• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Did anyone ever figure out a way to enable the Classic Controller in Metal Slug Anthology? I've managed to get all my GC games working with the CC pro thanks to Devolution, it'd be nice to do the same with this one!

I'd love this SO MUCH :(
You'd need an Ocarina code like they did for DKC:R but nobody ever did
I've searched everywhere...

coopolon

So I installed homebrew on my wii a long time ago (using mailbomb.) I'm pretty sure I installed a few IOS, bootloaders, etc. I know I have the one that copies discs because I ripped all my wii games.

Now I want to get back into it but am completely lost as to how to even begin. Any suggestions?

Big Chungus

How can I remove Dios Mios from my soft modded wii?

Don't really like loading gamecube games from my hard drive...rather just use the discs.

Someone mentioned Mod Mii but i'm not sure which options to choose.

How can I remove Dios Mios from my soft modded wii?

Don't really like loading gamecube games from my hard drive...rather just use the discs.

Someone mentioned Mod Mii but i'm not sure which options to choose.

Install the official mios wad (rvl-10.wad IIRC) with wad manager.

@ coopolon: gbatemp has many guides

Devolution & Nintendont.
Devo has built in anti piracy, supports DS3, Classic controller Pro has almost 100% compatibility.
Nintendont supports USB HID controllers, has about 60-70% compatibility.

thanks but was looking for something that actually play retail discs don't want to backup all my games.
Remember Gamecube discs are smaller. If the Wii U drive isn't equipped to handle 8cm discs, there's no possible way.

:(

jonno394

Hey guys, thinking about going the wii route to start a gamecube collection, and obv I want HBC and GeckoOS so that I can play titles from anywhere.

Installing HBC the first time seemed simple enough (I sold this wii) but just wondering if Letter Bomb still works seeing as the wiiconnect stuff has been stopped?

edit - Been reading conflicting reportrs, can someone confirm that I can use Gecko OS to play NTSC gamecube games on my PAL Wii?

my wii has been on homebrew for a long long time. can't remember which firmware it is on. would i gain anything from updating to the newest firmware and how do i actually go through that process. will my wii still be homebrewed after the update or will i need to run another installer?

the reason i ask is i'm unable to move official nintendo channels to my sd card that is setup for homebrew purposes. i'm thinking my wii might not support the card in an official capacitance. is there a trick to get a sd card setup to be used for both and is that even possible?

Spike

I am having some problems with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Everytime I go into the coin launcher, after a few seconds, it freezes and emits a long continuous beep.

Any ideas on what to do?

elektrixx

Banned
I busted out the Wii again because I need to rip all my games but now there's some problems.

4.3 E
Post Wii U data transfer (kept NAND pre-transfer just in case)

The Homebrew Channel is upside down again. I'm running 1.1.0 and it won't update.

I ran Letterbomb but when it jumps into HackMii it says there isn't a vulnerable IOS.

I'm pretty sure my IOS collection is a dirty patched mess and I've had it exploited since the earliest point (and I have a hard Cyclowiz mod from before that) without "cleaning" it.

Is there a way I can clean all my software and run LetterBomb?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm incredibly curious if Devolution will be able to support that Wii U Gamecube controller adapter.

I don't like the idea of playing with another pad... so for now, I use Wii to play Cube games.

zruben

Banned
sorry for bumping this thread, I googled about it for a while, but I just can't find a decent answer. And I decided to ask here.

I recently bought a cheap Wii Arcade Stick from Amazon, and I'm trying to use it on several homebrew emulators, but in most of them, the stick gets "stuck" on the "down position". Is there a way to fix this?

The Arcade stick itselfs works great on retail games and VC games. It's just the homebrew emulators that are causing problem :(

Audioboxer

Finally have my Wii up and running after being off for like 2 years.

Wii software 4.1E. Homebrew Channel 1.10 I think (going off memory from GFs).

Can I update the Wii software officially or do I need to do a "hacked update"? Homebrew channel is already installed so IIRC official updates won't wipe it?

Hey guys, thinking about going the wii route to start a gamecube collection, and obv I want HBC and GeckoOS so that I can play titles from anywhere.

Installing HBC the first time seemed simple enough (I sold this wii) but just wondering if Letter Bomb still works seeing as the wiiconnect stuff has been stopped?

edit - Been reading conflicting reportrs, can someone confirm that I can use Gecko OS to play NTSC gamecube games on my PAL Wii?

Yup! Been using Gecko to play my NTSC imported Brawl for years.

Audioboxer

Finally have my Wii up and running after being off for like 2 years.

Wii software 4.1E. Homebrew Channel 1.10 I think (going off memory from GFs).

Can I update the Wii software officially or do I need to do a "hacked update"? Homebrew channel is already installed so IIRC official updates won't wipe it?

Struggling to get upgraded to 4.2 or 4.3.

I think priiloader might be blocking Nintendo online updates, but when I go into the settings it says disc updates are enabled (there is no online option? - do I need a hacks.ini file or something?).

I have no idea what else I have done to the Wii, can't remember. All I can see is the homebrew channel is there, and I found out eventually priiloader 0.4 is installed. I tried to update it to 0.7 but it seemed to fail.

Tried to upgrade through Dop-Mii to 4.3 as well and I got an IOS installation error.

edit: Followed this guide and got up and running on 4.2 :) I read to avoid 4.3 for homebrew - http://gbatemp.net/threads/modify-any-wii-4-3-below.171901/ All I want to do is play Xenoblade Chronicles but since my Wii was 4.1 and hadn't been touched in years I wanted to get everything up to date.

Neo Child

Banned
Am thinking of getting this USB Loader thing going since my Smash Bros. disc is starting to get scratched to fuck from my ye-olde Wii.

I am looking at getting one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/543102-toshiba-transmemory-32gb-white-usb-2-0-flash-drive-thnu32hay-bl5

http://www.ebuyer.com/399076-lexar-32gb-jumpdrive-s70-usb-flash-drive-ljds70-32gabeu

http://www.ebuyer.com/399096-lexar-32gb-jumpdrive-twist-turn-usb-flash-drive-ljdtt32gabeu

Would any of these be compatible? I had a look at the USB Device compatibility list on the Wiki and it says they've been some issues with the Lexar Jump Drives/Twist Turn drives... so would the Toshiba one be better for me.

Also is it easy to rip the Smash Bros. disc to USB stick since I think it's dual-DVD right?

£7 is about my price range really, so I can't be getting any huge external Hard Drive. Also I don't have enough games to fill up a 500GB Hard Drive.

Holden

hey,

im trying to region-free my metroid prime on my EU wii with a NSTC metroid prime

i'm using Gecko ( i tryed usbloader which does the same) and it crashes whenever i do a soft reset (start+b+x)

does anybody have an idea why and how to remove that bug

i tryed on 2 different discs so i know its related to the wii and not the disc

would be really nice if somebody knew :[

Skyward Sword and Xenoblade made me get back into my Wii... forgot what a great library it had!

It's been a while since I messed around with the homebrew stuff, so my Wii is a few years out of date. I had some questions I was hoping someone could help out with:

1) I was using DIOSMIOS for launching my GC games from my hard drive. This was really cool, and I especially liked that it seemed to integrated with CFG USB Loader to have GC + Wii selection. However it was always a bit flakey, often games would just hang at a black screen or something similar. Is there a better alternative these days that someone could recommend?

2) In a similar vein; is there a USB loader that could put together everything? So I could see SNES, NES, GBA, Wii, GC all in the same library and launch any game, and it would load the appropriate emulator (with cover art, etc)?

evanmisha

Did audio streaming ever get fixed for GC game loading? I'm hoping to pick up Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, but it's an import with audio streaming, so I think I might be outta luck. I'd be fine using the disc if there was some way to override the GC region lock that didn't break audio streaming.

Brofield

So, after enjoying the wonders of Project M for all of three weeks, it seems my Wii's disc drive finally bit the dust after 7 years.

Seeing as the warranty has long since expired, can I still send my Wii in to Nintendo to fix it if I have the Bannerbomb hack installed, knowing they will uninstall it? Or should I go through the hassle of removing it myself first so I don't get any unwanted surprises?

Platy

Anyone have a tutorial focused on WiiU ?

I know how to do on the wii with my eyes closed, but I am afraid that something must be diferent =x

Platy

I was thinking of that ... but since i will retire my launch year Wii ... I kinda wanted the full package. Rip gamecube games, rip my wii games for an hd .... everything

And it involves LOTS of ios stuff that .... I just want to see a place to be SURE that everything is exactly like on wiiu =x

I once saw a friend using "pimp my wii" and it asked if it was a wiiu becuase of one ios ... and then I got all paranoic about that .... but the wii must go to the closet =P

schwupp

its not the same on vwii - make sure to read the proper tutorials.

anyone tried nintendont on vwii? since i have a ps4 now, i got a compatible controller :D

Did audio streaming ever get fixed for GC game loading? I'm hoping to pick up Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, but it's an import with audio streaming, so I think I might be outta luck. I'd be fine using the disc if there was some way to override the GC region lock that didn't break audio streaming.
Was the problem disc read error as soon as it tried to stream audio?

I used it with Gecko region free on a Wii. To get around the problem of it complaining about the disc (disc read error?) as soon as you pass the title screen; instead eject the disc at the title screen. It will ask you to reinsert the disc as soon as the demo tries to start.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever tested if music was playing...(I can't remember off the top of my head)

Alric

Can someone answer 2 questions for me.

If you have homebrew installed do you still need a gamecube memory card to save games or will it save directly to the system.

With homebrew do you still need a gamecube controller to play gc games or can you use alternate controllers?

Datschge

And when I attempt to install a game on the USB Loader GX, my discs randomly freeze at random points. I am on 4.3U. All of my Wii games work, but when installing them to my USB they freeze. Anyone experience this before? : (

Sounds like your USB disk is either corrupted or corrupting. If you use FAT or NTFS do a disk check on it under Windows. If you still have issues after doing so the disk controller of your USB is not fully compatible with the cIOS you use to access it, try out other cIOSes.

Can someone answer 2 questions for me.

If you have homebrew installed do you still need a gamecube memory card to save games or will it save directly to the system.

To my knowledge, yes if playing normally from the discs, no if you rip your games by SD or USB and use DIOS MIOS or Devolution (almost definitely Nintendon't as well, but I've never used it) as a loader. On DIOS MIOS, the feature to save GC saves to SD or USB is called No More Memory or NMM and must be turned on. Devolution's preferences just explicitly ask if you want to emulate the memory card or not, and lets you choose to have a shared virtual card or per-game virtual cards. This seems to work perfectly in Devolution, but DIOS MIOS has occasional compatibility issues with games like Smash Bros. Melee so you would need a physical GC card in DIOS MIOS for that one or the game locks up.

With homebrew do you still need a gamecube controller to play gc games or can you use alternate controllers?

You can use alternate controllers either if you have the physical GC discs for verification purposes and you're using Devolution (in which case, the Wii can connect via Bluetooth to use a Wii Classic Controller [Pro], a DualShock 3, or a Wii U Pro Controller as a GC controller), or if you're using Nintendon't (which can use USB controllers as GC controllers) and can live with its smaller compatibility list. Using a disc or DIOS MIOS, you're limited to the GC controller ports (if present).

Also keep in mind that if you have a Wii with no GC ports or memory slots, you won't be able to rip or verify the GC discs for Devolution, so you'd need a buddy with a hacked Wii with GC compatibility, and you'd need to sync one of your own Wii Remotes to their Wii and use it to perform the Devolution disc verification process there, which will save to the active remote, and allow you to go back home and THEN run the ISO in Devolution with the same remote and Devolution will copy the file off of the remote.

(Yes, often forgotten, Wii Remotes have a tiny bit of onboard file storage, used officially for bringing your Miis to friends' houses)

SerTapTap

Sounds like your USB disk is either corrupted or corrupting. If you use FAT or NTFS do a disk check on it under Windows. If you still have issues after doing so the disk controller of your USB is not fully compatible with the cIOS you use to access it, try out other cIOSes.

Hrm the USB drive I used to copy over my GB/wii disks to ISO actually died too, my first ever. I forget which tool I used, are some of these really bad for the USB stick? Not a huge deal, but not sure it sounds like coincidence.

Datschge

Hrm the USB drive I used to copy over my GB/wii disks to ISO actually died too, my first ever. I forget which tool I used, are some of these really bad for the USB stick? Not a huge deal, but not sure it sounds like coincidence.
Don't think so. If a USB drive dies on you it's a hardware issue that at best maybe could have been mitigated for a little longer depending on the usage. On the other hand compatibility between different cIOS versions and implementations and USB disk controllers is a tricky software issue (e.g. while d2x is recommended my disk enclosure only ever worked with Hermes). In my case I use an USB drive nearly as old as my launch Wii running fine until sometimes it randomly hangs within a game. Those freezes so far always had been due to corruptions in the FAT partition (likely due to some homebrew app not cleanly unmounting it), doing a disk check resolved it again.

Alric

To my knowledge, yes if playing normally from the discs, no if you rip your games by SD or USB and use DIOS MIOS or Devolution (almost definitely Nintendon't as well, but I've never used it) as a loader. On DIOS MIOS, the feature to save GC saves to SD or USB is called No More Memory or NMM and must be turned on. Devolution's preferences just explicitly ask if you want to emulate the memory card or not, and lets you choose to have a shared virtual card or per-game virtual cards. This seems to work perfectly in Devolution, but DIOS MIOS has occasional compatibility issues with games like Smash Bros. Melee so you would need a physical GC card in DIOS MIOS for that one or the game locks up.

You can use alternate controllers either if you have the physical GC discs for verification purposes and you're using Devolution (in which case, the Wii can connect via Bluetooth to use a Wii Classic Controller [Pro], a DualShock 3, or a Wii U Pro Controller as a GC controller), or if you're using Nintendon't (which can use USB controllers as GC controllers) and can live with its smaller compatibility list. Using a disc or DIOS MIOS, you're limited to the GC controller ports (if present).

Also keep in mind that if you have a Wii with no GC ports or memory slots, you won't be able to rip or verify the GC discs for Devolution, so you'd need a buddy with a hacked Wii with GC compatibility, and you'd need to sync one of your own Wii Remotes to their Wii and use it to perform the Devolution disc verification process there, which will save to the active remote, and allow you to go back home and THEN run the ISO in Devolution with the same remote and Devolution will copy the file off of the remote.

(Yes, often forgotten, Wii Remotes have a tiny bit of onboard file storage, used officially for bringing your Miis to friends' houses)

Wow, thanks so much. Now to figure out how to set everything up, haha.

Brofield

Will uninstalling the Homebrew channel from the Data Channel menu on the original Wii clear all the data completely? I installed via the Letterbomb hack.

I just want to be sure because I have to send in my Wii to get the disc drive repaired, and I don't want any nasty surprises from Nintendo

Peagles

Will uninstalling the Homebrew channel from the Data Channel menu on the original Wii clear all the data completely? I installed via the Letterbomb hack.

I just want to be sure because I have to send in my Wii to get the disc drive repaired, and I don't want any nasty surprises from Nintendo

As far as I know there's no way to remove all traces of homebrew, Nintendo will know.

Whether they will call you out on it or not though is the question.

Brofield

As far as I know there's no way to remove all traces of homebrew, Nintendo will know.

Whether they will call you out on it or not though is the question.

Well, I sent an email their way to doublecheck their stance from a throwaway account in case they connect it with my repair account, hopefully the response is somewhat favourable.

Top Bottom