game. They seem worried that other might play it and enjoy it for some reason.
It’s the endless back and forth both sides partake in since the dawn of racing games on the internet. It’s quite honestly the worst of console/platform wars, IMO.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
GOTY

what am I supposed to see here?
Some twitter warriors cherry picking some screens

Exactly, and the funny thing is the lighting conditions doesn't even match. Same shit happend to GT7 when they released the first gameplay trailers, twitter warriors start comparing it with Forza 7 on base Xbox one.

i dont understand the drama. is that comparison to be the same track?

Stay out of twitter, that place has some of the worst fanboys.

These companies want to turn gaming into a rental service ...but still charge $70

Its insane that this is happening right in front of our eyes and there's seemingly nothing that can be done about it.

Imagine if all the Igns, the big Youtubers, Forbes etc all made articles criticizing this ....it would stop them in their tracks!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah I'll be playing on PC through gamepass, so I will need to be online anyway to launch it.

tryDEATH

no you don't. you can play almost every gamepass game offline, both on PC and on Console. you have to check in once every 2 weeks or so
Really a 2 week authentication time period, it's the first time I reading this.

I assumed its on a daily authentication loop, do you have any official confirmation of this?

Banned
Really a 2 week authentication time period, it's the first time I reading this.

I assumed its on a daily authentication loop, do you have any official confirmation of this?

I think it's actually 30 days now that I think about it. there should be infos on that on their site.

Edit: for PC from their support site:
"Note PC Game Pass game licenses expire after 30 days when playing offline, and licenses for owned games expire after 14 days. To keep playing your game offline, go back online and launch the game."

Last edited:

Nydius

you can play almost every gamepass game offline, both on PC and on Console. you have to check in once every 2 weeks or so

Offline mode is only on PC.

I just tried on my Xbox by experimenting with Forza Horzion 5 and Skyrim SE. Launched both online so the 'license' would be freshly renewed. Shut down, disconnected my ethernet, restarted, tried loading them again. Was immediately met with the "For this game, you must be online" message. It's my only Xbox in the house and I'm not sharing profiles so it's set to home Xbox.

Banned

I just tried on my Xbox by experimenting with Forza Horzion 5 and Skyrim SE. Launched both online so the 'license' would be freshly renewed. Shut down, disconnected my ethernet, restarted, tried loading them again. Was immediately met with the "For this game, you must be online" message. It's my only Xbox in the house and I'm not sharing profiles so it's set to home Xbox.

I did this video a while ago when a similar topic came up.
and in that video I showed my Xbox being offline and me starting a gamepass games, one Xbox One game, and one Xbox 360 game.

all started up instantly without issue.
and I didn't even use my main account, I made a new account with a joke name like STFUNeoGaf or something, and did all of that with that account while my system was offline

Last edited:

Banned

I did this video a while ago when a similar topic came up.
and in that video I showed my Xbox being offline and me starting a gamepass games, one Xbox One game, and one Xbox 360 game.

all started up instantly without issue.
and I didn't even use my main account, I made a new account with a joke name like STFUNeoGaf or something, and did all of that with that account while my system was offline

made a quick video demonstrating it on Plague Tale.
the account I'm using to start it is not the account that is subscribed to Gamepass either btw. this is a secondary account that uses the benefits of the home console settings of the main account.

(account Details censored cuz real names n stuff)

Tunned

Although I'm always connected to the internet, I am always connected AT HOME. Assuming this entry of Forza runs fine on the Steam Deck, I won't actually be able to play it on the airplane. First world problems and all that, but single player should always be kept offline, there is no excuse for it to be always on.

FeralEcho

If I’m ever in a situation where my console(s) don’t have an internet connection, there is either an outage, which rarely happens. Or I’ve intentionally unplugged from the world for a few days.
Or they have server issues(Diablo 4 just recently released and I couldn't play at launch....solo....cuz the server was taking a shitter,Amazing experience for 70 euros) and they can pump microtransactions up your ass at any time.But hey...same old excuse by people..."don't you guys have phones"....erm I mean internet...Yes we all have fucking internet,what we lose îs our control over the product we paid money for.

TheShocker

Or they have server issues(Diablo 4 just recently released and I couldn't play at launch....solo....cuz the server was taking a shitter,Amazing experience for 70 euros) and they can pump microtransactions up your ass at any time.But hey...same old excuse by people..."don't you guys have phones"....erm I mean internet...Yes we all have fucking internet,what we lose îs our control over the product we paid money for.
If you lose your shit over a game having a server crash for a day or so, that’s on you. I have plenty of other things to do or games to play.

supernova8

Banned
Did Turn 10 not see the shit show with GT7?
Didn't GT7 sell pretty well in the end?

Lesson learned by Turn 10 is that people will complain initially but they'll buy it anyway.
Only game I recall removing recently-ish always-online after consumer backlash is Sim City, are there any other examples?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Shitty but unfortunately this is the new reality. People will buy it just like people buy Call of Duty micro transaction cosmetics at $24 a pop.

People are stupid sheep and that’s the reflection of current state of affairs in gaming and everything else.

Esppiral

Most people don’t care. GT 7 had issues, but always online was never the biggest one. It’s 2023 and people don’t care about always online anymore with so many service games out there now.
Most of those games are free to play, this one costs 80 €.....

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Or maybe people don’t care because they just want to be entertained for a while and don’t care about owning a piece of shit plastic box with plastic disc inside that will play for ever and ever until it decomposes? Hmmmm.

Top Bottom