• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just to confirm, I can use one drive for my Wii/GC games and another for my Wii U digital purchases right?

That should be possible as long as neither needs one of those Y-cables. Though, if you want to have both turned on at all times, you will constantly get a message in WiiU mode about formatting the drive you want to use in Wii mode.
I haven't tried it, though.

Will uninstalling the Homebrew channel from the Data Channel menu on the original Wii clear all the data completely? I installed via the Letterbomb hack.

I just want to be sure because I have to send in my Wii to get the disc drive repaired, and I don't want any nasty surprises from Nintendo
The worst thing that will happen is they will send you a naughty boy bill of like $200 or some similar high number. If you refuse to pay they send you your system back and you are left with a broken disc drive.

It is only NOE who tend to be assholes about it though.

But as for traces. Newer version don't post anything on the message board. Depends on what the Nintendo diagnostic disc looks for these days.

Brofield

The worst thing that will happen is they will send you a naughty boy bill of like $200 or some similar high number. If you refuse to pay they send you your system back and you are left with a broken disc drive.

It is only NOE who tend to be assholes about it though.

But as for traces. Newer version don't post anything on the message board. Depends on what the Nintendo diagnostic disc looks for these days.

Alright, thank you. I checked back through the message board all the way to December 1, 2013, because I didn't do any hacks before Project M 3.0 came out, and I didn't see any traces. I'm taking out the SD card so I don't incriminate myself to be on the safe side, but I guess I'll set up the repair form and let you all know in due time what the results are, because when it's done I want to go balls to the wall on the homescreen presentation.

1) I was using DIOSMIOS for launching my GC games from my hard drive. This was really cool, and I especially liked that it seemed to integrated with CFG USB Loader to have GC + Wii selection. However it was always a bit flakey, often games would just hang at a black screen or something similar. Is there a better alternative these days that someone could recommend?

Devolution seems to be a lot closer to 100% compatibility than DIOS MIOS is these days. About the only real weaknesses are that it doesn't seem to be compatible with some GC peripherals like the GC-GBA cable the way that DIOS MIOS is, and I've had an isolated issue with a specific game in an arcade collection with more demanding emulation running slowly.

You do need the discs when running the games for the first time, though!

Are their any HomeBrew mods that I can use a Wii U Controller Pro in place of the Classic Controller Pro?

Devolution is my answer to this as well, though this only pertains to playing GameCube games, and the hoops that you have to jump through for the disc verification on a Wii U may be a lot to ask. The Wii U Pro controller works (even on a regular Wii) because Devolution seems to be able to access Bluetooth on a fairly independent basis (even PS3 controllers can be used with it).

Brofield

Hello,

I'd like to take a moment to apologize for how long it has taken to respond to your email. While we do our best to reply as soon as possible, we've been experiencing a very high volume of email contacts which has resulted in a major delay in our normal turnaround times.

Regarding your email, I'm sorry to hear about what's going on with your system and I can understand your concerns about repairs. I know this wasn't what you were hoping for, but because your Wii console has been modified, I need to let you know that we are unable to repair it, regardless of the warranty status. Because we do not repair modified Wii consoles, your only option will be to replace the unit in this situation. I can also confirm that Wii consoles sent to us that have been determined to have either software or hardware modifications will be sent back to their owners unrepaired.

The reason for this is hardware and software modifications involve the use of products that have not been licensed or tested by Nintendo. Because of this, we cannot know the complete impact these modifications have had on the system. It's also important to note that once a system is modified, we have no way of getting it back to its original state, even if you were to remove the modification. For this reason, we have no way of guaranteeing the system will be compatible with future updates and products.

If you have any additional questions or concerns about this, I ask that you please give us a call so that we can address your inquiries better. You can reach our Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700 any time between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Kevin Anderson
Nintendo of America Inc.

Well, at least I got an answer. Already took it in to a local repair shop in Toronto anyhow, and for $60 with no shipping hassles and a six month warranty versus $107 (tax incl.) with 1 year warranty...I'd say that's a good trade off.

Shame I still deleted HBC already and have to reinstall it now, lol

So I posted in the Devolution thread but maybe this one is better.

Question. With this could I use my classic controllers to play Gamecube games on the Wii? Basically play the disc and save to the memory card but control the game also using the classic controller?

Can I also save to SD or the system instead of a memory card?

I've been on a bit of a 2D fighting game kick recently playing Street Fighter and SNK VC games. My arcade sticks are all for Wii, I.e. classic controllers. If I can play with my sticks I'm going to pick up a copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Thanks for any help.

AlexBasch

Quick question, anyone knows if USB enclosures for laptop SATA drives with Y-cables work for Wii? I bought a enclosure that gets picked up easily by the PC, but haven't gotten it to work with both cables connected to the console. :/

Sakujou

Banned
have you properly formatted the hdd in the enclosure?

normally the y-cable should handle the voltage problems...

my 2 hdds are working with only one of the usb-cables in the wii.

Can someone answer 2 questions for me.

If you have homebrew installed do you still need a gamecube memory card to save games or will it save directly to the system.

With homebrew do you still need a gamecube controller to play gc games or can you use alternate controllers?

Yes and yes.

EDIT : if this is for homebrew on Wii U, I have no idea.

AlexBasch

have you properly formatted the hdd in the enclosure?

normally the y-cable should handle the voltage problems...

my 2 hdds are working with only one of the usb-cables in the wii.
Yeah, formatted to FAT32 and then plugged both cables in the back. Switched them and it's like nothing it's installed there.

Peagles

Quick question, anyone knows if USB enclosures for laptop SATA drives with Y-cables work for Wii? I bought a enclosure that gets picked up easily by the PC, but haven't gotten it to work with both cables connected to the console. :/

You might have to try several different HDDs or enclosures before you find something that's compatible with the Wii. There's an older guide online here, otherwise it's just trial and error for the most part.

So I posted in the Devolution thread but maybe this one is better.

Question. With this could I use my classic controllers to play Gamecube games on the Wii? Basically play the disc and save to the memory card but control the game also using the classic controller?

Can I also save to SD or the system instead of a memory card?

I've been on a bit of a 2D fighting game kick recently playing Street Fighter and SNK VC games. My arcade sticks are all for Wii, I.e. classic controllers. If I can play with my sticks I'm going to pick up a copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Thanks for any help.

Yes. If you have the discs, absolutely yes, you can use Devolution to save to a physical memory card, or a virtual GC memory card on your SD card (or I think also a USB drive if you're using that for Devolution?), either one individual virtual card per game, or an overall one. I don't believe there is a way to save GC saves to the Wii's internal memory using Devolution, but you would need a separate SD card or USB drive to run Devolution and your backups anyway. You will indeed be able to use any Wii controller recognized in-game as a Wii Classic Controller as a GameCube controller (including the Tatsunoko and Hori sticks), which should be a significant improvement for Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO or any other GC fighting game.

I don't believe that Devolution is capable of actually just running the GC games off of the discs -- I'm fairly certain that you will have to rip them first, and then verify the rips using the discs the first time that you run them in Devolution.

You will probably also be excited to delve into the Wii version of RetroArch.

There's GiiBii which natively supports SGB & dynamicaly alters borders for games that supported SGB. It is very outdated though.
http://antoniond.drunkencoders.com/giibii.html

Alternatively, you can force an overlay at gambatte core of Retroarch Wii.
It is not dynamic though like a real SGB. However, on a CRT and with resolution & aspect setup correctly, It looks and works great
More info here:
http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1545&sid=85a88dba8acd458eefc7c93ef9119a1e
26340.jpg

In other Wii homebrew news, Nintendont GC loader for Wii & Wii U added support for many audio streaming games, thanks to work & modifications based on tuedj's devolution code.
Games like Eternal Darkness, Waverace Blue Storm, Starfox Adventures & many others are now working great.

drspeedy

There's GiiBii which natively supports SGB & dynamicaly alters borders for games that supported SGB. It is very outdated though.
http://antoniond.drunkencoders.com/giibii.html

Alternatively, you can force an overlay at gambatte core of Retroarch Wii.
It is not dynamic though like a real SGB. However, on a CRT and with resolution & aspect setup correctly, It looks and works great
More info here:
http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1545&sid=85a88dba8acd458eefc7c93ef9119a1e
26340.jpg

That's really cool, thanks! I've not used retroarch yet, how easy is the UI for setting borders?

It is easy imho to get the hang of it. Overlay & video options are ther ones you neeed to experiment with. If you check the link i provided, there are ready configs & overlays also there.

Another heads up for Nintendont btw, as of today it also supports bluetooth, so CC, CC Pro & Wii U Pro controllers can be used to play GC on Wii & Wii U.

I just installed Nintendont on my vWii this morning and attempted to get Mario Kart Double Dash working, but it told me I needed to format a partition to FAT32. After doing so, it gave me the same error message. Not sure what the deal is.

Xanonano

I just installed Nintendont on my vWii this morning and attempted to get Mario Kart Double Dash working, but it told me I needed to format a partition to FAT32. After doing so, it gave me the same error message. Not sure what the deal is.
Nintendont only recognises the first partition on the drive, so if you just created the FAT32 partition in the free space after an NTFS one, it won't work.

The Boat

Hello kind folks. I have a Wii with homebrew at 4.1E, up to date shop channel and I want to transfer my things to my Wii U.
In order to keep my saves and on my Wii do I just need to backup with Bootmii?
Do I need to update the Wii? If so, I suppose I can't update it through regular means.

Platy

In other Wii homebrew news, Nintendont GC loader for Wii & Wii U added support for many audio streaming games, thanks to work & modifications based on tuedj's devolution code.
Games like Eternal Darkness, Waverace Blue Storm, Starfox Adventures & many others are now working great.

What type of IOS do you need for this loader ?

I kinda wanted to keep my vWii as ios virgin as possible (only emulators and small stuff) ... but this might make me change my mind, specialy if the gamecube controller adapter work as I imagine it should work

What is the significance of audio streaming? I'm ignorant on the feature. Was there a hitch in Nintendont that prevented games that supported it from being played, or was it just added for all games?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Trying my hand at this, but hit a stumbling block. Bought one of those portable harddrives to use as a USB loader, but apparently I can only format it in Exfat or NTFS. With the former it acts as if there's no device inserted, with the latter it shows me the amount of free space, but no actual contents. Hope I'm not screwed as I don't have any other USB HDs lying around. Tried it with Configurable USB loader and USB loader GX.

btw, its this thing real? or a homebrew maybe?
aSLApZi.png
VGbxoart is basically fanart for games that do and do not exist (in this case). So not real.

What is the significance of audio streaming? I'm ignorant on the feature. Was there a hitch in Nintendont that prevented games that supported it from being played, or was it just added for all games?
It has been a decade old problem with Gamecube games. Audio streaming only worked when playing off actual discs, games that used this would still work but be missing music.

Trying my hand at this, but hit a stumbling block. Bought one of those portable harddrives to use as a USB loader, but apparently I can only format it in Exfat or NTFS. With the former it acts as if there's no device inserted, with the latter it shows me the amount of free space, but no actual contents. Hope I'm not screwed as I don't have any other USB HDs lying around. Tried it with Configurable USB loader and USB loader GX.
Did you set up the folders like it asked? (the USB loaders tend to look in a certain one) Also it won't have any contents until you add any.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Did you set up the folders like it asked? (the USB loaders tend to look in a certain one) Also it won't have any contents until you add any.

On the drive? I didn't. Didn't see that listed in any of the instructions. What should I name the folder(s)?

Nevermind, got it to work mostly with WiiFlow.

Hi,

I used the GAF-Homebrew wiki to install the Configurable USB Loader (v70r65) and it works great except for Skyward Sword.

When I start the game, it attempts to calibrate the motion plus and fails.
Both my old Wii Remote (from 2006) with a motion plus add-on and my Wii Remote Plus have the same problem.
When I try with my original disc, it works fine, so I can rule out any hardware defects.

If I run my Red Steel 2 through the Loader, it works as well, so I'm guessing it's a Skyward Sword-specific problem.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

Games like Eternal Darkness & such had no music in-game previously with Nintendont. Now, code to stream audio from the ''disc'' has been implemented (based/inspired by Devolution's solution), so the loader can emulate the retail disk. Other example is the radio stations in Big Mutha Truckers, for example, which can now be streamed. There are still however a small handful of games though that still have no in game music, like Burnout 2.

Got it. So backup the drives contents, format it completely, then create the FAT32 partition first?

Make sure to meet the following 4 requirements for best Wii HB compatibility:
FAT 32 partition, primary, active, cluster size 32K. You can use software like EaseUS partition manager to format your HDD.

What type of IOS do you need for this loader ?

I kinda wanted to keep my vWii as ios virgin as possible (only emulators and small stuff) ... but this might make me change my mind, specialy if the gamecube controller adapter work as I imagine it should work

Not needed AFAIK. Nintendont is like Devo on this regard, it is self contained and does not need any modification (other than having a HB enabled Wii capable of detecting a USB)

Can someone answer 2 questions for me.

If you have homebrew installed do you still need a gamecube memory card to save games or will it save directly to the system.

With homebrew do you still need a gamecube controller to play gc games or can you use alternate controllers?

1. On Dios Mios, mostly yes. On Devo & Nintendont, you can have ''virtual MC'' for GC savegames so a real MC is not required.

2. All loaders support original GC pads & Wavebirds. However, for folks with family edition Wiis or Wii U, Devo & Nintendont support bluetooth controllers (CC, CCPro, Wii U Pro) and Nintendont supports HID controllers as well (PS2,PS3,PS4, other usb controllers)

Hi,

I used the GAF-Homebrew wiki to install the Configurable USB Loader (v70r65) and it works great except for Skyward Sword.

When I start the game, it attempts to calibrate the motion plus and fails.
Both my old Wii Remote (from 2006) with a motion plus add-on and my Wii Remote Plus have the same problem.
When I try with my original disc, it works fine, so I can rule out any hardware defects.

If I run my Red Steel 2 through the Loader, it works as well, so I'm guessing it's a Skyward Sword-specific problem.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

Sounds like an IOS issue? Try using a different slot for SW, like 250.
Btw, Skyward sword needs to save on real nand in order to work properly, so do not use emunand for this one.

ballerusk

I want to rip my GC-games, put them on a USB-drive and play them on my Wii.

I have homebrew and CFG installed and everything seems to be fine. Tried to install DIOS MIOS ( http://gwht.wikidot.com/dios-mios ) since I'm a noob, but when I get to the "set DML version to DM" I don't have this option in my CFG...?? I have tried downloading cfg70MODr65 and installing it, but still no "DML"-option. I only have

Device
Partition
Wiird
Gamer Card
Admin Lock
Force Devolution

I have a US Wii firmware 4.3. I used Letterbomb to install the Homebrew Channel.
What have I done wrong?

I want to rip my GC-games, put them on a USB-drive and play them on my Wii.

I have homebrew and CFG installed and everything seems to be fine. Tried to install DIOS MIOS ( http://gwht.wikidot.com/dios-mios ), but when I get to the "set DML version to DM" I don't have this option in my CFG...?? I have tried downloading cfg70MODr65 and installing it, but still no "DML"-option. I only have

Device
Partition
Wiird
Gamer Card
Admin Lock
Force Devolution

I have a US Wii firmware 4.3. I used Letterbomb to install the Homebrew Channel.
What have I done wrong?

DML is for loading from an SD card.
Dios Mios is what you would need, not DM Lite

However, i would seriously recommend you skip DM and use either Nintendont or Devolution as they do not require any MIOS installing like DM does, so you can use your disc slot should you ever feel the need. Compatibility is really high (100% on Devo's case):
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Devolution_Compatibility_List
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List

Finally, imho Wiiflow or USB Loader GX (i personally use USBLGX) are more up to date than CFG loader.

ballerusk

Thanks, but I never downloaded Dios Mios Lite, just DM (followed the instructions in the link) so I don't understand why the option isn't there to set it to DM... but then again, I'm new to this.

I will check out your recommendations, thanks :)

Sounds like an IOS issue? Try using a different slot for SW, like 250.
Btw, Skyward sword needs to save on real nand in order to work properly, so do not use emunand for this one.

I tried installing d2x into slots 249 & 250 and changing the Skyward Sword load options to load from slot 250 (emu nand was already off), but the problem still persists.

Any other suggestions?

I use USBLGX rev 1231, and run Skyward Sword via IOS 250.
According to my syscheck, in slot 250 i have
IOS250[57] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
. Hope that helps.
Other settings i have for LoZ: SW are video:default, Nand emu=OFF. I use my PAL version of the game, ripped on my PAL Wii (4.3)

TunaLover

I tried installing d2x into slots 249 & 250 and changing the Skyward Sword load options to load from slot 250 (emu nand was already off), but the problem still persists.

Any other suggestions?

The slots in which you install a custom IOS really doesn't matter, of course you WON'T use any slot below 200, becase they are SYSTEM IOS, so we use free slots like 249, 202, 250, 248, etc... What does really important is the base used in the instalation, could be base 56 or 57. Usually we use base 56 on slot 249, and base 57 on slot 250. Try with both bases.

So, does anyone know how to go about putting a save file for a game on my Wii, im trying to replace my Fortune Street save with one I found online.

The website where I got it from says that It has copy protection and that something needs to be done to be able to use the save.

My Wii is home-brewed but I did it years ago and don't remember much about how I got it done, thanks for any help

I use USBLGX rev 1231, and run Skyward Sword via IOS 250.
According to my syscheck, in slot 250 i have
. Hope that helps.
Other settings i have for LoZ: SW are video:default, Nand emu=OFF. I use my PAL version of the game, ripped on my PAL Wii (4.3)

Thanks TunaLover and My words exactly!
I noticed that I only had d2x-v6, so I downloaded the latest version and installed it, but got the same error. Then, I deleted my iso and ripped it again, and voila, now it works for whatever reason. Maybe my first rip became corrupt somehow?

Anyway, now I noticed something else: If I put in my Skyward Sword disc, the "system update required"-message in the disc channel appears even though I have the latest version (4.3E). What would be the easiest way to make this message go away? Is it safe to just redo the official system update?

So, does anyone know how to go about putting a save file for a game on my Wii, im trying to replace my Fortune Street save with one I found online.

The website where I got it from says that It has copy protection and that something needs to be done to be able to use the save.

My Wii is home-brewed but I did it years ago and don't remember much about how I got it done, thanks for any help

Either use Savegame manager GX or do the following: put the save named data.bin in your Wii SD in /private/wii/title/XXXX where XXXX is the game's ID. According to a quick search i did, your ID should be ST7E01 so name the last folder ST7E. Now put the SD in your Wii slot, go to settings->Data management->saves-> SD and copy the savegame from SD to Wii NAND. If it doesn't let you copy it due to protection you can install priiloader and force disable save copy protection.

Thanks TunaLover and My words exactly!
I noticed that I only had d2x-v6, so I downloaded the latest version and installed it, but got the same error. Then, I deleted my iso and ripped it again, and voila, now it works for whatever reason. Maybe my first rip became corrupt somehow?

Anyway, now I noticed something else: If I put in my Skyward Sword disc, the "system update required"-message in the disc channel appears even though I have the latest version (4.3E). What would be the easiest way to make this message go away? Is it safe to just redo the official system update?

Good to know you got it working.
Now about the ''update'' prompt, i can think of 2 solutions:
1. Use Priiloader and turn off the disc updates. This will now work for any and all games.
2. Use a Wii iso scrubber tool and ''take out'' the update portion from the iso.
I have no experience in the latter unfortunately, i have only gone the priiloader way.

2.[/B] All loaders support original GC pads & Wavebirds. However, for folks with family edition Wiis or Wii U, Devo & Nintendont support bluetooth controllers (CC, CCPro, Wii U Pro) and Nintendont supports HID controllers as well (PS2,PS3,PS4, other usb controllers)

Neat! Last time I heard they were working on supporting CC Pro and Wii U Pro. Which one is the better of the two to use?

Whichever has the best ergonomics for you :)
Seriously, i cannot offer my opinion cause 1) it is subjective and 2) i only have played with CC and CCPro. I have not played with Wii U Pro controller yet, so IDK.

What i CAN tell you though, is that for the really small segment of the GC library that used the analogue shoulder buttons (L & R), only way to go is the CC (the first model, shaped like a SNES pad).
It is the only one that has analog shoulder buttons. CCPro and Wii U Pro controllers have digital shoulder buttons. To simulate a mid press for them, you have to hold ZL & the button you want to press (L or R). Otherwise, L or R by themselves register as a fully pressed GC shoulder button.

Platy

Tryed Nintendon't and it is beautifull !

....but went to try Retroarch because of the thread and .... it didn't worked.

Does it need the ios/cios thing ?

I was sure that it don't need like most emulators ...

ballerusk

I recently started ripping my Japanese Gamecube-games (about 275 games) with CleanRip. Every disc takes about 10 minutes to rip... I'll see you next year :p

Thanks to "My words exactly" for tips on Devolution and USB Loader GX. Now I just need to download the browser and ...browse a little.

Either use Savegame manager GX or do the following: put the save named data.bin in your Wii SD in /private/wii/title/XXXX where XXXX is the game's ID. According to a quick search i did, your ID should be ST7E01 so name the last folder ST7E. Now put the SD in your Wii slot, go to settings->Data management->saves-> SD and copy the savegame from SD to Wii NAND. If it doesn't let you copy it due to protection you can install priiloader and force disable save copy protection.

Good to know you got it working.
Now about the ''update'' prompt, i can think of 2 solutions:
1. Use Priiloader and turn off the disc updates. This will now work for any and all games.
2. Use a Wii iso scrubber tool and ''take out'' the update portion from the iso.
I have no experience in the latter unfortunately, i have only gone the priiloader way.

Thank you so much, cant wait to finally be able to play all the Fortune Street boards

whitehawk

Banned
I'm having trouble getting Devlolution to run. I keep getting errors related to ahbprot access.

I have IOS61, do I need something else?

bumpkin

I've actually thought about screwing around with this as of late. I installed the HomeBrew channel a while back and still have it on my Wii, just haven't used it for anything. Been thinking it might be fun to try and develop something.

To those who have done it, how are you managing memory? Are you just allocating on the heap/stack and calling it a day? Or did you write or find a pre-written memory management class to use as a go-between?

Top Bottom