• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When alone, do games ever provoke an audible reaction from you (that isn't crying)?

Disgraced

There are a lot of threads about what games have made us cry, but do games ever incite any other types of vocal or audible reactions from you?

Do you laugh hard?

Scream scared-shitless?

Sarcastically reply to dialogue for no one's amusement but yours?

Curse at your demise?

Groan?

Sigh?

Clap?

I do all those things, except scream. Because I'm big and tough, I guess. (Yes I clap. I'm American.) The other night the disturbing intro of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice made me laugh really hard in both nervousness and awe and go holy shit man... all alone, in the dark, and late.

So who else is crazy? And how crazy are you? Let's players and streamers, you're not allowed to post here.

Bane

Earlier this year when a super rare mount in WoW I'd been farming for a while dropped I yelled out "Dude!" to myself.

I don't ever get audibly pissed by myself though, only positive reactions. I'd not realized that until now.

Disgraced

I even do the above when watching let's plays.
Same.
of course, is this really even a question anymore? has it even been since as far back as the the 16bit days =p
The question goes as far back as rock stacks and cave scrawlings and applies to all media.

And while many of us do react emotionally and naturally I think lots of other people... just kind of sit and stew. Maybe because they're dull. Maybe because they're sad. Maybe because they just don't.

I'm just curious. Particularly interested to see if there's anything quirky somebody does.

Archanfel

I was playing Slime-San earlier today. I said all kinds of stuff like: Shit! Fuck! GODDAMN IT I FUCKING HIT JUMP! FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, I DASHED! MOTHER FUCKER, I THOUGHT I COULD DOUBLE JUMP AFTER THAT! Slimy piece of shit! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? FUCK YES! FINALLY! WOOO! Also slapped a table, took a deep breath and went back in for more. Getting all these apples and time trials is gonna make me go crazy.

sjay1994

Evil Within on Akumu made me throw a controller...

So I guess its the most audible reaction I've ever had playing a video game.

First time I saw a capital ship warp into a battle in Elite: Dangerous.

I was playing in VR, and when I saw that, I couldn't stop saying "oh fuck! That thing is HUGE!" out loud.

Definitely one of the highlights of VR for me.

Nanashrew

Banned
I make fun of dumb writing and characters all the time, I've laughed at funny moments, I've groaned at stupid things and annoying bosses.

I've even legit grooved to some cool music in games too.

Fanuilos

Pretty sure there was an audible "Oh fuck" when I finally got my first legendary in Legion. Usually I'm pretty quiet and focused, but Persona 5 seemed really good at getting various reactions from me.

NewGame

Banned
You know when you're watching a TV show and the actor needs to play a video game and the audience needs to identify with the actor playing the video game so they play the video game like people who they think other people will perceive as someone playing a video game?

Yeah, that's not me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just finished watching Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator's After Story C and it had me laughing despite the fact that I was alone

HardRojo

Playing fighting games online makes me rage hard. Same with Soulsborne.
A lot of times I'll repeat some of the lines from games to keep practicing my English pronunciation.

Oh all the time. One of my favorites was playing The Witcher 3 on PC. It was my first high end PC game on the rig I had just built. I just reached a view at night time where the moon was fucking huge and beautiful and I audibly gasped.

Thumper made me sigh and say "fuck" a lot after beating levels and sections. That game is the closest thing to a roller coaster I've ever played. It's left my hands shaking after playing it for a while.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yeah, I do most all of those. Thought most people did. Not clapping though, wut.
You never clap your hands together in amusement or excitement. Not really applauding, but a single clap is pretty common for me. Though I do this more when watching TV than playing video games because I would end up smacking my controller.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Servbot24

Banned
The Last Guardian made me stand up out of my chair with surprise a couple times. I also called out Trico's name.

Other than that I generally would never talk out loud during a single player game.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I call bullshit at certain things, like cheap deaths, or stupid character choices when a game is grindy and I'm not having fun.

Then I trade that bitch in...

I'm always muttering stuff when I'm really into a game or flat out hating it.

If I'm just turning my brain off with a game like Journey then I'm mostly silent.

Typically at the most, it's just laughter, sighs, or exclamations like "AW COME ON" after cheap deaths.

But it's rarely ever anything like a complete sentence.

Tagyhag

Yeah I'll curse if I'm extremely frustrated.

PUBG is the last game that made me cry out in joy though. Getting chicken dinner is just....MUAH.

BTA

Sometimes an amused "holy shit" or "fuck" to something good/shocking happening or being revealed? I've laughed pretty hard at lines in things before too.

I'll find myself smiling if I'm really into something that's happening even if it's not, like, enjoyable for the characters.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The TRUE final boss for Drakengard 3

This was my 29th attempt to beat it. I got near the end when screen fades to black and then Mikhail starts talking at that time I was overjoyed because I thought I finally beat it but what I didn't know there was one final FUCKING note left. I can't even describe the feeling in words.

Niks

All of those except clapping... I also haven't cried, but getting teary eyed? for sure.

P.T. made me scream like a madman, and to drop my controller if that counts.

Also, I think I say DAAAAMN a lot too.

jackal27

Banned
Dude, I yell out of excitement A LOT and nothing gets me to do this like a freaking amazing moment in a video game.

When something happens JUST RIGHT in Titanfall 2, my neighbors better hope they're not in bed yet.

Usually lots and lots of cussing.

I'm ashamed to admit it but this. Sometimes I curse the developers. I even flip the bird at the screen when something especially bullshit happens. This is my outlet because I'm mild-mannered and clean-mouthed when I'm around people.

mnemonicj

Yes sir, particularly when playing my fighting games. The rush of fighting an opponent with equal skills is so satisfying.

Top Bottom