• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

m3k

Not even Lucius? He is probably my favourite heresy character after Garro.

i hated him... although i have only read the first 3 books

i think ill go get some of the suggested reading posted in this thread though. really thought they were all pretty average to bad so far so im looking towards something thats less entry level and... better

Ebris

I'm gonna give some book recommendations later after reading Endcat's great post. There's some older 40k novels that I think deserve some limelight.

obin_gam

If this has been mentioned, then disregard.

Introducing the ultimate W40K score with a concept album in which british death metallers Bolt Thrower worked closely togehter with Games Workshop and made this brutal war-inducing album by the name of Realm of Chaos.
OsigppM.jpg

Spotify | YouTube

Tracklist
1. "Intro"
2. "Eternal War"
3. "Through the Eye of Terror"
4. "Dark Millennium"
5. "All that Remains"
6. "Lost Souls Domain"
7. "Plague Bearer"
8. "World Eater"
9. "Drowned in Torment"
10. "Realm of Chaos"
11. "Prophet of Hatred"
12. "Outro"

I can also recomend albums Mercenary and Honor Valour Pride by the same band which, even if they are not based on W40K, also fits perfectly into the grim dark future in which there is only war.

Karakand

Not even Lucius? He is probably my favourite heresy character after Garro.

Dat punking of
Solomon Demeter
on Istvaan III. sogood.gif

Too bad they messed up his lore in Angel Exterminatus, though by doing so it was a totally different experience for me than the above since what I was expecting to happen didn't.

There's a large rulebook for the actual rules of the game. The individual Codices are for individual armies like unit entries, point cost, army composition, special rules, etc.

Every rulebook and codex that GW releases is filled with background and miniature showcases/galleries. I'd say half of the content is rules and the other half is background.

This is part of my collection:

Not sure where the third 40k rulebook is, but that's three editions of 40k, three editions of Fantasy, a few Fantasy books, lots of 40k Codices, the original Necromunda rules along with a printed version from the website (white binder), Apocalypse, Cityfight, Cities of Death, a Forgeworld book, both Aeronautica Imperialis books, Firestorm Armada rules, Uncharted Seas rules, the Flames of War rulebook, and some European and African front army books. Looking at it now, there are several books missing. D:

I love these types of pics. I'l post mine later. I had, but sold, the original Rogue Trader hard cover and the 40k Compendium to a guy in Australia a good 18 years ago. I regret it. I have almost all the White Dwarf magazines from around issue 100 up to current!

I used to have Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine (sold 'em!) and I still have Epic. I also sold a bunch of Squats years ago for huge money. None of them were painted.

I have accumulated so much stuff over the years, but it's all linked to this day!

deim0s

Once you're head gets splattered over the floor, you're just dead. If you have anything in the afterlife it's either Chaos loves you or just screwing you further.

In WH-verse what happens when you die? is there an afterlife or do you just stop existing?

Depends on the race. Eldar souls are still fully conscious after death, orks supposedly get reincarnated, and daemons will reappear in the warp once they're banished. Barring exceptional circumstances, everything else we've been shown is done for after death.

Edit: IIRC the Goff klan was into some kind of primitive heavy metal, but the Goffs are awezum like that.

Goff Rokkerz
1g3hmDT.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Has there been any word beyond rumors of the Ork book coming out this next year?

I've been hunting for more dark/brutal Ork art on the internet over the last few days looking for some inspiration for a larger painting i want to do ... but I need something more grimdark than the standard stuff i normally run into. those really dark pictures from some of the 3rd ed. books are pretty decent. I wanna make a scary as shit warboss.. and only 1 out of every 100 Ork pictures from the books is actually fucking dark and violent ... unlike the entirety of almost every other fluff piece that makes their armies look like complete badasses...

Vhalyar

In WH-verse what happens when you die? is there an afterlife or do you just stop existing?

Your soul returns to the immaterium typically. What happens after depends on who/what you were in life.

- For the vast majority, their souls just get swallowed up and overwhelmed by the maelstrom of emotions. There's nothing left of the person.
- Librarian/psyker souls in general can hold their individuality/sense of self together after death for some time, which is a living hell.
- Eldar souls remain fully conscious and are specifically preyed upon by Slaanesh for torture/sexy time/eventual consumption. The Eldar use soul stones to trap their souls to hopefully avoid this fate. The soul stones are then used to power their Infinity Circuits, which are basically databases of souls.
- Worshipers of one of the four gods have their souls claimed by their patron.
- Worshipers of Chaos that have sworn no allegiance to one of the gods/wished to exploit Chaos in their greed are often turned into Furies as punishment.
- Daemonic entities are banished for a time back to the warp. How long they are stuck there depends on how sever their death was.

Scirrocco

Your soul returns to the immaterium typically. What happens after depends on who/what you were in life.

- For the vast majority, their souls just get swallowed up and overwhelmed by the maelstrom of emotions. There's nothing left of the person.
- Librarian/psyker souls in general can hold their individuality/sense of self together after death for some time, which is a living hell.
- Eldar souls remain fully conscious and are specifically preyed upon by Slaanesh for torture/sexy time/eventual consumption. The Eldar use soul stones to trap their souls to hopefully avoid this fate. The soul stones are then used to power their Infinity Circuits, which are basically databases of souls.
- Worshipers of Chaos that have sworn no allegiance to one of the gods/wished to exploit Chaos in their greed are often turned into Furies as punishment.
- Daemonic entities are banished for a time back to the warp. How long they are stuck there depends on how sever their death was.

It sounds like chaos worshipers actually come out ahead in the grand scheme of things. Considering the universe i guess it wouldn't be that strange.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It sounds like chaos worshipers actually come out ahead in the grand scheme of things. Considering the universe i guess it wouldn't be that strange.

Pretty sure the chaos gods don't serve them tea and free blowjobs for all eternity. Pretty sure it's all rapeydeathbloodfirepaintorture for ever and ever and ever....

Leunam

First of hopefully many:

ZbbBw98.png

Wasn't worried about nailing every little thing (back of the shield for instance) so it can definitely be improved upon. Once it's got a layer of matte varnish and some ground flock it'll be complete, but it's basically finished at this point. I decided on Ultramarines since I like their heraldry and squad markings, particularly how they denote sergeants and veteran status (red helmet with laurels). The free hand on the helmet was actually really easy to do and made the whole effort more rewarding. Not sure how Assault Marines are going to fare but I'll be using them anyway since I love their models.

Karakand

What I don't get then is how the Iron men were corrupted by Chaos in the first place.
Man made machines would surely have zero presense immaterium wise?

Chaos can corrupt window glass. It can do pretty much anything (except turn Failbaddon into a winner).

I don't think the original revolt by the thinking machines was because of Chaos, however.

e: Woah, I had no intention of ever reading a Gaunt book, but I just found out
Heldane
is in them. Adds another layer to
Ravenor's
monologue about the path of
Puritan to Radical
at the end of Hereticus.

Nice work Leunam!

Tempted to convert a Deathwatch squad for display featuring all the First Founding Chapters, using the new Space Marine sprues and a few other bitz from GW and FW...

What I don't get then is how the Iron men were corrupted by Chaos in the first place.
Man made machines would surely have zero presense immaterium wise?

That actually make it easier to corrupt things in the first place as there is no warp presence preventing hard force corruption. Also Warp entities find it really easy to take control of machines that operate off of pure logic since they don't need to follow the rules of logic. This is a big reason why the Imperium invests so much in giving machines feelings and thoughts. Since belief makes things exist so much of these does eventually give the machine its own warp presence. Its also why R&D is so slow as its really easy for deamonic symbols to be formed out of circuits leading to research going slowly in order to prevent the team from being eaten while figuring out how to implement warding symbols into the design of the boards. Not to mention the nastiness that can happen when a machine is possessed. See the Blood Tide or Scrap Code for that.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
e: Woah, I had no intention of ever reading a Gaunt book, but I just found out
Heldane
is in them. Adds another layer to
Ravenor's
monologue about the path of
Puritan to Radical
at the end of Hereticus.

Why would you not want to read one of the best WH40K series out there? The Gaunt books are one of the very few novels I can loan to non-WH40K fans without fear of outing myself as a person who's willing to overlook drastically shitty writing (i.e., almost everything else that's not written by Abnett) just because the universe is so much fun.

m3k

i went to a bookstore to use a giftvoucher i found cleaning up my room and it had precisely zero of the books reccomended in this thread... out of about 30 :(

Ah, got it.

Eisenhorn is really good guys. Really digging it. These people feel like...well, people. Horus Heresy characters felt more like we were reading about characters through the lens of myths. Everything they did was some universe shattering thing. Like, the one dude read a scroll and everybody was quivering and crying. Like. You're space Marines, not bronies reacting to the reveal of a MMLP feature length movie relese. Act like it guys.

Eisenhorn is great although I got tired of Abnett's multi-paragraph descriptions of the clothes people wore. Still one of my favorite 40k books.

I'd like to start reading about the Horus Heresy, is there a complete list in order anywhere?

isual

Eldrad Ulthran. Greatest farseer of the Eldar.

shiet son.

grey-knights-omnibus.jpg

Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter...a good or awful starting place for 40k noobs who can't seem to find Eisenhorn anywhere?

Edit: Any leads on where a guy can find Eisenhorn for less than $40 in decent shape if I've already exhausted all the brick and mortar stores in my area?

Nice work Leunam!

Tempted to convert a Deathwatch squad for display featuring all the First Founding Chapters, using the new Space Marine sprues and a few other bitz from GW and FW...

Just spent a couple of hours on a bitz spending spree, lol. It begins!

http://ultrasmurf.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/grey-knights-omnibus.jpg[img]

Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter...a good or awful starting place for 40k noobs who can't seem to find Eisenhorn anywhere?

Edit: Any leads on where a guy can find Eisenhorn for less than $40 in decent shape if I've already exhausted all the brick and mortar stores in my area?[/QUOTE]

I don't have anything good to say about the one Ben Counter book I've read.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Dark-Vengeance-Space-Marine-Dark-Angel-Tactical-Squad-/130981715687?pt=Games_US&hash=item1e7f1e5ee7

Can someone explain why these Dark Angels are so cheap? Is this normal? I'm looking for a relatively cheap set of minis to practice painting.

It's because they are monopose models from the starter set. This means a heavily limited opportunity for custumisation (unless you are good at that sort of thing) and there are an absolute ton of them on the market.

Compare this set which comes from the regular box to that one. I would simply recommend buying the starter set models over the regular box simply because they are cheaper and you won't be tempted to over complicate the models when assembling them making them hard to paint which was my mistake. On the other hand the new tactical set does come with a ton of customization options that people really like. The previous one I posted is from the old Tactical box. Here is the new box for comparison.

It's because they are monopose models from the starter set. This means a heavily limited opportunity for custumisation (unless you are good at that sort of thing) and there are an absolute ton of them on the market.

Compare this set which comes from the regular box to that one. I would simply recommend buying the starter set models over the regular box simply because they are cheaper and you won't be tempted to over complicate the models when assembling them making them hard to paint which was my mistake. On the other hand the new tactical set does come with a ton of customization options that people really like. The previous one I posted is from the old Tactical box. Here is the new box for comparison.

Picked up those starter set minis. Now the quest begins for affordable paint and brushes...any recommendations? Preferably a paint set ideal for beginners to the hobby?

Karakand

Why would you not want to read one of the best WH40K series out there? The Gaunt books are one of the very few novels I can loan to non-WH40K fans without fear of outing myself as a person who's willing to overlook drastically shitty writing (i.e., almost everything else that's not written by Abnett) just because the universe is so much fun.

1. Abnett wrote it.
2. It's 4 (!!!) omnibuses long.
3. I've watched Sharpe's Rifles already.
4. IG more like Zzz.
5. About a commissar who never blams his own men. (lol sure)
6. Fucking sick of Abnett-authored tales of the Imperium fighting Chaos get a new fucking schtick Dan fucking Abnett the first fucking chapter of Nightbringer in the Ultramarines omnibus had as many alien species as the entirety of your Eisenhorn series EVEN THOUGH INQUISITOR GREGOR EISENHORN IS A MEMBER OF THE GOD-EMPEROR (OUR UNDYING LORD)'S MOST HOLY ORDO XENOS.

JoV

Picked up those starter set minis. Now the quest begins for affordable paint and brushes...any recommendations? Preferably a paint set ideal for beginners to the hobby?

For paints I recommend the Army Painter range. They are cheap and work very well from my experience. Also they get you used to using a palatte, rather than painting straight out of the bottle, which is a really good technique to learn. Also their sprays are very good for priming. I use their Skeleton Bone primer on just about everything.

Another reason why those Dark Angel mini's are cheap(er) is that the iconography is moulded on. Makes them somewhat hard to use for other chapters. I really like them though. The Dark Vengeance box set is one of the few things GW produces these days which I think represents very good value for money.

Eisenhorn is great although I got tired of Abnett's multi-paragraph descriptions of the clothes people wore. Still one of my favorite 40k books.

I'd like to start reading about the Horus Heresy, is there a complete list in order anywhere?

I posted this eariler, but here it is again. This is all the books, in order. I was right where you are now when I first started looking into the HH. They are not numbered, and finding the official order was much harder than it needed to be. Although, the stories in the books themselves are sometimes a little out of sequence and often self contained, I still wanted to read them in release order!

63bb3a3173af715b868638c1b25af09d.jpg

I am not sure this has been posted in this thread yet, but there is an OT dedicated to miniature gaming where we talk paint, supplies, ect.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=389064

There may be a lot of cross talk now that this topic exists. I would certainly would not hesitate to cross post anything 40k related in both!

grey-knights-omnibus.jpg

Edit: Any leads on where a guy can find Eisenhorn for less than $40 in decent shape if I've already exhausted all the brick and mortar stores in my area?

i havent read the grey knights but i read Soul drinkers and some Horus hereasy ben counter stuff and i would not recommend reading that one.

Meteorain

1. Abnett wrote it.
2. It's 4 (!!!) omnibuses long.
3. I've watched Sharpe's Rifles already.
4. IG more like Zzz.
5. About a commissar who never blams his own men. (lol sure)
6. Fucking sick of Abnett-authored tales of the Imperium fighting Chaos get a new fucking schtick Dan fucking Abnett the first fucking chapter of Nightbringer in the Ultramarines omnibus had as many alien species as the entirety of your Eisenhorn series EVEN THOUGH INQUISITOR GREGOR EISENHORN IS A MEMBER OF THE GOD-EMPEROR (OUR UNDYING LORD)'S MOST HOLY ORDO XENOS.

So....no real reason not to read the books? :D

I posted this eariler, but here it is again. This is all the books, in order. I was right where you are now when I first started looking into the HH. They are not numbered, and finding the official order was much harder than it needed to be. Although, the stories in the books themselves are sometimes a little out of sequence and often self contained, I still wanted to read them in release order!

63bb3a3173af715b868638c1b25af09d.jpg
Thanks! Sorry for making you post it twice :)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Only a few of those books have to be read in actual order- after the opening trilogy (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) a lot of the series happens concurrently. Thousand Sons has to be read before Prospero Burns, Descent of Angels (I am told) has to be read before Fallen Angel, and The First Heretic-Know No Fear-Betrayer-Mark of Calth should probably be done in that sequence. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

Showaddy

Only a few of those books have to be read in actual order- after the opening trilogy (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) a lot of the series happens concurrently. Thousand Sons has to be read before Prospero Burns, Descent of Angels (I am told) has to be read before Fallen Angel, and The First Heretic-Know No Fear-Betrayer-Mark of Calth should probably be done in that sequence. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

I would actually read Prospero Burns before A Thousand Sons if I'm honest, due to PB's delay the big climatic battle is in the Sons book.

On another unrelated note just read The Emperor's Gift.
Best Grey Knights book out there by a mile, Dembski-Bowden hits another one out of the park.

Meteorain

Best Grey Knights book out there by a mile, Dembski-Bowden hits another one out of the park.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not!

I just don't understand why GW even brought out the GK, they are just so stupidly strong. I mean in lore terms an SM is beyond stupid, if they throw a rock it's more powerful that firing a gun, and they can spit acid to melt your face. Now take all of that and then make them all super psykers with ridiculous gear it's like.....what's the point?

FACE

Banned
If this has been mentioned, then disregard.

Introducing the ultimate W40K score with a concept album in which british death metallers Bolt Thrower worked closely togehter with Games Workshop and made this brutal war-inducing album by the name of Realm of Chaos.

Spotify | YouTube

Tracklist

I can also recomend albums Mercenary and Honor Valour Pride by the same band which, even if they are not based on W40K, also fits perfectly into the grim dark future in which there is only war.

Bolt Thrower is fucking awesome!

Showaddy

I just don't understand why GW even brought out the GK, they are just so stupidly strong. I mean in lore terms an SM is beyond stupid, if they throw a rock it's more powerful that firing a gun, and they can spit acid to melt your face. Now take all of that and then make them all super psykers with ridiculous gear it's like.....what's the point?

For what it's worth they seem a lot less uber-tier in this book. They specialise in killing Demons but they still die a lot fighting them, they're better than the average Marine but a Grand Master & a load of Knights still get trashed by a certain Chapter Master.

Meteorain

For what it's worth they seem a lot less uber-tier in this book. They specialise in killing Demons but they still die a lot fighting them, they're better than the average Marine but a Grand Master & a load of Knights still get trashed by a certain Chapter Master.

I remember how when they came out it was like not even normal space marines recuits cannot compare to a GK recruit! They are the super bestestest!

Here we go, found it:

"Each recruit must pass the six hundred and sixty six Rituals of Detestation, to prove that he is capable of withstanding horrors that would break even the greatest of 'normal' Space Marines."

"Space Marines who encounter them are telepathically scoured, while Imperial Guard regiments they fight beside are simply executed."

Oh really, so all those super heroic 'normal' SM don't even compare? Fuck off

I don't even know why I'm so angry :(

Edit: Found some more stuff!!

"Each Grey Knight name is actually a fragment of magical lore that acts in perfect opposition to the true name of a particular Daemon, making even a Grey Knight's name a deadly weapon."

I can't even....just why did GW make such try-hard "I'm the uberestestest" characters?

They seem to use them to elevate the stakes a lot in various books/lore.

They've always been the cream of the crop. First edition Space Hulk had an expansion based around them and they could fuck shit up!

Top Bottom