• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Only played an hour or so, but so far. It's as marvelous as I expected it to be. A real *different* experience, always having something interesting happening gameplay wise and story.

Plus, <3 Faye. She so fine.

Fun fact btw, the voice actor for Dan is the real life partner of the actress who plays Faye.

mujun

you go away and go play f-zero gx for penance, this is the binary domain "is clearly superior" thread being a japanese game and bru bru skies hornet you guys.

enjoy your running and utterly 100% pointless dialogue trees. not to mention all the missing character facial textures, hackneyed combat, and some frame tearing. but it's co-op! WOAHHHHHH XBOX

i'll be blasting binary bots and getting to know the masterfully created characters team yakuza creates time and time again.

i can't wait to pick up my copy and make fun of mass effect when i go into the store. it's the gamestop darling game and i love seeing their faces be like "what?!"

i'd be more then happy if this thread turns into a binary is way better then massive effect thread.

tomorrow in the AM! SHEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT

Why do the games need to be compared? Seems like you are bitter because ME is the more popular game.

Is the "your" you used in your post referring to me? I hope not. Maybe you missed the part in the other Binary Domain thread where I said that I love this game and would rate it close to a 9 out of 10. The story is also really good (especially for a Japanese game) and there is a chance that this will be on my GOTY list come January 2013.

Riposte

Why do the games need to be compared?

They have quite a lot of similarities. Both are squad-based TPS, among other things.

Speaking of which Binary Domain doesn't seem to be playing up choice as much Mass Effect 3 (as little as that is already).

mujun

They have quite a lot of similarities. Both are squad-based TPS, among other things.

Speaking of which Binary Domain doesn't seem to be playing up choice as much Mass Effect 3 (as little as that is already).

ME is an RPG. Binary Domain is most certainly not. Surely Uncharted, Gears of War or pretty much any other TPS would be a better yardstick.

Is there any choice with consequence in BD at all? You reply to teammates questions and comments but I don't remember actually ever deciding the outcome of any given situation.

geebee

Banned
ME is an RPG. Binary Domain is most certainly not. Surely Uncharted, Gears of War or pretty much any other TPS would be a better yardstick.

Is there any choice with consequence in BD at all? You reply to teammates questions and comments but I don't remember actually ever deciding the outcome of any given situation.

It was an RPG. Sure, there's still stat customization, but every genre has some sort of stat customization these days.

Tomasooie

I'd say Binary Domain has almost as many RPG elements as Mass Effect 3 does.

And your interactions with your squadmates have bearing on the story and gameplay, unlike Mass Effect.

metacritic? lol, please do!

i won't be surprised when Morgan "mario is insipid" Webb glows over Mass Effect and glazes over Binary Domain

i played both massive affects, and the dialogue systems are just so fucking dumb. the 2nd game completely removed live xp and just gives your arbitrary xp at the end of a mission. so dumb!

metacritic? lol, please do!

i won't be surprised when Morgan "mario is insipid" Webb glows over Mass Effect and glazes over Binary Domain

i played both massive affects, and the dialogue systems are just so fucking dumb. the 2nd game completely removed live xp and just gives your arbitrary xp at the end of a mission. so dumb!

You're being ridiculous, but this made me lol.

Drewfonse

you go away and go play f-zero gx for penance, this is the binary domain "is clearly superior" thread being a japanese game and bru bru skies hornet you guys.

enjoy your running and utterly 100% pointless dialogue trees. not to mention all the missing character facial textures, hackneyed combat, and some frame tearing. but it's co-op! WOAHHHHHH XBOX

i'll be blasting binary bots and getting to know the masterfully created characters team yakuza creates time and time again.

i can't wait to pick up my copy and make fun of mass effect when i go into the store. it's the gamestop darling game and i love seeing their faces be like "what?!"

i'd be more then happy if this thread turns into a binary is way better then massive effect thread.

tomorrow in the AM! SHEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT

Masterfully created characters? Have you seen the walking, talking stereotype known as Big Boy? Pathetically conceived character. I still liked the demo, but your post is ludicrous.

God damn, I really wanted an excuse to play something on my PS3, but I'm afraid that it'll be hard for me to overlook the ways in which the 360 version is superior. Bummer!

I wish I could get excited for this game, as I am jonesing for something good to play, but I felt the demo was very average at best, and the dialogue cringe inducing. Hopefully the full game is better than the demo, because I really don't see what the fuss is about honestly. Maybe it's because I'd rather shoot the legs off of humans than robots...I may have a problem.

mujun

And your interactions with your squadmates have bearing on the story and gameplay, unlike Mass Effect.

Too crazy a post for me to respond to. I need to play more games and post less about them, thanks for reminding me!

Tomasooie

Too crazy a post for me to respond to. I need to play more games and post less about them, thanks for reminding me!

I'm saying that Mass Effect doesn't have many RPG elements, period.

Binary Domain has upgrading -- each squad member's main weapon can be leveled up, in a variety of different ways: magazine size, firepower, range, accuracy, bosonic charge strength, and more.

The credits you gain from defeating enemies basically act as experience points, and unlike Mass Effect, which gives you a set amount for each mission, Binary Domain hands you differing amounts depending on how you defeat the enemy, double kills, etc.

The nanomachines modify your characters' statistics -- augmenting base health, recharge speed, how many first aid kits a character can hold, and tons more, I'm sure.

And obviously all of the character interaction and choices put you in the role of Dan. It's ultimately more linear than Mass Effect, but overall it's not far behind in terms of RPG elements.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Masterfully created characters? Have you seen the walking, talking stereotype known as Big Boy? Pathetically conceived character. I still liked the demo, but your post is ludicrous.

Big Boy? Is that James Vega's new nickname or Jessica Chobot's?

JEKKI

I wish this game had an afro code.

like hold L and R, press up, down, X, X, X, B, O, O, B, S, select, start,

and then u hear a chime confirming that it worked.

that way u can call the game Binary Afromain!

Went ahead and caved, grabbing the PS3 version.

Game runs great, sounds great, looks great and feels great. Whole bunch of great!

Time to play some Chapter 2.

less then 8 hours until i pick it up then work ALL FUCKING DAY while the box art haunts my brain ALL FUCKING DAY until i get home and then play it ALL FUCKING NIGHT while i drink taco slurpees for sustenance and diarrhea.

can't wait to open up my windows and let the breeze blow through my room while i play this.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Got the PS3 version, and I have to say, the game is pretty good. I can't get the voice recognition to work properly though, it doesn't even recognize simple words. I guess I need to spend some time with it, but overall, it's a cool concept. No technical issues so far, the controls are very smooth.

Played some more and damn, they manage to keep things interesting. Something crazy is always happening and you get whisked from standard Shooty Corridors With Cover (tm) to car chases, holding down positions, big scripted boss fights or jet skis on a regular basis. Fun.

I'm going to write the voice-command stuff off as a useless gimmick. I didn't bother to dig out my headset, so maybe you could get some immersion out of it by actually speaking (assuming it works), but the gameplay hasn't required any sort of squad tactics yet and the team-building parts boil down to this:

"Wow, it's horrible how <something about the world>. Hey Dan, don't you agree that they should <blah>?"
[God Damn] [No] [*Sure]
"Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew I could trust you!" *trust goes up*

Otherwise, good stuff. The framerate dips annoyingly every now and then and I'm not a fan of some of the spammier boss fights, but it's playable. I didn't even know that this was a Team Yakuza game when I started playing, and before the second chapter I was already thinking "this looks a bit like Yakuza", so the influence is definitely there.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So what's a good cheap USB headset?

Wanted to stop by bestbuy or something and pick one up when I get my game tomorrow.

As a person of color

I like Big Bo

Riposte

ME, even the first one, is a third person shooter. The fact that people call it a RPG just goes to show you that RPG isn't a worthwhile term to throw around. Binary Domain could also be called one given the mechanics at play.

less then 8 hours until i pick it up then work ALL FUCKING DAY while the box art haunts my brain ALL FUCKING DAY until i get home and then play it ALL FUCKING NIGHT while i drink taco slurpees for sustenance and diarrhea.

can't wait to open up my windows and let the breeze blow through my room while i play this.

yeah i had some first world problems yesterday when these BOTH were staring at me, had to make a decision and i started with BD :D

problems.jpg

I would have started with Syndicate. I reviewed both last week and Binary Domain is a lot more fun than Syndicate. You'll probably end up being disappointed by Syndicate if you play it after BD.

i reasoned it so that i'll play through Binary singleplayer first, then Syndicate singleplayer, and hop on Syndicate Coop from there on out. Not really interested in Binary multiplayer at all.

oh, and here's a replacement cover art for those who aren't in WUV with the original art ;D

Click to download printsize:

sorry for the doublepost :/

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This or Vanquish? I'm torn and only have space (read: time) for one shooter/action game......
I'm really liking Binary Domain. They've got the basics right wrt controls, and the cover system is quite good. But if you can find Vanquish for a decent price, go for it; it's a pretty awesome game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

This would make sense if Mass Effect consisted only of combat scenarios.

That's not the case, however, and you spend a large chunk of the game partaking in exploration, dialog, and other diversions.

Binary Domain is pretty much a linear shooter ala Gears of War with a greater volume of story elements tossed in.

Surely you can recognize the difference.

panda21

I would have started with Syndicate. I reviewed both last week and Binary Domain is a lot more fun than Syndicate. You'll probably end up being disappointed by Syndicate if you play it after BD.

yeah this. Syndicate is pretty jarringly dated in some ways compared to this. the shooting feels good and its got bloom like a mothergaffer but otherwise it feels like it should have come out about 5 years ago.

Nakimushi

Banned
I think I will pick ps3 version today after work / really like first level from the demo and it sounds like a campaign is long and very interesting...

and I love sci fi games so cant go bad with this one !!!

He's no more stereotyped than any black ally in any other third-person shooter. People go "LOL Japan racist" yet give western games with similarly blunt characterisation a pass.

Top Bottom