• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Souls series has been a blessing for video games & there's nothing like them

Lime

You know that feeling when you think you've been part of something great? Something that people will look back on and reminisce about? That's basically how the Souls games have been to me. I've finally finished all of them now - from Demon's Souls DS1 to DS2 to Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3. After completing Dark Souls 3, this weird sense of melancholic appreciation of something marvelous and artistic went through me: It was the end of a masterfully crafted series. This made me look back on the games and how they position themselves in the rest of games culture, where I realized that there simply is nothing like them at all. The feelings of dread, of audiovisual artistry, of stress and catharsis, of hidden game complexity, etc. are practically non-existent in any other games. And it's not just about copying the combat mechanics of the Souls games and put them into another game world, but about how cohesive and carefully crafted that the games have been in their worldbuilding, their gameplay scenarios, their lore, and so on.

Simply said, I don't think I've ever had the privilege to play something so dreadful and so sinister and so punishing, dripping with dark fantasy atmosphere, where all the aspects of the game - from level design to monster design to architecture to music to loneliness to perfected combat encounters to storytelling to atmosphere - come together to form an almost perfect cohesive whole that is pretty much unmatched in all of video games history. That is not to say that all of the Souls games are "the best game ever", but that they are simply peerless in what they set out to do. And in an age of aiming for as many sales as possible by appealing to the same genre conventions over and over again, it is refreshing and inspiring to witness something so fundamentally unique and uncompromising.

So, in a way, I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to experience these games and the aesthetic experiences they bring. There is simply nothing like them at all and I would say absolutely nothing compares to them. I'm not sure that even From will ever be able to replicate the magic that all the 5 games provided in their own respective ways (I can't even believe they managed to sustain the quality throughout 5 major games!). All the incredible hard labor that has gone into it from all the hundreds of people involved in the production of this game is highly, highly appreciated. Anyway, just wanted to share the appreciation of something this meaningful, popular, and historically unique.

True. From Software (arguably) has successfully defined a genre. Many others have tried to replicate it, yet nothing could come close to Souls.

Nioh is the closest one with (arguably) better combat but worse everything else. But it's still an impressive achievement from Team Ninja.

Dark Souls 3 was the end of an era in gaming for me, and while my interest in the sequels sort of waned with each new entry I'm still glad to have played all of them.

I do think I'm done with them now though, unless they take it in a radically different direction.

Amirnol

Some of my favourite games of all time. I share your appreciation for this incredible series and From Software. I greedily want them to never stop making these games.

Wamb0wneD

For me they are just another form of action adventures. They are like Zelda except they focused on combat and perfected that and, at least when Miyazaki is involved, also focus on intricate leveldesign, where Zelda always had that design in it's dungeons that don't even get copied because they need too much expertise to craft, just like nobody else would be able to craft a world like Yharnam.

Bloodborne/Dark Souls and the Zelda series are the epitome in action adventures for me for different reasons so I can't really say From crafted something truly unique or their own genre.

I can see where OP is coming from though.

Skulldead

For me Front Software understood that making a hard game = feel rewarding. Game is too hard alone, ask friend/Stranger to help you. I think a lot of game should follow that road... i should say MMORPG should follow that logic... but they are not...

Wamb0wneD

Bloodborne is a masterpiece that stands above the rest of Froms games, in my opinion.

Especially in terms of leveldesign. That place is just nuts.

For me Front Software understood that making a hard game = feel rewarding. Game is too hard alone, ask friend/Stranger to help you. I think a lot of game should follow that road... i should say MMORPG should follow that logic... but they are not...

Miyazaki is on record saying that that was never the main point of the series though. It's challenging yes, bu not hard just for the sake of being hard.

takriel

I fondly remember Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. But I'm glad that they came to an end. I was really fatigued by the time Dark Souls 3 came out.

It's time for them to do something new, or, at least, put a great spin on the next title à la Bloodborne.

silva1991

Even tho I'm fatigued and don't want more of them for a long time, Dark souls 1 remains my favorite game of all time and Souls is my favorite series.

Demon souls, Dark souls 1 and Bloodborne especially defined this style and I don't think even FROM can top them.

ZrC4XI4.jpg

Mazumdar

Neo Member
I finished the Dark Souls 3+DLC this week and felt that same feeling you got.

It makes me sad that it's all over.

tanooki27

I agree. last gen was missing something big, and it was hard to understand what that was exactly until I played dark souls. that's a real friggin game with depth and meat and no lame AAA pandering.

nelo_inc

Great games all around, love the environments, music and overall feeling of despair and destruction.

The only i have left to play is Dark Souls 2, because of general agreement that is the worse.

I still remember watching a video for Demon's Souls, it was just the tutorial area and there was just something about it. The weighty way the player moves and swings their weapons and the overall atmosphere and art design, it did a great job of conveying just what the game was about.
It just gave me this feeling of, "I need to play this game"

After reading up about it a little more, I pretty much immediately bought a used Asian copy off Ebay for about £54 and when it finally arrived I just devoured it, it's one of those releases that appears every now and again that reminds you why you play games.

It was interesting watching the popularity grow and the game being released in other territories, when it finally saw it's PAL release, I double dipped because it was a cool package with the tips book, and because I wanted to support From Software directly this time.

arcticice

Great games all around, love the environments, music and overall feeling of despair and destruction.

The only i have left to play is Dark Souls 2, because of general agreement that is the worse.

i held off on DS2 because of the same "AGREEMENT." but it's really good. if you have played all the other souls/borne games then you owe it to yourself to play DS2 as well

Frodo

Dark Souls will forever be one of my favourite games, even though it has a bunch of flaws that were ironed out on the sequels (that introduced their own problems). The atmosphere was incredible, and unlocking shortcuts after struggling through a hard level is one of the most gratifying things ever in games.

yfphKl8.gif

tsundoku

Actually the retrieval of exp mechanic literally only makes sense in the presence of estus flasks and red phantoms and is plaguing the industry right now.

Nobody has any idea how to manage their currency system or currency distribution. They lazily rely on you grinding up to the same place over and over to get currency or rely on you getting by without it.

Even in all of the Souls Games you only ever really bother to level up or care immediately after a boss unless its the first hour of the game.

Nasigil

Neo Member
They are unique masterpieces indeed.

It's also a shame that the series hasn't been fully developed to its potential. For example, From is not really good at graphics. Souls games have impeccable art style, but the lighting, texture and model details are mediocre at best for its genre, npc doesn't even have facial animations, etc. Not to mention the horrible frame rate drop in certain boss fights or areas. There are many circumstances when I played the DS3 and I thought "man, if I saw this kind of awful shadow in Witcher 3 or MGSV, I would've considered it a bug."

The biggest missed opportunity for me is that the series failed to have a cohesive story/lore. I am okay with vague and fragmental environmental storytelling, that suits the game perfectly, but there are simply too many loose ends, too many inconsistent parts. Miyazaki sort of just threw in whatever he wants in the game without caring about consistency. Hollow Knight is a great example of this kind of storytelling done right.

Here's hoping other game companies can learn a lot from Souls games(especially CDPR) and From can give us another great game, whatever it is they are developing right now.

III-V

I would prefer the series not end. I would not mind it continuing in the least bit. Demon's remaster would be great.

Ferr986

I thought I was fatigued, but six months later I already crave for more. I recently replayed them all too.

It's one of my favorite franchises ever, easily. Love them all.

They are unique masterpieces indeed.

It's also a shame that the series hasn't been fully developed to its potential. For example, From is not really good at graphics. Souls games have impeccable art style, but the lighting, texture and model details are mediocre at best for its genre, npc doesn't even have facial animations, etc. Not to mention the horrible frame rate drop in certain boss fights or areas. There are many circumstances when I played the DS3 and I thought "man, if I saw this kind of awful shadow in Witcher 3 or MGSV, I would've considered it a bug."

The biggest missed opportunity for me is that the series failed to have a cohesive story/lore. I am okay with vague and fragmental environmental storytelling, that suits the game perfectly, but there are simply too many loose ends, too many inconsistent parts. Miyazaki sort of just threw in whatever he wants in the game without caring about consistency. Hollow Knight is a great example of this kind of storytelling done right.

Here's hoping other game companies can learn a lot from Souls games(especially CDPR) and From can give us another great game, whatever it is they are developing right now.

I agree with this, especially in regards to it not having a cohesive storyline across all 3 of the Dark Souls games.
I'm a huge fan of the in game lore, and how it's presented, but it's extremely disjointed.

Demon's Souls had more personality than any of the Dark Souls games. It's the father of this new genre and brought so much innovation to the table like invasions, no voice chat, and also the overlooked aspect of bringing NPCs to your lobby/HUB, some who can be bad. For example, in Demon's if you bring Yurt to your lobby, he will start slowly killing other NPCs.

Started as a SP game for me and ended up as a co-op game the more popular it got and my friends jumping onboard. Which in turn made the games incredibly easy, Yet still great experiences.

Bloodborne being the pinnacle with it's setting, OST, Level design, Bosses.

Not sure what they could do in near future, But Dragons Dogma and Nioh do have better gameplay so it would need a complete revamp to entice me again.

pa22word

I fondly remember Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. But I'm glad that they came to an end. I was really fatigued by the time Dark Souls 3 came out.

It's time for them to do something new, or, at least, put a great spin on the next title à la Bloodborne.
This is basically me.

I loved the surge and nioh though, so it's not the formula itself that's wearing on me as much as Dark Souls itself is boring at this point. 3 was such a retread it makes it really hard to play through it again, and it really burned me out on the games for a while.

Rtas

Personally was never a fan of this series. I played through all of them and while the difficulty was refreshing the buggy and clunky combat was horrendously unfun.

Couple that with the fact the game literally does not tell you at all what to do or when its necessary. No game should absolutely require a guide or trial and error to find the next objective.

I started the game the first time got past the first "boss" and upon leaving the asylum I promptly ran somewhere I (according to my friend) shouldn't be going near till later in the game. But of course the game doesn't say that, it lets you run straight in and die to an enemy you have no hope of defeating.

Difficulty was refreshing though a lot of the people who say its the hardest game ever seriously need to go back and play Contra. The art and story were engrossing and beautiful but the gameplay and horrible combat ruined these games for me. I know a friend who actually does HEMA as a historical martial artist and the swordplay in this game literally makes him cry with its inaccuracy.

Dark Souls 1 on PC was the first Souls game I played and it still is one of my favourite games of all time. It's a game rife with surprises and mystery. Hence why later games were such a disappointment for me: I already knew what to expect. Dark Souls 2 and 3 didn't move the genre forward but rather retread the same ground covered in Dark Souls 1. The improved graphics, different locations and new bosses couldn't hide that fact.

pa22word

nothing like them?

you should try blade the edge of darkness / severance
Also Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, System Shock 1, etc

The format of souls isn't really that new. It just takes an old idea and wraps it up with exciting and deliberate 3rd person combat system.

LordOfChaos

It's like a throwback to a time before handholding and difficulty sliders, "here you are in this world, go figure it out".

Playing Bloodborne was almost indescribable, unlike the feeling of any other game, it's like the first really cold day of winter when your senses are all on alert.

Personally was never a fan of this series. I played through all of them and while the difficulty was refreshing the buggy and clunky combat was horrendously unfun.

Couple that with the fact the game literally does not tell you at all what to do or when its necessary. No game should absolutely require a guide or trial and error to find the next objective.

I started the game the first time got past the first "boss" and upon leaving the asylum I promptly ran somewhere I (according to my friend) shouldn't be going near till later in the game. But of course the game doesn't say that, it lets you run straight in and die to an enemy you have no hope of defeating.

Difficulty was refreshing though a lot of the people who say its the hardest game ever seriously need to go back and play Contra. The art and story were engrossing and beautiful but the gameplay and horrible combat ruined these games for me. I know a friend who actually does HEMA as a historical martial artist and the swordplay in this game literally makes him cry with its inaccuracy.

Seems like bait.

sublimit

Banned
You're absolutely right OP.

Can't wait to see what they come up in the future.And i LOVE that for the first time in a very long while they seem to be taking their time to create whatever it is they are creating.

Ferr986

I mean, that's a hint enough that that's not the correct path IMO.

I dunno, I agree some side things are incredible obtuse but overall I think the games are beatable without any guide (the method of entering DS1 DLC was shit though).

Gbraga

Incredible series, From Software and Hidetaka Miyazaki deserve all the success. Really excited to see what's next.

pa22word

Ehh the only game in the dark series id argue is poorly explained and unnecessarily convoluted is the first game, and that's arguably mostly the localizations fault more than anything. The game in Japan apparently shipped with a manual that explained a lot of the stuff the game doesn't even bother to tell you anything about like kindling and the stupidly obtuse item ui + weird upgrade system. Souls 2 and 3 drastically improved the ui, the health mechanics are much more straightforward, and upgrading flasks is explained in game in a straight forward fashion vs the absolutely idiotic way they handled it in souls 1 (use item to bolster flask! Uses item and gets 10000 souls...hahahaha).

sublimit

Banned
It's a shame really. I played BB and couldn't handle the pressure.

If you enjoyed the game you shouldn't be afraid to ask other players to help you.Sure many people will tell you "noooo Souls games should be always played solo!!" but seriously fuck that attitude (and i'm saying this as someone who mostly plays these games solo especially the first time i play them.)The important thing is for you to get better and to understand the mechanics of the games.And if you give them enough time and patience while having fun with co-op i'm sure you will eventually.

Rtas

Seems like bait.

Not bait just my opinion, if it was bait I'd have simply said "Its shit lol"

I mean, that's a hint enough that that's not the correct path IMO.

I dunno, I agree some side things are incredible obtuse but overall I think the games are beatable without any guide (the method of entering DS1 DLC was shit though).

Its not that I want handholding I'd simply more like an inkling of what I'm meant to do at the start of the game, you just get out and have no explanation of what you're actually doing

Ehh the only game in the dark series id argue is poorly explained and unnecessarily convoluted is the first game, and that's arguably mostly the localizations fault more than anything. The game in Japan apparently shipped with a manual that explained a lot of the stuff the game doesn't even bother to tell you anything about like kindling and the stupidly obtuse item ui + weird upgrade system. Souls 2 and 3 drastically improved the ui, the health mechanics are much more straightforward, and upgrading flasks is explained in game in a straight forward fashion vs the absolutely idiotic way they handled it in souls 1 (use item to bolster flask! Uses item and gets 10000 souls...hahahaha).

See I'd have loved something like that with the game. I persevered without a guide and finished the games and like I said mostly it was the combat that ruined it for me. The setting art and atmosphere were phenomenal

JDB

Banned
Hopefully they do a Souls-esque game in a completely different setting. No more castles, no more dragons, something new.
I know a friend who actually does HEMA as a historical martial artist and the swordplay in this game literally makes him cry with its inaccuracy.
This is some embarrassing shit.

Top Bottom