• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group is restructuring to reduce costs. This will lead to layoffs, studio closures, and project cancellations.

Everyone,

This morning we announced a restructuring program across the Embracer Group that will make us a leaner, stronger and a more focused, self-sufficient company. I want to share some background and context to this decision – and what it means for us going forward.

During the past years, Embracer invested significantly both in acquisitions and into a strategy of accelerated organic growth. We have acquired some of the world’s leading entertainment IP and we have invested into one of the largest pipelines of games across the industry. The program presented today will transform us from our current heavy-investment-mode to a highly cash-flow generative business this year. It will enable us to meet the worsening economy and market reality as a strong company and it will fundamentally change our prioritization of growth with raised capital towards optimization and growth based on our own cashflows. The program will lower our net debt significantly. After completion of this program, we will generate growth in profitability with less business risk and with higher margins in the PC/Console segment over the coming years. This, in turn, will give us the freedom to continue to grow and deliver the high-quality experiences our players really value.

The program is divided into different phases until March 2024 with focus on cost savings, capital allocation, efficiency and consolidation. The initial phase, which is initiated immediately, mainly targets cost savings across the group. The next phase, which also starts immediately, will require further analysis to determine specific actions. The last phase will focus on internal consolidation, further resource utilization and more synergies across the Group. The actions for each affected company will be implemented by the new interim COO and CSO in collaboration with each operative group CEO and management teams. Embracer currently engages close to 17,000 people and while that number will be lower by the end of the year, it is too early to give an exact forecast on this.

It is painful to see talented team members leave. Our people are what make up the very fabric of Embracer. I understand and respect that many of you will be worried about your own position and I don’t have all the answers to all questions. I want to be clear that the decisions about this program were not taken lightly.

I am asking all our managers to lead and act with compassion, respect, and integrity. Throughout each phase and wherever possible, we will work to ensure that affected team members receive information first. Where we can, we will try to provide opportunities for our colleagues to transition onto other projects. It’s important to note that while we are removing roles in some companies, we will continue to hire in others. We know, understand and respect that this is a challenging time for every person impacted. For me communication and transparency are key, but it’s also an increasingly difficult challenge in matters such as this program

The reality is that the quicker we act, the sooner we emerge as a stronger company.

The actions will include, but not be limited to, closing or divestments of some studios and the termination or pausing of some ongoing game development projects. It will also include decreased spending on non-development costs such as overhead and other operating expenses. We will reduce third party publishing and put greater focus on internal IP and increase external funding of large-budget games.

Our new Executive Management team members, Matthew Karch and Phil Rogers, will work to implement a revised, thorough review process for investments in our ongoing and potential new game development projects. They will also take the lead on further consolidation of operations, including review of the operative group structure. We will have an increased focus on accountability across the group, ensuring performance is in line with or exceeding current targets.

The potential impact from the program of future game releases will almost entirely be around unannounced projects. All announced significant releases will still be released as planned.

I want to thank all of our industry partners that reached out in the past weeks and expressed their respect for Embracer and their desire to do more business with us, whether big, small, or transformative, on our journey forward. As one of the largest content providers in the industry, this is the everyday business we should continue to increase. I see this as an acknowledgment of how important our people, games and IPs are for the wider gaming ecosystem.

There is significant untapped potential in Embracer which we will work together to unleash. We need to better leverage our scale, the quality of our portfolio and our capabilities. Our commitment to our transmedia strategy remains intact. That strategy alone has great potential to deliver substantial value across the group over the coming years. Ultimately, this will empower our entrepreneurs and creators to continue to deliver outstanding and memorable experiences to gamers and fans across the globe. I’m confident in our team’s ability to achieve results and maintain our position as a worldwide leader in the gaming industry.

I’m proud of what we have built over the past years, and we should acknowledge that we are heading into a solid year with many amazing releases such as Remnant 2, Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine 2, Payday 3, Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged, Arizona Sunshine 2, Alone in the Dark, Homeworld 3, and many many others. Our financial year started with one of our greatest successes so far, Dead Island 2, which exceeded our management’s already high expectations.

Embracer was founded on the values of trust, a long-term mindset, and a desire to embrace different perspectives. As difficult as some of the decisions we will take over the coming weeks and months will be, we are doing this because we are confident that we will emerge a stronger, more efficient company setting out on a stable future to build even greater value across our many studios and fantastic portfolio of IPs.

Thank you all,

Lars Wingefors
Group CEO Embracer Group

Last edited:

bitbydeath

giphy.gif

Three

What do you expect is going to happen when you buy irrelevant studios.
This is why buying a lot of studios is pointless without the talent or big IPs. They have no value aside of eating costs.
They have big IPs but it was obvious that they were going to shutter studios and combine the workforce from the studios where possible and horde the IPs.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Someone please buy them (not tencent), they have ton of talent, it would suck if they would go under with all of those studios.

feynoob

Banned
They have big IPs but it was obvious that they were going to shutter studios and combine the workforce from the studios where possible and horde the IPs.
They had 90+ studios.
You could make a case for merging, but having that much studios was not feesible for a long term.
30 studios would have worked better.

Denton

Not surprising - they acquired many companies and have no doubt huge amount of redundancy in various marketing, PR and community management departments - those are likely to go first. Comprehensive overview of projects in dev and trimming those that are unlikely to be successful also makes sense. I don't doubt the loss of 2B deal speeded up this action.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

To be fair, Payday 3 seemed to make a big impression over the show season on steam and youtube. Remnant 2 seems decent enough, but something about Space Marine 2 footage looks fishy to me, like it isn't representative of gameplay at all.

HL3.exe

..while barely even releasing any games since they've cropped up.

Gonna be bad news for the new Deus Ex probably. And here I thought them buying all the western properties from Square Enix was gonna save a lot of older IP.

Developing stuff under huge pressure and strict cutbacks is always healthy for the final product.

/s

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
They bought tooo many studios and released too many underwhelming games.
As expected, the result is not good.

Fabieter

Well that sucks but with so many other tech companies doing it I wouldn't say its because of size, imo it's because of economic challenges. Either way hopefully the people land on their feet.

Inevitable especially after that big deal fell through.
They own so much awesome stuff. I just hope they can focus more but it's not easy with so many sperate studios.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Going forward, Embracer plans to focus on its main business areas – PC, console, mobile and board games and other related media – as well as introducing a “greater focus” on IP. During an investor presentation on Tuesday morning hosted by Wingefors, Karch, Rogers and CFO John Ekstrom, Karch said: “I have a high degree of confidence that this entire process is going to easily translate into better product selection that’s more profitable, and that gives us a greater opportunity for growth in the future and that helps to leverage the IP that we own within our organization.”
“I mean, we own ‘Lord of the Rings,'” Karch continued. “And we know we need to be exploiting ‘Lord of the Rings’ in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world. And that’s obviously something that we’re going to be doing. And so that’s a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on.

Expect lots of games to be canceled and studios to close so the remaining studios can churn out LotR games ...

BTW the number of companies the Embracer Group owns is just ridiculous ....

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
What do you expect is going to happen when you buy irrelevant studios.
This is why buying a lot of studios is pointless without the talent or big IPs. They have no value aside of eating costs.
I guess that they were more about buying IPs (they did manage to pick a few big ones). Now they are cleaning the house. I feel for all these people that will be laid off but this was expected to eventually happen. If I were in one of these studios as soon as the acquisition went through I’d be looking for a new job elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Someone please buy them (not tencent), they have ton of talent, it would suck if they would go under with all of those studios.

17000 employees is a crazy amount to take on.

Absolutely no chance anyone will buy them without significant layoffs.

Begleiter

And here I'd been assured they were just made of money. It's a shame for the people who'll lose their jobs (except for anyone who wrote on Saint's Row, who definitely is in the wrong field and will benefit from the opportunity to reflect and move on to a more suitable profession).

Last edited:

poodaddy

It's Business 101, if your growth rate exceeds what your revenue production plans can facilitate, then your growth will kill you. Whenever I see a company buying tons of other companies up, I know exactly what's happening in the next few years. I don't know why anyone still does this.

Grow slow, it's how a business safely reaches new heights.

Wildebeest

It's Business 101, if your growth rate exceeds what your revenue production plans can facilitate, then your growth will kill you. Whenever I see a company buying tons of other companies up, I know exactly what's happening in the next few years. I don't know why anyone still does this.

Grow slow, it's how a business safely reaches new heights.
Seems obvious that they were hoping Microsoft would buy them for some unrealistic fantasy figure.

Goodbye Saints Row.

Such a shame. The first three games were great and they were on the right path. The last one was just a 360/ps3 game. The problem was when Saints Row started it was one of few open world games available. But now everything is open world, so the bar is set high and they couldn’t meet it with Saints Row 5.

And here I was hoping for a new Legacy of Kain, Thief and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex probably won't get cancelled since it could release alongside Cyberpunk 2 and ride the genre hype wave.

But other stuff is not exactly a safe bet.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
What the hell!? Apparently they own 850 IPs and have 130 internal dev teams/studios!
image.png

I think their plan was to buy studios on the cheap, then either sell out to the likes of Google/Apple/Tencent for big bucks or get outside investment to continue making their games.

Unfortunately some of their games released have flopped, and the $2bn cash injection they were promised fell through, damaging them significantly.

Neilg

I would wager that this was the plan all along. The scale that they have to do it at will be what's changed.
Buy like mad, collect IP, give everyone a chance to pitch some design documents, then cut the fat and keep the real talent. You can't trim the fat and keep the talent if you didn't over hire/acquire to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom