• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

VXLbeast

Nintendo Direct sold me. I never thought it would, but it has. SMT and Fire Emblem are two of my favorite franchises. It's like Nintendo was making this for me.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. That's it. I saw that and I was like "God damn it. Well, now I have to get a Wii U." Also once the mech showed up in that Monolith game trailer it sold me even more. Now to just wait for a good sale and I'm gonna buy one.

Marz

I'm gonna get the system regardless if only for Smash Bros but this was definitely a day were my eagerness to get it jumped which hasn't happened in a while.

Hero

Reddit seemed to have a meltdown over Wind Waker remake.

Come on now, he isn't trolling, he is making a reasonable assessment of the current situation of the Wii U.

I see that you're a junior and you joined in December, a month where Baconsammy was banned for previous shenanigans. There is a difference between opinion and fact. If you need further convincing of his trolling, just go into the FE demo thread where he says games like it are "dime-a-dozen" on iOS and when asked which games he's talking about he just links to a 20 page thread on GAF where there's maybe 20 games in the strategy genre and the only one that looks remotely like Fire Emblem isn't even available on the App Store anymore because of it's blatant rip-off.

p0rk1ns

Q-Games
I'm 'once bitten, twice shy' regarding Nintendo consoles these days, but I have to admit that last night's conference piqued my interest. SMT x FM could be interesting, and I'm always down to play more Smash.

But what was up with all the Wind Waker HD gushing on my Twitter timeline last night? I enjoyed WW, but I don't remember it getting that much love back in the day.

I'm 'once bitten, twice shy' regarding Nintendo consoles these days, but I have to admit that last night's conference piqued my interest. SMT x FM could be interesting, and I'm always down to play more Smash.

But what was up with all the Wind Waker HD gushing on my Twitter timeline last night? I enjoyed WW, but I don't remember it getting that much love back in the day.

That's something called the 'Zelda Cycle'. The most recently released game is the worst one ever, while the older titles become more and more loved (Zelda 2 being the exception). It is fascinating to watch.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to jump in at some point soon. I've been wanting to play NSMBU, but the rest of these announcements really sealed the deal for me. I'm confident I'll have a lot of good stuff to play on it.

That, and the fact that my Wii is on its last leg...

Why is this news making people want to buy consoles today when the earliest one of these games will be out is Fall 2013, with most of them very likely being 2014 or 15? The price for these things will be $149 or $199 by the time any of the games people want for it actually come out.

Why is this news making people want to buy consoles today when the earliest one of these games will be out is Fall 2013, with most of them very likely being 2014 or 15? The price for these things will be $149 or $199 by the time any of the games people want for it actually come out.

I think you're interpreting "intent to buy" as "have to buy right this moment".

DRG

Neo Member
These new announcements are at least putting the system back on my radar. I'll probably pick one up in 2014.

Tofa7

Banned
Up until now I wasn't convinced that the console would be worth it.

But! From what it looks like Nintendo has infinitely more good exclusives coming out soon than the PS4 or 720 are likely to have in their first year combined. If you want any good exclusive games from now until the the end of 2014, Nintendo is the way to go. Sure it's too early for Sony and Microsoft to be announcing stuff, but it's next to impossible for them to get their first party studios to match this quantity/quality of games, they don't have enough IPs or developers..

If you're still saying no to Wii U after all these games are released, you either just hate Nintendo or have a really strange taste in games, because they have almost every genre covered here. The exclusives alone will be worth a purchase IMO.

Concept17

Mario and Zelda games do not interest me, and neither does any alternate control mechanism. Never say never, but I doubt Wii U ever gets on my radar.

Yup. I don't see these announcements exciting very many people outside of a small niche and Japanese gamers. Everyone already expects new Mario, Zelda, etc so they come as no surprise. And you're not going to see the same numbers for these games like they got on the wii. The wii u is not super hyped like the wii was and the generAl confusion, terrible marketing, and lack of 3rd party support remain the systems biggest problems.

I was always gonna buy one, but now it might be a bit sooner.

Still gonna wait a while though, hopefully another sku will pop up in the meantime.

Has there been any talk of release dates? I have no idea when any of these games are coming out.

Jonm1010

Banned
Will i go out and buy one this year?

No

I do think it's convinced me that I will eventually buy it down the road when the price comes down and some of the games I want make their greatest hits list and come down. Just like with the wii and GameCube. Though did anyone really think these games weren't completely obvious? New Mario, Zelda, smash brothers and Mario kart is pretty much a generational given. Had they announced something like a new f-zero, pilot wings, wave race and a bunch of unexpected third party exclusives or original properties u would have been shocked.

Nintendo has unfortunately not done enough to change my mind on rolling with my PC and then snatching up one or both of the next gen platforms from Sony and Microsoft later this year. And as a piece of hardware I'm not impressed. 3rd party support looks to be a desert in a couple years(pretty much already is unfortunately) and I'm actually on the fence with whether I like the updated wind waker look or not.

Went from maybe to probably at the end of this year. Wind Waker HD and Xenoblade 2 are what sold me (I'm assuming both are coming out this year), Yoshi was a surprisingly disappointing reveal for me.

Has there been any talk of release dates? I have no idea when any of these games are coming out.

No, other than Wind Waker, which they've announced for before end of 2013. They should be able to spit out the Yoshi game pretty easily as it's 2d, but the rest of these have no chance of coming out this year and most likely will be late 2014 or 2015. Something like Zelda probably won't even hit until 2016.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Price cut and Retro's new title might be enough for me after these most recent announcements.

Bullza2o

Man I am having a difficult time deciding how I should use my $200 Amazon credits.

The FE demo made me really excited for the game, so I was planning on getting it on launch day. I was also planning to use the money for Animal Crossing, Pokemon X and Y, and Soul Sacrifice for Vita...

Until today when I watched the Wii U Nintendo Direct. Now I'm being even more tempted to get a Wii U sooner. Gahhh!

Instro

Well I already bought it, but the announcements are certainly exciting. I can't imagine it doing much for people in the short term, but it seems like a lot people are ready to get on board down the road once a few of these games release. Nintendo is really doing themselves a favor with the crossover stuff too, it's the kind of thing that gets all sorts of fans excited and it helps bring interesting 3rd party exclusives to the platform that might not normally show up.

It has convinced me to buy one.......eventually.

Excitement set in immediately just by seeing Miiverse drawings, as I love Letterbox on the 3DS. Then I see stuff like Monoliths game and Wind Waker and I really did almost run to the supermarket and buy a Wii U there and then.

But then reality sets in as I remind myself that at the moment, only ZombiU of the current crop of games interests me, and most of the stuff shown yesterday is a fair ways off yet.

So yeah, I want a WiiU, but I may as well hang on to my money for now.

Marz

Will i go out and buy one this year?

No

I do think it's convinced me that I will eventually buy it down the road when the price comes down and some of the games I want make their greatest hits list and come down. Just like with the wii and GameCube. Though did anyone really think these games weren't completely obvious? New Mario, Zelda, smash brothers and Mario kart is pretty much a generational given. Had they announced something like a new f-zero, pilot wings, wave race and a bunch of unexpected third party exclusives or original properties u would have been shocked.

Nintendo has unfortunately not done enough to change my mind on rolling with my PC and then snatching up one or both of the next gen platforms from Sony and Microsoft later this year. And as a piece of hardware I'm not impressed. 3rd party support looks to be a desert in a couple years(pretty much already is unfortunately) and I'm actually on the fence with whether I like the updated wind waker look or not.

A crossover with SMT and Fire Emblem is completely obvious? Epic large scale western style RPG with robots and dinosaurs obvious? I will agree that this system is going to be for people who like Japanese style games but cmon man.

No, other than Wind Waker, which they've announced for before end of 2013. They should be able to spit out the Yoshi game pretty easily as it's 2d, but the rest of these have no chance of coming out this year and most likely will be late 2014 or 2015. Something like Zelda probably won't even hit until 2016.

Monolith finished Xenoblade like 3 or 4 years ago I'm pretty sure they haven't just been twiddling their thumbs, Smash Bros is being co-developed by Namco to speed up the development process, Mario Karts usually get churned out pretty quick... highly doubt any of these are slipping into 2016. Don't even think Zelda will be 2015. Nintendo knows its up to them to support this system.

Redhood

Not yet! But Bayonetta, Super 101 and Pikmin 3 do look good. Just get this number upto 10 and i will buy. Rest all the mario and zelda stuff is meh!

Monolith finished Xenoblade like 3 or 4 years ago I'm pretty sure they haven't just been twiddling their thumbs, Smash Bros is being co-developed by Namco to speed up the development process, Mario Karts usually get churned out pretty quick... highly doubt any of these are slipping into 2016. Don't even think Zelda will be 2015. Nintendo knows its up to them to support this system.

Smash Bros and Mario Kart will probably come out first half of 2014. You won't see either one this year. I'm going to be amazed if they actually get Wind Waker out on time without delaying. Wind Waker and Yoshi will be their fall lineup with a high probability of maybe a Wii U Sports. Mario will be Fall 2014. Zelda is late 2015 at the earliest. They even said in the video it's a long way off and that's why they are throwing together a hd remake of Wind Waker. I can almost bet it will be 2016. Xenoblade 2 or whatever will probably be late 2014.

Man I am having a difficult time deciding how I should use my $200 Amazon credits.

The FE demo made me really excited for the game, so I was planning on getting it on launch day. I was also planning to use the money for Animal Crossing, Pokemon X and Y, and Soul Sacrifice for Vita...

Until today when I watched the Wii U Nintendo Direct. Now I'm being even more tempted to get a Wii U sooner. Gahhh!

Might not want to get FE from Amazon. They're still listing "manufacturing problems" on their website as a possible reason that they won't be able to deliver it on time.

fallagin

Yeah they convinced me, might not get it tomorrow, but when these games get released, there is a strong chance of a wiiu purchase.

Not yet as there aren't any games I'd want to play. I absolutely love Windwaker but I don't think I could justify purchasing a new system for a HD remake.

Played a Wii U though so I've seen the potential of the screen in the controller.

Jamix012

Several people have said in this thread that they intend to go out and buy one immediately based on this news in the thread. It really makes no sense.

When I get money I will buy one immediately. Why? Well there are games I would enjoy right now that would otherwise on their own not warrant a purchase of an entire console, but with news of upcoming games that DO warrant a purchase I may as well get one now so I can enjoy the games that are out now before the others come out. If there's a price drop before WW HD comes out then I may be a little annoyed but I might get ambassador games which, for the 3DS, were in my opinion more than worth the extra money for adoption.

They seem happy to wait until E3 to show me a lot of their substance, no reason I shouldn't wait too. It would be nice if a price drop occurred in the meantime, but I admit, if the software looks good enough to me, and release date approaches close enough, I'll probably give in.

I'm interested in Wonderful 101, but unfortunately not enough to pick up the console as it is. And it's still some time away, anyway.

Yeah, the $0.30 Balloon Fight sold me.

I wish I were kidding. God, do I wish I were kidding.

NES, Animal Crossing, e-Reader, Classic NES Series for GBA, Virtual Console Wii, 3DS Ambassador...

I wonder how many times they've sold they exact same game ROM file to some people, limited only by their platform restrictions.

Wiki tells me there were other ports of the original, but I was sticking to a singular version. I didn't even count "Tingle's Balloon Fight", since that's a unique modification.

Really, all the WiiU has right now that I badly want to play is ZombiU.

No worries. I'm certain I'll pick one up in a year or two, when its exclusives are more enticing.

EDIT: Doh how did I forget about Pikmin 3?!

A few more exclusive games of that caliber and I'll bite the bullet, sure. Though not many games are on the level of Pikmin, IMO.

Gustav

Banned
Already got one. Out of the things announced, only the new Mario game interests me. I know I'll buy the Zelda remake but will only play it for a couple hours. Like with every Zelda game I played.

Little disappointed. Hope some quirky Wii game type stuff gets announced soon. Think Another Code R.

Stark

Banned
Just like with the Wii, I will buy it once the Monolith Soft title releases. SMT x FE was icing on the cake.

The only thing stopping me is financial issues, though.

Not AT ALL. I think people are crazy. Right now the wii u is the promise of gamecube in HD.

Pikmin and WW are great, but i'm not buying a console for it.

watershed

Banned
I generally love Nintendo stuff and bought the 3ds almost purely for games that wouldn't be released in the launch window. But even with all these new Wii U games I'm not gonna buy one until the price is reduced or there are several great games available now and I have the time to actually play them.

Not yet, they still need to show something else before they convince me. A couple of years ago I wasn't sure about Wii U, now I actually want them to present new stuff, the console itself is intriguing to me, but so far it's not enough.

Radec

Nope.

When Bayo 2 was announced i thought i can spare some. But with Next Gren just months away, id rather get those.

Not at all, but Capcom convinced me to find a low priced badly used Wii U off some unsavory website that I will then use for Monster hunter.

I'll pay no more than $150

Soule

Hasn't made any real difference, still not interested in Wii U. First Nintendo home console that I won't have as my main gaming system but I think my taste has changed so I don't feel too bad about it, still a bit bitter about my experience with the Wii.

What the recent news has done is put the Wii U back on my radar a bit, was completely uninterested but SMT x FE sounds pretty cool and X looks like it has potential, but if they were to make a proper F-Zero game that would be the tonic to cure what ails me.

Top Bottom