• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Alpha_eX

Are people able to run homebrew on their Wii U? If so, is there a simple guide how to do it?

I previously did the Smash Hack on my Wii many years ago, want to do the same on my Wii U if possible so I can play my import Japanese games.

My European Wii U is on the latest firmware ect.

Platy

Are people able to run homebrew on their Wii U? If so, is there a simple guide how to do it?

I previously did the Smash Hack on my Wii many years ago, want to do the same on my Wii U if possible so I can play my import Japanese games.

My European Wii U is on the latest firmware ect.

The homebrew is for the virtual wii inside the wiiu, so it won't work for import japanese wiiu games.

If you still want to do ....the smash hack works perfect for this

Peagles

Can someone please respond to inquiry i posted above?

Thanks in advance

The ports are 2.0 so can only go at 2.0 speed. I don't believe that USB 3.0 drives are inherently incompatible. For hard drive compatibility, check this wiki: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

FAT32 is generally recommended these days.

You'll need to specify what firmware you're on currently before anyone can say whether upgrading will affect your setup or not. Usually worst case scenario is you have to reinstall the HBC, but it does really depend on how far back you're upgrading from. There are ways to safely upgrade via unofficial methods but I have no personal experience doing this.

If you have a hard drive that previously worked, I'd recommend using it again if it's still working. For me, finding a compatible hard drive was quite difficult.

Smell E. Butz

Neo Member
Some beginner questions...

I'm interested in the idea of a console that can somewhat intuitively give me access to a huge library of Nintendo shit. Is there a consensus on a good 1TB external HD that can reliably play backed up Wii, GC, and Virtual Console games, as well as emulators? At a glance, there seem to be some issues with a lot of them listed in that wiki.

Also, can the aforementioned things be done with an external HD with the Wii U?

Lynd7

^ The drive I got early this year was a Seagate Essential I think, it has been working for Wii and GC backups fine. Everything else in regards to home-brew I run from an SD card.

I also have a question. Does Devolution need a certain cluster size for the hard drive? I thought it did, but does it matter?

How would I set the cluster size on OSX if it did matter? Just in case I need to do it again a few years down the line on a fresh drive.

Thanks.

RkOwnage

I've had my Wii modded for a long time now, and I haven't really updated it, but now all of a sudden it doesn't read discs and won't boot anything. Is it possible to restart the mod from scratch? What's my best course of action to re-mod, or unmod and then re-softmod it?

I'm inexperienced in the technicalities of soft modding, but I have done it before, just a long while ago.

Sorry , my misunderstanding. Well one great NTSC exlusive off the top of my head is MDK2 Wiiware. Incredible IR controls and quite a lot of content. Looks great too (minus the missing shadows from the DC version).

Also MotoHeroz for Wiiware. As for Japanese VC, there are Starblade and Solvalou which play great with IR. Also, a bunch of (Namco mainly) VC arcade titles were released exclusively in Japanese VC like (bolds are personal recommendations, in addition to the ones mentioned above):

Emeraldia
Genpei Tōma Den (Genpei Defeats Demon Story)
StarBlade
Numan Athletics
Yōkai Dōchūki
Cyber Sled
Splatterhouse
Assault
Wonder Momo
Galaga '88
Marvel Land
Burning Force
Rolling Thunder
Phelios
Cosmo Gang the Video
Pac-Mania
Knuckle Heads
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Buster
Märchen Maze
Tecmo Bowl
Bakutotsu Kijūtei: Baraduke II (Bomb Thrust Machine Gun Vessel: Baraduke II)
Dig Dug II
Face Off
Rolling Thunder 2
Grobda
Tank Force
Bosconian
Toy Pop
Rompers
Namco Quester
Valkyrie no Densetsu

For retail games, there is Fatal Frame IV english translation, that Sandlot Zangeki game (partially translated), Ougon no Kizuna, Earth Seeker, Captain Rainbow, Taiko Drums Wii, 1, 2 and 3, NPC: Chibi Robo (partially translated IIRC) etc (I have only played FFIV and Zangeki from the above).

Z..

Sorry , my misunderstanding. Well one great NTSC exlusive off the top of my head is MDK2 Wiiware. Incredible IR controls and quite a lot of content. Looks great too (minus the missing shadows from the DC version).

Also MotoHeroz for Wiiware. As for Japanese VC, there are Starblade and Solvalou which play great with IR. Also, a bunch of (Namco mainly) VC arcade titles were released exclusively in Japanese VC like (bolds are personal recommendations, in addition to the ones mentioned above):

Emeraldia
Genpei Tōma Den (Genpei Defeats Demon Story)
StarBlade
Numan Athletics
Yōkai Dōchūki
Cyber Sled
Splatterhouse
Assault
Wonder Momo
Galaga '88
Marvel Land
Burning Force
Rolling Thunder
Phelios
Cosmo Gang the Video
Pac-Mania
Knuckle Heads
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Buster
Märchen Maze
Tecmo Bowl
Bakutotsu Kijūtei: Baraduke II (Bomb Thrust Machine Gun Vessel: Baraduke II)
Dig Dug II
Face Off
Rolling Thunder 2
Grobda
Tank Force
Bosconian
Toy Pop
Rompers
Namco Quester
Valkyrie no Densetsu

For retail games, there is Fatal Frame IV english translation, that Sandlot Zangeki game (partially translated), Ougon no Kizuna, Earth Seeker, Captain Rainbow, Taiko Drums Wii, 1, 2 and 3, NPC: Chibi Robo (partially translated IIRC) etc (I have only played FFIV and Zangeki from the above).

You're an absolute legend, sir!

I've always been curious about Zangeki, what was your take on it?

You're an absolute legend, sir!

I've always been curious about Zangeki, what was your take on it?

I'm also very interested to hear from anyone who played Zangeki no Reginleiv, since I've been thinking about importing it before the used prices hit over $100. While we're at it, figured I'd quote Takoyaki's and my posts on suggested Japan-exclusive VC and WiiWare games here (apologies for the overlap):

I initially read the news as "Nintendo is shutting down "Wii/DSi Online services" and thought that Wiiware would be gone as well. That led me to a little research into hidden Wiiware games on the Japanese Wii. There's a bunch of games that were only released on the Japanese Wiiware, but most of them are Card-games/Karaoke/Brand-cash-ins.

Two games I previously bought and played were the Sega game "Pole's Big Adventure" and Grezzo's last game "Line Attack Heroes" before they went on doing the port of Ocarina of Time. Both games were a blast to play.

The one game I just bought with my 800points that must have been on the console since 2010 or so was "Discipline: Teikoku no Tanjou". It's a weird little game created by Kazutoshi Iida. He was in charge of "Aquanauts Holiday" and "Tail of the Sun" while working at Artdink and later on, he was one of the creators responsible for "Doshin the Giant". It looks very much like the funky Japanese PS1 games from the 90s:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/08/first_impressions_discipline_wiiware_japan

Pole's Big Adventure is hilarious (and fun)! Sega full on riffing on Super Mario Bros./the NES and generally surprising and messing with the player. The continual Super Mario Land "Oh! Daisy"-style switcheroo on the damsel(s) in distress never ceases to amuse. I've been really curious about Line Attack Heroes, and was really disappointed that neither of the two of those ever wound up coming out in North America.

I felt like making myself angry all over again about all of the Japanese exclusives and North American (and usually also European) Wii owners missed, so here's a rundown of what are by my count the most interesting games that are only available on the Japanese Wii Shop[ping] Channel. There are a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WiiWare_games

The WiiWare games that you listed are probably the most high-profile Japanese exclusives, but these are interesting too:
Downtown Nekketsu Dodgeball Miracle Kidz Yes No No 800
The most recent sequel to Super Dodge Ball for the NES​
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini Prope, Namco Bandai, Xseed Games Yes No No 1000
Cut-down version of former Sonic Team leader Yuji Naka's most recent (released) game, if you don't want to buy the disc retail version​
Phalanx Zoom Inc. Yes No No 500
(SNES/Sharp X68000-era also-ran shmup selling for cheap)​
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ikuzo! Arashi no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Mezase! Hikari no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Susume! Honō no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
I have no idea if this content is or isn't in the Pikachu Mysterious Dungeon disc retail game that came out on Wii, but if you're into Roguelikes, these are probably relevant​
Princess Ai Monogatari (no longer available) Sunsoft Yes No No 500
No longer available, but it was the digital version of a manga about a fantasy princess version of Courtney Love, co-written by Courtney Love. This falls into the "500 point morbid curiosity" category​
Tsūshin Taikyoku: World Chess
[Available in Europe as the disc game Wii Chess] Nintendo Yes No No 1000

A chess game developed by Nintendo​

You didn't mention Virtual Console, but while they're rereleases, some of the original games are hard to find, and most of these are probably better and more interesting purchases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(Japan)

Famicom
The Hyrule Fantasy: Zelda no Densetsu Nintendo December 2, 2006 A
Zelda no Densetsu 2: Link no Bōken (The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure)[a] Nintendo January 23, 2007 A
Hikari Shinwa: Palutena no Kagami (Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror)[a] Nintendo January 23, 2007 A
Metroid[a] Nintendo March 4, 2008 A
Dracula II: Noroi no Fūin (Dracula II: The Seal of the Curse)[a] Konami October 28, 2008 A

Famicom Disk System versions of Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Kid Icarus, Metroid, and Castlevania 2 with higher quality audio, and saving instead of passwords in the latter three​
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition) Konami April 24, 2007 A
Other regions only got the TG-16/PCE version, and this version has some unique, great music tracks​
Esper Dream[a] Konami October 2, 2007 A
Konami action RPG​
Devil World Nintendo January 22, 2008 A
Miyamoto's more varied Pac-Man clone, Koji Kondo's musical debut, and the protagonist Tamagon is the original source/beginning of Yoshi's design (his egg cracking will sound very familiar)​
Joy Mech Fight Nintendo March 11, 2008 A
8-bit fighting game with Rayman-style limbless robots​
Nazo no Murasame Jō (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)[a] Nintendo August 19, 2008 A
This one may be the crown jewel of regional exclusives for the Famicom. Like Zelda 1, but more linear, more action/reflexes-oriented. Japanese-themed Koji Kondo soundtrack.​
Atlantis no Nazo (The Mystery of Atlantis) Sunsoft December 2, 2008 A
Dense and confusing platformer that has you searching for hidden treasure and hidden exits, but fun and challenging once you get the hang of it. Maybe an acquired taste?​
Takeshi no Chōsenjō (Takeshi's Challenge) Taito March 31, 2009 B
Notorious, funny (funnier if you aren't the target) master-level trolling in game form by actor Beat Takeshi. The 25,000 hits to kill the final boss would probably be easier to manage with the Wii's suspend/restore points.​
Akumajō Densetsu (Devil's Castle Legend) Konami April 21, 2009 A
Castlevania III with significantly higher quality audio. The closest the NES/Famicom comes to sounding like an orchestra.​
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zenin Shūgō! (Downtown Special: Its Kunio's Period Piece, Assemble Everyone!) Arc System Works May 12, 2009 A
River City Ransom sequel (prequel?) set in ancient Japan​
Final Fantasy II Square Enix June 16, 2009 A
Final Fantasy III Square Enix July 21, 2009 A

The 8-bit versions of these have still never seen any form of release outside of Japan. III is really good.​
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light) Nintendo October 20, 2009 A
Fire Emblem Gaiden Nintendo November 4, 2009 A

Nintendo's strategy RPGs with permadeath​
Ganbare Goemon 2 Konami January 24, 2012 A
Probably the best 8-bit Goemon, structured similarly to Legend of the Mystical Ninja​

Super Famicom
Akumajō Dracula (Devil's Castle Dracula) Konami December 2, 2006 A
Out elsewhere as Super Castlevania IV, but this is the uncensored version with the dungeon level filled with blood instead of slime, and a much cooler/creepier title screen​
Mario no Super Picross Nintendo December 19, 2006 A
PAL territories got this too. Addictive Picross puzzle game. Lots of bang for the buck.​
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War) Nintendo January 30, 2007 A
Shin Megami Tensei (True Goddess Reincarnation) Atlus February 13, 2007 A
Shin Megami Tensei II (True Goddess Reincarnation II) Atlus September 7, 2010 A
Shin Megami Tensei if... (True Goddess Reincarnation if...) Atlus February 1, 2011 A
Majin Tensei (Demon God Reincarnation) Atlus September 6, 2011 A
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (Demon God Reincarnation II: Spiral Nemesis) Atlus December 13, 2011 A
Kyūyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei I・II Atlus July 3, 2012 A

ALL of the SNES Megaten games are present, including the Majin strategy RPGs, and the "Kyuuyaku" remake of the two Namco 8-bit games.​
Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fūrai no Shiren (Mysterious Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer) Chunsoft July 24, 2007 A
Classic roguelike​
Panel de Pon Nintendo November 27, 2007 A
The Super Famicom/Japanese version of Tetris Attack is available in Japan, so instead of the "way to go!" N64 Pokemon-themed one, this one is extra girly​
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no Dokidoki Daibouken (DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's Heart-Pounding Great Adventure) Hudson Soft/Konami[2] February 26, 2008 A
This one is out worldwide, it's just really good and the original cartridge is expensive now​
Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu (Go Goemon 2: The Odd General Magginesu) Konami May 27, 2008 A
Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijūrokubē no Karakuri Manji Gatame Konami September 15, 2009 A

Japan got 3 of the (really fun) 4 SF Goemon games, instead of just Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon 1)​
Tactics Ogre Square Enix February 10, 2009 C
Bahamut Lagoon Square Enix September 29, 2009 B
Romancing SaGa Square Enix November 24, 2009 C
Romancing SaGa 2 Square Enix March 23, 2010 B
Romancing SaGa 3 Square Enix September 21, 2010 B
Final Fantasy V Square Enix January 18, 2011 A
Rudra no Hihō (Treasure of Rudra) Square Enix June 7, 2011 A

Square​
Clock Tower Sunsoft August 3, 2010 B
Really interesting gameplay experiment for the SF, point-and-click early survival horror​
Kunio-kun no Dodgeball da yo Zenin Shūgō! (It's Kunio's Dodgeball, Assemble Everyone!) Arc System Works February 14, 2012 A
Super Dodge Ball sequel​

Mega Drive
The Hybrid Front Sega May 29, 2007 A
Strategy/military sim (one of the last Mega Drive releases in Japan), with really excellent music​
Bare Knuckle III: Tekken Seiten Sega October 2, 2007 B
The Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 is generally accepted to be a much better game (opinions on the randomly-generated music notwithstanding), more nuance to attacks than SOR/BN2​
Dyna Brothers 2 Special Sega October 23, 2007 A
Former Japanese Sega Channel exclusive (and the only game on the Shop Channel worldwide that only got a Japanese Sega Channel release), this may be the only way to get this version of the game​
Gynoug Nippon Computer Systems May 20, 2008 A
Additional shmup weirdness (albeit less over the top) from the creators of the Cho Aniki series​

PC Engine
Gradius Konami August 7, 2007 A
Salamander Konami September 11, 2007 A

Nearly arcade-perfect versions of Gradius and Life Force. Life Force/Salamander doesn't have instant respawning after death in this version though, just checkpoints.​
Ai Cho Aniki (Love Super Big Brothers)[a] Hudson Soft/Konami[2] December 18, 2007 A
The rest of the world got the first one, but this is the first one where they really went all out on the camp​
Dungeon Explorer II[a] Hudson Soft/Konami[2] February 5, 2008 A
Rest of the world only received the first one on Wii​
KiKi KaiKai (Mysterious Ghost World) Taito July 8, 2008 A
Arcade conversion of the precursor to the Pocky & Rocky series​
Parasol Stars Taito August 19, 2008 A
Sequel to Bubble Bobble (I would argue much closer to the fun of Bubble Bobble than Rainbow Islands was), only Japan got this on Virtual Console​
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: PC Bangai Hen (Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Bonus PC Version)[a] Naxat Soft September 30, 2008 A
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: CD Soccer Hen (Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer CD Version) Naxat Soft November 4, 2008 A

PC Engine versions of Super Dodge Ball and Nintendo World Cup​
Cadash Taito November 11, 2008 A
Rastan Saga 2 Taito January 6, 2009 A

Side-scrolling action RPGs, rest of the world didn't receive these on Wii​
Dai Makaimura (Great Demon World Village) (SuperGrafx title) Capcom February 3, 2009 A
Arguably a better conversion of Ghouls & Ghosts than the MD/Genesis version, but it has limited continues, making it extremely difficult to complete. Considering that almost no one bought a Supergrafx at the time, I'd assume that the original card of this is probably pretty rare.​

Neo-Geo
Waku Waku 7 D4 Enterprise April 27, 2010 A
The weirdest fighting game of the Neo-Geo's expansive and expensive fighting game library.​
Flying Power Disc (delisted on December 24, 2013) D4 Enterprise June 22, 2010 A
Also no longer available, but Flying Power Disc/Windjammers is a fun one. Like an evolved version of Pong meets air hockey, Neo-Geo-style. I hear that Giant Bomb loves it.​

MSX
Konami put a ton of support in on here on the Wii, and only Japan received any of these. Scrolling on their MSX shmups is supposed to be mostly pretty choppy and weaker than other versions.
Metal Gear Konami December 8, 2009 A
Quarth Konami February 2, 2010 A
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake Konami March 30, 2010 B

Virtual Console Arcade
Namco also released a ton of arcade games on the VCA, but only in Japan. A number of these are the only home releases of the arcade versions.
Solvalou Namco Bandai Games March 26, 2009 A
StarBlade Namco Bandai Games April 21, 2009 A

3D games that inspired awe in 1991, now with motion/pointer controls​
Space Invaders Taito April 7, 2009 A
I'd rather be playing Galaga, but this is the actual arcade version instead of a SNES/PCE port.​
Numan Athletics Namco Bandai Games April 28, 2009 A
4-player Namco version of Track & Field: Insane edition​
Splatterhouse Namco Bandai Games May 26, 2009 B
More violent and better quality audio than the TG-16/PCE version​
Rolling Thunder Namco Bandai Games July 21, 2009 B
Rolling Thunder 2 Namco Bandai Games October 27, 2009 A
Phelios Namco Bandai Games July 28, 2009 A

Cosmo Gang the Video Namco Bandai Games August 4, 2009 A
Namco's "Parodius" version of Galaga, fun​
Pac-Mania Namco Bandai Games August 4, 2009 A
Knuckle Heads Namco Bandai Games August 18, 2009 B
Dig Dug Namco Bandai Games October 20, 2009 A
Dig Dug II Namco Bandai Games October 20, 2009 A
Galaga Namco Bandai Games November 24, 2009 A
Toy Pop Namco Bandai Games November 24, 2009 A
Rompers Namco Bandai Games December 1, 2009 A
Moon Cresta Hamster March 9, 2010 A

Nice post I am Christina Aguilera!

I left out console VC cause Wii emus took care of my retro itch (although in some instances official VC releases are better than emus: see DKC3 or some of the N64 releases like Sin & Punishment etc).

Anyways since you and Z.. asked, my opinion on Zangeki is a bit mixed really. I like the concept and the visuals while jerky are somewhat impressive for a Wii game at times, however the game motion controls are underutilised, seeing this was a Motion+game, basic slash directions are registered and how much force you put on your moves matters a bit.
You can play as a warrior with a sword (air slashes do damage to enemies 10ft away) or as a bow wielding chick.

What i like is the unpredictability of the gameplay flow, you can have a horde of giants come out in one corner of the map while a dragon swoops in another area and you have to frantically attack and defend both fronts. Nice "Celtic-like" music too. You get ranked on your performance (time, enemies killed, friendlies lost, etc) and you can upgrade your equipment and your character's attributes. Missions are replayable.

BTW, there has been an update for Wii64 fork called Not64 by Extrems. This one was released at 26 of December and reportedly has an up to 25% speed increase.
http://files.extremscorner.org/wii/apps/mupen64/20141226.zip
I spend a couple of hours testing it and many games are smoother now [California Speed, Starfox64, Mario 64 hacks, GoldenEye X (yes even the recent 5c version!), Rally Challenge 2000, Rayman 2, Turok 1, Waverace, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Ridge Racer 64, Ocarina of Time, Blast Corps etc. etc.] while others are more tolerable (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini,Pilotwings 64, etc).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Anyways since you and Z.. asked, my opinion on Zangeki is a bit mixed really. I like the concept and the visuals while jerky are somewhat impressive for a Wii game at times, however the game motion controls are underutilised, seeing this was a Motion+game, basic slash directions are registered and how much force you put on your moves matters a bit.
You can play as a warrior with a sword (air slashes do damage to enemies 10ft away) or as a bow wielding chick.

What i like is the unpredictability of the gameplay flow, you can have a horde of giants come out in one corner of the map while a dragon swoops in another area and you have to frantically attack and defend both fronts. Nice "Celtic-like" music too. You get ranked on your performance (time, enemies killed, friendlies lost, etc) and you can upgrade your equipment and your character's attributes. Missions are replayable.

I have Zangeki as well, so allow me to give my opinion.

I really liked it. It's rough around the edges, to be sure. The controls can be finicky, the story is useless, some missions/bosses are very hard. The framerate, a Sandlot trademark, is all over the place. Yet I enjoyed it a lot. It's very raw and unique. I don't agree with My words exactly! that the motion controls are underutilised. - btw, the game should absolutely played with the Motion+ and IR sensor, any other control method sucks and is much less fun. I find that they're extremely fun for the most part. Shooting the male character's bows is a pain, and flicking the nunchuck to dash around is annoying and unreliable, but the sword/hammer/magic wand/magic bow combat is bananas.

The game is definitely replayable, although after a while you'll get bored of the requirements to unlock some of the higher-tier weapons. There are a lot of crappy weapons (and good luck wading through them if you don't understand a lick of Japanese, which fortunately wasn't my case), but then there are awesome weapons as well.

In short, the game needed more polish, but what's there is tremendous fun. I wish more Wii games had been like that. To paraphrase Classic Game Room: if you think the game looks cool, buy it.

chunk3rvd

Super late to the party on this but my Wii stopped working 5 or 6 years ago due to every game getting disc read errors (I think smoking around it knackered the lens). Had some spare time over the holidays so thought I would try and get it up and running so I can go back and replay some old games off a USB instead. Trying to install the HBC for the first time so I watched a few tutorials on Youtube (mainly this one).

I updated my Wii to 4.3E and now I'm trying to use the Wilbrand 9.0 method but when it copies files to my SD card all I'm getting is boot.elf - no bootmini.elf. Does this latest version not use bootmini.elf or should I try and get this file from somewhere else and put it on the SD card before I use the letter exploit? Am I doing anything wrong? Is there a better guide I should be using? Thanks!

@chunk3rvd: Letterbomb, Smash stack, Bathax, or any other method?
Is bootmini.elf a wii specific file or can you share one with any other Wilbrand user?

@Kilrogg: I mean underutilised as far as precision goes. Personally, i found Aragorn's Quest or the first Force Unleashed having more precise motion controls that Zangeki, despite the latter supporting motion+.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
@Kilrogg: I mean underutilised as far as precision goes. Personally, i found Aragorn's Quest or the first Force Unleashed having more precise motion controls that Zangeki, despite the latter supporting motion+.

Haven't played Aragorn's Quest, so you might be right. Still, I loved Zangeki :).

Doczu

Hi everyone. I have a problem with Wiiflow (4.2.1) on the Wii U. I have the homebrew channel installed, ios236, cios 56, 57 and 58 also. I plug the hdd in the upper back port and start Wiiflow. And here the problems begin. Wiiflow launches extra slow, but it runs. Next i had to restart it a few times untill it saw the partition and the games on it. I have the games in the right wbfs folder. When it finally found the partition and the games i had there since the Wii days it doesn't launch them. After selecting one the screen goes black, a white bar shows on the screen, it looks like it is loading and then it just stops. Am i going to have to rip my whole collection again just to play or have i done something wrong?

Peagles

Hi everyone. I have a problem with Wiiflow (4.2.1) on the Wii U. I have the homebrew channel installed, ios236, cios 56, 57 and 58 also. I plug the hdd in the upper back port and start Wiiflow. And here the problems begin. Wiiflow launches extra slow, but it runs. Next i had to restart it a few times untill it saw the partition and the games on it. I have the games in the right wbfs folder. When it finally found the partition and the games i had there since the Wii days it doesn't launch them. After selecting one the screen goes black, a white bar shows on the screen, it looks like it is loading and then it just stops. Am i going to have to rip my whole collection again just to play or have i done something wrong?

Have you tested the HDD on your PC to verify its livelihood?

Peagles

I did today. Deleted some other, non gaming backup files, did a quick check of the wbfs folder. Drive launched the foirst time i plugged it to the PC.

No bad sectors? Wouldn't hurt to give it a scan. The behaviour suggests the HDD may be on its way out. That or there's something wrong with the way the Wii is trying to read it.

And just to check, nothing has changed about your Wii and the way it was set up when it was last working fine?

Doczu

No bad sectors? Wouldn't hurt to give it a scan. The behaviour suggests the HDD may be on its way out. That or there's something wrong with the way the Wii is trying to read it.

And just to check, nothing has changed about your Wii and the way it was set up when it was last working fine?

Will try to make a scan in thecmorning, and above that i will try to use it again on my Wii (as stated above i tried to run it on the Wii U in hope i could retire my Wii). If it will run on the Wii and the scan will show nothing i will try and reinstall everything on the Wii U.

Edit: it's a 500 gigs seagate drive without external power needs. I had no problem using it on the Wii, could there be any problems with the drive itself on the Wii U?

Will try to make a scan in thecmorning, and above that i will try to use it again on my Wii (as stated above i tried to run it on the Wii U in hope i could retire my Wii). If it will run on the Wii and the scan will show nothing i will try and reinstall everything on the Wii U.

Edit: it's a 500 gigs seagate drive without external power needs. I had no problem using it on the Wii, could there be any problems with the drive itself on the Wii U?

You may not be able to power it without a Y-USB cable if it has no external power source since the Wii U's USB slots are pretty underpowered. Give it a whirl though to be certain.

Doczu

You may not be able to power it without a Y-USB cable if it has no external power source since the Wii U's USB slots are pretty underpowered. Give it a whirl though to be certain.

Well as i said the drive does run on the Wii U in Wii mode. Wiiflow does recognize it, i see the games (finally) but can't load them. I'm scanning the disk right now on my PC if that doesn't help i will boot it again on my Wii and see if it will run there.

If the problem is with the files alone, then it won't be bad. Just tedious as shit to rip my collection again. Could there be any problem with (c)IOS? Could wiiflow start, but the games not?

Doczu

Might also be worth giving cfg a shot, or USBLoaderGX.

Might as well give it a try tomorrow. Scanned the whole drive, repaired some bad sectors, but still no go.

This is what i see when i try to load anything with wiiflow. Any ideas what could go wrong?

rYWBYXe.jpg

After that the only thing i can do is pull the plug on the console. It's stuck for good on this loading screen.

Is there a guide anywhere to help get my Wii back to "factory" like. It was pretty heavily soft modded a few years ago and I haven't touched it since. It still works fine, I'd just like a fresh start. Cheers for any help.

Peagles

Might as well give it a try tomorrow. Scanned the whole drive, repaired some bad sectors, but still no go.

This is what i see when i try to load anything with wiiflow. Any ideas what could go wrong?

rYWBYXe.jpg

After that the only thing i can do is pull the plug on the console. It's stuck for good on this loading screen.

That sucks :( Def try some other loaders though, when I softmodded my Wii I couldn't get anything to work until I tried USBLoaderGX, even though I followed the guide in the OT.

Is there a guide anywhere to help get my Wii back to "factory" like. It was pretty heavily soft modded a few years ago and I haven't touched it since. It still works fine, I'd just like a fresh start. Cheers for any help.

I don't believe you can erase all traces of soft modding, they're permanent. A system reset will remove the visible traces but the behind the scenes stuff can't be undone as far as I know.

Doczu

That sucks :( Def try some other loaders though, when I softmodded my Wii I couldn't get anything to work until I tried USBLoaderGX, even though I followed the guide in the OT.

Well, USBLoader doesn't even show the list of games. It does recognize the drive, as it shows in the settings menus (plugged in port 0, size etc.). Well, i will go and buy a Y cable today. It's not expensive and i hope it will help.

I've got a pretty easy question I hope. What if you've got a softmodded Wii U with vWii up and running and a homebrew channel installed ... how do you update to the latest version of the homebrew channel safely? The homebrew channel I have installed is 1.1.2 from a while back and it forces 4:3. It also says network not initialized in the upper left. From what I remember, didn't HBC update internally back in the Wii days without having to fiddle with apps on the SD card? Thanks!

I've got a pretty easy question I hope. What if you've got a softmodded Wii U with vWii up and running and a homebrew channel installed ... how do you update to the latest version of the homebrew channel safely? The homebrew channel I have installed is 1.1.2 from a while back and it forces 4:3. It also says network not initialized in the upper left. From what I remember, didn't HBC update internally back in the Wii days without having to fiddle with apps on the SD card? Thanks!
Yes, it has an internal updater, but there is no widescreen fix yet and there may never be, authors don't find it critical. Also, internal updater uses internal network connection, so, well. I recommend using the aspect fixing app.

Yes, it has an internal updater, but there is no widescreen fix yet and there may never be, authors don't find it critical. Also, internal updater uses internal network connection, so, well. I recommend using the aspect fixing app.

Thanks for the fast response. I wonder why it can't get a network connection in mine. The internet connection works fine on the wii u, as well as my USB Loader and other homebrew apps. Oh well. I've seen that aspect app, so I'll give that a shot. Cheers!

jeemer

I saw someone reference the ability to run wii games directly from a usb hard drive on the wii u, once the wii side has been softmodded.

i just have one question - i have already purchased and am using an external usb hard drive with the wii u. can i use the same hard drive for the wii u, and for the wii? i have a feeling this is not possible, but just thought i'd ask.

I have some really dumb questions. I tried to look through the thread, but I couldn't really find an answer.

I want to buy a EU Wii game (Another Code) and play it on my NA Wii U. Is this possible through homebrew, or can I only do the actual homebrew stuff needed to bypass region locks on a Wii (rather than a Wii U)?

I saw someone reference the ability to run wii games directly from a usb hard drive on the wii u, once the wii side has been softmodded.

i just have one question - i have already purchased and am using an external usb hard drive with the wii u. can i use the same hard drive for the wii u, and for the wii? i have a feeling this is not possible, but just thought i'd ask.
I think I read that you can't in the Nintendont thread.

I just got a used wii.

How do I go about checking if it had homebrewed stuff on it? Or can I pretend it doesn't and just follow the normal steps and if it does it won't change anything.

And also with GC games (I soft modded my last wii before this was a thing) nintendon't works on wii? Just rip and load the isos to an SD card and load the app? Its that easy and it works with my GC controller?

Leynos

And also with GC games (I soft modded my last wii before this was a thing) nintendon't works on wii? Just rip and load the isos to an SD card and load the app? Its that easy and it works with my GC controller?

Yes to all questions. I just homebrewed my Wii, and installed Nintendont this week.

ballerusk

Which app would you recommend for playing Gamecube-games (region free) from disc?

I have Gecko OS and Devolution, and have ripped most of my games to a USB HD, however it doesn't seem to like double-disc games...?

co1onel

Since nintendont allows me to play GameCube games with a Bluetooth controller like the Wii u pro controller, is there any hombrew to play n64 games with it too? Seems silly to buy an inferior classic controller just for n64 games. I searched around but couldnt really find anything.

Since nintendont allows me to play GameCube games with a Bluetooth controller like the Wii u pro controller, is there any hombrew to play n64 games with it too? Seems silly to buy an inferior classic controller just for n64 games. I searched around but couldnt really find anything.
Virtual Console ones? No, I don't think so. Maybe the homebrew emulators. Maybe.

It doesn't sound impossible, but it's not an easy feat due to how Wii games are coded. So don't expect that anytime soon.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Which app would you recommend for playing Gamecube-games (region free) from disc?

I have Gecko OS and Devolution, and have ripped most of my games to a USB HD, however it doesn't seem to like double-disc games...?
Lens could be dirty

When xenoblade came out to the US. I couldn't play it. Got a wii lens cleaning kit and that fixed it

ballerusk

A couple of the JP-games I have tried to rip (CleanRip) on my US Wii seems to work fine on my JP GC, so maybe you're right.

The other problem is with double-disc games that don't appear, maybe I've done something wrong with folders, not sure.

Doczu

I still can't run my backups, as wiiflow still doesn't recognize the drive. I tried through an sd card and it works, but i need my drive to work, as i don't want to buy a larger card.

Since the last time i bought a usb cable with an extra charging cord, but shit still doesn't want to see the drive. So it might just be a problem with the fact that my drive is formated to ntfs. I have no way to backup my whole drive to fat32 and then rip the games again (too much files on it, no pc atm). What should i install on the vWii so that it sees a ntfs drive? No need for links (if it is against the rules to post cios), just a quick tutorial or at least some phrase to google. Please help? I just lost the will to continue the fight...

Peagles

I still can't run my backups, as wiiflow still doesn't recognize the drive. I tried through an sd card and it works, but i need my drive to work, as i don't want to buy a larger card.

Since the last time i bought a usb cable with an extra charging cord, but shit still doesn't want to see the drive. So it might just be a problem with the fact that my drive is formated to ntfs. I have no way to backup my whole drive to fat32 and then rip the games again (too much files on it, no pc atm). What should i install on the vWii so that it sees a ntfs drive? No need for links (if it is against the rules to post cios), just a quick tutorial or at least some phrase to google. Please help? I just lost the will to continue the fight...

Could you do a test run with a small FAT32 partition on that drive first just to make sure that is the problem? Then at least you'll know that reformatting to FAT32 will work (sounds like it'll be a lot of work to re-rip if that doesn't end up solving the issue).

wowzors

Anybody use USB Loader GX and play kirby return to dreamland? I copied over the disc to my external and though maybe it got corrupted so I placed it on my PC and downloaded Dolphin but it runs fine, it locks up after pushing start on the Wii.

Kapow

I'm hoping someone can answer a quick question for me, i've been scanning pages and pages of forums and haven't been able to find the answer yet.

I have a rvl-101 wii which dosent have the gamecube controller ports on it. Does the most recent release of Nintendont allow for these system to run gamecube games and be able to play them with a ps4 controller or other bluetooth device?

Top Bottom