• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most disturbing film you've ever seen?

Frozen_Poster.jpg

Cheesy movie, but there are a few scenes that have really stayed with me.

The Vanishing was also fucked up

that movie still haunts me years later

I've never seen the remake but I still remember the original, this movie and the austrian movie "Funny Games" (I believe there was an american remake too) both felt very different to most other movies I've seen. They are very blunt about how they present what is going on, it feels like if this would happen in real life (probably did) then this wouldn't be any different.

"Evil" is portrayed in a mundane and non aggresive way, there seems to be no graspable motivation, nothing that you can point at that would explain these actions... they are carried out like non professional science tests, someone is just experimenting and the bad guys in these movies are your neighbour and you'd never expect him to be a killer, there is no hero to prevent these things when they happen, you are utterly powerless and there is no happy end. Very depressing.

Indelible

The only movie to truly disturb me was The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, I was way to young to be watching that film. The arm snapping scene and the fly transformation still haunt me to this day.

WiseguyMVP

I remember seeing some "films" on O g r i s h years ago. I dont know why the f I watched them. Seeing made up violence will never compare to these, sadly.

Donos

Beats of No Nation on Netflix. Very powerful but disturbing movie. Everyone should watch it at least once.

That pep chanting from Elba was such a powerful scene and gave me goosebumps. Not that disturbing as other things although nlknowing that stuff like this is really happening in some countries makes it more grave.

Nice thread going to put all the movies here on a list.

What was that docu called in which a filmmaker documents the death of a friend and his friend had a child with that terrible mother...

Dear Zachery

Yep that's it

Jotakori

I'd say Martyrs got me pretty badly. Really well done, but I can't stand to watch it again.

There was also some weird af horror movie my roomie made me watch once... Don't remember much about it except it was a major trip and I think someone in bunny pjs or costume or something? That movie definitely disturbed me LOL

ghostjoke

Banned
Eraserhead. Plenty of other films with extreme body horror or disturbing premises but Eraserhead has endured past all of them with its Lynchianisms. The fact that I still can't place my finger on the exact reasons and why they get under my skin puts it at the top.

I'd say Martyrs got me pretty badly. Really well done, but I can't stand to watch it again.

There was also some weird af horror movie my roomie made me watch once... Don't remember much about it except it was a major trip and I think someone in bunny pjs or costume or something? That movie definitely disturbed me LOL

Donnni Darko ?
Sexy Beast ?

(only going by the bunny costume hint)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Eraserhead. Plenty of other films with extreme body horror or disturbing premises but Eraserhead has endured past all of them with its Lynchianisms. The fact that I still can't place my finger on the exact reasons and why they get under my skin puts it at the top.

Gotta love the baby!

LowRoller

Bunnyman?

The opening of Don't be a menace to society. Still got me, randomly brutally killing innocent people always gets me. Who cares when they are plot characters or its an action/horror movie though.

Also saw some super old Chinese movie about the Japanese occupation and their science military branch over there (maybe another poster named it.) It was over the top and propaganda~y but still was pretty messed up. Experimenting on living kids (after putting them to sleep in the movie), kidnapping nearby residents from the villages in China, Korea, and Russia, and what not. The scenes with the animals being real got me. Throwing a cat in a pen with a hundred mice or so, @.@ cat clearly getting bitten was fucked up. Then burning the rats. @.@

Feep

Banned
Came to post this. Holy fuck I could barely get through it.

I saw that one scene from Irreversible a few months back when a thread similar to this was posted; I seriously wanted to punch a fucking hole through my monitor.

Sleepers is another rough one to get through.

adamy

Banned
I think the guy that was killed in the beginning with the fire extinguisher wasn't even the guy who raped bellucci. That was messed up.

Correct. You can, however, spot the guy who raped her standing right next to the dude who got obliterated by the fire extinguisher IIRC. The rapist was standing there, watching them kill the wrong person.

A Serbian Film for sure. A movie hasnt sat like that with me ever. Just when you think things cant get worse... the movie ends. What the fuck!?

Aside from all the other fuckery... seeing someone get murdered with a dick through the eye socket was pretty nuts. And thats like the tamest thing to talk about

I've seen Gummo and Eraserhead both mentioned, and while I agree they are disturbing I think there is also an absolute beauty to both of them. In fact I'd say both Lynch and Korine share that talent of painting surreal, broken pictures with magnificent strokes.

