• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Come on now, he isn't trolling, he is making a reasonable assessment of the current situation of the Wii U.

I have him on ignore for a reason. Thank you for your assessment. I'm indeed not trying to troll Nintendo. I bought a Wii U day 1 based off nothing but nostalgia. I don't think that precludes me from giving my opinion of them as I would either of the other 2 companies.

They needed to show me that they can use the gamepad for more than off screen play and mini maps. Well now I know it can be used to roll dice - truly next gen Nintendo!

No. They need some mindblowing game and a big price drop for me to even consider it. The price tag in particular. The cost is flat out insulting.

Just checked the price again....Completely forgot this shit was $349. Fuuuuuuck that. I won't be buying one until Retro's game, Xenoblade 2, and Smash Bros. are physically present on store shelves.

ape2man

I want to have wind waker, 101, ZombiU, Xeno.

if( wiiumusthavegames > 2 ) // buy

plus i can now replay super metriod on a pad.. with decent controls !!!!!!!!!!

Card Boy

Banned
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nintendo is back!!

I got these to look forward to:

"X"
Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
Windwaker HD
Zelda Wii U
Smash Brothers Wii U
Bayonetta 2

I'm not much of a Mario player outside Smash Brothers. Zelda is my fanboy Nintendo series.

Davey Cakes

I find it funny that the people claiming "same, tired, rehashed franchises" are the same ones who will be lining up for the forth, fifth, and sixth iterations of Sony and Microsoft's IPs.

There's nothing wrong with delivering tried and true franchises that people enjoy.
True.

Besides, "tired franchises" is overblown, whether its first or third party titles.

When it comes to Platinum Games' two titles, one is completely original (Wonderful 101) and one is a sequel to a cult hit hardcore action game (Bayonetta 2).

Pikmin 3 is the third game in a beloved series, and is coming out many years after its predecessor.

"Yoshi's Land" stars Yoshi but it's a different take on him. Not completely original nor unoriginal.

"X" looks like a Xenoblade spiritual sequel, where Xenoblade was an RPG revelation for a lot of people.

Game and Wario is a new take on WarioWare/Party games.

Wii U Party is another party game, but it'll have that Wii Party spark. Unoriginal in many ways but it's not like it's Mario Party 10 or anything.

SMT x Fire Emblem is a crossover and thus a new, different take on two established franchises. Fresh in its approach, but not with its properties. Nothing wrong with that.

Obviously yeah, you have Mario, Zelda, Smash, and Kart coming. All expected. All tried and true. All unoriginal. That shouldn't really be a knock, since these are fantastic series. They were always going to be there so no one can complain. If you want something original, skip these games.

I don't want to ramble on too much, but I think there's a decent balance of old and new in the Wii U lineup. Just seeing a familiar character and saying "tired rehash" is dumb.

klee123

Will get one eventually, but still not gonna get one until later this year.

Probably will get it when Xenoblade 2 comes out. That looks great.

hymanator

Give me a sprite-based Super Metroid sequel and I'll be there. I don't want another "Prime" or "Other M" game. I want my Samus to be silent, mysterious, and in 2D. Thanks

So you don't like

RPGs
Platfomers
Adventure games
Strategy games

you must like sports and 1st person shooters only?

No, I think he doesn't like:

-Japanese RPGs: Because we are from the West and tastes are different. Also, annoying protagonists.
-Nintendo Platformers: Because not everybody likes Mario.
-Adventure games: Didn't see any adventure game there.
-Strategy games: Again, same old japanese stuff

People also forget they haven't announced any release dates yet, so I pitty the fools who make a compulsive purchase right now, since most of those games won't come out until 2014.

nasos_333

They are better than before

If they have both a changed in colors Zelda WW and a non MMO game in X, then i will get one when both these are out

Othewise will go with the initial plan to get it when the new WiiU Zelda arrives

ShdwDrake

Banned
Question: What is this thread about? Did Nintendo drop some bombs or something or did they just announce some Nintendo games?

Replicant

I find it funny that the people claiming "same, tired, rehashed franchises" are the same ones who will be lining up for the forth, fifth, and sixth iterations of Sony and Microsoft's IPs.

There's nothing wrong with delivering tried and true franchises that people enjoy.

4-5 years of peddling the same franchise is not the same as 30+ years peddling the same thing. It's still bad but Nintendo was selling the same Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc when I was a kid and still is.

I'm already bored and sick of seeing the same God of War and Halo franchise in the past 5 years or so. Imagine that boredom multiplied by 5 to 6 times and that's how I feel about Nintendo franchises.

Kiryu

Most people won't buy Wii U now but when Zelda U, SMT X FE, SSBU, Xeno comes out...

It's automatic number 1 system seller. I call it.

BlackJace

4-5 years of peddling the same franchise is not the same as 30+ years peddling the same thing. It's still bad but Nintendo was selling the same Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc when I was a kid and still is.

I'm already bored and sick of seeing the same God of War and Halo franchise in the past 5 years or so. Imagine that boredom multiplied by 5 to 6 times and that's how I feel about Nintendo franchises.

There are people that happen to enjoy the franchises. There's nothing wrong with giving people what they want. Besides, in Nintendo's case, their IPs are iconic enough to define the company. Mario at this point has transcended gaming. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Mario, but I realize that there are MANY that are. There are a few upcoming third party titles for the system as well, so isn't it the best of both worlds in a sense? (I know it's still missing a large amount of western 3rd parties, but you get my point :p)

jrDev

Absolutely not. I would consider buying one if it was 30 dollars or free just so I could sell it back to make a profit. I wouldn't even KEEP a wiiU or wii just because it would take up space and there's not even anything I want for it. The last first party nintendo game I cared about was super Metroid,and zelda a link to the past. And anything that's multi platform I'd buy for the 360. I'll buy a nintendo wiiU when they pay me to simply stick it in my closet to rot.
Holy Shit!

OP brought out the bitter console zealots. Haha wow. Serious business!

I'm also late on the queuing of complaining about Mario and Zelda when those games weren't even shown...

I've played the Wind Waker, Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart before. I don't like being sold the same games over and over again. I understand that financially it makes a lot of sense to make these games, but I personally don't want to see them anymore.

prwxv3

They sure convinced me I wont be buying their VC games until they get their account shit fixed. Great game announcements though.

zeopower6

No! I touched my Wii maybe once in the last 2 years to play Kirby and that was about it. I think I'm done with Nintendo products, honestly.

Necron

I have to admit... yeah, kind of.

Xenoblade 2 (or whatever it's called), Wind Waker (never played it) and the fact that Bayonetta 2 is coming out (I remember that thread well), convinced me.

Until those games are out, however, I will have enough time to save cash for a Wii U.

spliced

People that need to be convinced should wait until the game(s) they want are released. If you have doubts don't buy on hope.

The other thing I don't get is people that buy at launch then sell 1 month later and say I get another a year from now when the game I want is released. Why not just keep the one you already got.

Replicant

There are people that happen to enjoy the franchises. There's nothing wrong with giving people what they want. Besides, in Nintendo's case, their IPs are iconic enough to define the company. Mario at this point has transcended gaming. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Mario, but I realize that there are MANY that are. There are a few upcoming third party titles for the system as well, so isn't it the best of both worlds in a sense? (I know it's still missing a large amount of western 3rd parties, but you get my point :p)

After that many years, it's fine to go back for nostalgia titles once in a while but not on year to year basis. And on console after console. The novelty wears off otherwise and fatigue sets in. This goes for all console and publishing houses. I really hope we don't see too many repeat titles from this gen on next-gen consoles.

Chemo

Not at all. Wind Waker HD somehow looks even worse than the original, the colors are horrendous now.

Call me when they make Super Mario Sunshine HD, though... as long as they don't mess up the colors.

delta25

Banned
Its clear that Nintendo is heading in the same direction they followed with 3DS in regards to strategies for improved sales and popularity. Come E3 I wouldn't be surprised to see a price drop announcement with an ambassador program like incentive for early adopters.

jrDev

Now THESE are the types of games I can get excited for. New IP's. Sure, you have sequels, but you also have fresh ideas and stories. I see the Nintendo lineup and see Mario, Zelda remake, Yoshi, JRPG.....I'm done with them.

So you can't have fresh ideas and use known IPs? Plus most of that list were sequels, are you blind? BTW you are delusional if you think quite a number of those things listed will be materialized. Agni's Philosphy, Mirrors Edge 2? Are you serious man?

Top Bottom