• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most disturbing film you've ever seen?

eXistor

I genuinely don't know. I can't say I've ever been truly disturbed by any film. I don't mean to come across as macho or whatever, but movies just don't have that effect on me.

That said, if films show real-life violence, that usually gets me.

Frozen_Poster.jpg

Cheesy movie, but there are a few scenes that have really stayed with me.

along these same lines, Open Water

Jake.

martyrs is the only thing that has really stayed with me, even though i only ever saw it the once when it was first released.

T.O.P

Banned
There are a few people in here mentioning Men Behind The Sun (the movie about Unit 731, where Japanese scientists did horrifying experiments on Chinese people during WWII). It's definitely a disturbing movie but not a lot of people know that the sickeningly graphic pressure chamber scene where a young boy's body basically imploded and turned itself inside out actually used a real corpse, which makes it all the more fucked up.

Dayum, guess the cat scene had real animals as well?

Quite the fucked up movie

Maedre

Banned
Men behind the sun: how inhuman can a system get.
Irreversibel: that scene in the tunnel...

I can't see both again.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
that Michael Haneke trilogy that is made up of Seventh Continent, Benny's Video and 71 Fragments

me and my ex wanted to kill ourselves afterwards. it was way too much to absorb

Ah, Benny's Video. Amazing movie. Never want to see it again.

Huge fan of Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer. The home invasion, jfc. And then realizing how you're seeing it...

Nopenopenope

onken

We had this exact thread a couple of weeks ago but sure why not.

Nothing comes close to Threads, and if you haven't seen it, I'm almost certain it would be your answer too

Yeah I couldn't finish it, read the ending on Wikipedia and moved on with my life. Incredible movie.

scotcheggz

Probably "tyrannosaur".

Directed by Paddy Consadine. The opening scene shows a guy with anger management problems kick his dog repeatedly to near death and then immediately break down regretting it. The rest of the film sort of carries on from there. At the end of it I was left feeling like it was a great film, glad I watched it, but I don't really have a desire to watch it again.

https://youtu.be/nvyqXFmV-LI

venomenon

Guinea Pig: The Devil's Experiment
I've seen so many horror and splatter movies (by far my favourite genre) but this was probably the most disturbing film even though it hardly contains any explicit gore.

A Dark Song. This movie doesn't romanticize occult rituals like many other horror movies, it treats it very seriously. It's not a beat you over the head horror but more dramatized. Highly recommend it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't seen it since it was new so I don't know if it holds up but the only movie that I ever found unsettling was Once Were Warriors.

Matty77

I thought Hard Candy was pretty good, Page and Wilson in top form, with just a bad situation going worse and no one to root for or morally side with.

Actually there is no movie which really disturbed me enough so that I was thinking “holy shit, that was enough. I turn the TV off.“ A lot of people said Serbian movie would be such kind of movie for me but it was so bad that I didn't think that it was really disturbing. The violence is way to comicsl.

But good war movies with a big budget can creep me out a little bit when the gore feels real. Slashers or horror movies? Nope. Disturbing? None I watched so far.

Edit: So documentation movies count aswell? Well, then yeah, a lot of the movies about world war 2 were really rough and hard to swallow.

Btw did anyone saw Tusk? My wife hated me after I showed it to her...she still dreams of it.

Korean film Hope:

Tells story of how family tries to manage after rape of their 8 year old daughter. First time in my movie history that I really struggled to watch some earlier scenes. Still overall very good film and end message is actually pretty uplifting. You can find the film from Netflix.

bud

martyrs depressed me so much, i remember having to listen to eliza doolittle afterwards to try and cheer me up.

what a film.

fucking hell.

WTf man. What is Threads about?

Man all the movies you guys have recommended sound FUCKED UP

It's a clinical look at the after effects of a nuclear war and its toll on society. Honestly it's pretty cheesy in the beginning but it's something to see later on as time progresses and you see how animalistic and desperate people become.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Frozen_Poster.jpg

Cheesy movie, but there are a few scenes that have really stayed with me.

The premise of that was so dumb that I couldn't take anything that happened seriously.

A Serbian Film was pretty goddamn fucked. I remember Cannibal Houlicaust being pretty fucked as well but I also remembered it being an actual movie so it at least had that going for it.

Necron

Gaspar Noé films in general (i.e. Enter the Void, I Stand Alone and Irreversible).

Some of David Lynch's films as well like Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead.

Top Bottom