• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

IISANDERII

It's all subjective but I definitely think this plays much better than Gears. Faster, more fluid and more responsive. Actually I don't think there's anything I didn't like about the demo, hell even the voice acting was competent.

Review from Eurogamer

One of the common failings of third-person games is feedback, but the shearing metal and scattering components of Binary Domain's opponents is intensely satisfying
As for the bosses, this the best gauntlet a third-person shooter has offered in a long time.
Though Binary Domain's cover mechanic works well enough, it doesn't have that final level of polish that makes it totally reliable. The same button is used for rolling and slamming into hiding, which means the game has to be perfect at judging context - and it's not.
Binary Domain's campaign is hugely enjoyable. It begins with an underwater infiltration of a futuristic Tokyo and gradually rises through the layers of this weird metropolis, going from café to slum to corporate headquarters.
However, downtime reveals another unusual distinction of the game, for its genre at least; it feels like it's been written by adults, with set-ups and face-offs that have an ease of reference and a ready wit.

eshwaaz

Pretty great game so far, it could use some polish, but it plays brilliantly. I love how the game throws you in very diverse situations all the time so you never feel like you're going through the motions. I'm afraid this gem will be forgotten soon, but that would be a real shame.

Music to my ears. Hopefully the variety continues through the entire 8 - 10 hour campaign.

I think I've been convinced to pick this up on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

eXistor

Music to my ears. Hopefully the variety continues through the entire 8 - 10 hour campaign.

I think I've been convinced to pick this up on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
I'm in chapter 5 now (the last one I think) and I'm still encountering new stuff. Can't wait to replay it on a harder diffuculty, I'm not sick of the game at all so far.

Man this game is cool. Only halfway through chapter two, but I kept thinking of the game while working my way through Syndicate, so happy I can go back to this now for today. I don't think it moves as well as Gears in regards to some aspects, like making a roll, which just seems unresponsive in Binary, but otherwise it's a pretty good game. Takes a lot of fundamental from Gears and improvements them.

I really hope the narrative gets better going forward, there seems to be some interesting themes in there, and hopefully it won't get drowned in Japan stupidity like how they portray the characters so far.

panda21

the variety in this really is awesome, it would be a great purchase for full price never mind what they are charging for it. the Yakuza roots come through in the dialogue and the versatility of the engine. like the Eurogamer review says, its really well written. I lol'd at least 4 times playing it today.

choosing members for your squad is so hard.. I want Big Bo, Faye and Cain. how do you expect me to be able to choose between them?!

JB1981

It's all subjective but I definitely think this plays much better than Gears. Faster, more fluid and more responsive. Actually I don't think there's anything I didn't like about the demo, hell even the voice acting was competent.

Review from Eurogamer

Based on the demo, Gears plays much faster and much better. The cover system here works good but it's not as polished as Gears. For example, there is no slide into cover and there is no way to consistently sprint around cover objects. Instead you always vault over them.

kunonabi

Demo sold me on the game. I'll probably pick it up later in the year or put it on my christmas list. I'd get it now but my new psp go and and Last Story import has me pretty tapped out. I should have played the demo earlier. I would easily have held off on the go.

TaroYamada

I'm not trolling, just being honest, that the classic Sega fan in me hopes this bombs hard. How many classic IP re-imaginings and HD digital ports would have BD's development dollars paid for?

Old school sega was always about new IP development, they often killed/ignored franchises in favor of new ones; It fostered innovation
and it's why Sega > Nintendo :p
. I personally think Binary Domain looks and sounds excellent, outside the framerate issues, which could be resolved if the PC version EuroGamer and Spain's Amazon made mention of comes to fruition.

I played the demo, thought it looked cool until I saw that running animation.Complete instant deal breaker.Syphon filter on the PS1 had a better running animation.I couldn't play it cause every time I had to run I would get thrown out of the experience..violently.

Had potential but I am sorry you cant release a game in 2012 that has a running animation that bad.It really is the worst I have seen since infamous 1.All the other animations look great but I think they rushed it and ripped the running animation from some game they made in the 90.s.

Anyone else agree?

glaurung

I played the demo, thought it looked cool until I saw that running animation.Complete instant deal breaker.Syphon filter on the PS1 had a better running animation.I couldn't play it cause every time I had to run I would get thrown out of the experience..violently.

Had potential but I am sorry you cant release a game in 2012 that has a running animation that bad.It really is the worst I have seen since infamous 1.All the other animations look great but I think they rushed it and ripped the running animation from some game they made in the 90.s.

Anyone else agree?
The running animation did not affect me, so I have to violently disagree with you. Plus I find the idea that you dismiss a game based on something as trivial as a running animation preposterous.

It's the same as throwing MGS4 in the garbage because you do not like Snake's mustache.

I thought the running animation was OK. Not super great, but certainly fine. The only thing that looked terrible, is when you try to run with the shield.

But that is pretty silly to dismiss a game, over running animation.

Teknoman

I'm hoping the game ends up fostering another Lost Planet 1 360 style community. Post Grab was and still ranks up there with the best MP experiences i've had this gen.

The running animation did not affect me, so I have to violently disagree with you. Plus I find the idea that you dismiss a game based on something as trivial as a running animation preposterous.

It's the same as throwing MGS4 in the garbage because you do not like Snake's mustache.

I guess its just one of those things that really gets under my skin, I mean you are right, how can I totally loose interest in a game because of the running animation.But I can, especially since you run a lot, and every time I see it it makes me sad.Its just one of those things I cant stand. You have these amazing visuals and then, a PS1 running animation.Are you saying that the running animation is not of a low quality?Do you think it couldn't use improvement?

And snakes mustache is awesome by the way.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah. My FemShep ran like a gorilla. I don't even know what they did to Keith David either, screwing him up is inexcusable.

I'm not as bothered by poor animation though. I mean, I don't think Binary's animation is great either, but it sure as hell isn't gonna keep me from the game.

glaurung

ME3's running animation is like a retarded duck trying to dance polka. Seriously, go check it out.

Plus you can triple the awkwardness by selecting to play as a female. Then it looks like a ferry that is trying to dock.

Shaneus

Yeah. My FemShep ran like a gorilla. I don't even know what they did to Keith David either, screwing him up is inexcusable.

I'm not as bothered by poor animation though. I mean, I don't think Binary's animation is great either, but it sure as hell isn't gonna keep me from the game.
For the lazy, this was the first hit. First time I'd ever seen it, and yeah, it looks AWKWARD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye0Rl16elKo

PS. Definitely buying BD. Loved the demo... all the little touches were great. Accidentally shot a team-mate, he loses his shit, I say "sorry" into the mic and he somewhat forgives me. Pretty awesome. Almost has an Alpha Protocol feel to it in that sense.

Just watched some ME3 footage.He reloads his plasma rifle with such detailed animation, tossing the mag, putting in a new one, pulling back a little loading mechanism,it looks flawless.And then he ran....It is pretty terrible I'm not gonna lie.Its almost as if under all his space Armour there is a 70 year old man with lower back problems.

I would even say its worse than Binary....

saladine1

I honestly thought that this game would be rubbish, but I have been proven wrong.
Very surprised to say the least.
It doesn't feel AAA but it is a great game with very good variety and features.
Some of the voice acting is a bit shitty but not bad overall.

The game reminds me of Terminator, I Robot..etc in so many ways.

Anyway, again, very surprised by this game and in my eyes, is a sleeper hit in the making...

Oh, and be prepared for robots galore...i've got robots coming out of my ears...

Koralsky

The game pretty much bomb HARD in UK market - 35th place in top 40 at 30 euro is complete nightmare.

Even Yakuza titles (which are on just PS3) in UK are on higher position after first weekend of sales.

Ok, now we can forget Yakuza team to make anything other than Yakuza titles :/

Jay Sosa

The game pretty much bomb HARD in UK market - 35th place in top 40 at 30 euro is complete nightmare.

Even Yakuza titles (which are on just PS3) in UK are on higher position after first weekend of sales.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The demo is horrible and maybe I'm not the only one fed up with TPS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So is the retail PS3 version just as choppy as the demo?

I meant Kinect vs. Playstation Eye. Not a fan of the PS3 headset I have.
The demo worked fine with the microphone in the PS Eye. I was surprised when I found that it was working, actually, as I didn't even realize the game HAD voice support.

It's ranked 800 and 1200 for 360/ps3 on Amazon a day from release. Expect Wario64 bomba thread.

Suzuki Yu

i finished the game last night on survival difficulty (360)
this is my favorite TPS campaign EVER. (apart from Uncharted series which isn't a Pure TPS experience anyway)
from where should i start?
good story, awesome twists by the end, superb cut-scenes as usual form the RGG team with great & seamless transition between the cut-scenes and gameplay in real time.
the pacing in this game is really Hot from the beginning till the end, a lot of diversity in action and locations, and a lot of great battle situations.
tech wise it was impressive in different areas specially effects, explosions and particles, Models and the complexity animations of the enemies.
vending machines and upgrades, trust system and a working voice recognition were all a nice touches in the game.
great and satisfying shooting mechanics, great and unique AI for the enemies, huge variety of enemies with really good designs.... and above all that one of the best boss battles in all time and i mean it! the bosses in this game is beyond incredible!

what i don't like though was mostly your Squad constantly getting in your way of shooting.
also some minor issues with the main characters animations, and rarely frame drops at some crazy points.

what i am not sure about yet is of course the consequence system since i didn't start my second run yet.

if i would rate the campaign i will definitely give it a 9 out of 10

would be less than 4k total (360+PS3) based on estimated numbers in the Pal thread.

dark10x

I've noticed that Amazon is not offering release day delivery. What are the odds I'll be able to pick this game up at a retail store tomorrow? Starting to seem like it's going to be hard to get a hold of. :(

It's ranked 800 and 1200 for 360/ps3 on Amazon a day from release. Expect Wario64 bomba thread.
I've held off simply because they aren't offering release day delivery.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed that Amazon is not offering release day delivery. What are the odds I'll be able to pick this game up at a retail store tomorrow? Starting to seem like it's going to be hard to get a hold of. :(

I've held off simply because they aren't offering release day delivery.

I plan on picking mine up at gamestop(chose them over Amazon for preorder bonuses and lack of release date delivery)

but I have a reserve

I don't think it'll be hard to find

dethforce

Banned
So is the retail PS3 version just as choppy as the demo?

played just after the first demo section in the retail version (ps3) and no, framerate is much better and 99% constant - but
the huge spiderboss in the open area
was terrible, the framerate was going down to 3fps. ugh....borderline unplayable.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone else agree?

There's some "Unmoving upper body, to maintain shooting" style look to the character movement animations (as if they refuse to put any hip or shoulder movement into it), that is pretty annoying... and it is suprising to see, because these characters, otherwise, are made in a way where we really are suppose to feel like they're living, breathing individuals, but it doesn't ruin the rest of the game for me in the slightest.

With all the other situations and dynamic animations the enemies and bosses have thogh, it's like getting mad at Disney for making 1 or 2 run animation looks bad during the course of a 3 hour movie. BD exceeds the usual expectations for dynamic animation a majority of the time, and as a fan of quality animation, that's where my attention goes.

If all I had to give up for any other FPS/TPS to get enemies that react this way, was a running and "behind shield" animation looking kinda awkward, I'd give it up every time. After being able to shoot guns out of hands, shoot ankles to slow walk speed, and punch people drunk / dizzy back in Perfect Dark, I feel like most shooters, where a few ankle shots will kill a man WITHOUT FAIL, are much more offensive when it comes to those things.

played just after the first demo section in the retail version (ps3) and no, framerate is much better and 99% constant - but
the huge spiderboss in the open area
was terrible, the framerate was going down to 3fps. ugh....borderline unplayable.

That's extremely disappointing to hear.

At work and I'm staring at both versions and I can't decide which one I'm going to take home tonight.

Everyone is saying that the PS3 versions frame rate has been improved since the demo but does the retail 360 version still run better? There's a part of me that wants to grab it for PS3 just because of the whole Yakuza games on PS3 thing, as this will look nice alongside Kenzan/3/4/Dead Souls. But if I have the chance at little to no drops in frame rate I'd rather get on that.

What say you people who have played both retail versions?

Suzuki Yu

At work and I'm staring at both versions and I can't decide which one I'm going to take home tonight.

Everyone is saying that the PS3 versions frame rate has been improved since the demo but does the retail 360 version still run better? There's a part of me that wants to grab it for PS3 just because of the whole Yakuza games on PS3 thing, as this will look nice alongside Kenzan/3/4/Dead Souls. But if I have the chance at little to no drops in frame rate I'd rather get on that.

What say you people who have played both retail versions?
360 ver is the safe choice, go for it.
i am pretty sure its still the superior version. ( i played the whole game on 360 and watched some videos for the PS3 ver, performance is better than the demo but not as good as the 360 ver)

i am pretty sure its still the superior version. ( i played the whole game on 360 and watched some videos for the PS3 ver, performance is better than the demo but not as good as the 360 ver)

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

dark10x

Any PS3 vids from the full game out there?

Top Bottom