• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea claims development of hydrogen bomb for ICBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Retuers
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Sunday it has developed a more advanced nuclear weapon that has ”great destructive power" and leader Kim Jong Un inspected a hydrogen bomb that will be loaded on a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

The report by North Korea's official KCNA news agency comes amid heightened regional tension following Pyongyang's test launch of two ICBM-class missiles in July that potentially had a range of about 10,000 km (6,200 miles) that could hit many parts of the mainland United States.

Experts and officials have said North Korea could conduct its sixth nuclear test at any time, and that the reclusive country has maintained a readiness at its nuclear test site to conduct another detonation test at any time.

Kim visited the country's Nuclear Weapons Institute and ”watched an H-bomb to be loaded into new ICBM," KCNA said. ”All components of the H-bomb were homemade and all the processes ... were put on the Juche basis, thus enabling the country to produce powerful nuclear weapons as many as it wants, he said."

Yonhap
In January 2016, North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test, which Pyongyang claimed to be a successful test of a hydrogen bomb. Outside experts said that it appeared to be a test of a boosted fission weapon, rather than an H-bomb.

North Korea has carried out five nuclear tests since 2006 including two last year. It is seeking to develop a nuclear weapon small enough to be mounted on an ICBM.

It really doesn't matter to be honest. If NK is a nuclear power now how strong their weapons get doesn't change the equation.

taoofjord

The cocky, dick waving first posts in these threads are always so obnoxious. Who cares if they’re lying or not. It’s only a matter of time before they have them.

The cocky, dick waving first posts in these threads are always so obnoxious. Who cares if they're lying or not. It's only a matter of time before they have them.

That's not so much the issue; I think we can safely assume they already have launch-able nukes. If they really wanted to launch a nuke strike on SK or a similarly close enemy right now, likely they could (and I say this underestimating the power of the western allies to swat whatever they fire out of the sky like a fly, though)

Kim Jong Un and his inner circle do not want to die, he likes his current impact on the world stage from his hermit nation too much; if he did something similar to what I described above, he surely would.

Dickwaving at its finest, is all this (and all that has proceeded this), is. What he wants is reactions by western powers like what you posit, not actually following through.

Kthulhu

The cocky, dick waving first posts in these threads are always so obnoxious. Who cares if they’re lying or not. It’s only a matter of time before they have them.

A hydrogen bomb? Lol they're years away from having one, esspecially miniaturizing it.

This is nothing but hot air, like every threat NK makes.

Man it's like the leadership there has a death wish. I hope they know we have a moron as president who would probably nuke them without a single thought - even if it puts us at risk because: can't make an omlette. Amirite.

Cub3h

Banned
Does this change anything? I'm thinking no.

This changes everything, if true. H bombs are an order of magnitude bigger than "normal" fission nukes. Think a neighbourhood of LA destroyed vs all of LA wiped out completely.

epmode

If it's true (I'm doubtful) I don't see how hydrogen ICBMs vs nuclear makes a significant difference.

This changes everything, if true. H bombs are an order of magnitude bigger than "normal" fission nukes. Think a neighbourhood of LA destroyed vs all of LA wiped out completely.

A city would be fucked either way. The fallout from a conventional nuke would already render a huge portion of a city uninhabitable,

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If it's true (I'm doubtful) I don't see how hydrogen ICBMs vs nuclear makes a significant difference.

The claim is this bomb can be loaded onto an ICBM. If they don't have that capability with their supposed nuclear weapons, then yes it is different.

How powerful are hydrogen bombs? Think of it this way: They use atomic bombs just as a trigger.
Atomic weapons like those previously tested by North Korea rely on nuclear fission to release energy — basically splitting atoms. The bombs dropped by the United States on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II used this technology to release explosive power equivalent to about 15 and 20 kilotons (1,000 metric tons) of TNT, respectively.
Hydrogen bombs use nuclear fusion, in which atoms fuse together, to release even greater amounts of energy. The two-stage process is often referred to as a thermonuclear reaction. The first hydrogen bomb tested by the United States in November 1952 released the equivalent energy of 10,000 kilotons (or 10 megatons) of TNT

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/01/06/h-bombs-vs--bombs-explained/78347150/

theWB27

Is someone helping them advance their tech? Or is the homemade claim true?

@Electric

Damn how can brothers have that much talent between them.

Is someone helping them advance their tech.

That someone? You guessed it...Frank Stallone.

MI0001467866.jpg

royalan

They've conducted 5 nuclear tests and their missile technology has improved with each test. What part of this story is so impossible to believe? At some point the claim will be true.

Exactly.

At some point a move needs to be made. Continuing to say "they're not serious" is just becoming monumentally stupid as NK presses forward developing their nuclear program and escalating their threats.

epmode

At some point a move needs to be made.

Define "a move". Because it sounds like you're advocating a preventative strike which would result in hundreds of thousands to millions of deaths. Attacking NK is a terrible idea even if they just have plain old nuclear weapons.

brian577

Banned
Exactly.

At some point a move needs to be made. Continuing to say "they're not serious" is just becoming monumentally stupid as NK presses forward developing their nuclear program and escalating their threats.

What do you suggest? We should be millions at risk because they say so. Until they actually do something that's not a risk worth taking.

royalan

Define "a move". Because it sounds like you're advocating a preventative strike which would result in hundreds of thousands to millions of deaths. Attacking NK is a terrible idea even if they just have plain old nuclear weapons.

That's a whole lot of words you just put in my mouth.

What do you suggest? We should be millions at risk because they say so. Until they actually do something that's not a risk worth taking.

I don't know, and I never suggested I do know. But standing back going "tsk tsk he's bluffing" as they develop nuclear weapons and fire missiles over Japan is just becoming increasingly worrisome, because we seem to be reaching the point where countless lives could be at risk either way.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Because this discussion always becomes "well, should we do anything?" I think some people feel the ned to roll their eyes at every claim NK makes to signal to others they are not in favor of a nuclear first strike or whatever.

You can acknowledge that NK has the ability to keep advancing their technology without it meaning "attack now!"

JordanN

Banned
If North Korea ever fired a nuke, they're as good as dead.

South Korea is still several light years ahead of them in economy and military. On top of having the full backing of the United States.

The threat of North Korea reminds me of Cuba or other communist countries. They're too insignificant for anyone to pay attention to them in a real war. They'll continue to postur and beg for money, meanwhile, they're still this 3rd world country that can barely afford its own electricity.

Kthulhu

Are people forgetting they fired a rocket over Japan? We know nothing of their capabilities because they act out so irrationally. We can not predict their movements.

Shooting a missile over Japan was just a show of force. They know that if they did try and hit Japan they'd see a retaliation they couldn't fight against.

Log4Girlz

A hydrogen bomb? Lol they're years away from having one, esspecially miniaturizing it.

This is nothing but hot air, like every threat NK makes.

I keep hearing this... yet they have miniaturized nukes and ICBMs that people swore they couldn't have.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Shooting a missile over Japan was just a show of force. They know that if they did try and hit Japan they'd see a retaliation they couldn't fight against.
They still did it. This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further. Sticking our heads in the sand is just going to hurt us in the long run. What action needs to be taken I don't know, I'm not a military personnel with that kind of knowledge but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Kthulhu

I keep hearing this... yet they have miniaturized nukes and ICBMs that people swore they couldn't have.

I don't recall anyone credible saying they'd never have them.

They still did it. This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further. Sticking our heads in the sand is just going to hurt us in the long run. What action needs to be taken I don't know, I'm not a military personnel with that kind of knowledge but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Unless countries like China stop trading with them than nothing is going to happen. The US and a lot of it's allies have already sanctioned them to hell and back, there isn't much else you can do without starting a war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom