• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Anything stand out as undercosted at the moment?

I see Abrade is up over a dollar since when I bought a playset last week and if the RDW deck is popular Earthshaker Kenra could go up some. Maybe God-Pharaoh's Gift?

I think monored will be the most played deck, so Khenras, Hazoret, Chandra, etc will probably go up.

was't dominaria pretty solid back after the medning?

Dominaria was a post-apacolyptic wasteland during the mending. Its only had a few hundred years to recover I think? And how it recovered has never been elaborated on. It would be odd to have it recover to the level of being able to oppose interplanar threats. Unless Bolas is actually afraid of Jodah, Jhoira, and Teferi, who probably represent more substantial threats to him than the plane itself or even the gatewatch.

And if the story never gets around to giving Gideon Worldslayer I'll be mad.

I think monored will be the most played deck, so Khenras, Hazoret, Chandra, etc will probably go up.

at the same time RDW and monument look like the decks to beat so it depends on whether pro teams were able to innovate somewhere.
Dominaria was a post-apacolyptic wasteland during the mending. Its only had a few hundred years to recover I think? And how it recovered has never been elaborated on. It would be odd to have it recover to the level of being able to oppose interplanar threats. Unless Bolas is actually afraid of Jodah, Jhoira, and Teferi, who probably represent more substantial threats to him than the plane itself or even the gatewatch.

And if the story never gets around to giving Gideon Worldslayer I'll be mad.

parts were a wasteland but societies like Lilis and the areas that got rejoined were pretty well developed. Like Shiv is pretty far advanced IIRC and the druidic enclaves persisted.

Justin

For a set that everyone complained about being garbage and containing no value for weeks and weeks on end there are now 15 cards over $5 and 20 over $3 (on Card Kingdom)

DrArchon

Guys, I've got it.

He's going to invade New Phyrexia and kill all of the Phyrexians. It's a total face-turn waiting to happen. Bolas was the good guy all along.

parts were a wasteland but societies like Lilis and the areas that got rejoined were pretty well developed. Like Shiv is pretty far advanced IIRC and the druidic enclaves persisted.

If Dominaria remained as it was in the past, Bolas could literally just walk in and occupy a continent or something unopposed. Now, I could totally see the army being justified by a drastic downsizing of the plane, like if Otaria broke off and became its own plane. What condition the plane is in is very much up for debate, and any answers likely get retconned by the upcoming set.

Tunoku

Kari Zev is 60 cents at Card Kingdom... they only have 1 copy in stock.

The red deck does not have a ton of choice when it comes to two drops. So unless you're splashing black for Scroungers, it's probably your only good option aside from Earthshaker. Makes sense. There's the 2 mana 4/3 though, I wonder if it has some potential together with Fire Temper inside the new red shell.

If Dominaria remained as it was in the past, Bolas could literally just walk in and occupy a continent or something unopposed. Now, I could totally see the army being justified by a drastic downsizing of the plane, like if Otaria broke off and became its own plane. What condition the plane is in is very much up for debate, and any answers likely get retconned by the upcoming set.
well if it's like the past there ought to be a treasure buried somehwere that trashes all over the eternals. Or someone with phasing shows up and laughs at them.

For a set that everyone complained about being garbage and containing no value for weeks and weeks on end there are now 15 cards over $5 and 20 over $3 (on Card Kingdom)
Cough that Saffron Olive point about Hour being Dragons 2.0 seems to be true with every passing day

Ashodin

Not for the first time, he marveled at how these planeswalkers had managed to stay alive as long as they had. They were children of a civilized and gelded age, these planeswalkers, this Gatewatch.

GODDAMN MILLENNIAL PLANESWALKERS

edit: aww yeah my boy Gideon definitely gonna be RW.

Second edit: yeah Bolas is going to Dominaria. He wants to control the plane so he can figure out how to undo the Mending.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is LSV going to be on commentary for this PT, or is he still in weird imposed exile with Gaby Spartz?

Magic Story - Hour of Devastation
* Bolas is enjoying being able to destroy things and have heroes fight him. It's good to just be a dragon sometimes.
* He marvels as they go for the straightforward tactic "kill the dragon" and wonders how they survived this long.

* Cut to Jace. Due to anger at all the destruction around them, they hadn't actually made a plan. Gideon believed that there had to be some justice to be found on Amonkhet, and Jace let himself get swept up in it too.
* Jace tries to attack Bolas's mind, but he has a hard time getting in anywhere. He finds himself remembering pieces of his fight with the sphinx on Vryn, but can't make sense of it.
* Bolas constantly smacks Gideon into a wall by wagging his tail, hardly paying attention to him. He ignores Chandra's fire and destroys Liliana's undead and Nissa's vines.
* Bolas attacks Jace's mind. Jace sees an opening and goes into his mind, but it was a trap. Jace planeswalks away as his memory is erased.

* Cut to Liliana. She knew this was a bad idea, but she had hoped Jace would come up with something.
* Bolas offers to wait until they get another mind mage, and promises not to pay attention to any plans they shout aloud.
* The Chain Veil tells Liliana to use it. Raven Man tells her to run away. She just wants her head to only have her own thoughts.
* Bolas tells her he knows how to use the Chain Veil without side effects. Raven Man tells her to listen to him while the Veil says otherwise.
* He says that if she stays, she will die. The safest place for her is under his service. She tells everyone to give up and run away. They refuse.
* She asks Bolas where he wants her to go. He says it doesn't matter, he'll find her when he needs her. She leaves.

* Chandra is angry at Liliana leaving.
* Bolas offers to join the Gatewatch as their necromancer, and asks about their application process.
* Chandra manages to knock him back with fire. This annoys him enough that he takes to the air.
* Bolas says she was easy to manipulate, and he really wanted to make this work, but her using fire against a dragon is below even his standards.
* Nissa had taken the time to summon large elementals which start wrestling Bolas. He destroys them and sends a chunk of one toward Chandra.
* Bolas picks up the injured Chandra, but Nissa attacks him with another big elemental and he drops her.
* Bolas corrupts the leylines Nissa is using. Nissa yells for Chandra to run away, and she does.

* Nissa thought her time in the Trial of Knowledge would lead her to greater things, but this battle has closed everything off. She thinks there had to have been a better way for the Gatewatch to handle things.
* She realizes the plane itself had submitted to Bolas long ago. She never stood a chance.
* Gideon distracts Bolas, giving Nissa time to planeswalk away.

* Gideon feels angry and helpless.
* Bolas tells him that for a tactician, he's the worst he's ever seen. Gideon realizes he stopped thinking rationally a long time ago.
* Bolas easily breaks through Gideon's invulnerability to stab his shoulder. He offers him the chance to run away and live.
* Part of Gideon wouldn't mind dying, but he does end up planeswalking away.

* Tezzeret arrives a few minutes later. Bolas chides him for being late. Tezzeret points out he took exactly as long to defeat them as he predicted. He offers to chase after them, but Bolas says there's no need.
* Tezzeret has an update, but Bolas says it can wait.
* It's matter of factly revealed that Ral Zarek works for Bolas.
* Bolas tells Tezzeret to fetch him, since his progress is too slow. He enjoys using Tezzeret for errands, since he's useless when satisfied.
* Bolas is done hiding in the shadows. He looks over the destroyed city, and for now, is content.

They destroyed the bridge IIRC but Tezzeret got the plans.
Didn't the artbook say something about him having absorbed the bridge into himself?

Regardless, we know that Team Bolas has the Means to make a bridge and has given the plans to the one person in the Multiverse who is both insane enough to try and smart enough to make it work.

I still don't get what Ral Zarek gets out of this though. Niv Mizzet's death?

Didn't the artbook say something about him having absorbed the bridge into himself?

Regardless, we know that Team Bolas has the Means to make a bridge and has given the plans to the one person in the Multiverse who is both insane enough to try and smart enough to make it work.

Most likely his continued existence.

Ashodin

And Vraska for that matter. What does the Golden City on Ixalan have that Bolas needs?

BURza would clearly be Grixis.

nicool_brolas_planswalker_by_itsfish3-d7b0gwc.jpg

Brolas approves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That story at the end says Bolas has the Planar Bridge. I thought Tezzeret didn't end up getting that on Kaladesh?

He didn't but for plot contrivance reasons Bolas now has a Planar Portal even though Planar Portals are dumb.

Thinking upon the story, I'm hit with two notes/things that pop out to me.

1) Bolas mentions he needs the Gatewatch. What exactly does he need them for?

2) Justice League is the totally wrong analogy for this now I think. This whole set up just screams "Fellowship of the Ring" to me. The story just screams "Breaking of the fellowship" to me

And Vraska for that matter. What does the Golden City on Ixalan have that Bolas needs?
I thought Vraska wasn't working with Bolas?

Ashodin

Bolas doesn't think of people as people, just tools. Planeswalkers beneath him are greater tools. They just need to be broken in.

Thinking upon the story, I'm hit with two notes/things that pop out to me.

1) Bolas mentions he needs the Gatewatch. What exactly does he need them for?

He at least tangibly needs Jace. If Jace were to die and Ravnica became uncontrolled it could be possible for Niv Mizzet to seize power. Or, if Niv Mizzet were to find out his plans, then he can use Jace to silver bullet him because Guildpact.

But it's really probably because he needs to absorb walker sparks or something.

Also, Urza and Venser made it safe for living non-planeswalkers to planeswalk with only some spare parts in a cave, but Bolas needs thousands of years of planning to get the undead from plane to plane. Some all powerful dragon he is.

OnPoint

Also, Urza and Venser made it safe for living non-planeswalkers to planeswalk with only some spare parts in a cave, but Bolas needs thousands of years of planning to get the undead from plane to plane. Some all powerful dragon he is.

Didn't they change the nature of the 'walk?

Didn't they change the nature of the 'walk?

They changed the nature of the spark, making the walkers themselves weaker, the blind eternities didn't get stronger or anything. Venser made his ship after the mending and Koth got mad at him for it. So its still totally possible until they retcon it.

Why would niv mizzet be a concern for Bolas? He ain't even an elder.

If you could easily control the most powerful known magical society wouldn't you? And further, wouldn't you not want anyone else to bring said society under their heel?

Ashodin

Basically you need a device to emit a separation field that projects basically the same energy that a spark does to "bridge the gap". And when you pass through it's not unlike passing through a door, you just are suddenly "there".

Granted this would have a lot of real-world issues such as stepping into different gravity, different climate, etc. A regular person would have "plane lag" not unlike jet lag.

Eternals do not have this drawback. They are magic skellies.

I always preorder the full set once it's available. Bought 3 sets of the last Commander decks and now I'm sitting on 2 unopened Atraxa decks that have gone up to $100+

That's cool. I noticed that they were over $100 on eBay even though I still see them at my local Walmart. In fact I saw a Japanese Atraxa deck tonight at Walmart. Is that one worth picking up?

Card Boy

Banned
I always preorder the full set once it's available. Bought 3 sets of the last Commander decks and now I'm sitting on 2 unopened Atraxa decks that have gone up to $100+

Commander decks always go up in price. If anyone has any intrest im them its a good purchase. Even Stalwart Unity will go up in price from next year.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm in Portugal right now, and went to two different shops to see if I could get some Portuguese boosters. Eventually at the second shop I was told they haven't done Portuguese boosters in the country since born of the gods, only for Brazil. I was shocked.

pigeon

Banned
I'm in Portugal right now, and went to two different shops to see if I could get some Portuguese boosters. Eventually at the second shop I was told they haven't done Portuguese boosters in the country since born of the gods, only for Brazil. I was shocked.

This is super conventional for localization nowadays. People don't even do Portuguese Portuguese, just Brazilian Portuguese.

Kerrinck

Any recommendations for sleeves to showcase foil cards? Currently using perfect size and dragon shield matte.
It's probably a silly question but I wanna see them shine.

A_Dang

I wanted to write a bit more in-depth post reflecting on the Battle of the Planes sealed event now that I've sorted through the cards I opened and spent more time thinking about how it went.

As I mentioned, it was really tough sorting through 10 packs of cards from different sets. That is part of the appeal, but don't underestimate the challenge and time needed if you plan on attempting a similar event.

My primary motivation in setting in hosting the event was to selfishly have a chance to splurge on some expensive packs and hopefully crack some fun cards (which is why I picked Mirrodin/New Phyrexia, blocks that I'd never get packs of otherwise). This means that I was not very worried about making a good or competitive deck. With that in mind I was actually pretty pleased with the pack opening. I did not pull any chase rare or big value cards, but value still tallied up decently. Sure, opening and Aether Vial, or even a Blightsteel would have been really sweet, but I ended up cards like a Paradise Mantle, Leonin Abunas, Go for the Throat, Proteus Staff, Eternal Witness, Gitaxian Probe, Phyrexian Unlife and, the most expensive pull for me, a foil Serum Visions (...that I'll never use...).

All that to say: Keep you expectations in check and know what you are getting into. It's a weird mix between sealed and constructed with the amount of packs being used to build a deck. If you are trying to make super synergistic and competitive decks (like a constructed deck), you will be disappointed, if you are planning for slower style sealed decks...you"ll also be a little disappointed. I got what I was looking for out of in, and I believe that the other participants did too. The other players are all almost exclusively commander players and also viewed the event as an opportunity to bolster their collections and maybe get something sweet for a deck they may be working on.

I also wanted to chime in on the recent news about the Un-Set. I have been very critical of the old un-sets and vocal about how un-funny I anticipate the next one to be. That said, I get the sense that this un-set will really feel more like a mix of the old un-sets and conspiracy...which seems way better than it could have been. Don't get me wrong: I still would argue that silver border sets are not something Wizards should be doing and that the ideas being teased out in them would be better served in some other supplemental black bordered set, but this is still not as bad as I expected it to be.

I guess, consider this as me backing off of my hard line on un-sets.

TL;DR: Battle of the Planes can be sweet with proper expectations, and un-sets may not be the downfall of MTG.

red13th

The translation is really bad in Portuguesecards anyway so you're not missing much. I'm really annoyed that they are now translating Commander decks in Brazil since 2016 so I no longer have access to them in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom