• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer's restructuring program has cost over 900 people their jobs as of September 30 | They also mention "discontinuing a number of studios"

More info via Idas from the purple forum:

Results from Embracer:

- A bit better than expected.

- The restructuring program has resulted in a reduction of around 900 staff, 5% of its workforce, and the discontinuation of several studios and projects.

- Mixed reception and performance for Payday 3.

-
Multiple divestments and/or external investments are very likely happening:

In the past months, we have accelerated processes to divest assets relative to processes to increase external funding of game development projects. This shift is driven primarily by a notable inbound interest, but also by market dynamics and reduced levels of platform content investments. As a result, we are now running a few structured divestment processes that give us flexibility and optionality to reach our targets. We are focused on maximizing shareholder value and on delivering the targeted run-rate capex levels in the most effective way. Notable capex savings and net debt reduction are expected to materialize post-completion of these processes.

- Internal consolidation is happening too:

Right now we are in the early stages of our plans to consolidate our businesses, including a review of our operative group structure, which is part of the late stages of the restructuring program. We have a responsibility to use our size and talent in smart ways to develop and scale services and capabilities across Embracer
to deliver always better experiences for players.

They have 12 operative groups (Gearbox, Crystal Dynamics/Eidos or Saber are independent groups, for example). I guess that more than one is going to be consolidated.

Denton

At this point I’m just waiting for the same thing to happen to Xbox Game Studios. I imagine a lot of beloved studios will be disappearing as a result of all the consolidation that’s going on.
MS has 143 billion cash on hand warchest and 2.7 trillion USD market cap.

Embracer has 0.36 billion cash on hand and 3 billion USD market cap.

MS can afford to keep running plenty of studios, even regardless of their success, for a long time.

Embracer will go out of business if they don't become leaner and more profitable soon.

Robb

Gold Member
MS has 143 billion cash on hand warchest and 2.7 trillion USD market cap.

Embracer has 0.36 billion cash on hand and 3 billion USD market cap.

MS can afford to keep running plenty of studios, even regardless of their success, for a long time.

Embracer will go out of business if they don't become leaner and more profitable soon.
Sure, they can. I don’t think they will though. If studios under deliver I think they’ll cut the fat eventually by merging and/or closing them to make things more efficient/streamlined.

Sure they can. They could have also continued to sell Zune players and Nokia phones and give away Kinects for Xbones for free. But did not.
You don't become such a giant by running any part of the company like a welfare program.

Considering how Netflix, Disney, Spotify, DAZN are struggling the discussions in MS board meetings with its Xbox subscription push are imho probably already becoming quite heated especially with 2023 not really sticking the landing at all.

They don't have to follow Embracer immediately but if not finding more success soon, they probably will. I would have assumed Starfield will be the starting gun for their rise, but seems like ABK must do the job, again postponing more significant success into the future.

StereoVsn

I don’t agree. They brought back a lot of forgotten series. Their mistake was to grow too quickly and kinda just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks to it.
They also just left all studios mostly alone and didn’t try to take advantage of their size and properly consolidate and integrate acquired studios.

They have 12 freaking divisions and all studios are separate. That’s a lot of overhead in HR, procurement, finance and so on.

Hell, they could have proper company wide QA that would help all Studios and so on. Just buying stuff up and leaving it alone was always a strange proposition.

This is 100% what we're looking at with Microsoft and their unsustainable acquisitions.

Microsoft bought Nokia in 2013 for 7.2 billion dollars. They sold them in 2016 and 7,800 employees were laid off. They wrote off the losses and sold the business for 350 million dollars.

Microsoft is okay with the drag that Xbox is on the overall company, but they will have to make a decision as it relates to Xbox and Gaming.

I wish Microsoft was transparent when it comes to Xbox because we would have a better understanding of the trajectory of this, but I assure everyone here that this isn't sustainable.

Look at Toys for Bob, even multiplatform under ABK they were almost closed, and then they experienced massive layoffs and were essentially turned into a support studio for CoD. Why? Kotick saw more ROI in CoD support to make their annual releases than he did in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Phil is going to change that probably and put them back on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, which means less support for CoD, but does it mean they won't do annual releases?

If they don't do annual releases their revenues will dwindle under Microsoft's leadership. If they maintain annual releases without the support, the quality will suffer and then the brand will decline, and so will revenue.

What happened with Nokia? The company was already struggling and then Microsoft made them exclusive to just Windows phones, which cratered their sales. Because there wasn't enough software support for Windows Mobile, no one was buying the phones.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you want to see how studios they own check out the wiki. I'm not even going to post it as it's so many it'll take up pages and pages. Who knows how many of these studios even make games or are active. Most of the studios dont even have a dedicated wiki link, which is something wiki posters will do for just about any company or game studio.

As of September 2023, Embracer Group has 129 internal game development studios and is engaging more than 15,000 employees and contracted employees in more than 40 countries

Last edited:

graywolf323

can they afford to? sure, but did you somehow miss the massive amounts of layoffs Microsoft had throughout this year? 🤨 because they’ve clearly signaled with that where they could easily have afforded to keep those people that they don’t care & they will still trim what they consider the ‘fat’ as it were

DrFigs

This is 100% what we're looking at with Microsoft and their unsustainable acquisitions.

Microsoft bought Nokia in 2013 for 7.2 billion dollars. They sold them in 2016 and 7,800 employees were laid off. They wrote off the losses and sold the business for 350 million dollars.

Microsoft is okay with the drag that Xbox is on the overall company, but they will have to make a decision as it relates to Xbox and Gaming.

I wish Microsoft was transparent when it comes to Xbox because we would have a better understanding of the trajectory of this, but I assure everyone here that this isn't sustainable.

Look at Toys for Bob, even multiplatform under ABK they were almost closed, and then they experienced massive layoffs and were essentially turned into a support studio for CoD. Why? Kotick saw more ROI in CoD support to make their annual releases than he did in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Phil is going to change that probably and put them back on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, which means less support for CoD, but does it mean they won't do annual releases?

If they don't do annual releases their revenues will dwindle under Microsoft's leadership. If they maintain annual releases without the support, the quality will suffer and then the brand will decline, and so will revenue.

What happened with Nokia? The company was already struggling and then Microsoft made them exclusive to just Windows phones, which cratered their sales. Because there wasn't enough software support for Windows Mobile, no one was buying the phones.
COD needs more devs working on it, not less, as evidenced by the sorry state of mw3. Phil is not going to move toys for bob from COD to work on franchises no one cares about.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
can they afford to? sure, but did you somehow miss the massive amounts of layoffs Microsoft had throughout this year? 🤨 because they’ve clearly signaled with that where they could easily have afforded to keep those people that they don’t care & they will still trim what they consider the ‘fat’ as it were
True, but I dont think many of those big layoffs were gaming related.

Xbox as a whole since it came about 20 years is likely not very profitable at all. And even if it is, it definitely drags down MS's metrics as the company is server and software focused which are huge profits and profit margins.

Yet Xbox is still here.

poodaddy

5%? So Embracer employs nearly 20000 people?! Jesus Christ dude, that's insane.

They grew way, way, way too fast. Incredibly amateur mistake. These layoffs are nowhere near done if that 5% estimation is correct, when all's said and done I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to over 5000 redundancies.

Grow slow folks.

graywolf323

Xbox as a whole since it came about 20 years is likely not very profitable at all. And even if it is, it definitely drags down MS's metrics as the company is server and software focused which are huge profits and profit margins.

Yet Xbox is still here.
I’m not saying they’ll get rid of Xbox but Microsoft’s size doesn’t mean the studios are safe

it did impact gaming, 343i & The Coalition were among the hardest hit (supposedly a quarter of 343i were laid off)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
5%? So Embracer employs nearly 20000 people?! Jesus Christ dude, that's insane.

They grew way, way, way too fast. Incredibly amateur mistake. These layoffs are nowhere near done if that 5% estimation is correct, when all's said and done I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to over 5000 redundancies.

Grow slow folks.
In my Embracer links above, they did most of their studio acquisitions during covid. That was the worst time going forward. At that time it looked great as tech/gamin exploded and interest rates were rock bottom.

But since 2022, rates shot up and gaming normalized.

But now they are stuck from buying up a ton of studios.

My guess is during covid, a lot of their acquisitions came about because a lot of these smaller studios panicked not sure if they'll go belly up or not. They didnt spike usage and sales like big tech companies, so Embracer thought it'd be a slam dump scooping up small companies dirt cheap. Thats my guess at least.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yet Xbox is still here.
Microsoft layoffs came from highly profitable divisions including Support engineers from their M365 and Azure clouds. They cut freaking sales and support for their most money making sections and you think they won’t cut Xbox!?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Thread about Embracer, suddenly change to how Xbox is going bankrupt. NEOGAF in a nutshell.
It Is a movie that you can see frequently on Neogaf...

Sospechosos_habituales-250585845-large.jpg

Kadve

To recap:

Embracer has laid off 900 people, or ~5% in total this year

Electronic Arts cut 780 positions, or ~6% of their workforce earlier this year

Unity also laid off 900 people (not sure how many they employ) with more likely to come.

And Epic let go of 830 people, ~16% of their worksforce

And that's just the larger studios. 2023 hs not been a good year for gaming....

- A bit better than expected.

Funny thing is that it was still enough for stockholders to regain some trust in them. Their shares are back up again.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Indeed, what's baseless is speculation that Embracer "scams indies" or "money launders". Let me know when there is any evidence for that, or someone sues Embracer at least.

Buying large amounts of companies only to shortly cancel and fire its staff is hardly speculation. Even if the contracts were valid under a false pretense, as easily one can break a contract so can the law invalidate said contracts, if of course one would decide to sue them which was my first initial post. Simple as that. There is no evidence, it's all based on internet information, but its hard to not find all what Embracer did publicly in the last year shady, God knows what else went behind the scenes that we do not know.

PanzerCute

These guys thought they had a 2b investment deal but nothing was set in stone at the time, but they still spent the money in advance.

The deal fell through and now they are in deep shit.

This has to be one of the worst cases of mismanagement in the industry.

I am sorry for the people who lose their job, obviously, but these twats at the top of the company are some gigantic morons and they deserve that.

More info regarding the Embracer layoffs.

Saint's Row studio Volition has had to close down completely, while Tomb Raider developers Crystal Dynamics have been forced to lay off 10% of their workforce too. There are also rumours that Free Radical Design have all been fired and the new Timesplitters has been shut down by Embracer. This while Dead Island 2 made a profit after being in development hell for several years, and Payday 3 is already making a profit despite a troubled launch.

Top Bottom