• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Londoners' fury at MoD plans to put Olympic missiles on roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought these things were handling all of the Olympic security.

london-olympic-mascots-2012-e1274295066706.jpg

shitty teletubbies

Elev8ion

Neo Member
I thought the Olympic committee required this sort of thing?

I know when the Olympics were in Atlanta that there were FBI, CIA, and Delta ops implanted into the Olympic village (read it in an article somewhere) and that the military bases along the Southeastern part of the US were ready to respond to any "threat."

All this and a pipe bomb was still set off!

PJV3

If you make it past the missiles you still have to queue at Heathrow for 3 hours, we don't want your bloody money.

Imagine if an attack happened at the Olympics that could have been prevented with the use of missiles. Then you'd see real 'fury'.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Imagine if an attack happened at the Olympics that could have been prevented with the use of missiles. Then you'd see real 'fury'.

I think there is more chance of a terrorist trying to target these than getting a plane or something and attacking via air...

This question was posed recently and someone from the MoD just waffled a responce out...

What a bullshit headline, there's no fury at all.

Seriously:

Londoners' fury at MoD plans to put Olympic missiles on roofs
But residents are concerned about their homes being turned into a weapon platform and have complained that the extent of the MoD's consultations over the missiles has been little more than posting leaflets through their door.
"It's totally unsuitable..."

That's some fury there.

GJS

I haven't heard of any fury, I didn't think anyone gave a shit.

Anyone can understand why they are there, although it's very unlikely that a hijacking with the aim of crashing the plane will ever work again.

I think there is more chance of a terrorist trying to target these than getting a plane or something and attacking via air...

Terrorists have no reason to target a missile emplacement occupied by the army over targeting the transport routes, stadiums, and areas of high populace during the Olympics.

Targeting the emplacements would be even less likely than attempting to hijack an aeroplane again, as it is a minimal impact target. In my eyes the risk is too high to attempt an operation to disable these and attempt to hijack an aeroplane at the same time, it's not an attractive option to a terrorist organisation.

It would be far easier now and more attractive for these organisations to independently organise for people to carry out multiple lone or small cell attacks on the ground in high populace areas, with no contact between those who are carrying them out. If they are smart enough to do this and eliminate all the communication then no one would see it coming, most groups luckily don't seem to be able to do this.

I imagine one of the IRA groups could pull it off due to the ease of moving around between Ireland and within the UK without raising as much suspicion. They seem pretty adept at dropping off bombs in places without people realising too but they give people too long to see that it is suspicious.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
I bet London is going to be so fun during the Olympics.

I really enjoy going over the pond, but would not go during the Olympics if you paid me large sums of money which I will never see in my lifetime.

I just think it's going to get a little overwhelming for Londoners....of course I could be wrong.

Stet

Banned
The Olympics... creating peace and harmony every 4 years
because no one gives a shit about the winter olympics...not even evildoers

Nobody cares about the winter olympics. Wait, the U.S. is in the hockey finals? GO U.S.A.! Oh, they lost. Nobody cares about the winter olympics.

leadbelly

Banned
You know, I'm actually kind of wondering what the weather is going to be like. Summer seems to pass us by these days.

The weather has been pretty atrocious of late. It has been predicted that May is going to be the coldest for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if every day of the Olympics is just rain. lol

Emily Chu

Banned
whats with all these missile news stories ?

russian doing a first strike on US missile defense and now this

also I ran that as Mcdonalds missile defense for some reason

what is this fucking 1957?

Kinyou

Overall it probably makes sense, it's just one of those things that leaves me with an uneasy feeling (even though there's no real reason for that), similar to snipers during a football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom