• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

ShapeGSX

That's one beautiful bike.

Thanks! I was riding last Sunday and the (then) owner of the bike passed me at an intersection. I caught up with him and said "nice bike!" He said "thanks, I'm actually selling it." I said, "let's stop and exchange info." Then I found out he upgraded to DI2, was selling the stock Giant carbon fiber wheels with it, and had upgraded the stem to a Ritchey C260 carbon stem and the handlebars too. And it was in my size. The price was far less than the price of the bike new, without the upgrades. And he just bought it in February. And I knew some of the people he rides with.

Wednesday, I test rode it. Friday, I bought it.

Crazy week.

The bike is so much better at high speeds than my last TCR. Stiffer and yet more comfortable too. Don't know how they did it.

Anyone have a favourite multitool to recommend?

As long as it has good allen keys, a philips head and a flat-head (or whatever it's called) is fine with me. I'd rather carry something a bit heavier if it's sturdier. Thanks!

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good tire pump? Maybe something small and portable. I'm looking to get a nice package for someone who is getting a bike for a birthday.

Mainly lock, pump, and a tool (I'll take your recommendations posted earlier)

Addnan

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good tire pump? Maybe something small and portable. I'm looking to get a nice package for someone who is getting a bike for a birthday.

Mainly lock, pump, and a tool (I'll take your recommendations posted earlier)

If it's something for a puncture on the side of the road then the Topeak Racerocket is supposed to be quite good. I just use a LifeLine mini pump which was cheap, does the job but takes a lot of pumping to get it to a decent pressure level. If it will be their only pump then would really recommend a track pump with a pressure gauge to keep at home and a cheap mini pump for emergencies.

HTupolev

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good tire pump? Maybe something small and portable.
For the bike, I like my Topeak Racerocket HP. The mounting bracket works great and is very unobtrusive,and it's also tiny and only 82g so it's very compact in a jersey pocket as well.
It uses a threaded chuck on a rubber hose that makes pumping very wieldy. Even though the air cylinder is pretty tiny and doesn't do tons of air with each stroke, getting road tires back to rideable pressure is fairly quick and easy for a mini-pump.

For home, any track pump with a pressure gauge.

Addnan

Just throwing this out there just in case before I stick it on ebay.

Any UK guys interested in buying an Ultegra 6800 chainset 53/39 172.5mm, probably has about 200 miles on it. Very light tiny scratches from storage. Teeth are perfect. Can send some pictures if anyone cares. About £90.

I want to upgrade the stock 700x25 tires on my endurance road bike to 28s. My priority is something durable for harsh urban roads and maybe even some occasional gravel riding.

What do you guys recommend?

Addnan

I want to upgrade the stock 700x25 tires on my endurance road bike to 28s. My priority is something durable for harsh urban roads and maybe even some occasional gravel riding.

Maybe the Panaracer Gravel King, they seem good. 4 seasons are pretty good too if you'll be primarily road and some gravel only.

Panaracer Gravel Kings (Not the SK versions), Schwable GOne Speed, Continental 4Seasons

DO NOT buy Gatorskins

frontieruk

Just throwing this out there just in case before I stick it on ebay.

Any UK guys interested in buying an Ultegra 6800 chainset 53/39 172.5mm, probably has about 200 miles on it. Very light tiny scratches from storage. Teeth are perfect. Can send some pictures if anyone cares. About £90.

Let's go to pm if the offers still there...

Maybe the Panaracer Gravel King, they seem good. 4 seasons are pretty good too if you'll be primarily road and some gravel only.
Panaracer Gravel Kings (Not the SK versions), Schwable GOne Speed, Continental 4Seasons

DO NOT buy Gatorskins
Thanks for the replies. I've been researching tires today and I think the 4 seasons is the top contender so far, with the gravelking and GP4000s2 closely behind. How do these three tires compare in terms of puncture protection and speed?

kottila

Gp4000sii is the ultimate all round clincher tyre. Does everything well

Thanks for the replies. I've been researching tires today and I think the 4 seasons is the top contender so far, with the gravelking and GP4000s2 closely behind. How do these three tires compare in terms of puncture protection and speed?

The GP4000 is a solid tire, but I did have some QC issues with them. One set were great, but a second set had a lot more punctures going on.

I would say go for the 4 seasons or GK before them. The GP is really more of a racing tire.

For the bike, I like my Topeak Racerocket HP. The mounting bracket works great and is very unobtrusive, and it's also tiny and only 82g so it's very compact in a jersey pocket as well.
It uses a threaded chuck on a rubber hose that makes pumping very wieldy. Even though the air cylinder is pretty tiny and doesn't do tons of air with each stroke, getting road tires back to rideable pressure is fairly quick and easy for a mini-pump.

For home, any track pump with a pressure gauge.

If it's something for a puncture on the side of the road then the Topeak Racerocket is supposed to be quite good. I just use a LifeLine mini pump which was cheap, does the job but takes a lot of pumping to get it to a decent pressure level. If it will be their only pump then would really recommend a track pump with a pressure gauge to keep at home and a cheap mini pump for emergencies.

Thanks for the tips! Went with the Road morph since it was relatively cheap off amazon, and reviewed really well. It from Topeak and since you both mentioned them, it must be a good brand. Thanks again!

Gray Matter

So I just got my first GPS computer (wahoo ELEMNT bolt) and this thing is awesome. It does everything I want and then some. No more having to use my phone and drain my battery.

Addnan

Curious why you say not to buy Gatorskins. They have great user reviews but some people say they can feel slow.
I don't think slow is the biggest issue. They are only a bit slower than the 4 season but the issue is with the ridiculous durability it makes it really hard, so in the wet it's not so good.

Thanks guys. How do the 4seasons compare to (smooth) gravelkings?

I'm mostly going to use them on harsher urban roads and some crushed limestone gravel roads.

edit: also, what do you guys recommend for tubes? are there any particularly puncture-resistant tube options?

T8SC

Go tubeless & buy Schwalbe Pro Ones. You won't look back.

Otherwise, stick to the GP4000s II.

Bought a new bike on friday. 2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 with Ultegra DI2. It is soooo good. I installed my Reynolds wheels and my 4iii power meter.

4EEHD9s_d.jpg

Nice bike.

I don't think slow is the biggest issue. They are only a bit slower than the 4 season but the issue is with the ridiculous durability it makes it really hard, so in the wet it's not so good.

This, plus I don't care for the ride feel. I think they can be a bit too harsh of a ride. Of course I am a wuss and love anything that smoothes a ride. :)

I don't know but French sports store Decathlon are bringing their range of bikes to the USA this year, so hold fire on any potential purchase and see what they serve up price wise, their highly rated 2017 budget Triban 520 road bike has previously been on sale for £399 in the UK so you could get a sweet deal.

Good looking bike too:

btwin-road-bikes-34_0.jpg

The tracking for my knockoff Rapha jersey from Aliexpress has suddenly changed to shipment cancelled after the seller had shipped it, anybody else had this using the site? The seller said I will still recieve it and that I should patiently wait 😒

Karish

GOT HIT BY A CAR TODAY.

Right of passage? I was in Bike lane, had green light, truck roars around corner and i go right into it, hard. I'm fine. Shaken and bruised, nothing more. The driver tried to pay me off with $100. I was so shaken I did not get their info. I think they worked for the city and honestly I'm just not that kinda guy -- if I was OK i wasnt going to ruin his life or job. Had I needed medical help I obviously would have...

GOT HIT BY A CAR TODAY.

Right of passage? I was in Bike lane, had green light, truck roars around corner and i go right into it, hard. I'm fine. Shaken and bruised, nothing more. The driver tried to pay me off with $100. I was so shaken I did not get their info. I think they worked for the city and honestly I'm just not that kinda guy -- if I was OK i wasnt going to ruin his life or job. Had I needed medical help I obviously would have...

Glad you're ok but don't think this way with these incidents. You were in the right of way and they broke the law. You're not going to ruin their life. At most with a none injury it would have been a ticket. Live and learn. More importantly how's the bike?

Karish

Glad you're ok but don't think this way with these incidents. You were in the right of way and they broke the law. You're not going to ruin their life. At most with a none injury it would have been a ticket. Live and learn. More importantly how's the bike?

Bike survived, only light i had clipped to front broke. Yes I was definitely in the right. Honestly I was too much in shock to handle appropriately. Just wanted the guy out of my sight.

Definitely know that feeling. Every close call I've just bailed as soon as I could because my brain and adrenaline are through the roof so being rationale ain't happening.

Mascot

I've said it before but I really don't know how you roadies dice with vehicular danger on a daily basis. It seems every fifth driver is a fucking idiot these days, more intent on playing with their smart phones that paying attention to the roads.

Glad you're OK Karish.

frontieruk

GOT HIT BY A CAR TODAY.

You were lucky, glad you're ok. Sounds like it could of been a lot worse, but I agree with the others, you don't have to ruin someone's life for them to learn a lesson, in my accident the police were involved but I never chased a criminal prosecution, I just sorted it through insurance, that had a real world consequence for the driver as it will of impacted their insurance payments which hopefully made them think twice about gunning their car through gaps in traffic.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, the for the first time I'm cycling for/against significant wind... With it on my back is awesome! I was reaching ~50km/h when I normally peak at ~34km/h on flat... But against it? I was struggling to reach ~20km/h... I guess for this conditions cycling gear and specialized stances were made...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you are okay, Karish.

I had a very close encounter just two days ago when a taxi made an L turn into me when I had the light. Luckily, been an urban cyclist in Mexico City has trained me well and I braked very hard. The taxi driver was so startled that he choose not to complete the turn and went back to the main road.

This even is a reminder that even on an ordered city with very good cycling infrastructure like Stockholm you must always be vigilant.

I've said it before but I really don't know how you roadies dice with vehicular danger on a daily basis. It seems every fifth driver is a fucking idiot these days, more intent on playing with their smart phones that paying attention to the roads.

Glad you're OK Karish.

Honestly, after cycling in Stockholm and its generous cycling paths, I think I prefer the chaos of Mexico City. Since its so chaotic, almost everyone is on their toes.

Honestly, after being cycling in Stockholm and its generous cycling paths, I think I prefer the chaos of Mexico City. Since its so chaotic, almost everyone is on their toes.

This is kind of how I feel too. I find when Im riding around people who are not cyclists I'm more at danger than the chaos of a city.

Addnan

It's no joke man. Setting off on a slight hill from traffic, couldn't clip in left foot properly, slipped on the pedal and smack right in the balls. Felt like it went somewhere. Didn't fall though, so that's something

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I had the tube of my back tire replaced, but the problem is that it has this bizarre thing instead of a valve:

mZcD2Hz.jpg

So, according to the interwebs , these Dunlop valves should be compatible with the presta side of my schrader/presta hand pump. I can indeed inflate my tire... up to a certain pressure which is way lower than what I normally like (thumb test), after that the air will start leaking. Is this a feature of these valves and is a natural low pressure tube? Or my pump is not good enough and I should get a dunlop specific one?

Addnan

So, I had the tube of my back tire replaced, but the problem is that is has this bizarre thing instead of a valve:

mZcD2Hz.jpg

So, according to the interwebs , these Dunlop valves should be compatible with the presta side of my schrader/presta hand pump. I can indeed inflate my tire... up to a certain pressure which is way lower than what I normally like (thumb test), after that the air will start leaking. Is this a feature of these valves and is a natural low pressure tube? Or my pump is not good enough and I should get a dunlop specific one?

Dunlop valves can be a bit short for some pumps, so might need a little adapter to extend the valve, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJmdGA2bW8

The amount of pressure you can get into them shouldn't be any different.

change tubes to presta

HTupolev

How to get "KOM"s.

1. Take shelter in a fast group.
2. Submit ride to Strava before anyone else.

I had someone congratulate me on my KOMs today... Before realizing that one of them was actually his. :D

-SG

I've been having such a hard time finding time to ride this year simply because of our new puppy, but yesterday, I got out for a solid 50km and am over the moon. It was my first normal ride of the year and it's June. The things I do for the doggo.

First MTB race done, 32km half marathon. I didn't even crash this time! Also for the first time ever I overtook other riders.

edit: first race of the year that is.

Top Bottom