• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

vgamer1

Anybody use USB Loader GX and play kirby return to dreamland? I copied over the disc to my external and though maybe it got corrupted so I placed it on my PC and downloaded Dolphin but it runs fine, it locks up after pushing start on the Wii.

Late reply, works fine for me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Has anyone patched classic controller support into the Wii version of Twilight Princess? It worked great for DKCR.

Lynd7

Anybody use USB Loader GX and play kirby return to dreamland? I copied over the disc to my external and though maybe it got corrupted so I placed it on my PC and downloaded Dolphin but it runs fine, it locks up after pushing start on the Wii.

It plays fine on mine, except it crashes when trying to enter one of the bonus levels or mini games.

Big Nikus

Has anyone patched classic controller support into the Wii version of Twilight Princess? It worked great for DKCR.

I tried many times to patch classic controller support to play DKCR, but it never worked. I followed some instructions but I'm not very good with this stuff and maybe I did something wrong. I've got a PAL version of the game and apparently the patch is for NTSC version. I found a PAL version of the patch but it still didn't work... I think I'm gonna give up and suffer from all the waggle... I particularly can't stand it for this game, but oh well.

BasilZero

Ugh - having some issues with Xenoblade Chronicles :x.

For some reason I cant get past Frontier village to get into Eryth sea n_n. It stays stuck on the loading screen.

I tried many times to patch classic controller support to play DKCR, but it never worked. I followed some instructions but I'm not very good with this stuff and maybe I did something wrong. I've got a PAL version of the game and apparently the patch is for NTSC version. I found a PAL version of the patch but it still didn't work... I think I'm gonna give up and suffer from all the waggle... I particularly can't stand it for this game, but oh well.

Yeah only the US version has a cheat file that enables B for roll.
Just run the game through a USB loader and use a cheat file (.gct or .txt) and enable the
B For Pound Down-B for Blow B+Directional for Roll [Thomas83Lin]
285CBE68 FBFF0400
025CBE6E 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
285CC4F0 FBFF0400
025CC4F6 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
*Wiimote Horizontal*

Sorry for the double post, but i just tested two new updates:

UAE Wii has been updated, it runs faster now, games like Lionheart are perfectly playable as well as hundreds of great Amiga games.

Also, Not64 has been given a thorough update, now games like Turok 2 & 3, Re-Volt, Armorines, etc are also playable on Wii while others run much faster. See here for compatibility

1) Why would you want to update the Wii's firmware? Update the HBC if any apps are giving you issues.

2) HBC is on the Wii's NAND iirc, so simply taking one sd from a HB enabled Wii and putting it into a HB-less one will not suffice.

Does anyone have the PAL classic controller code GCT file for DKCR's? Like above I have been looking.

I found a PAL version, can I just type it into USB loader somehow?

http://rvlution.net/thread/585-classic-controller-hack-for-dkcr-eur/

Thanks.

Make a .txt file and name it to SF8P01.txt
Then paste that text there. Put that in your usbloader's cheat folder (for USBLGX, default is /usbloader/codes). Run the loader and if all is done correctly, when you select ocarina (cheats) you will see the code. Enable it.

Ninja Dom

Hi guys, I am so Late To The Party here. Can anybody help?

My dilemma, I have a default PAL Wii un-modded. I did try once but it never worked. It is on the very latest Wii firmware.

I have a bunch of Japanese and US Gamecube games from my collection that I would love to play again, including F-Zero GX and Twin Snakes, and GC Twilight Princess.

Is there a way to make the PAL Wii Region Free so I can play my old discs and use my old Memory Cards?? An easy tutorial??

BTW, I'm a Mac user not a PC user.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there a way to make the PAL Wii Region Free so I can play my old discs and use my old Memory Cards?? An easy tutorial??

From the OP:

To play GameCube imports, the easiest solution is to use Gecko to launch them, I guess. Since the Wii has slots for GC memory cards you can continue to use them.

Ninja Dom

From the OP:

To play GameCube imports, the easiest solution is to use Gecko to launch them, I guess. Since the Wii has slots for GC memory cards you can continue to use them.

Thanks for the info.

Here's what I did.

1) Used Letterbomb to get the Homebrew Channel on my Wii
2) Installed the Homebrew Browser
3) Installed Gecko to launch the Gamecube game.

Now it works, F-Zero GX Japanese now loads on my PAL Wii. BUT the game is missing the HUD and a lot of the texts from all of the menus are all missing. Anybody know how to fix all this?

Madao

Thanks for the info.

Here's what I did.

1) Used Letterbomb to get the Homebrew Channel on my Wii
2) Installed the Homebrew Browser
3) Installed Gecko to launch the Gamecube game.

Now it works, F-Zero GX Japanese now loads on my PAL Wii. BUT the game is missing the HUD and a lot of the texts from all of the menus are all missing. Anybody know how to fix all this?

there's no fix for that. i have the same problem.

the only way i could get the game to play properly was rip the game and use Nintendont to play it. with that, it does display things correctly and plays fine.

I'm hoping someone can answer a quick question for me, i've been scanning pages and pages of forums and haven't been able to find the answer yet.

I have a rvl-101 wii which dosent have the gamecube controller ports on it. Does the most recent release of Nintendont allow for these system to run gamecube games and be able to play them with a ps4 controller or other bluetooth device?

it should work the same as on Wii U. the only thing is that you can't rip the games with it so you'll need other means to get the games in it.

why not just use the GC version of TP? you can use a code to make it run in widescreen to match the Wii version and it has camera control.

why not just use the GC version of TP? you can use a code to make it run in widescreen to match the Wii version and it has camera control.

Can I do this with Nintendont? I have my GC version ripped to ISO but hate playing 4:3 stretched. Would love the native 16:9 of the Wii version.

Madao

Can I do this with Nintendont? I have my GC version ripped to ISO but hate playing 4:3 stretched. Would love the native 16:9 of the Wii version.

Nintendon't contains a widescreen option that makes the GC version function in widescreen perfectly. it is the definitive version by a long shot now (GC was always the definitive version but widescreen was one of the things it was missing before Nintendont came around)

Jucksalbe

Banned
there's no fix for that. i have the same problem.

the only way i could get the game to play properly was rip the game and use Nintendont to play it. with that, it does display things correctly and plays fine.

The Gamecube has some weird issues with Japanese games. I have a similar problem with the Nintendo Puzzle Collection or whatever it was called. Completely messed up text, but no just on the Wii, it's also like that when I launch it on a PAL Gamecube with Freeloader. Never tried Nintendont, maybe I should.

Lynd7

Make a .txt file and name it to SF8P01.txt
Then paste that text there. Put that in your usbloader's cheat folder (for USBLGX, default is /usbloader/codes). Run the loader and if all is done correctly, when you select ocarina (cheats) you will see the code. Enable it.

Thanks, I got it working.

Lynd7

Sorry for the double post.

Something odd has happened with my Devolution setup. I ripped a new game via clean rip, then moved the iso into the games folder, but when I loaded up Devolution most of my games aren't showing up. There's like 6 files listed when scrolling through on Devolution.

Any ideas? The Wii games all show and play through USB Loader fine. So I don't think it's the drive.

EDIT: Im an idiot, I was using the wrong button to scroll.

zeelman

The other day I copied Baten Kaitos to my Wii's usb drive with USB Loader GX, and today my hard drive is corrupted, and the only game showing up is Baten Kaitos. Its formatted in FAT32, so I plugged it into my computer and it shows this:

e2bd3efe6c.png

Windows' built-in error checking program froze when I scanned it. Is there another program I should try to repair it? Google gave me a ton of options.

Hey guys, I need some advice on updating my Wii.

I'm having a problem with games loaded from usb crashing to menu at random times and I wondered if I should update? I'm hesitant because I don't really know what's installed and what isn't with concerns to cIOS's, it was such a long time ago that I messed about with anything like that. I have bootmii, HBC, and my firmware is 4.0E.

Should I be on the latest firmware? I'm not sure what to install/uninstall/upgrade etc if I've already got homebrew up and running.

edit - figured it out myself. Used ModMii to upgrade to 4.1 and it installed priiloader, a load of cIOSs etc, which all probably helped and now I'm not getting the blackscreen/menu crashes.

Wondered if anyone else is sharing my pain with this - I'm having a huge problem with USB Loader GX - It certainly doesn't work well with my USB HDDs and pendrive. It will simply not speak to my USBs without constantly hanging, bringing up errors or just causing me to have to unplug my Wii U. Something I'm doing wrong somewhere....

As for 'USB' Loader GX, I cannot abide this loader. For something with USB in it's name, it's beyond ironic that I can only get it to load things from an SD card. Definitely going to look into Wiiflow

EDIT - Wiiflow doesn't seem to function properly.. Since then, I've gone back to USB Loader and it seems to be behaving again.. Man. How random. It seems to be a different situation with this every time I reboot.

emb

Hey guys, just hacked my Wii (after all these years), and now wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot.

As far as I can tell I had no problem installing HBC. Seemed to go fine. Loaded that up, ran the wad manager to install Dios Mios. I'm trying to play GCN backups (the only thing I want to do is play hacked Melee). Now, when I launch DM, I get 'app loader size is 0' error message.

The weird part though, I already installed 20XX for a friend of mine on his SD card, everything was fine. So when mine wasn't working, I had him bring his card, and that worked fine. Then I copied the contents of his SD card to mine, and now mine is failing still. I checked the format, both say FAT. Just to be sure, I formatted mine and then copied the files back over. I'm still getting the same error.

Any idea what the problem could be, or things I should try?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I thought that was a Wii U thing?

Any homebrew on Wii U is also Wii homebrew, it's particularly useful there since it is the only way to play GC games on Wii U, and the only way to get digital output for GC games other than using Dolphin.

You can use it to load GC games on Wii just fine though, it's what I use to launch 20XX.

Platy

So I was thinking .... any other homebrew besides Nintendon't support the Pro controller or the Gamecube Adapter when running on a virtual Wii ?

Hans Holo

Banned
I have a question regarding the wii u homebrew.

So i want to install the homebrew channel on my wii u but I only have the gamepad and wii u pro controllers. Do i need actual wii controllers/remotes or something else? Cause i never owned a wii and i don't want to buy controllers just for the homebrew channel.

decaf

I'm looking to transfer my Wii data to my Wii U for the Virtual Console discounts. Provided I back up my NAND am I otherwise safe to connect my Homebrewed-up Wii to the Internet?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm looking to transfer my Wii data to my Wii U for the Virtual Console discounts. Provided I back up my NAND am I otherwise safe to connect my Homebrewed-up Wii to the Internet?
Connecting to the internet is fine in any case.

But if you transfer your data to the Wii U, restore the backup data to the original Wii, and then go to the online shop on the original Wii, it will check your licenses and wipe the games from the Wii again.

Andrefpvs

Guys, I just purchased a used Wii, and I'm a bit at a loss of what to do.

The Wii came:

- At firmware 4.2
- With the homebrew channel installed, and some other apps.

I'm at a loss since I had planned to update the Wii to 4.3 and then enable homebrew on it using LetterBomb, but now I find that it is already homebrew enabled. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Do I keep the Homebrew Channel and update it and delete every other app the old owner installed? Is it even worth updating to 4.3?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Platy

Guys, I just purchased a used Wii, and I'm a bit at a loss of what to do.

The Wii came:

- At firmware 4.2
- With the homebrew channel installed, and some other apps.

I'm at a loss since I had planned to update the Wii to 4.3 and then enable homebrew on it using LetterBomb, but now I find that it is already homebrew enabled. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Do I keep the Homebrew Channel and update it and delete every other app the old owner installed? Is it even worth updating to 4.3?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You might try to use a homebrew app that checks your system to see exactly what was done on it.

Like SysCheck or even Pimp My WIi

Andrefpvs

You might try to use a homebrew app that checks your system to see exactly what was done on it.

Like SysCheck or even Pimp My WIi

Okay, so I updated the console to 4.3, formatted the system memory, used Letterbomb, and ran SysCheck. I got this:

Code:
sysCheck GX v1.0.0 by Erik Spyder

sysCheck GX is running under IOS58 (rev 6176).

Console ID: 115380884.
Region: PAL.
Hollywood v0x11.
Boot2 v4.
System Menu v514 (4.3E).
BC v6.
MIOS v10. 

Found 62 titles.
Found 39 IOS and 7 IOS Stubs on this console.

IOS  4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS  9 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 10 (rev   768): Stub
IOS 11 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 12 (rev   526)
IOS 13 (rev  1032)
IOS 14 (rev  1032)
IOS 15 (rev  1032)
IOS 16 (rev   512): Stub
IOS 17 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 20 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 21 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 22 (rev  1294)
IOS 28 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 30 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 31 (rev  3608)
IOS 33 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 34 (rev  3608)
IOS 35 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 36 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 37 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 38 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 40 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 41 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 43 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 45 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 46 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 48 (rev  4124)
IOS 50 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 51 (rev  4864): Stub
IOS 52 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 53 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 55 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 56 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS 57 (rev  5919)
IOS 58 (rev  6176): USB 2.0
IOS 60 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 61 (rev  5662)
IOS 62 (rev  6430)
IOS 70 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 80 (rev  6944)
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281)

Report generated on 2015-05-15.

Does this look okay? I'm not sure what the default values should be.

Okay, so I updated the console to 4.3, formatted the system memory, used Letterbomb, and ran SysCheck. I got this:

<truncated>

Does this look okay? I'm not sure what the default values should be.

Looks like a darkcorp mess to me. Most stuff will probably work but I wouldn't want to rely on someone else's hackjob. Probably wouldn't take too long to go through and install proper IOSes if you wanted to fix this.

Andrefpvs

Looks like a darkcorp mess to me. Most stuff will probably work but I wouldn't want to rely on someone else's hackjob. Probably wouldn't take too long to go through and install proper IOSes if you wanted to fix this.

Is there a place where I could find info on how to do this? It's all a bit overwhelming right now. Thanks.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have a question regarding the wii u homebrew.

So i want to install the homebrew channel on my wii u but I only have the gamepad and wii u pro controllers. Do i need actual wii controllers/remotes or something else? Cause i never owned a wii and i don't want to buy controllers just for the homebrew channel.

Yes you need a Wii Remote. Even the old type w/o M+ is fine. But honestly there's basically zero reason to softmod vWii without a Wii Remote besides Nintendon't.

Is it possible for me to play my actual retail Mega CD, PC Engine CD, or Neo Geo CD discs on a softmodded Wii? I remember doing this with the original Xbox, but I'd like to do it on Wii for 240p.

Is it possible for me to play my actual retail Mega CD, PC Engine CD, or Neo Geo CD discs on a softmodded Wii? I remember doing this with the original Xbox, but I'd like to do it on Wii for 240p.

I'm not going to just tell you no, but I'm 99% certain the answer is no, and even if it isn't you probably need a relatively early model of Wii.

Well maaaybe you could do that with a separate USB CD drive, I'm assuming you are not asking about this... I don't think anybody tried it though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any good tutorials on how to create a forwarder channel? I want to make one that is Melee themed and boots Nintendont (which then autoboots Melee).

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What does a modded wii sell for? Im looking at getting one for a emulator system but really don't want to mess with doing it myself as I don't want to buy any wii games. Just my classic games with a pro controller.

Yes, I'm being lazy.

iphys

So I used Letterbomb to install Bootmii as boot2 and made a backup of my NAND. Is that sufficient to be able to restore my Wii at some point or do I actually have to install HBC as well, because the instructions seem to be pointing me to continue installing HBC as part of the process, but I don't think that's actually necessary for my purposes?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I used Letterbomb to install Bootmii as boot2 and made a backup of my NAND. Is that sufficient to be able to restore my Wii at some point or do I actually have to install HBC as well, because the instructions seem to be pointing me to continue installing HBC as part of the process, but I don't think that's actually necessary for my purposes?

Depends on the purpose which you didn't say.
If only to backup/restore your nand, no it's not required.

What does a modded wii sell for? Im looking at getting one for a emulator system but really don't want to mess with doing it myself as I don't want to buy any wii games. Just my classic games with a pro controller.

Yes, I'm being lazy.

Same as any used Wii with, dunno, 15€ on top to throw a bone to the guy who'd prep it for you if he's done a goid work and has properly set up all the emulators and retroarch+cores as well as clean and updated IOSes and latest firmware + bootmii/nand backup.
Beware who you buy it from and that it's not fucked up with messes darkcorp warez shit IOSes.
With Pro controller I hope you mean a Wii Remote + Classic Controller Pro 'cause the U's Pro Controller only work with Nintendon't for Gamecube games (and even then you're missing the analog triggers which are kinda the reason Luigi, Wave Race and Sunshine play so well. A Classic Controller or even better a proper GC pad is recommended for Cube games, anything else you can go CC Pro which is better for other platforms/more buttons/etc. you're getting a Wii and don't even want to play Galaxy games? Wow.

No, you need to rip them, you can't use the original optical discs straight into the Wii.
Even in the few cases you can, you'd totally fuck up the lens making it read anything but legit GCN and Wii discs.

Quick (lazy) question.
Last week I ordered a Snes30 after seeing glowing reviews for it and it's now sitting on my desk at work.

I've seen that it has the ability to emulate a wii remote but I've also seen issues whereby it is limited by the amount of buttons on the remote.

So, is it possible to use this pad as a fully functioning pad on homebrew emulators (inc L & R) in wii mode?

Top Bottom