Not many film disturbs me anymore.
Recent example would be Eat (2014) about self-cannibalism. FinGore is where I draw the line.

The only movie to truly disturb me was The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, I was way to young to be watching that film. The arm snapping scene and the fly transformation still haunt me to this day.
Me too. I was young when that movie came out, we didn't have what you call parental supervision on movies.

Its physical effect didn't age that much when i rewatched it last year. Good film.

I've seen Irreversible, Martyrs, Anti-Christ, Requiem for a Dream, Dear Zachary, I Saw the Devil, and some others posted in this thread.

But my vote goes to Human Centipede II. Partly because the movie doesn't really have any redeeming value in terms of story or performance and partly because I saw it in a theater filled with people who seemed to hoot, holler, and otherwise revel in the abject violence and gore. The experience itself was more reprehensible than the film to me.

I don't consider myself a prude, but when a pregnant woman
gives birth to a baby while trying to escape in a car and the baby lands under the pedal and then gets stepped on by the mother
and people laugh at that... I dunno. I could roll with shit like Superjail, but even that crossed the line for me.

peakish

The opening of Don't be a menace to society. Still got me, randomly brutally killing innocent people always gets me. Who cares when they are plot characters or its an action/horror movie though.

Also saw some super old Chinese movie about the Japanese occupation and their science military branch over there (maybe another poster named it.) It was over the top and propaganda~y but still was pretty messed up. Experimenting on living kids (after putting them to sleep in the movie), kidnapping nearby residents from the villages in China, Korea, and Russia, and what not. The scenes with the animals being real got me. Throwing a cat in a pen with a hundred mice or so, @.@ cat clearly getting bitten was fucked up. Then burning the rats. @.@
Was it Men Behind the Sun? My friends and I used to look up movies like this when we were younger and this came up one time, I never watched it though. I'm not sure how much of the movie is true but the science facility was real and fucked up enough for a lifetime (nevermind that the US let the scientists off in exchange of their data).

I just watched an old hour long documentary on YouTube about the Bronx burning in the 70s. That shit hurt. Nightmare living conditions.

South Bronx: The Fire Next Door

xrnzaaas

One of those three, couldn't pick the most disturbing one:

Martyrs
Dead Girl
The Girl Next Door (no, not the one with Elisha ;))

SomTervo

Audition

And funnily enough Mulholland Drive. Just for the Winkie's scene and the body scene.

Way intense.

Edit: oh yeah ^ mysterious skin was heavy going

TwiztidElf

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
Naked (1993)

Two of my personal faves - both made in the same year.
While David Lynch is topical, I'd throw Lost Highway in there also (I see Eraserhead already in the thread).

I own Rubber's Lover on DVD, and I'll be honest I couldn't really tell you the plot of the flick for the life of me. When I think of Rubber's Lover though, I definitely think industrial and grimey. I'm due for a re-watch. Pinocchio 964 by the same director is a muuuuuch better film by a mile imho however.

Anyone mention Begotten yet? It always fits the bill nicely in discussions such as this.

3316582_orig.gif

Now I finally know where fanboi's avatar comes from lol

Euphor!a

Banned
So just out of curiosity I scrubbed through the Martyrs remake they did a couple of years ago and what a complete bullshit remake lol...

Not only is it wildly softer than the original... The "good guys" win...? It is just really silly.

In A Glass Cage is a pretty fucked up movie
A former Nazi doctor-turned-pedophile, paralyzed from the neck down after a suicide attempt, is forced to accept a boy as his nurse under threat of blackmail: the boy secretly witnessed the doctor's torture and murder of another boy, and possesses the man's diary, which details his wartime experiments and his subsequent descent into pedophilia and murder. Before long, the boy displays his ambition to follow in the older man's footsteps.

glow

Banned
There are a few people in here mentioning Men Behind The Sun (the movie about Unit 731, where Japanese scientists did horrifying experiments on Chinese people during WWII). It's definitely a disturbing movie but not a lot of people know that the sickeningly graphic pressure chamber scene where a young boy's body basically imploded and turned itself inside out actually used a real corpse, which makes it all the more fucked up.

Top Bottom