• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm officially a cord cutter. What subscriptions should I have?

Ganhyun

Hi everyone,

I am officially a cord-cutter now. So, my question is simple. What services do I need to watch tv?

I already have a Netflix account.

I primarily watch a few CBS shows (Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race), the superhero shows on the CW, and Doctor Who and Star TRek on BBC America.

So, what subscription would work for me?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hi everyone,

I am officially a cord-cutter now. So, my question is simple. What services do I need to watch tv?

I already have a Netflix account.

I primarily watch a few CBS shows (Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race), the superhero shows on the CW, and Doctor Who and Star TRek on BBC America.

So, what subscription would work for me?

Hulu + Netflix

You're fucked watching Dawg games though without an ESPN login.

Are you interested in internet cable ie Sling or PS Vue?

I would say CBS all access, it has all survivor episodes. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and access to my sisters vudu and a friend's plex library of which he downloads a lot of things

CW shows all show up on Netflix right after the season wraps up. CW also has them for free the day after they air on their app...apoear around 0200 ET.

louiedog

Get an antenna.

You can still watch CBS, CW and other broadcast TV live.

If that's working well for you you can add on a tuner and box like a Nexus Player or other PVR solution for recording and time shifting.

Ganhyun

Can't do an antenna as I am in an apartment complex.

Great suggestions so far from everyone. I'll check into HULU and the PS Vue/Sling.

The only sport I watch with any frequency is college football when its on or special events like the playoffs and such. Other than that, not really anymore.

ascii42

Great suggestions so far from everyone. I'll check into HULU and the PS Vue/Sling.

The only sport I watch with any frequency is college football when its on or special events like the playoffs and such. Other than that, not really anymore.

It depends on your distance to the towers and surrounding buildings, but amplified indoor antennas can work pretty well.

louiedog

Are you in an apartment complex and so far from towers that you need a large outdoor mounted antenna? If you're close enough and the geography works out there are lots of indoor models that work great.

nullref

My wife and I use Netflix + Playstation Vue. (Plus Amazon Prime Video, which we don't use a lot.) You don't need any Sony devices to use Vue – I didn't even have a pre-existing Sony account before subscribing. For whatever reason, my wife vastly prefers just being able to throw something on in the background or channel surf, rather than picking something specific to watch. And I like being able to watch some sports. So some kind of live TV service works for us.

We tried Sling first, but the quality of service was really bad – frequent hitches in the stream, or switches to low-res for extended periods of time, slow channel switching. A lot of these things improved a bit over time, but never to the level of Vue. (This was last summer/fall; I don't know how it is now.) The Sling app (Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV stick) was worse, with no traditional guide view. Vue's cloud DVR feature is really handy.

Vue's not perfect; the UI could be better still, and it's not as reliable as Netflix or traditional TV services. But it's mostly been good.

Note that with both Vue and Sling, you can sign in with that account to a number of channel-specific apps (FX, Bravo, Fox Sports Go, etc.) and get easier access to on-demand streaming of their specific channels. It's generally not that different from what's already available right in Vue, though. You might just prefer the user experience, or one version will have no commercials. That kind of thing.

Note that if your ISP has any kind of data cap, a live TV streaming service can eat a lot of bandwidth, depending on your habits (like if leave it on in the background like people often do with traditional TV).

that sucks, i use this indoor antenna in my apartment complex

mohu leaf

and it works wonders but the signal around is pretty good in the area i'm in. i used to be in the middle of nowhere so i was forced to get cable.

TheXbox

Use reddit to stream sports. Get an antenna to watch local games. You should be able to get anything on NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and PBS. Also eliminates the need for Hulu since most of their shows are on regular TV.

Netflix is only worth it if you like their original content. Filmstruck for old, good movies. Amazon is alright.

Hulu + Netflix, and then rotate between other subscriptions. Like, I don't think HBO Now is worth having all the time, but it's worth grabbing a sub for a month or two to binge on your faves, then let it lapse and replace it with Showtime or something that has some shows you'd want to see.

Rinse and repeat as you swap between different services, that's how I like to do it. Circle back when there are new seasons of things.

Haines

Banned
As a Canadian I have Netflix and Amazon prime.

Netflix is great. Amazon certainly has its selection but not quite as good.

I would love HBO stuff. Not sure if I can get that in Canada. Let alone download on my phone to take to work like the 2 prior.

ascii42

that sucks, i use this indoor antenna in my apartment complex

mohu leaf

and it works wonders but the signal around is pretty good in the area i'm in. i used to be in the middle of nowhere so i was forced to get cable.

Yeah, the only problem with these flat antennas is that they generally don't pick up VHF signals very well, you typically need the "rabbit ear" style for those. But that only matters if there are VHF channels in your area you want. Otherwise those are pretty cool.

this_guy

I cancel and restart subscriptions all the time. Will probably restart Netflix for House of Cards but I don't keep it active if there's nothing I want to see. In July I'll restart HBO Now for Game of Thrones, I had SlingTV for the NBA playoffs but let that expire as the conference finals were crap. I also have an HD antenna for local over the air HD channels. I don't see a reason to keep all the services active since you can start and stop services any time.

It's an oddball, but I like Pluto TV. I stream it from iPad to my Chromecast. They have a MST3K channel and a Rifftrax channel.

Otherwise:
Crackle, cause why not, it's free
CW App
CW Seed
Amazon Prime Instant Video works out to a great deal if you can get Prime on a special. Until 2018 it even has some HBO content.

I can see Hulu being worth it to some people but I canceled. I'm not a cord cutter, though, I have DIRECTV and DVR so that made it redundant.

superbeau

Neo Member
The most important thing I've learned is don't be afraid to just cancel some subscriptions and come back to them later. I keep Netflix for a couple months, then go to hbo, then Amazon, PlayStation Vue, I watch what I want then cancel and got to something else. Repeat.
Get an antenna, The Wirecutter and CNET review a bunch

statham

I have Netflix and Hulu
I have Amazon Prime, because wife is a student, so its only $49 year
Showtime/HBO, I complained and upgraded my internet to higher speeds, they threw in both for free, $20 more per month, I get triple speeds and both networks, no end date on the networks as I've had them over 3 years and still no charges.
I sometimes watch shows on crackle too.

then you have the free movie apps on Xbox one, thats some shady stuff, but its on there and I watched Assassins creed, and some other newer movies on it.

louiedog

Yeah, here's the thing about HD Antennas.

Commercials make me want to punch walls.

That's why you buy something for time shifting/recording and skip them.

edit: And if you really want to get into it and build an HTPC there's software that'll detect and strip them out of shows you record.

Amagon

DirectTV Now is my go to streaming service. Was definitely rocky the first few months but using the Apple TV, no complaints about the quality whatsoever.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Get an antenna.

You can still watch CBS, CW and other broadcast TV live.

If that's working well for you you can add on a tuner and box like a Nexus Player or other PVR solution for recording and time shifting.

This only works if you are in a city. Useless where I live as there is no over the air Tv here.

Hulu just launched a live streaming service, has all the major channels. Check it out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
For your CW shows, they keep the last 5 episodes aired on The CW app for free. And if you don't keep up weekly, the entire season will be on Netflix 8 days after the season finale. So having a device that has that app would be good

Sounds like you'd be good with Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. I'd personally toss in Amazon Prime, you can justify the cost cause you'll be using it for other stuff. Then you can bump up your premium cable subs (HBO Now, Starz, Showtime, etc) whenever something good is on.

If you stack up enough subscriptions, you'll find yourself paying more than you did when you had cable.

The trick is to not have more than 1 sub. Pick the one you like the most.
Netflix

Top Bottom