• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr E.

Reggie said this game takes place in the same game world that AlttP but with a new story and dungeons. Don't know what it means but don't like the sound of it.
I'm not getting the negative vibes around here about this.

I mean the dungeons are the bread and butter of the zelda games. The over world is the fetch and carry stuff.
As this is touted as a sequel to one of the best Zelda games ever. I'm glad to see a link to the past in a link to the past. Lol.
I do hope the map opens up more and new areas are there to be discovered. I imagine it would.

If no part of the previous game was present I wonder how many would say there just "cashing in" on LTTP great status.

I'm looking forward to this personally.

Hmm? I just vastly prefer the 3D Zeldas.
Boo_this_man.gif

havent kept up with the thread. Is this a new game or a remake?

Reggie said:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, was originally released for the Super NES in 1992. Those of you who've heard me speak about this game know that it's my favorite of all time. More than 20 years after this landmark game was originally released, we're now developing a new game that will take place in the same game world, for Nintendo 3DS.

What our developers want to achieve in this new Zelda game, is to reinvigorate the flat 2D world of The Link to the Past with a sense of height and volume using the three-dimensional display of Nintendo 3DS. With it, it's easier to differentiate levels in the environment, and our developers can utilize height differences in dungeons as a puzzle-solving mechanic.

While this game is set in the world of A Link to the Past, it features an original storyline and entirely new dungeons. Also in this game, Link can become a drawing and move within walls. By moving in the walls, your viewpoint changes, and you can see the connections within the area that you couldn't observe before. This new mechanic will play a key role in solving puzzles in the game.

Because we want you to experience the full game world with the full 3D visuals our developers have created, we've prepared a 3D video you can download from the Nintendo eShop shortly after this video concludes. We'll be launching this exciting new game in the Zelda series for Nintendo 3DS this holiday season.

This.

Neiteio

I should say, this is exactly what I imagined Zelda 3DS to look like after they said they were experimenting with 3D ALttP, and after seeing level 5-2 in Super Mario 3D Land (the top-down Zelda tribute level).

NeonZ

Personally, I'm really not excited for a top down Zelda game. It's kind of disappointing to see them taking this route after doing a 3d Zelda on a portable, without even attempting to make an actual new 3d game.

Wow, when Miyamoto said they were considering making a game like LttP, I had no idea that it would actually come to fruition.

Not terribly hyped on the art style, but the chalk drawing mechanic looks really cool!

A comment on the art style... At first I was upset because Link seemed to have blonde or dirty blonde hair... Yes yes, ALttP's sprite is famous for having PINK hair, but that was to make it stand out more on the low detail sprite. All the artwork for LttP had Link with brown hair.

Then I looked closer and a lot of artwork (especially the closeup) clearly shows him with brown and the light effect just makes him seem blonder. It's actually a very nice touch to blend the older style Brown haired Links with the Blonde haired Links from more recent games.

We need more brown haired Links is what I'm getting at.

My stance on the art is that I'm cool with it, and I like the way some of the backgrounds look especially that mountain vista, but it's cool if people like it and it's cool if people don't like it.

Not a particularly deep frame of mind, but there you have it. I think everyone's opinion is justified as its a pretty subjective topic. Even I was a bit weirded out by it at first, but it quickly dissipated after seeing more footage.

Basically it's all cool, and for those of you who don't like it, I doubt this is *the* 3DS Zelda... merely a 3DS Zelda. I still think before the 3DS cycle ends that we'll get something more standalone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So its lazy because it's 2D.
If you can find a single shred of evidence to back up the claim, you will shut a lot of people up.

Don't bother arguing with people like this who thinks 2D games are "lazy". Apparently making an updated port of OOT is not considered lazy, but a new 2D game set into the LTTP world is.

Neiteio

They were in the SNES version.
Not in the sense I'm talking about. In the SNES game, you still went through doors in the hub world/overworld to reach the dungeons. Please understand that when I say "hub world," I don't mean something as simple as, say, SMG2, but rather just a zone you travel through to reach the doors to the dungeons.

I'm a little disappointed it's a direct sequel, but yay! 2D Zelda. Hopefully it doesn't control like the DS games.

Also, please, PLEASE, PLEASE have a special edition Zedla 3DS XL.

Oh, and for everyone disappoint that this wasn't MM 3D or another full 3D Zelda... think about this.

This LttP 2 is going to take a lot less time and effort to make than another full 3D zelda.

Remember that Miyamoto didn't want to release a remake of MM right after OoT... This means they'll have LttP 2 out by the end of the year, and they may even have MM remake or the next full 3D game out by christmas 2014 or 2015.

In other words, if they made a new 3D one before MM remake, MM remake probably wouldn't be out till the end of 3ds or when 4ds comes out.

You're playing the inferior way, literally getting less visual feedback with none of the added distinction from true 3D depth and solidity. But you're right, everyone is entitled to their preferences and the system accommodates both. I'll just never understand why someone would want to miss out on the way the game was intended by Nintendo to be played. The whole game is built around 3D to be more enjoyable with it. To play in 2D, is to not get the full experience.

Also, the "dodongo turds and cucco shits" was a joke. Those are Zelda creatures (the dragons that spit fireballs, and the Zelda world's equivalent of chickens, respectively).
No, see I am not. Im not playing a blurry game trying to get the viewing angle for a finicky device just right to play the way you want to. Thats not an inferior way of playing.

What visual feedback does 3D provide that is so immense that you absolutely need it to get through these sequels to long running series that have never required visual trickery to get through before? Did I imagine getting five shiny stars in 3D land? Was OoT impossible to play on the N64? What about iterations of Mario Kart before 7? Is DKCR3D now the only way to play that game cause now its in whoa 3D? Whatever the full experience is, I think its close enough.

And I know what a dodongo and cuckoo is. I dont see whats funny about calling people fictional Zelda creature fecal matter for not playing a certain way, but hey, yknow whatever. Humor is different for everyone.
Well since Opinions are Opinions, hopefully you can concede that some people actually think the 3D effect makes games look tangibly better, and have come to consider it as indispensable an effect as texture filtering, antialiasing, or any of the dozens of graphical effects that have made games look better and better over time. It's not a matter of "doing fine without gimmicks," but simply enjoying yet another effect that improves the look of video games. There is no need to be derogatory.
Of course I get that. Im just wondering why its so hard to believe that someone could think that 3D does nothing for someone. Hey, I didnt call people shit for liking 3D.

I'm a little disappointed it's a direct sequel, but yay! 2D Zelda. Hopefully it doesn't control like the DS games.

I would have been way more upset if it were just a remake. The original is just... like I can't see how anyone could make it better. Even, obviously, if they were to try and redo the visuals, not everyone would agree on it...

So I'm glad they're leaving the original one alone as it is and making this some kind of follow-up. It kind of meets right in the middle for me. I can say without question that I never thought something like this would ever happen.

HyperHip

So is this the same exact Link from LTTP/Oracle/LA? I mean this stuff should be cakewalk for him now given how overpowered he is.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love this.

The artstyle doesnt tickle my fancy though. The assets look nicely made, but very "safe". Not a big deal at all though, really excited.

What does it mean, "set in the same world"? Is there history and culture that's specific to the Hyrule in Link to the Past that isn't present in other Zelda games? Aside from Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, aren't the worlds basically the same anyway?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not in the sense I'm talking about. In the SNES game, you still went through doors in the hub world/overworld to reach the dungeons. Please understand that when I say "hub world," I don't mean something as simple as, say, SMG2, but rather just a zone you travel through to reach the doors to the dungeons.
Yeah, I know you're being overly pedantic for the sake of making a point.

I would have been way more upset if it were just a remake. The original is just... like I can't see how anyone could make it better. Even, obviously, if they were to try and redo the visuals, not everyone would agree on it...

So I'm glad they're leaving the original one alone as it is and making this some kind of follow-up. It kind of meets right in the middle for me. I can say without question that I never thought something like this would ever happen.

I wouldn't mind a remake, but I would have preferred a completely new 2D Zelda without any direct ties to any of the past games.

As I see it: completely new > direct sequel > remake

Berordn

What does it mean, "set in the same world"? Is there history and culture that's specific to the Hyrule in Link to the Past that isn't present in other Zelda games? Aside from Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, aren't the worlds basically the same anyway?

Based on what we've seen, at least part of the overworld is identical.

And technically the timeline that ALLTP takes place on is different than OOT track because there's fewer exotic races, but that's just nitpicking.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I didnt even know Zelda had a timeline until last year. Is it like an alternate universe timeline or something?

I'm too scared because of spoilers, I've only really played 2-3 Zelda games

For the most part, the timeline doesn't really matter... Until last year, it was a lot of fans just kinda speculating how these games fit together.

If you want to view Zelda games as a totally stand-alone thing, that's completely viable. They don't require your knowledge of previous titles, though it is kinda fun when they make a nod to old characters etc.

But yeah, the timeline is kinda crazy, with timelines splitting in certain places based on things that happen or that are prevented etc.

Hermii

Based on what we've seen, at least part of the overworld is identical.

And technically the timeline that ALLTP takes place on is different than OOT track because there's fewer exotic races, but that's just nitpicking.

There are fewer exotic races because it was made before those races were even imagined. Nothing to do with timelines.

Neiteio

No, see I am not. Im not playing a blurry game trying to get the viewing angle for a finicky device just right to play the way you want to. Thats not an inferior way of playing.

What visual feedback does 3D provide that is so immense that you absolutely need it to get through these sequels to long running series that have never required visual trickery to get through before? Did I imagine getting five shiny stars in 3D land? Was OoT impossible to play on the N64? What about iterations of Mario Kart before 7? Is DKCR3D now the only way to play that game cause now its in whoa 3D? Whatever the full experience is, I think its close enough.

And I know what a dodongo and cuckoo is. I dont see whats funny about calling people fictional Zelda creature fecal matter for not playing a certain way, but hey, yknow whatever. Humor is different for everyone.

Of course I get that. Im just wondering why its so hard to believe that someone could think that 3D does nothing for someone. Hey, I didnt call people shit for liking 3D.
It's not blurry at all, for starters. It is, however, incredibly solid-looking, and defined, with true height and depth in 3D. Every element is separate and distinct. The characters look like tactile action figures running around in an intricately handcrafted diorama. The way it was designed to be, and meant to be seen. The fact you think it looks "blurry" is questionable, because if anything it looks blurry in 2D, where all of the elements are flat and blur together, especially after watching it in 3D. Switching to 2D robs you of visual feedback that adds immeasurably to the experience. It's just plain pleasurable in 3D. 3D just takes something that looked decent before -- or even great, when we had no other reference points -- and makes it look incredible, like it's a real tangible world laid out in front of you.

Also, since you clearly think I was -really- calling you things for not liking 3D, no, Crewnh, I was not. Completely tongue in cheek. While I think you'll be missing out on something wonderful, I honestly have no problem with you playing in 2D (or with you, in general -- I like butting heads with you!).

JordanN

Banned
Is it bad a long time Zelda fan isn't really hyped for this?

It looks OK, but it just doesn't have that pull like past games.

I think it's the camera angle. The top down view just looks nauseating and even a little outdated.

Now if they had it positioned the same way as Super Mario 3D Land, that would have been sick.
5zU1Cuu.jpg

My stance on the art is that I'm cool with it, and I like the way some of the backgrounds look especially that mountain vista, but it's cool if people like it and it's cool if people don't like it.

Not a particularly deep frame of mind, but there you have it. I think everyone's opinion is justified as its a pretty subjective topic. Even I was a bit weirded out by it at first, but it quickly dissipated after seeing more footage.

Basically it's all cool, and for those of you who don't like it, I doubt this is *the* 3DS Zelda... merely a 3DS Zelda. I still think before the 3DS cycle ends that we'll get something more standalone.
Hopefully you're right. Part of why I'm slightly disappointed is exactly because this doesn't feel like a full original handheld entry (so far anyway).

But I still want my MM up port/remake/remaster/whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom