• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Team Sealed is the best format, Team LMS is the second best.

Those events are great. The issues w/ the PT team format don't have to do w/ them, it has to do w/ magic being a godawful spectator game.

Santiako

Archfiend, Hapatra, Decimator, Hooded B, Decimator!

That's like the most insane pack 3 I can remember.

EDIT: He even hatedrafted a card!

I don't know why they think anyone cares about the teams
Magic is not a team game

Team formats are both way, way more fun and way, way more skill-testing than single versions of those formats across the board, and pushing team branding makes it easier to let people "follow" the competitive game without having to remember and track every individual player.

Wizards is terrible at choosing background music and musical cues in general.
There was a really good reddit post on the structural issues for women w/ the GP/PTQ lifestyle- the biggest barriers aren't deliberate, though the PPTQ system has helped some.
Got me curious now, I'd be interested in gender breakdowns in GPs and PTQs in general you just know Wizards is keeping track.

ironmang

nothing against women in a boysclub except inherent misogyny

What does that even mean? There are female commentators, judges, artists, designers, some grinders, and until recently the director of organized play. As well as a company that is pretty progressive. Problem is few women care about the competitive side and that holds true for most other competitive games.

kirblar

Wizards is terrible at choosing background music and musical cues in general.

Got me curious now, I'd be interested in gender breakdowns in GPs and PTQs in general you just know Wizards is keeping track.
They're low. But they're also low in literally every competitive game open to both genders. There was one study that found that for women, they liked Competitive/Co-op bomberman play equally. But w/ the dudes, they liked co-op just about as much as the girls but Competitive was like crack to them. I can link this stuff later, but it's a really complicated issue w/ no easy answers, and it's also a "problem" that may not have a "solution", in a Nordic Gender Paradox sort of way.

The thing is, of course, that if you build "it" ("it" being an open welcoming environment for people regardless of background) they may not come. (in the numbers you expect/desire) But you should build it anyway.

LSV looks like he's put on a lot of weight
of course, after getting in a relationship with gaby he let himself go

/s
What does that even mean? There are female commentators, judges, artists, designers, some grinders, and until recently the director of organized play. As well as a company that is pretty progressive. Problem is few women care about the competitive side and that holds true for most other competitive games.
Yes wizard is doing a reasonable amount of stuff to make every aspect of MTG welcoming but that doesn't immediately translate to groups dominated by one gender.

traveler

Not Wario
Random question- has anyone else had trouble getting onto the CFB site the past couple days? I keep trying every day to preorder the commander set but the store specifically is down every time I go. Tried on IE and Chrome.

Santiako

That the Pro Tour prize is still 50k is kinda sad.

Random question- has anyone else had trouble getting onto the CFB site the past couple days? I keep trying every day to preorder the commander set but the store specifically is down every time I go. Tried on IE and Chrome.

Works fine for me.

Violet_0

Banned
Team formats are both way, way more fun and way, way more skill-testing than single versions of those formats across the board, and pushing team branding makes it easier to let people "follow" the competitive game without having to remember and track every individual player.

it's just that, in constructed, everyone is there to see the best players and decks. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't really matter if 3 players of team x are in the top 8 or team y has gained 30 points this season. It just feel like an unnecassary extra layer that is there because they try to reach out to the e-sport Hearthstone crowd

what they really need to do is to find a way to give the audience more information about what cards the players are holding or what was in the pack they were drafting from. If you don't know the sets, you only see the players constantly shuffeling their hands and need to rely on the commentators, who also only work off limited information based on the glimpses they get from the player's hands. Something like the cameras below glass panels on poker tables would be a start

it's just that, in constructed, everyone is there to see the best players and decks. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't really matter if 3 players of team x are in the top 8 or team y has gained 30 points this season. It just feel like an unnecassary extra layer that is there because they try to reach out to the e-sport Heartstone crowd

what they really need to do is to find a way to give the audience more information about what cards the players are holding or what was in the pack they were drafting from. If you don't know the sets, you only see the players constantly shuffeling their hands and need to rely on the commentators, who also only work on limited information based on the glimpses they get from the player's hands. Something like the cameras below glass panels on poker tables would be a start

I mean, there's a very long history of individual-skill games having teams, if only for logistical reasons. Look at Motorsport.

bigkrev

Magic prize pools are spread out over a lot of people (top 64). My only frame of reference for Esports is FGC, Where you ain't making anything without a top 8

ironmang

Could be better but I don't think it's unreasonably low. CSGO just had a major with 1st getting 500k but that's split at least between the 5 players and probably some goes to coaches/managers. That's also a game with some actual advertising potential from 400-500k+ concurrent viewers.

Magic prize pools are spread out over a lot of people (top 64). My only frame of reference for Esports is FGC, Where you ain't making anything without a top 8

Even then it's not that great. Melee winner from Evo this year got less than 9k lol. The 7-8 players got $142.

Zocano

Even then it's not that great. Melee winner from Evo this year got less than 9k lol. The 7-8 players got $142.

That's literally only cause Nintendo are a piece of shit company that don't support any of their fans and don't offer any (literally $0) prize support for events. Whereas Capcom drops a lot for things like EVO.

kirblar

Your frame of reference needs to be poker events. Also things like Tennis and Golf.

FGC events don't pay out to nearly enough people, it's an actual issue (that Keits has been really vocal on.)

Santiako

Bram Snepvangers's deck seems terrible. Relying on 2 Torment of Hailfire to try and win behind a bunch of walls and an hour of revelation is not a winning line I think.

Bram Snepvangers's deck seems terrible. Relying on 2 Torment of Hailfire to try and win behind a bunch of walls and an hour of revelation is not a winning line I think.

I mean, it could have won him the first game (he had a Sandblast in hand to back up the initial board clear on Hour), but he decided that six permanents just wasn't good enough value for his board sweeper against an opponent with no Eternalize/Embalm creatures.

Santiako

this game really wasn't as amazing as marshall and paul tried to sell it would have much referred watching kentaro's busted deck for al 3 rounds just doing its thing

Yeah, we saw less than an a minute of Kentaro's game and it was better than Sigrist's whole round. I hope they show him for the next one, I really want to see that deck in action.

I mean, it could have won him the first game (he had a Sandblast in hand to back up the initial board clear on Hour), but he decided that six permanents just wasn't good enough value for his board sweeper against an opponent with no Eternalize/Embalm creatures.

Yeah, he really just wants to durlde for ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom