• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea claims new ICBM to guarantee eventual nuclear strike on U.S. mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP90

They found someone who could jump really high?

2EOuaLF.gif
Came here for something as awesome as this! Haha.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I know the NK leaders are batshit so their reasoning doesn't matter and its basically they hate us cause they aint us but publicly, what is their stated grief with the US? What do they pretend we've done that warrants a nuclear attack?

Piggus

I know the NK leaders are batshit so their reasoning doesn't matter and its basically they hate us cause they aint us but publicly, what is their stated grief with the US? What do they pretend we've done that warrants a nuclear attack?

Basically we divided the country, all of their problems are our fault, we're the ones keeping them down, Americans want to rape and kill North Korean babies, etc etc etc.

PSqueak

Banned
Meanwhile out abilities to shoot down those missiles are getting better and better, and in the chance they did say "ah fuck it, fire away!" Pyongyang would literally cease to exist within the half hour.

What about them firing at Seul first? What about their nuke malfunctioning and cratering another, unprepared for, nation?

I know it's not considered decent behavior too off political leaders via precision attacks, but I don't see why letting this man continue to live if the more moral action.

PSqueak

Banned
I know it's not considered decent behavior too off political leaders via precision attacks, but I don't see why letting this man continue to live if the more moral action.

Political assasination would fuel whoever is put on his place to go full on invasion of South Korea and make the war he's been too afraid to start so far a reality.
Possibly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If there's one thing that's clearly going to result in North Korea being a stable and prosperous pacifist country, it's a Kim dying in office.

qcf x2

When did the CIA stop assassinating despots? Might be a good time to reactivate some Cold War assets.

Recently, when the public largely realized it makes things worse.

NK along with their ugly ass leader would be glassed if they ever did that.

So would the rest of the world, since China would not like having nuclear fallout on our behalf. And that's really the only thing that's scary about it, is IF they felt threatened enough to do so (basically if a Kim feels the end is in sight) and they press that button, the entire world would never be the same.

If there's one thing that's clearly going to result in North Korea being a stable and prosperous pacifist country, it's a Kim dying in office.

Do we know anything about the peoplle below him? Are we sure the outcome would be poor or that it would start a war between north and south?

I think it's clear sanctions won't do anything but continue the status quo. I'm of the opinion that some form of force and destabilization of the region will have to happen eventually.

Are we just waiting for Chna to get fed up as well?

Lets say they could launch a nuke. If they actually did it, the nuke would be destroyed by the US and North Korea would no longer exist about 5 seconds later.

Square2015

Basically we divided the country, all of their problems are our fault, we're the ones keeping them down, Americans want to rape and kill North Korean babies, etc etc etc.
Isn't this similar to what the Japaneses thought before WWII, and that the U.S. would come after them sooner or later so they had to make a preemptive strike (Pearl Harbor)?

America would be able to blow these missiles out of the sky and retaliate in minutes.

America has nothing to fear...

South Korea and the city of Seoul on the other hand....

Kim has his own country, there's almost no chance that he'd throw away everything he's got just to take a swing at the US. Dictators of his ilk aren't like ISIS, they're motivated by personal gains and have no desire to upset the status quo.

Jedi2016

Blah blah blah.

The only people these sort of statements can possibly be aimed at are their own people, to drum up some kind of patriotism. Because no one else in the world is even listening anymore, much less actually believing any of it.

Matt_C

Yeah, and what if he was a Nazi too?

I know that that Il is bad news but if he were to be a Nazi sympathizer, wouldn't he praise Imperial Japan instead of demonizing them and antagonize Bejing? Regardless dictatorship is a dictatorship so North Korea is still a non free nation regardless of ideology.

aliengmr

Not that simple. They have South Korea in artillery range. They'd turn Seoul to rubble in minutes.

That's not going to do anything but piss the world off. NK can defend itself and saber rattle, that's it. The moment they become the aggressor or start causing too much trouble for China, they're done.

Killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people won't lift the sanctions on their country.

Erevador

Not that simple. They have South Korea in artillery range. They'd turn Seoul to rubble in minutes.
If the North Korean government was ever desirous and capable of executing such an action successfully (two things I consider unlikely, but not impossible) then they would themselves be wiped from the earth minutes after. It would be a tragic situation with no precedent in the last 60 years, and would quite certainly be the end of North Korea forever.

Log4Girlz

I'm so curious as to how this will all play out. Will NK just build up missiles to guarantee isolation forever. Will we ever decide to go to war.

What about them firing at Seul first? What about their nuke malfunctioning and cratering another, unprepared for, nation?

My point is, they can sabre rattle until the end of time, but unless Kimmy has a death wish he knows than any nuclear strike he attempts will end in utter annihilation. He's an egomaniac waggling around his (rubber extension on his) dick, but he's not going to literally kill himself.

My point is, they can sabre rattle until the end of time, but unless Kimmy has a death wish he knows than any nuclear strike he attempts will end in utter annihilation. He's an egomaniac waggling around his (rubber extension on his) dick, but he's not going to literally kill himself.

And what if eventually gets terminally ill and want to go out with a bang?

High-ranking DPRK officials would rather stay in power and not go out with a bang, regardless of the wishes of a senile Dear Leader. They're not a suicide cult.
High-ranking DPRK officials may not have enough control over the chain of command to avoid a direct order of nuclear strike to be executed after being given and Dear Leader might not be entirely honest with them about his health.

Kolx

I feel like many people in this thread forgot that NK isn't just kim jong un and his army. There are a whole notion of suppressed people you know in there.

The last time I heard about the subject was years ago, and at the time we had practically nothing reliable. Can you find some articles where that has changed?

Has it?
Don't we have high altitude planes equipped with lasers that can, theoretically, shoot down ICBMs?

High-ranking DPRK officials may not have enough control over the chain of command to avoid a direct order of nuclear strike to be executed after being given and Dear Leader might not be entirely honest with them about his health.

I'd say the risk is more from the other direction. How confident are we that the command and control systems they have are robust enough to protect any nuclear weapons from rogue groups or individuals within the regime?

KyleCross

I just want the people of NK to be free, they deserve a better life. It'll be really terrible if they get caught in a nuclear crossfire.

Nivash

Don't we have high altitude planes equipped with lasers that can, theoretically, shoot down ICBMs?

No, that project was determined a failure and ended years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1

Fact of the matter is that no nation, the US included, have anything close to resembling a reliable anti-ICBM defense. I suppose there is a chance that a North Korean missile could end up intercepted if conditions are optimal bur I wouldn't bet on it. If anything, I'd bet against it.

The sad fact is that the one reliable counter is executing a preventive strike of your own which is a clear declaration of war. If a strike like that fails it could even trigger a launch. There are no safe or easy options on the table.

mclem

Presumably the rhetoric in the OP was meant to be punctuated by this missile test that occurred earlier this morning.

Meant to be being the operative word; it appears that it didn't quite go to plan.

Maxim726X

Meanwhile out abilities to shoot down those missiles are getting better and better, and in the chance they did say "ah fuck it, fire away!" Pyongyang would literally cease to exist within the half hour.

Edit- Well, guess the anti ICMB program has been a failure.

But, they would be assuring their own annihilation.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's all fun and games until they actual pop one off. I hope they don't, but really, I don't see why they couldn't eventually get one to make it here. Hopefully the National Missle Defense systems are pretty clutch. Because the situation is like an opposite "cried wolf" scenario.

NK: We're gonna blow you up.
US: Oh shit
*nothing*

US: Can u stop
*nothing*

US: sure bud
*nothing*

US: lmao stfu
*nothing*

US: yawn
*actually does it*

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Kim's been pissed at China for awhile now, and China's been pissed at Kim. I'm not sure they have much pull with them anymore.

We don't have reliable anti-icbm systems. If we did get nuked by North Korea, the most immediate way to prevent further nukes would be to launch ICBMs back. We wouldn't bother with a conventional war.

But if it did somehow end up as a conventional war, North Korea has the 4th largest millitary(Ironically, it's larger than China's). It would be bloody.

That doesnt matter, they are not even well fed, most of their weapons are old Russian WW2 stuff. If convectional war does happen, US can finish the job within days. They wouldn't even have to send their soldiers on ground. Airforce Airforce and Airforce.

I just want the people of NK to be free, they deserve a better life. It'll be really terrible if they get caught in a nuclear crossfire.

I agree, really feel bad for those people.

Andodalf

Banned
That doesnt matter, they are not even well fed, most of their weapons are old Russian WW2 stuff. If convectional war does happen, US can finish the job within days. They wouldn't even have to send their soldiers on ground.
Airforce Airforce and Airforce.

I agree, really feel bad for those people.

Yep. Modern war is all about dropping more bombs than your enemy, so having Air Superiority is the most important thing. America could destroy every NK plane in a heartbeat. People complain about how much the U.S. spends on new fighters, but they're the best line of defense in the world.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A bit offtopic, but you guys need to see the Google comments on Ryugyong Hotel(that famous incomplete pyramid hotel from North korea). Some golden stuff in there.

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&e...l&lrd=0x357e1d28b5fb28e3:0x384f012770dd52cb,1,,

This place was great! My favorite part of the room was the concrete floors. I must admit, the view was beautiful. I could even see the frozen Kim Jong Il. The windows weren't installed yet, but since they hadn't put in AC yet, it was nice to have a breeze going through.

The labour camps were amazing - authentic feel that bright me straight back through time to 1944 Germany. Food rations were a bit dry, and they left a funny taste in my mouth. My back is also very stiff from all the hailing and bowing to the Supreme Leader (that dude needs a step stool, amiright?). Overall, loved the East Berlin architectural styles... beautiful greys mixed with an occasional white. The room service was amazing, they carried me everywhere! (Literally, I was blindfolded so they had to). I give it a 10/10, would be called a capitalist pig again.

No wonder no one takes their threats seriously.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yep. Modern war is all about dropping more bombs than your enemy, so having Air Superiority is the most important thing. America could destroy every NK plane in a heartbeat. People complain about how much the U.S. spends on new fighters, but they're the best line of defense in the world.

That's one thing liberal that I will disagree with all day. A lot of the world hates the USA. Keep the military buff af

Dirca

Have they released another video with 1996 era cgi yet? Hopefully their computers have updated to Windows 98, so we can get some 1999 style cgi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom