• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea claims development of hydrogen bomb for ICBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCobra

nNyRazc.jpg

Kpjo4hh.jpg
Those haircuts make 0 sense, where are the fades?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They still did it. This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further. Sticking our heads in the sand is just going to hurt us in the long run. What action needs to be taken I don't know, I'm not a military personnel with that kind of knowledge but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Yeeeep.

epmode

They still did it. This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further. Sticking our heads in the sand is just going to hurt us in the long run. What action needs to be taken I don't know, I'm not a military personnel with that kind of knowledge but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Reasonable people don't discount NK's ability to cause destruction. It's just incredibly unlikely that they'd actually attack first since everyone on earth knows how it would end, even if they have hydrogen bombs. Decades of NK's bullshit shows that they're antagonistic but not suicidal.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Reasonable people don't discount NK's ability to cause destruction. It's just incredibly unlikely that they'd actually attack first since everyone on earth knows how it would end, even if they have hydrogen bombs. Decades of NK's bullshit shows that they're antagonistic but not suicidal.

I'm not actually convinced that north korea attacking something small enough would lead to what you're implying.

People constantly call out the threat of Seoul destruction, region destabilization, etc. as reasons to not attack NK. If they actually did attack something, say a small missile on Guam or whatever that killed a few dozen people, I can't imagine everyone suddenly being okay with those negative consequences.

What's the deal with your raging desire to start an all out war with NK that would likely cause untold numbers of death and likely crash the global economy?

Did you ever stop to think why 70 years of NK strategy (even when hard-liners were in charge in JP/SK/USA) has basically been to pay them off and let them have their ridiculous hermit nation? Because nobody wants to be the ones who own up to a global crash and a brutal death toll. Give me a break pal, you're not some genius that sees the truth while the rest of us are blind.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What's the deal with your raging desire to start an all out war with NK that would likely cause untold numbers of death and likely crash the global economy?

Did you ever stop to think why 70 years of NK strategy (even when hard-liners were in charge in JP/SK/USA) has basically been to pay them off and let them have their ridiculous hermit nation? Because nobody wants to be the ones who own up to a global crash and a brutal death toll. Give me a break pal, you're not some genius that sees the truth while the rest of us are blind.

1. Agreeing with the "This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further." means I want "an all out war"? Ok.

2. North Korea is the one that constantly seeks to escalate. They haven't been firing monthly missiles near other countries and testing nuclear weapons for 70 years, pal. I'd rather people have some alternate thoughts to an escalating situation than "well they've been fine for 70 years, ignore the escalation nothing will ever change!"

3. "You're not some genius" lol the post I was agreeing with made the claim "What action needs to be taken I don't know" but again, Ok.

Madness

It really doesn't matter to be honest. If NK is a nuclear power now how strong their weapons get doesn't change the equation.

Yes it does. Eventually you begin to weigh the loss of lives in Seoul versus the potential of loss of lives in Guam, Japan, Hawaii, Alaska, California etc.

North Korea is essentially a failed state propped up by humanitarian and Chinese aid. This line of thinking has been the same for 3 decades. Well they have artillery, well they now have ballistic missiles, well they now tested an atomic bomb but haven't miniaturized, well they tested an ICBM, wrll they have achieved hydrogen nuclear bomb capacity etc.

People seem to think Kim Jong Un is rational because he does not want to die. Well no dictator does until they realize they are losing power and use any means necessary to keep it. NK is starving and these missile threats are essentially a warning of give us food and aid or else.

North Korea is a 21st century totalitarian and authoritarian state which has even surpassed Nazi Germany in terms of total control. One state channel, propaganda and brainwash going on 70 years. Children are born in prisons and sentenced to hard labor for something their grandfather did 60 years ago due to generational punishment. If you think this is going to be tolerated by their neighbors, look to Japan raising defence spending almost 3% year over year and noe almost 3% of GDP.

1. Agreeing with the "This whole schtick of "haha North Korea don't have nukes they can't even muster a fart" is getting old as North Korea progresses their arms race further." means I want "an all out war"? Ok.

2. North Korea is the one that constantly seeks to escalate. They haven't been firing monthly missiles near other countries and testing nuclear weapons for 70 years, pal. I'd rather people have some alternate thoughts to an escalating situation than "well they've been fine for 70 years, ignore the escalation nothing will ever change!"

3. "You're not some genius" lol the post I was agreeing with made the claim "What action needs to be taken I don't know" but again, Ok.

Basically, you're the peanut gallery. Someone who wants to sit and whine about doing something despite knowing that nothing can really be done in the immediate future.

SDCowboy

I'm not actually convinced that north korea attacking something small enough would lead to what you're implying.

People constantly call out the threat of Seoul destruction, region destabilization, etc. as reasons to not attack NK. If they actually did attack something, say a small missile on Guam or whatever that killed a few dozen people, I can't imagine everyone suddenly being okay with those negative consequences.
I can't tell if this post is serious or not. If NK directly attacked a US territory, no matter how "small" the attack, NK would be wiped off the planet within the hour.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Basically, you're the peanut gallery. Someone who wants to sit and whine about doing something despite knowing that nothing can really be done in the immediate future.

Yeah my bad for questioning what can be done 5 days after being woken up my a government alarm telling me to seek shelter because of a north korean missile.

I'll try to make more posts rolling my eyes at north korean """""claims""""" as they continue to make whatever advancements they'd like instead.

I can't tell if this post is serious or not. If NK attacked a US territory, no matter how "small" the attack, NK would be wiped off then planet within the hour.

Extremely debatable, particularly the "how small" part. They torpedoed a SK ship and killed like 50 people previously. I don't think the US would go into total war for something that small against them.

SDCowboy

Extremely debatable, particularly the "how small" part. They torpedoed a SK ship and killed like 50 people previously. I don't think the US would go into total war for something that small against them.

That is completely different than a US territory.

BriGuy

Unless he's Donald Trump in disguise, someone who has sway over him, or access to the football itself, his opinion on the matter (which you're strawmanning the hell out of here), is pretty much irrelevant. Same deal for you, me and everyone else posting here. Neogaf posts don't influence foreign policy.

I mean.. seeing your hot takes and others in this thread and sandbagging him for no reason, it goes both ways. Maybe actually read what he was saying.

Explaining the infinite complexities of warfare with North Korea and what it would mean for the globe is a "hot take" now?

The hot take is more like "I'm scared and pissed off so somebody do something now!"

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That is completely different than a US territory.

So assuming the threat of South Korean destruction is real, you think the US would accept that as a justifiable outcome if a North Korean missile killed 6 people on a beach in Guam?

Not really anything we will do until they strike first. And that's if they strike first. A preemptive attack will almost certainly result in at least the loss of Seoul, if not Tokyo, and other major population clusters in the area, along with all kinds of death from radiation poisoning.

They can escalate as much as they want, but there's too many lives at stake assuming their threats are anything more than what they've been for the last 50 years.

HariKari

Completely wrong. How would this not change anything?

Because of their proximity to SK, it's likely they'd be able to nuke large population centers, possibly even now with their limited arsenal. So going above and beyond tens of millions dying isn't that much more of a deterrent. They've already largely achieved their goal of negating/discouraging any strike on them. NK only gets defused at this point if there's a coup or internal power struggle that China can exploit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hypothetically speaking: if someone were to just launch one of these things? What happens? Does the US send fighter jets after it? I'm not an expert at military defense science either. I just wonder what would happen. Would we allow it to hit something or would we have to blow it out of the sky?

I think it's a lot of hot air, but these things must exist somewhere. Or at least the thought of having one.

low-G

Hypothetically speaking: if someone were to just launch one of these things? What happens? Does the US send fighter jets after it? I'm not an expert at military defense science either. I just wonder what would happen. Would we allow it to hit something or would we have to blow it out of the sky?

I think it's a lot of hot air, but these things must exist somewhere. Or at least the thought of having one.

A bunch of rednecks would shoot it down and hollow it out to build a hunter nest out of.

It's not getting shot down.

antonz

China is reporting a 6.3 Earthquake just detected in North Korea. Likely tied to Nuclear Test
@SteveKopack 9m
Reuters: CHINA EARTHQUAKE ADMINISTRATION SAYS DETECTS 6.3 MAGNITUDE EARTHQUAKE IN NORTH KOREA
@SteveKopack
Reuters wire update: CHINA EARTHQUAKE ADMINISTRATION SAYS NORTH KOREA QUAKE IS A "SUSPECTED EXPLOSION"

Anyone that knows beyond a doubt probably can't post about it on NeoGAF.

I wasn't asking GAF personally, more for a link to an expert that might have better insight. For all we know we could just be looking at a shoddy bomb casing full of used pinball machine parts.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nothing freaks me out more than nuclear weapons. if they start dropping then it's game over. hope this is dealt with properly and peacefully.

So assuming the threat of South Korean destruction is real, you think the US would accept that as a justifiable outcome if a North Korean missile killed 6 people on a beach in Guam?
The Population density of Guam is 775 per sq mile. It'd be war, or more likely an assassination attempt that if failed results in war. You don't attack US soil. That's kinda our thing. Not to mention the Trump wildcard, might see it as an opportunity to succeed at something... then again Congress might not want to give Trump a war.... Idk if congress approval would stop him if he wanted war tho.

/armchairgeneral

Woorloog

Banned
The NK having a hydrogen bomb and miniaturized nukes is quite plausible. Basically all major nuclear weapon states developed H-bomb rather quickly (within 10 years or so from first A-bombs), even without direct help. The NK probably has had some help, and the theory of H-bomb Teller-Ulam design has been known (even if specifics aren't) publicly for quite a long time now.

Their production capacity is more questionable. Nuclear material production is the bottle neck.

Of course, for deterrence, many bombs aren't needed, just a reliable attack system, and maybe second-strike capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom