• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at IO Interactive

I regret thinking last year that Square Enix is treating their western stuff well. Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider all seemed to be going up and up. Sleeping Dogs should have been a sign.

Now the studios are getting sold off or tossed into the Marvel sweatshop. Ugh.

As I noted on twitter, this is the second worst piece of news I've heard in the last 24 hours, next to Manchester, and I haven't even had my second cup of coffee yet. It's too early for this shit. Godspeed to all those affected, I hope they land on their feet. This is a black day. :(

What a shame. Arkane is probably next after IOI even tho they alse made great games

Please don't say this. Dishonored 2 didn't do too well but they still let them make Prey. I really really don't want to see Arkane go.

I hope everyone lands on their feet and IO signs a deal with someone else soon

There were rumors that IO would keep Hitman. But I wonder if a buyer has been found already.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How are players and reviewers at fault?
Inded. While it's sad to see people losing their jobs, potential customers aren't a charity. It's not their responsibility to support the studios making games. Likewise with reviewers, it's not their job to sell games. People will buy whatever they want to play. It's unfortunate that these games aren't in enough demand in today's market, of course, but that's the risk every developer takes.

Aangster

FFS Square: all the individual talent contributed to what HitmanTM so great. I'm incredibly concerned for Hitman's future but alas, survival first for its only (and deservedly so) maker.

While those gimps at Square Europe/UK are at it, have they considered firing their marketing heads? Niche products will never sell volumes like popular series, but the fact they didn't use marketing strategies to overcome these obstacles, leaving IOI to do most online communication, is fucking embarrassing. Like the publisher work done for Deus Ex, they should take a good and hard look at the qualityTM content they pumped out for both franchises, especially the stuff they put out on their YouTube channel: the pack of embarrassing fucks.

On a side note, I think Arkane are in a much better position with publisher Bethesda Softworks, although the complete lack of narrative DLC says a lot about Dishonored 2's sales performance.

Alx

Damn, a cousin of mine works there. I should check if he's ok, but it's always awkward to ask for such information. :/

Linkark07

Banned
I don't think the game sold well. I doubt SE would pull their funds if the game did well.

I understand the game didn't sell as SE wanted. Financially, I understand it was a moderate success but sadly, that means nothing for these publishers.

What Square Enix doesn't understand is that Hitman isn't a franchise that moves big numbers like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Dinjooh

Damn, a cousin of mine works there. I should check if he's ok, but it's always awkward to ask for such information. :/

Yea I have some friends who work there as well and I've known about this for some time now. Sucky situation all around.

True Fire

Hitman was one of the best games of 2016. It's not fair that all of these horrible things are happening to IO Interactive while this industry continues to reward mediocrity.

Duxxy3

Well I think big budget episodic gaming is dead. Seemed like fans of the older Hitman games loved the new one, but apparently those fans don't make up much of a market.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Metal-Geo

Horrible, depressing and heart breaking news. And really unfair after delivering an amazing product like HITMAN - my personal GOTY of 2016 (and still enjoying it in 2017). It's a shame to see such a talented team fragment like that.

Best of luck to everyone affected.

xrnzaaas

This is probably the only way a season 2 gets made. :(

Yep. They probably have some stuff for season 2 ready, now they need to finish it as a smaller studio and hope that the good word about the game will continue to spread so hopefully they can become bigger again in the future.

I'm interested if they're going to keep the episodic model and the always online requirement for season 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they released season 2 as one package so they could immediately offer it in retail form as well.

Pagusas

Elden Member

It shouldn't be, "Hey man, i heard some worrying news about your company, are you ok? If you need anything let me know how I can help" Simple.

Horrible, depressing and heart breaking news. And really unfair after delivering an amazing product like HITMAN - my personal GOTY of 2016 (and still enjoying it in 2017). It's a shame to see such a talented team fragment like that.

Best of luck to everyone affected.
Same. Easily topped my 2016 list
Hitman is something rare and special: an honest-to-god comeback, a return-to-form that sets the bar for all future returns-to-form. From a game that made one question if IO had forgotten what made the series special, that altered many of the series' unique features in baffling ways, to a sleek game that pushes the Hitman series to new heights...This is the sequel I've been waiting a decade for.

Mahonay

Banned
Well I think big budget episodic gaming is dead. Seemed like fans of the older Hitman games loved the new one, but apparently those fans don't make up much of a market.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.
I wouldn't say it's dead as a concept. This seems very typical of a company like Square Enix to just give up and a fairly successful project like this one, because it didn't sell to their insane expectations.

peppers

Fucked up.
I absolutely adored Kane and Lynch 2 and have respected IO ever since for what they were trying to accomplish with that game.

Wow, I didn't know so many thought the last Hitman was one of the best games of 2016. I never finished it, because the technical issues were horrible, but I can see how it is that good for some.

Hope they'll still be able to continue the series.

I hope those affected land on their feet

That too.

Demoskinos

Ugh. That sucks. This industry is cut-throat. Sucks that a game as amazing and polished as Hitman apparently didn't do that well sales wise. :(

Hope these people land on their feet and I also hope IO get to finish at least season 2 of Hitman.

Such a bummer, they made one of the best games of 2016 and this is what happens.

Best of luck to all the employees let go, hope they manage to land on their feet.

Poster#1

DAgxjyQXsAATuy2.jpg

Tweet

NolbertoS

I call it Karma, for the Kane and Lynch fiasco 10 years ago on Gertsmann. Now IO is being downsized. I guess SE couldn't find any buyers, so they're cutting staff left and right

Fezan

Really sad to see this. But their whole approach to this game was wrong. It should have been a complate game realease.

Top Bottom