• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Real Life Locations Tour in Tokyo - Youtube Series by a Gaffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the streets exact? No cut corners or missing/consolidated streets? So if I play Yakuza Zero, I'd know my way around the area in real life?

They are pretty much exact. But remember, Yakuza 0 takes place in the 80's so there were some changes made to the streets overall. But for the most part, if you've played any Yakuza game you will immediately be familiar with your surroundings the moment you arrive in Kabukicho.

They are pretty much exact. But remember, Yakuza 0 takes place in the 80's so there were some changes made to the streets overall. But for the most part, if you've played any Yakuza game you will immediately be familiar with your surroundings the moment you arrive in Kabukicho.

That's pretty amazing. I remember Midnight Club Racing had my city of San Diego. I specifically remember the 94 freeway going into downtown and getting hit with familiarity from landmarks and buildings (the building I worked at was even there) but at the same time getting that feeling broken by shortened and missing streets.

I want to play Yakuza 0 pretty badly now, in part to prepare for my first trip to Japan someday. I've always been curious about the series anyway.

That's pretty amazing. I remember Midnight Club Racing had my city of San Diego. I specifically remember the 94 freeway going into downtown and getting hit with familiarity from landmarks and buildings (the building I worked at was even there) but at the same time getting that feeling broken by shortened and missing streets.

I want to play Yakuza 0 pretty badly now, in part to prepare for my first trip to Japan someday. I've always been curious about the series anyway.

Oh man I loved playing Midnight Club back in the day although Need for Speed Underground 2 was one of my favorites along with Project Gotham Racing.

If you're on the fence about the Yakuza series and it's sequels, what I always tell people is start with Yakuza 0 and KIWAMI if you're new to the series. Unlike a lot of other franchises, the Yakuza games are far removed from episodic storytelling. Every game is treated as if it's the last one. There are no cliffhangers, or open endings to setup a follow-up story. Every game is firm and definitive where it unloads everything and tries to be the best it possibly can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAC8o8PV6HM

New KIWAMI 2 trailer revealed

The official website has been updated:

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/kiwami2/

KOMAKI IS BACK!!!

battle_komaki01ss.jpg

All the shilling I keep doing for this series and you still haven't played it? Tsk tsk.

k19NxZ3.jpg

My god. Soutenbori has never looked THIS GOOD.

They also announced that Yakuza 6's Clan Creator will return in KIWAMI 2 with a new league of Japanese pro wrestlers.

The new and improved Clan Creator featuring a new league of Japanese pro wrestlers:

mxtPOFk.jpg

It seems like you can command your clan to gather various items/rewards during the onslaught. It also looks like there are mini missions during the battle.

First look at Ryu ga Gotoku ONLINE:

8RwYkwd.jpg

Taking place after the events of Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Kasuga Ichiban returns to Kamurocho in 2018 only to discover that the one man who once protected his life, has changed.

Does he real life fight with chinpira?
Does he go to kyabakura or host clubs?

If you're referring to the Locations Tour episodes, there may be some coverage on host/hostess clubs. You'll just have to watch and see. It's the old bait & switch.

It's a card game?

It kinda looks like the player takes turns by drawing a character card - presumably Ichiban's acquaintances and returning characters like Majima and Akiyama. Since it's free to play, I assume SEGA will sell character packs (similar to what they did with the Clan Creator DLC for Yakuza 6) or perhaps by working your way around the city, you can eventually earn special cards. I'm looking forward to the cinematics. I was very intrigued by the stylized graphic novel look. It's meant to be a prologue to Shin Ryu ga Gotoku (New Yakuza). I was on the fence about Ichiban replacing Kiryu, but he's slowly growing on me.

Aizo

Banned
If you're referring to the Locations Tour episodes, there may be some coverage on host/hostess clubs. You'll just have to watch and see. It's the old bait & switch.
I used to live in Shinjuku, so I'm pretty familiar with the area :)
If you were doing something like that, I'd check it out because I have no personal interest in going to kyabakura.

sublimit

Banned
Holy crap!How have i missed this?? Thanks for sharing i will definitely subscribe to his channel!
The virtual tourism part is one of my favorite aspects of the series!

I used to live in Shinjuku, so I'm pretty familiar with the area :)
If you were doing something like that, I'd check it out because I have no personal interest in going to kyabakura.

