• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When alone, do games ever provoke an audible reaction from you (that isn't crying)?

dab0ne

I cuss like a sailor lol. My wife makes fun of me and my 5 years says stuff like "how lame!" and "that was cheap!" When he dies. 🤣

UltraMav

Dark Souls/Bloodborne makes me say the following out loud often:

"Fucking bullshit."

"Oh, come on!"

"Fuckin' seriously?"

"You gotta be kidding me."

"Haha suck it, bitch."

"Hahaha fuck you!"

And of course obnoxious laughter as the cocaine rush of finishing off a tough boss hits, after dying like a dozen times before hand.

Van Bur3n

I suppose you could say I think out loud a lot when I play. Perhaps it has gotten on the verge of sounding like I'm just talking to myself however.

RiverKwai

A high pitched whistling sound that occasionally breaks into the unmistakable sound of a Highland bagpipe and a tenor drum during a crescendo.

TwiztidElf

I have stood up and clapped at the end of amazing games. Come to think of it, I didn't at the end of Persona5, but I should have. It certainly deserved it.

I think the people at the end of my street can hear me yelling abuse at the shithead Rainmaker team mates I get paired up with.

RedToad64

This is the only game that makes me clap:
250px-Donkey_Kong_Jungle_Beat_Coverart.jpg

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've ever screamed in fright because of a game. Mostly because I don't play scary games. I get way too tense and it's just not a fun feeling to experience.

Clapping is maybe a partial from me. I've never started full on clapping, but I will occasionally do a single clap and a "Yes!" or "Alright!" when something really nice happens.

Nicolada

You never clap your hands together in amusement or excitement. Not really applauding, but a single clap is pretty common for me. Though I do this more when watching TV than playing video games because I would end up smacking my controller.
No. Only ever to applaud someone as an audience member.

LilBiscuit

Neo Member
Well, I audibly raged at one specific scene involving Liane in Jeanne D'Arc. What happened made me so irate that I turned off the game and never played it again and still have no plans too.

Skate 3 had me slackjawed with how easily I was able to completely break my character and the game. I hope Skate 4 is the same way.

The Witcher 3, especially the expansions, got a lot of gasps and "holy shit that's cool"s from me. Those expansions are astounding creations. The Naughty Dog games of late, generally a lot of stuff will conjure reactions from me

MCD250

Cutesy, upbeat games like, say, Super Mario 3D World often make me chuckle out loud because I appreciate the positive atmosphere. And of course, losing at some games (like fighting games, foe example) can make me audibly salty.

Jobbs

Banned
I said "oh my god just stop..." when I was getting impatient during the first 20 minutes of hellblade where I was just walking around looking for symbols

I said "OH SHIT" audibly when (HUGE Persona 5 Spoilers)
the main character got "killed."

I winced during the microwave scene of MGS4.

I can echo the people in the thread mentioning yelling out Trico's name while playing the Last Guardian.

I clapped after Ending E of Nier: Automata and the ending of MGS3.

All but clapping. Who claps at a game, or even a movie. Everyone clapped when the plane I was just on landed it wasn't even a turbulent flight. If its a concert or play then it makes sence, but for everything else it doesn't.

13ruce

Banned
Curse a bit with online or bosses or hard enemies.

I do feel pure joy like a kid with some very good games.

And yeah if something is emotional cry a bit:p

Joey Ravn

Banned
Absolutely. Joy, anger, relief, happiness. Everything.

My parents always mock me for my reactions, but I find them much more natural than, say, watching a football match and getting all riled up because the other team scored. When I'm playing the game, I'm not a passive observer of the action. I'm in control, so whether I succeed or fail is entirely up to me. If I'm doing a hard section and fail, of fucking course I'm going to be pissed. But if I do it well, I'm gonna be relieved and even happy.

Budi

Also, crying at games? Do people actually do that?
You honestly can't think that people do and aren't being snarky at all? People cry at books, movies, music, why wouldn't they cry at games. Games can offer everything that those other mediums do.

To OP, yeah all of those.

Exentryk

Very few games manage to do this. One example is PT, where your reactions can be audible shocks and surprises. Others like Witcher 3 might wow you with their locations an immersion.

Izuna

Banned
Battlefield 1 campaign with good earphones yesterday did this.

It's really, really good and I dunno why people hate it (unless the first story is the only good one).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
only when i'm getting frustrated

example: i was playing Catherine this morning and kept dying so was swearing and shouting at my TV. felt like hitting my controller off the wall with rage.

or the audio quality is really good.. I love playing Battlefield games with headphones. it's intense and i'm always wowing.

Usual and versatile "PUTAIN" when getting frustrated.

"Oh là là..." when I'm in awe. Area X in Rez infinite recently for example.

Top Bottom