• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

Robin64

With the SNES Classic out soon, and it looking like we'll be able to tinker with it in the same way we did with the NES Classic, I thought it might be a good idea to get together some little tweak style patches for various games on there, or games you might want to add.

What I'm not talking about is full blown game changes, new levels, all that stuff. Just small Quality of Life tweaks.

And even if the SNES Classic never allows it, these could be good patches for emulation in general.

Here's a fun little list:

Final Fantasy III - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition
If you want a patch to change FFIII to FFVI, this is probably the one to go for. It compiles a load of bug fixes, removes any censoring, lengthens spell names so we can have Firaga and co back, puts the item names back how they should be (no more Tonics), adds the class name back for each character, and generally tidies up the script a bit more thanks to some additional room

Final Fantasy II - Namingway Edition
Same as above, but for converting Final Fantasy II back to Final Fantasy IV.

Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port
This hack replaces all in-game field text, battle text, spell names, item names, monster names etc. with their relevant GBA equivalents, except where compromises had to be made to accommodate the stricter space limitations of the SNES game.

Secret of Mana - Variable Width Font Edition
Made by FuSoYa of Lunar Magic fame, this changes Mana's rather horrible default font into a much nicer one. In doing so, it gave a lot more room, so he also expanded on the lines a little and made things sound more natural. It's not a restranslation, just a facelift.

Terranigma - NTSC Patch
Obviously Terranigma only came out in Japan and Europe, and if you want to play in English you do not want to dump your European ROM in to a 60Hz emulator like the SNES Classic is. This simple patch changes it to work at 60Hz and thus 60fps.

Super Mario RPG - PAL Version
Don't worry, although it's called "PAL Version", it doesn't convert the game to 50Hz. That would be horrible, and there is in fact another hack that does that. What this one mostly does is change the button colours back to red/blue/yellow/green, but also tweaks one or two other words. Obviously US SNES Classic owners won't care about this one, but it could be nice for us Europeans.

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts - Restoration
This removes most of the slowdown present in the game, as it turns out Capcom just poorly programmed the game. It also tweaks a few graphics such as restoring crosses.

F-Zero - Tracks Unlocked
This simple patch adds the missing tracks, such as Fire Field, to Time Trial mode. Makes you wonder why they weren't there in the first place.

Mario & Wario - Controller Hack
This adds controller support to a previously mouse-only game. Essential if you want to play it on the SNES Classic, I guess.

EarthBound - New Controls
Removes some of the tedium related to controls. The A button now interacts with anything in front of you, the X button now opens the menu, the Y button now opens the map, and attempting to interact with the uninteractable no longer produces a ”No problem here." message.

There's some patches that restore content from the Japanese versions:

Final Fight 3
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3566/
Megaman VII
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3609/
Prince of Persia
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3603/
Contra 3
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3513/

Breath of Fire 2 retranslation (also looks nicer and has a VWF):
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/
the original translation is notoriously bad.

So anything else you guys would suggest? Any little tweak patches you just need on a SNES game when you play it?

big_z

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts had a ton of slowdown but it was discovered to be due to capcpom programming and not the snes hardware. A rom hack/fix is available that fixes most of the slowdown issues.

Robin64

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts had a ton of slowdown but it was discovered to be due to capcpom programming and not the snes hardware. A rom hack/fix is available that fixes most of the slowdown issues.

Oh that's ace! I'll add that to the list. Sounds perfect.

hotcyder

Don't worry, although it's called "PAL Version", it doesn't convert the game to 50Hz. That would be horrible, and there is in fact another hack that does that. What this one mostly does is change the button colours back to red/blue/yellow/green, but also tweaks one or two other words. Obviously US SNES Classic owners won't care about this one, but it could be nice for us Europeans.

Just had a sudden realisation

SMRPG never came out over here - but it is being packaged in with the SNES Mini. I wonder how or if they're going to amend that?

edit

ZszTBtg.png

I guess that's one solution

Robin64

Just had a sudden realisation

SMRPG never came out over here - but it is being packaged in with the SNES Mini. I wonder how or if they're going to amend that?

It'll just be the same version released on VC several times in Europe, that is, just the pure NTSC ROM.

AllEchse

There's that control freak romhack for Super Metroid that changes the controls to more closely match the GBA versions.

lazygecko

I guess it's really true then that Capcom were just plain bad at developing for 16-bit hardware compared to their contemporaries. Maybe their CPS arcade hardware made the programmers too used to just bruteforcing everything.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I can stress enough how much I need Nintendo to be Nintendo and have not done anything to prevent the SNES Classic Mini from being hacked.

Secret of Mana - Variable Width Font Edition
Made by FuSoYa of Lunar Magic fame, this changes Mana's rather horrible default font into a much nicer one. In doing so, it gave a lot more room, so he also expanded on the lines a little and made things sound more natural. It's not a restranslation, just a facelift.
Script edit/rewrite is probably a better term: http://legendsoflocalization.com/did-secret-of-mana-reference-final-fantasy-vii/
Is anyone upset an NPC comes out with that instead? Probably not but it's Working Designs when you start doing that. Next you'll be buffing all the stats and limiting saving.

I'm more concerned the iOS port uses the SNES translation though.

Don't worry, although it's called "PAL Version", it doesn't convert the game to 50Hz. That would be horrible, and there is in fact another hack that does that.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2363/
Category: Improvement

I'm triggered right now.
It improves playing the game in 50Hz but the way it's worded there makes it sound like 50Hz itself is an improvement :\

Oh yeah, forgot about this one! It's another FuSoYa one, too. Definitely using this.

Are fan translated games also worth listing? If they are then Seiken Densetsu 3 clearly has to be a title people modding their snes classic should consider. There is a light improvement to make it 3 player, but thats not relevant on the snes classic atm.

Robin64

Are fan translated games also worth listing? If they are then Seiken Densetsu 3 clearly has to be a title people modding their snes classic should consider. There is a light improvement to make it 3 player, but thats not relevant on the snes classic atm.

Absolutely. Which was the latest version? I haven't linked it yet because I couldn't find the proper source.

Absolutely. Which was the latest version? I haven't linked it yet because I couldn't find the proper source.

I'd have to look it up and I gotta head off to work. Though just in a realm of things gaffers might want to look at (and haven't had better ports in English) I'd recommend translations of seiken densetsu 3, fire emblem 3-5, and crystal beans from dungeon explorer (2 player gauntlet style rpg)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. This is a neat idea. Never really thought about QOL patches.

Did a quick search on the site and found this funny patch.

Some may think of Super Probotector was a neutered version of Contra III, but I have a bit of nostalgia for those robots.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition - Restores content, fixes bugs, some script changes

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

--

Regarding pure translations, there are dozens and dozens of good ones, so I won't bother listing them all here. Tons of SFC-only JRPGs have had good fan translations thankfully.

Joqu

Sweet. Is there a Mario RPG patch out there that changes just the colours though? Y'know, for the purists?

I'll use the other one if I have to, but I've always liked SMRPG's weird naming conventions.

Robin64

Sweet. Is there a Mario RPG patch out there that changes just the colours though? Y'know, for the purists?

I'll use the other one if I have to, but I've always liked SMRPG's weird naming conventions.

I don't think so, but you could download Lazy Shell and edit the names in the ROM back to how they were. Then you'll have the colours changed, plus original names.

Lutherian

I higly recommend Hyper Metroid. It's a complete romhack for Super Metroid that does NOT require Speedrun skills (tho if you have, you'll be able to sequence break).

It's a bit hard but not that much. It's very close to Fusion & Zero Mission with handling, adds some optional moves to Samus, a brand new mechanic to access Tourian, and even an alternative opening story !

It's my favorite Super Metroid romhack and the best one, in my opinion.

http://www.hyper.metroidconstruction.com/

PS :
And the escape... oh my god.

SOLDIER

Very much subbing this thread, I’m super interested in applying all the QoL fixes I can to the included SNES games and any other ROMS installed.

Though as the former is concerned, will I be able to boot up the already-installed games with the patches applied? Or will I have to navigate a seperate fan-made list in order to access the “improved” games?

I really like the SNES Classic interface, so I’m hoping I can fire up the patched-up games from there.

And on the subject, what will I potentially need to get the additional ROMs/Romhacks to work with the Classic?

Very much subbing this thread, I'm super interested in applying all the QoL fixes I can to the included SNES games and any other ROMS installed.

Though as the former is concerned, will I be able to boot up the already-installed games with the patches applied? Or will I have to navigate a seperate fan-made list in order to access the ”improved" games?

I really like the SNES Classic interface, so I'm hoping I can fire up the patched-up games from there.

And on the subject, what will I potentially need to get the additional ROMs/Romhacks to work with the Classic?

Depends on what gets developed and how good the snes emulator onboard is.

If the homebrew developed is as good as Hakchi2, you would just add some commandline arguments once to any game that won't work with the onboard emulator, and the games will automatically be loaded - process ended up being very easy for the nes classic.

Joqu

Okay, here are some recommendations of my own:

Super Mario All-Stars Brick Fix
- fixes the physics of the NES Mario remakes to be more faithful to the originals. A must for people who have noticed the physics being off in the SNES version, and no harm to include anyway if you haven't noticed such a thing. To me it's a game changer.

Seems like there are a few options out there for uncensored EarthBound patches, some of them more extensive than others, but the big one appears to be MaternalBound - This one basically aims to turn EarthBound into even more of an English Mother 2, title screen and all (Though I do prefer the American EarthBound one tbh). It's not just about stuff like censorship though, it also fixes issues like typos and mistranslations and makes the whole Porky name consistent with the Mother 3 translation which I appreciate, while keeping the localization in tact. It won't be overtly literal. Give that thread I linked to a read though, there are a few patch options. Anyway, I consider it to be superior to the vanilla experience.

The excellent Ted Woolsey uncensored Final Fantasy VI patch has been linked to here, so I'll give Final Fantasy IV some love. There are some other minor patches out there that are neat, I'm not sure how well they'd combine, but my favourite SNES FF4 patch is Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition - Same creator as that VI patch. Basically tweaks the script and brings things closer to the gameplay of the Japanese version. Some pretty big improvements.

Translations aren't little SNES ROM hacks, but I can't help myself so off the top of my head I'd also like to recommend Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 (make sure 1 uses the bug fixed patch), the "lost" Chrono game Radical Dreamers, the SNES remake of Famicom Detective Club 2 (seems to be on the obscure side of fan translations, it's really good!), Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3 AKA Secret of Mana 2, and Clock Tower. I'm sure I'm missing some good ones, there are a lot. Oh yeah, some of the Fire Emblem games have gotten really good translations in recent years, but those always confuse me because there are a lot of them. I recommend searching through the forums of the Fire Emblem fan site Serene Forest to find the most up to date translations.

The Satellaview Zelda games are also fun stuff, but the most recent versions are highly recommended due to restoring things like the voice acting and orchestrated music. I imagine you won't be able to run those on the SNES mini?

I don't think so, but you could download Lazy Shell and edit the names in the ROM back to how they were. Then you'll have the colours changed, plus original names.

Hm. I've never done anything like that before but I'll consider it. Bit of a shame I have to though, the work has already been done! D:

Joqu

Okay, one more for some Zelda love: A Link to the Past: Redux, or ALttP DX if you want less changes since Redux is an expanded version of DX. Gameplay tweaks, translation tweaks, restores some stuff and changes some of the sprites to make them look more like the official artwork. Really good stuff, especially if you've already played a ton of ALttP and want to change things up a little.

Bakkus

Terranigma - NTSC Patch
Obviously Terranigma only came out in Japan and Europe, and if you want to play in English you do not want to dump your European ROM in to a 60Hz emulator like the SNES Classic is. This simple patch changes it to work at 60Hz and thus 60fps.

What if you own the PAL cart and a modded SNES with a 50/60 hz switch? Doesn't that turn it into 60 hz?

Does Demon's Crest have a similar patch?

Robin64

What if you own the PAL cart and a modded SNES with a 50/60 hz switch? Doesn't that turn it into 60 hz?

As far as I know that will speed up everything, including the music. But don't quote me on that, my experience with it is limited.

SOLDIER

Is there an FFVI hack that has the official new translation from the GBA patch?

Also wondering if there’s a hack that includes the additional dungeons and bosses, but that might be hoping for too much.

Joqu

^ good stuff. I'm gonna sub to this thread now, I love it.

Is there an FFVI hack that has the official new translation from the GBA patch?

Also wondering if there's a hack that includes the additional dungeons and bosses, but that might be hoping for too much.

I'd like that too, but I don't believe there is. "Ted Woolsey Uncensored" is more than it sounds like though, it's a new version of the script that uses multiple versions, including the GBA one, for its final result.

Same with the latter, yeah. I don't think it exists. Man, I've been thinking I'd love that for A Link to the Past too, give me that extra dungeon on the SNES. :(

ASaiyan

Banned
I can stress enough how much I need Nintendo to be Nintendo and have not done anything to prevent the SNES Classic Mini from being hacked.
It has a solid list of titles already, but this would definitely make it better. Transformed my NES Classic from being kinda neat to awesome.

Same with the latter, yeah. I don't think it exists. Man, I've been thinking I'd love that for A Link to the Past too, give me that extra dungeon on the SNES. :(

Is it any good? I remember way back being hyped for zelda 4 on gbc, but then when it came out, the much-hyped colour dungeon sucked as was nowhere near as good as the main dungeons.

Joqu

Is it any good? I remember way back being hyped for zelda 4 on gbc, but then when it came out, the much-hyped colour dungeon sucked as was nowhere near as good as the main dungeons.

I think it's good! I'm no ALttP dungeon expert, but I'd say that while the Palace of the Four Swords is still not as good as most of the regular dungeons, it absolutely is way meatier than Link's Awakening's colour dungeon. The colour one is a neat little diversion, but it's certainly not worth any hype because the puzzles are just some "hey look we can do colour now" thing. The Palace of the Four Swords however is more impressive to me because it has some fun powered up fights with four Dark World bosses, and ends with a pretty great new boss fight. But you should basically expect a lot of recycled mechanics, and while it's a nice challenge it is a bit on the small side. I hope that gives you a decent idea? It has been a while.

It's such a pain to unlock though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So if I wanted to say swap out a game on the SNES classic or do the above how would I go about doing it?

Cool, I will totally do this.

Robin64

So if I wanted to say swap out a game on the SNES classic or do the above how would I go about doing it?

Cool, I will totally do this.

We're not sure yet, but it should be a similar interface to hakchi2 when it's done, which was pretty straightforward.

in-hakchi2-v207-de-clusterm-disponible-1.png

Top Bottom