Oh man! My dream is to one day visit Osaka and do a Soutenbori Locations Tour at some point in the future. I love Tokyo, though so it may be a while until I can visit other states. My goal is to eventually do a Kenzan, Ishin and provide an extensive comparison between real life Kyoto and how it's represented in the games. Might be a bit of a challenge since those games take place in the 1500/1800s but a lot of their historical sites remain.

Holy crap!How have i missed this?? Thanks for sharing i will definitely subscribe to his channel!
The virtual tourism part is one of my favorite aspects of the series!

Much appreciated, sublimit! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that avatar of yours looks like the hostess of the weekly SEGA live streams with Nagoshi. I believe she was featured in Ryu ga Gotoku 3's Love in Heart that was unfortunately cut in the Western release.

This is so cool! Watching some of it now. Playing 0 right meow :p

Thanks for watching, xenorevlis! Hope you're enjoying the origin stories of Kiryu and Majima. I'm assuming you have the meow shoes equipped for extra cash while running/walking? I used that trick in Kiwami one time but I found that the Underground Colosseum fights granted much faster rewards.

Speaking of cats, did you know Sakamoto Ryoma can befriend a cat in Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin by giving it food?

Aizo

Banned
Oh man! My dream is to one day visit Osaka and do a Soutenbori Locations Tour at some point in the future. I love Tokyo, though so it may be a while until I can visit other states. My goal is to eventually do a Kenzan, Ishin and provide an extensive comparison between real life Kyoto and how it's represented in the games. Might be a bit of a challenge since those games take place in the 1500/1800s but a lot of their historical sites remain.
That sounds really cool.

Interesting thing about Shinsekai/Dōtonbori is how little it's changed over the past few years in comparison to Kabukicho. I think due to getting ready for the 2020 olympics, they've really cleaned up the place in a lot of ways. The movie theater, Godzilla Road, and that general area may still have hosts hitting on girls, but it's not nearly as seedy as it used to be. Many bartenders in Golden Gai complain about the government wanting to destroy the neighborhood and rebuild other things there. I think Kabukicho will be very different in a decade.

I was showing my friend around last weekend, and I couldn't believe I saw old white people far back in Kabukicho just taking pictures and smiling.

Dōtonbori, on the other other hand, feels like it's a lot more dangerous. You see way more muscular dudes with tattoos peeking out from their shirts, and it feels pretty rough.

I also used to live near another crime hub, Kitakyushu (major yakuza families headquarters are here). That area never felt dangerous to me, but I lived across the bridge, so maybe I just didn't see the worst neighborhoods.

--
Separate topic, but I feel like I should mention since you're a junior. People don't typically love double posts, so if you're posting within the same few hours and no new posts have been made, just edit your post and add the new stuff.

sublimit

Banned
Much appreciated, sublimit! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that avatar of yours looks like the hostess of the weekly SEGA live streams with Nagoshi. I believe she was featured in Ryu ga Gotoku 3's Love in Heart that was unfortunately cut in the Western release.

You're right!I have a crush on Ayana Tsubaki haha! :3 I was pissed that she was among the content that was cut from the Western release of Y3.I really hope she gets another role in a future Yakuza game.

Jimrpg

Please do this! :)

That sounds really cool.

Interesting thing about Shinsekai/Dōtonbori is how little it's changed over the past few years in comparison to Kabukicho. I think due to getting ready for the 2020 olympics, they've really cleaned up the place in a lot of ways. The movie theater, Godzilla Road, and that general area may still have hosts hitting on girls, but it's not nearly as seedy as it used to be. Many bartenders in Golden Gai complain about the government wanting to destroy the neighborhood and rebuild other things there. I think Kabukicho will be very different in a decade.

I was showing my friend around last weekend, and I couldn't believe I saw old white people far back in Kabukicho just taking pictures and smiling.

Dōtonbori, on the other other hand, feels like it's a lot more dangerous. You see way more muscular dudes with tattoos peeking out from their shirts, and it feels pretty rough.

I also used to live near another crime hub, Kitakyushu (major yakuza families headquarters are here). That area never felt dangerous to me, but I lived across the bridge, so maybe I just didn't see the worst neighborhoods.

--
Separate topic, but I feel like I should mention since you're a junior. People don't typically love double posts, so if you're posting within the same few hours and no new posts have been made, just edit your post and add the new stuff.

Thanks for sharing insight of how much Kabukicho has changed! During my stay I saw a lot of promotional advertisements and collaborations with the Olympics. Yes, there were LOTS of tourists in the area. In fact, I remember watching this robot 'Aladdin' club where the animatronics of the characters perform various J pop songs in the Kabukicho area. There were bright LED lights everywhere and tourists were loving every second of it.

I keep forgetting to press the + beside the 'Quote'. Thanks for reminding me.

You're right!I have a crush on Ayana Tsubaki haha! :3 I was pissed that she was among the content that was cut from the Western release of Y3.I really hope she gets another role in a future Yakuza game.

Yeah she's been hosting the SEGA nico nico streams since the promotional 2009 TGS promotional campaign for RGG 3 if I'm not mistaken. I agree. I'd like to see her as a recurring side character in future games. Perhaps as proprietress of a bar (mama) or she could be a replacement for Bob the clown where you receive free DLCs for Premium Adventure.

Please do this! :)

Will do arbok! It will take some time for me to accomplish that goal but I will get there eventually. Thanks again for creating this thread.

_Ryo_

It kinda looks like the player takes turns by drawing a character card - presumably Ichiban's acquaintances and returning characters like Majima and Akiyama. Since it's free to play, I assume SEGA will sell character packs (similar to what they did with the Clan Creator DLC for Yakuza 6) or perhaps by working your way around the city, you can eventually earn special cards. I'm looking forward to the cinematics. I was very intrigued by the stylized graphic novel look. It's meant to be a prologue to Shin Ryu ga Gotoku (New Yakuza). I was on the fence about Ichiban replacing Kiryu, but he's slowly growing on me.

I was into Ichiban immediately.

Maybe it's just me but, I think Kazuhiro Nakatani voices both Arakawa and Ichiban. If you listen closely to the recent trailer and the introduction trailer back in August, both characters sound similar.

Actually the voice of Ichiban is
Kazuhiro Nakaya
, the voice of
Nishikiyama

DTU

Banned
This is great! I'm a huge Yakuza fan and was lucky enough to stay in and visit Kabukicho, and these videos bring back a lot of great memories. Seeing the locations from the games in person was unreal.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where's Champion District? That was by far the best part.

This is great! I'm a huge Yakuza fan and was lucky enough to stay in and visit Kabukicho, and these videos bring back a lot of great memories. Seeing the locations from the games in person was unreal.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where's Champion District? That was by far the best part.

Thanks for watching DTU! You know what, I actually covered 'Champion District' in my last documentary I did five years ago which you can watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUsiF7Jfyjc&list=PL0HKt-kbL9sb_GAN-dznUXxfTZYEFAsJu&index=2

But I recently learned that the Champion District was inspired by Golden Gai in Tokyo. I'm going to do a mini follow-up series sometime in December 2017 - early 2018 documenting the newly opened SEGA Store in Theater Square as well as a few places I may have missed. I'll be using KIWAMI 2 as the comparison this time around since it is the latest installment and most updated representation of Kamurocho (despite it being taken place in 2006).

I'd like to thank everyone here at Neogaf for supporting the Locations Tour series and especially those who have shared the videos with their friends, Yakuza fans etc.

I've tried to email and even joined Games Press to let SEGA know about the videos but since then, there was no response. Perhaps a mailed letter would suffice?

In a month, I will be travelling to Kabukicho once again to film a mini follow-up to the Yakuza Locations Tour series. I'll keep everyone posted on my travels and if I get chance to check out KIWAMI 2 at one of the upcoming meet n greets in Tokyo.

I just saw the screens from Gematsu (for some reason the official site still doesn't work for me)

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/yakuza-kiwami-2-details-sotenbori-osaka

Looks very cool!Now i want to show these to my Japanese teacher (she's from Osaka).I'm sure she will be impressed!

Nice find. My goal is to eventually do a Kenzan/Ishin Locations Tour as well as the cities featured in Yakuza 5 (Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka) and Yakuza 6 (Hiroshima). All in due time. In November, I'll be travelling back to Kabukicho to film a mini follow-up series. I'll be using KIWAMI 2 as a comparison since it is the most up-to-date game in the series (despite the game taking place in 2006). Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom