• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

markao

I always use the normal download and if to slow I use my "Free download manager", most of the time it maximises my connection (10Mb)

new old car, me likey ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Patch notes:

Build Release Notes

Build 197 (20/4/12, Team Member+)
NEW PROFILE REQUIRED
Known Issues: Helmet rendering is broken in DX9

Add menu options for helmet cam FOV and quick race rolling start.
Helmet position adjustment for latest art
Updated layout of Fanatec SDK
Added in a new hdr scale for the cockpit bloom when using the helmet camera
Helmet shadow fix - no more using modified cameras with dodgy depth values
Add QR specific race manager files and limit rolling starts to tracks explicitly allowing it
Support for SMAA S2X in DX11
FXAA and SMAA can now be toggled on and off
TweakIt 1.0.0.13 : Fixes a problem when sliders/values are updated after a connect has been lost, on reconnecting the queued values were sent to the new game app causing invalid de-referencing
Updated and improved textures and alphas for HUD maps
Stockcar initial 240 steering , alpha 1 animation pack
Added Badenring co-ords.
Stock Car engine set enabled; 215465 updated surface sound level; 215466 altered subwave volume curve and audio compression settings
Adding stock car AI sounds
Stockcar: quick collision update for floor level, fix for auto gears. Differential configured as a Detroit Locker with option to be fully locked by increasing preload setting
Belgian Forest - another fix for whitelines texture
Add menu options for helmet cam FOV and quick race rolling start
Gumpert Apollo: test headlight projection texture replaced with a detailed one
Formula A: Engine idle adjusted to prevent stalling. Default gearing matched to onboard data from China GP
BAC MONO: New livery
Palmer JPLM: added support for ULTRA detail settings
BAC Mono: added livery 01 name
Palmer JPLM: checks/fixes + new WIP export
Caterham R500 - improved AO on all LODs, darker CPIT AO on windscreen, bug fixes
AI for Stock Car boosted with compression. Balancing adjustments to opponent car levels, plus other balancing changes
Helmetview: visor textures/materials tweaks, reduced scratches about +-20%, flipped text
Updated BAC Mono physics to data supplied by manufacturer
Helmetview: top part lighting/specular fix, visor tweak to look acceptable inside dark cars + overall materials polish
BAC Mono: all exterior mapped&textured, brake disc glow setup, lights setup, user flags checked/set, discs, calipers cloned around, overlay polys set, materials checked/fixed,etc
New map texture added for Belgian Forest
Formula A: pedal positions changed to keep driver's feet within the car
BAC Mono: show steering wheel when driver is turned off
BAC Mono: Badges texture tweaks
BAC Mono: more glossy exhaust
BAC Mono - Reskinned LODC tires
BAC Mono: fixed RPM redline in cockpit display
Fixed typo in race strength which was causing AI to attept crazy cornering speeds and often flipping
New BAC Mono export
New Caterham export
New Palmer export
New Stockcar export
New Bathurst export
New Belgian Forest export
New Bologna exports

Build 196 (19/4/12, Senior Manager)
Added 1990 Stockcar
Stockcar 90: adjusted CPIT seat to driver character, added CPIT wheels
Belgian Forest - fixed trees isues and one crowd issue
California Raceway: Fixed brightness, reduced it for the new lighting/weather system
Gumpert Apollo: basic, do-little projection texture to test new headlight attention
Stockcar90: added support for custom chassis colour
BAC mono, added animation pack2, 360 steering
Formula A: checks, optimizations + fixes
Formula A: reduced engine inertia
New 1990 Stockcar physics. Based around notNascar cars of that Era. Aprox 650hp. 3800lbs. Road course setup
TweakIt 1.0.0.13 : Fixes a problem when sliders/values are updated after a connect has been lost, on reconnecting the queued values were sent to the new game app causing invalid de-referencing
Latest helmet cam tweaks for latest mesh
Added Fanatec SDK as well as support for gear display and shift lights on CSW wheel
Fix for CSW LED and lights not clearing on exit
New Formula A export
New California raceway export
New Florence exports

Known Issues: Auto gearing is broken on the Stock Car

Build 195 (18/4/12, Senior Manager)
Helmet rendering tweaks
Added Tyre Force slider (default 0.5 for all controllers, 1.0f for CSW) to advanced controller panel, tweaker added to F1 Input menu. Hooked up to FFB
Extended the range of Tyre Force slider (1-200 mapping to 0.01 to 2.0 internally)
Belgian Forest - add new textures
Initial helmetview data for all driver types (KART,GT,Formula, CLASSIC)
X4: Camera adjustment limits set. Tire temperature, pressure and wear sensitivity experiment
X4: fuel tank size reduced to 70L
Ariel (Atom,mugen,500): animation review1 changes, camera position, driver pose, hands corrections
New HUD maps added for Badenring tracks.
Heusden - Converted the Tree placement
Asano X4, Asano LM11 : animation review1 changes, driver pose, hands, seatbelts corrections
Caterham r500, palmer jplm, Racer V4 : animation review1 changes, driver pose, hands & seatbelts corrections
Fix for visor drawing in front of helmet mesh
Bathurst: track offset rotation adjusted to match dawn from reference
Helmet view head physics adjustments
New Huesden export
New Sakitto exports

Build 194 (17/4/12, Manager+)
SMAA (Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing) support implemented for DX9
Fix crash on exit (SMAA effect was released twice) + default SMAA quality to high
WIP check-in for helmet head physics
Apply world movement and camera shake options to helmet cam
Helmet camera tweaks based on WMD feedback, mainly to have it take account of GUI camera settings
Another helmet cam tweak - slow down look to apex a little
Add DX11 render-target support for custom resolves (required for SMAA S2X)
Add DX11 SMAA NeighbourBlending5050 technique
Added possible fix workaround to allow Fanatec wheel firmware 722+ to boot
Fixed alphatest issues on Crowds that caused them to have nasty fringeing (the phase1/3 deferred alphatest threshold functions were mismatched)
Derby track map image added

Build 193 (16/4/12, Senior Manager)
SMAA DX11 is now 15% faster.
Cam roof position modifed to show more of driver
X4: LODC damage and AO. Cockpit optimizing
Reinstated "all samplers are aniso" but only for PC, so that console builds will not be broken, but still allow the sharper aniso versions on PC
Anims: Updated all textures: sitting and crowd
New Asano X4 export

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody know if those Fanatec sdk thing do something on the older wheels too (PWTS, GT2, GT3) or only on the new CSR and CSE wheels?

mclaren777

Can somebody please recommend some good FFB settings for the G27?

I wasn't pleased with the FFB when I recently tried pCARS and I'm wondering if there are any tweaks that can make it significantly better.

markao

I had a quick go in the new Stock Car against some AI at Connecticut Hill Short and uploaded it to youtube.

Project CARS - 1990 Caper Stock Car at Connecticut Hill Short - 5 laps vs AI (build 197)

and two more shots from that race, cannot wait for that skinning contest to be finished so the other cars also have some nice paint jobs.

@McLaren no, just pick default (dev) logitech settings, map buttons, calibrate wheel/pedals and you could play with newest setting in menu that's added for this build (can't remember name, but you will see).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Looks awesome :)

Any word on when they plan on closing membership for the beta? I wanna get in before but as close to that date as possible

markao

Looks awesome :)

Any word on when they plan on closing membership for the beta? I wanna get in before but as close to that date as possible
No, could be (really) soon or when the deal does not goes trough a long time. You could just take the save way and pick up 10€ Jr account and you can always pay the difference and upgrade if you feel the need to and you are in before closing, whenever that happens and max lost, 10€ if you do not like it.

Megasoum

Banned
All right so I tried the new build. The game is still pretty much unplayable with a Fanatec Wheel (I have a PWTS).

I mean...the game is technically playable but the FFB is completly borked. With the default setting there's a huge spring effect on the steering which is ridiculous. If you disable the spring via the debug menu (F1) then the spring is gone but the whole steering feel like its in molasses.

But overall, with or without spring the common factor is that there's no FFB at all! I mean there's no vibration and you have zero feel from the car.

I've been playing a lot of rFactor 2 and iRacing lately and you seriously can't put pCars anywhere near those games as far as FFB goes. Too bad because the content in pCars is amazing but right now the control issues just take all the fun away from the game.

Shaneus

Man, you know you're up shit creek when the "world record" holder for that particular car and track is a reg in this thread :(

Now, does anyone have any advice for setting up the Gumpert for taking tight, banked corners? Every time I either oversteer or understeer into them :( Unless I have to stretch out my FOV, but I really don't want to because it just feels weird otherwise.

Shaneus

I had a quick go in the new Stock Car against some AI at Connecticut Hill Short and uploaded it to youtube.

Project CARS - 1990 Caper Stock Car at Connecticut Hill Short - 5 laps vs AI (build 197)

and two more shots from that race, cannot wait for that skinning contest to be finished so the other cars also have some nice paint jobs.

Not wanting to shit on your parade or anything, but do you need to mark YT vids from pCARS as private or something? I'm not 100% sure (which is why I'm asking) but you may wish to be careful.

Also, there's a replay mode?

Frawdder

I've put in a time for the challenge this week 2:01.681

The Gumpert is an absolute handful across the top of the mountain and that's where I'm losing all my time. If I could just get the car stable I could probably dip under 2 minutes, hey, even if I got The Cutting right I'd probably shave half a second to a second off my time as it stands.

Edit: updated time

Dilly

Banned
Man, you know you're up shit creek when the "world record" holder for that particular car and track is a reg in this thread :(

Now, does anyone have any advice for setting up the Gumpert for taking tight, banked corners? Every time I either oversteer or understeer into them :( Unless I have to stretch out my FOV, but I really don't want to because it just feels weird otherwise.

Pft, the original world record was quite terrible.

Shaneus

Yeah, I don't think it's says much about any of the fastest laps per car, given that there is such a varied combination.

Still disconcerting seeing your name there, though :p

Dilly

Banned
Goddamn walls.

I also have the irritating habit of setting a great sector time in an otherwise mediocre lap that is then unable to match.

markao

Not wanting to shit on your parade or anything, but do you need to mark YT vids from pCARS as private or something? I'm not 100% sure (which is why I'm asking) but you may wish to be careful.

Also, there's a replay mode?
No need to upload your "normal" videos as private, just add the curent state (build nr) to the description. It's only when you are bug reporting, so people in 12/14 months time do not mistake those bug videos as the "final" game.

1-D_FTW

Wow. That's an amazing video. Puts professional sites to shame. Well done, sir.

All right so I tried the new build. The game is still pretty much unplayable with a Fanatec Wheel (I have a PWTS).

I mean...the game is technically playable but the FFB is completly borked. With the default setting there's a huge spring effect on the steering which is ridiculous. If you disable the spring via the debug menu (F1) then the spring is gone but the whole steering feel like its in molasses.

But overall, with or without spring the common factor is that there's no FFB at all! I mean there's no vibration and you have zero feel from the car.

I've been playing a lot of rFactor 2 and iRacing lately and you seriously can't put pCars anywhere near those games as far as FFB goes. Too bad because the content in pCars is amazing but right now the control issues just take all the fun away from the game.

This is why I haven't given any money yet. People have posted their FFB plans (and they sound incredible), but until they're actually implemented, I'll wait and see. Hope it happens before they close the beta.

paskowitz

Wow. That's an amazing video. Puts professional sites to shame. Well done, sir.

This is why I haven't given any money yet. People have posted their FFB plans (and they sound incredible), but until they're actually implemented, I'll wait and see. Hope it happens before they close the beta.

I was playing yesterday for about 3 hours. Trying every car and every track and yeah the FFB, especially during oversteer is bad. I feel like my steering input are heavily delayed and then there is the seesaw effect where it is almost impossible to know how much to correct. I would say the best cars are the Caterham and the Leonus F77.

Megasoum

Banned

baH, I'm not sAyiNg that you shoulDn't buY it. i think it's still well worth it. i work in qa for a big videogame publisher so i'm used to see early versions with a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. that's just normal. i know they'll fix it before the game is released. you shoudn't pass on the opportunity to play the game every week until it comes out simply because of some nasty bug in a version that came out a year before release. if you want to wait until they fix that (or something else) before buying it you might miss the window since it looks like it's closing fast.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm a little confused about the FFB thing since there were such positive impressions a month or two back. Is it primarily Fanatec wheels that don't work properly right now, and other wheels are better supported?

Megasoum

Banned
I'm a little confused about the FFB thing since there were such positive impressions a month or two back. Is it primarily Fanatec wheels that don't work properly right now, and other wheels are better supported?

That's what I understand. And maybe even some specific wheels that have problems. Not sure but I think the newer Fanatec wheels are fine (CSW,CSR) but the older Porsche wheels (PWTS,GT2,GT3) might have issues right now. Not sure since I can only try the PWTS but anyway. Yeah that's why I've been playing mostly in G25 mode (it's not perfect when used on a Fanatec wheel but it's still better).

_machine

pcars2012-04-2119-46-dgusl.gif

That is all...well not quite, just wanted to say that I'm loving the Caper. It feels a lot like my friends' boy racer E30 320i and I love how you can easily have the back sliding through the exits.

1-D_FTW

baH, I'm not sAyiNg that you shoulDn't buY it. i think it's still well worth it. i work in qa for a big videogame publisher so i'm used to see early versions with a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. that's just normal. i know they'll fix it before the game is released. you shoudn't pass on the opportunity to play the game every week until it comes out simply because of some nasty bug in a version that came out a year before release. if you want to wait until they fix that (or something else) before buying it you might miss the window since it looks like it's closing fast.

It's mostly because I didn't like the FFB in the Shift series and it doesn't seem to be much better than that at the moment.

But there have been some posts where they're talking about taking the direct feedback route rf2 and iracing use and going even further. If they actually do implement that, coupled with those cars and graphics, then we're talking about a killer product.

But it's just my Shift prejudice holding me back. And from many, it sounds like that's about its current state.

Arucardo

It's mostly because I didn't like the FFB in the Shift series and it doesn't seem to be much better than that at the moment.

But there have been some posts where they're talking about taking the direct feedback route rf2 and iracing use and going even further. If they actually do implement that, coupled with those cars and graphics, then we're talking about a killer product.

But it's just my Shift prejudice holding me back. And from many, it sounds like that's about its current state.

pCARS is already nothing like Shift 2, the feel is far from it.

_machine

Have you tried the latest build?

The current FFB is completely different from the Shift, as it uses the steering column torque(Mz), but it's the very first implementation of it:
Note that this little hack(The current FFB Model) was not intended to be "the solution", but rather a raw taste of the keystone for a direct Mz approach.

I'll address some of the issues. First, the variable force magnitude (more force with speed, especially in FA) is correct. For a linear, non power steering linkage. More downforce means more side force (the reason for the downforce in the first place) which means more torque on the wheel. So the 'correct' thing to do wrt this issue is to maybe model power steering, at least wrt linearity. With most of our wheels (consumer wheels) we have a pretty narrow window between no force and saturated force, so we also have to consider where we saturate for the best tradeoff.

This leads to me think maybe a logarithmic filter might be worth trying, so we have a lot more Mz range in play without saturating, while also getting more feel down in the low force range.

Another issue is the zero torque at zero speed, which is very unlike a real steering wheel we all know pulling out of our driveways. That is of course due to the brush model being out of its range at low speed. (side note: my dynamic model does have resistance at zero speed, naturally just falling out -- just pitching when I can ). We should be able to blend in something at near-zero speed to cover up the low speed issue, very analogous to how we have the grip point model blended in for the behavioral side.

Also, like I said, I think some optional (user configurable) smoothing is in order. In particular, some consumer wheels (really, cheap, worn out, whatever), have a real tough time with high frequency forces. Further, some people just don't like the wheel to buzz so much for any period of time. So smoothing will help. There is actually a realistic justification for this too....

My model integrates forces at the rim/hub, since it simulates the carcass with a full-on discretized simulation. The brush we are using now does not, so no matter where you report the forces from, you are really getting forces integrated at the contact patch. So we currently do not have the forces 'smoothed' through the carcass. So they are maybe a little buzzier than real forces should be.

The understeer falloff to me feels right...not too much of a falloff. I think when the other forces get in there (gyroscopic, linkage drag, etc) it won't feel quite so 'empty' when in high understeer. Technically, for just Mz, it is correct, since the trail really does go to zero (actually it often reverses in real tires, giving anti-corrective forces).

And here's what AJ has said about the current physics and what might change in the future:
The snap oversteer is inherent with a steady state tire model. It underestimates grip during dynamic transition in a corner. GPL had it. rF1 had it. iR OTM has it peek through their patch-ups from time to time. Even nKp used to have it. The dynamic tire models tend to not have it, such as LFS, VGP3, and maybe rF2. Based on comments, it is still very unclear what iR NTM is really doing.

So everybody and their mother using a steady state model has to find ways to patch it up. How I did it with rF1, given that all I had was the parameters they expose in their tbc files, was to exaggerate pneumatic trail....dramatically. Like an order of magnitude dramatically.

I do not recommend we do that, since that has side effects (thick feel and some understeer on turn in) that I do not like. However, it is a clue, since now I have access to the code itself, to a path we might try. That is why I keep coming back to Mz (which for your model is basically directly related to pneumatic trail) as A) first something we need to feed back up into the car physics, which we are currently ignoring except for FFB and B) maybe get clever with Mz to smooth over the grip underestimation on transition.

However, the eventual 'right' answer is to not use a steady state model at all. The model I am working on is fully dynamic, and does not have this inherent underestimation problem. Attached is a quick little example demonstrating why...this is a quick little jolt in alpha.
-
I do think it would be class leading. For example, rF2 is I think using a straight stick/slip bristle patch (which is still really good), and builds up a database doing a similar carcass sim offline. In effect, this reduces their carcass to steady state, but they do a much higher element count. Their patch is dynamic though, so they do get a lot of first order dynamic effect, including solving the transient grip problem. We'd get even more.

Consoles is a big question, although at a reduced resolution, but still effective, I think it would work there. The killer will be AI. The CPU cost is too high to expect more than one or two cars, including the player car, on lower end hardware. So we still need something dirt cheap, like the brush in there now, for at least AI, even if not consoles. And we need the models to correlate well, at least for basic steady state curves.

Hence, the first priority is to get the brush spruced up nicely before delving into the dynamic model.

Shaneus

So, that new tyre option that's there. Tyre feedback or whatever (the one that's next to all the other options but is all on it's own)... is that the same option that was in the F1 menu? What should it be set to?

magawolaz

Hi guys, I'm such a noob about PC gaming so this is probably a dumb question: I have an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz", and I'm not sure if it is enough to run this game; judging by the minimun pc requirements in the OP I'd say no, but I don't understand much about all of this...

Also, how long until the beta expires?

fresquito

Hi guys, I'm such a noob about PC gaming so this is probably a dumb question: I have an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz", and I'm not sure if it is enough to run this game; judging by the minimun pc requirements in the OP I'd say no, but I don't understand much about all of this...

Also, how long until the beta expires?
With the CPU alone, we can't tell.

The game is not in beta, it's pre-alpha. There's not an expiring day. There's a supposed deal that¡s going to be signed and when it is signed they will close access to new members. They said in three weeks, probably. It was three weeks ago.

magawolaz

With the CPU alone, we can't tell.
Acer Aspire 4750G

Intel Core i3-2310M (2.10GHz, 3MB L3)
HD 500GB - RAM 4GB - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology (1024 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM)
Display 14" wide 1366x768
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n - Windows 7 Home Premium

copy/pasta ftw

mclaren777

pCARS is nothing like Shift 2 handling and FFB wise.

Handling model: pCARS > Shift
FFB: pCARS = Shift (eg, neither are great)

There is a significant difference between the way cars handle and the feeling you get in the steering wheel. The car handling in pCARS is much more realistic than in Shift, but SMS still needs to work on the FFB in pCARS because it was pretty bad when I last played it (Build 189).

_machine

This is absolutely NOT true.

SHIFT FFB felt like all cars were driving through a big ocean of jelly.
Yeah, I can't agree with Mclaren.

pCars' FFB feels so much sharper, lighter and stronger than either Shift's. I do miss some of the canned effects like more pronounced kerbs and G-Forces, but that customizable FFB should fix that.

aeolist

Banned
I realize this is prerelease and all but how easy would it be for a total sim racer newbie to get into this? I have never put enough time into a sim to get good but I never had a good one for my PC before. I like cars and the idea of racing but I know basically nothing about all of the tweaking and terminology. Also I'd be using a pad.

Edit: My PC is totally up for it though, i7 960 with 12GB RAM and 6970.

You'll struggle a lot at first but it's not impossible to get good at, it will just take practice. If you put in the time you'll get a satisfying reward at the end.

I know fuck all about cars so don't worry about that.

Blizzard

Banned
I personally feel that both games have equally bad FFB – they're just bad in different ways.
I don't mean to be rude, and I don't know if you're playing a lot at a friend's house or what, but you left the project months ago, did you not? I think several people here are going to have a lot more experience with the recent FFB changes. =/ I don't think it's not really cool to offer assessments of the current FFB state.

I'm still just a bit confused since several weeks ago I thought there was a build that some considered nearly perfect with FFB. I feel like different people have different ideas of what it should feel like, however.

mclaren777

I don't mean to be rude, and I don't know if you're playing a lot at a friend's house or what, but you left the project months ago, did you not? I think several people here are going to have a lot more experience with the recent FFB changes. =/ I don't think it's not really cool to offer assessments of the current FFB state.

I did leave the project back in January but my recent experience with Build 189 left me feeling quite cool to the project. It's been obvious that SMS has made big strides in the content and graphics departments, but the physics and FFB still seem to be lagging behind (I felt the same way back in Oct-Jan).

I asked people on GAF for tweaks/changes that could make the FFB better so I can have a better experience next time, but I didn't seem to get much help. I really want pCARS to have excellent physics and FFB, but I'm struggling to see any hope that things will improve due to the glacial pace of development in those two areas.

And while my time with pCARS was rather short (probably 60-90 minutes) I have more experience with other sims' physics/FFB than most people on GAF so I think I have every right to comment on its relative place in the pecking order.

Top Bottom