• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

one_kill

If the Nintendo Direct would of been different and not mentioned those games in the pipeline people would of been pissed and going crazy. Now they have done so people are still pissed.
I agree. It's amazing that people can be pissed about games being announced just because they don't have fucking release dates.

What are we, Gaf? Ten year olds?

Crom

I agree. It's amazing that people can be pissed about games being announced just because they don't have fucking release dates.

For real.

We know that games like

Zelda Windwaker
Wonderful 101
Lego City
Monster Hunter
Rayman
Resident Evil Revelations
Wario Ware
Pikmin 3

are coming out this year

while games like

Yoshi
Mario Kart
Xenoblade

have a good chance of making it out this year.

We will find out at E3

Westlo

Lmao @ the new xenoblade making it out this year. Check when it came out in Japan, now check how long it took to be releases in Europe, finally what was the USA release date?

Xenoblade, fe x megaten are stuff we should be lucky to get before 2015.....

lednerg

My cousin stayed over during the holidays for a week and he brought his Wii U. I was a lot more impressed with it than I was expecting. Even just being able to switch back and forth between a game and the other apps was pretty damn cool. We were collecting all the Star Coins in Mario and would switch back to the browser with a page describing the hidden locations. It worked brilliantly; maybe the load time between apps could've been quicker, but it wasn't unbearable and they're addressing that in the next batch of firmware anyway.

The other game we played a lot was ZombiU. That shit was addictive. In my advanced age, I find I have precious little time to spend on single-player adventure titles anymore. But the way ZombiU is set up, I could play for an hour or so and not even advance that much, but still have a good time trying to survive as long as possible with one character. That's important to me, being able to jump into the game and have fun instead of having to keep track of some poorly-written, overly-complicated story just to understand what I have to do next. I also loved the way the gamepad was utilized, giving a palpable sense of immersion and tension I haven't experienced before in a game. There were a couple things I'd change, like having to click on each object just to scan it, but overall, I came away very impressed.

As far as this past Nintendo Direct went, I'm pretty psyched. It sounds like Zelda is going back to its roots as a free-roaming adventure title, instead of the linear quest of the past few titles. I'd like to be able to just screw around and go at my own pace and direction instead of being trapped in a narrative. The Yoshi game looks gorgeous, and since the director of the originals is supervising, I'm not too worried about it being as simple/easy as Kirby's Epic Yarn was. I was already anticipating W101, and now it's looking even better. Good to hear that we'll be seeing a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash at E3 - hopefully that means a 2013 release for at least one of those. I don't necessarily care about WWHD, Bayonetta 2, or the others, but I'm happy for those who do.

So am I getting a Wii U? Yeah, probably in the coming year. I'm really not interested in the other next gen boxes, no matter the rumored specs and the hype. I like Nintendo's games and their philosophy about keeping game development a self-sustainable enterprise, rather than something that's mainly just profitable for the mega-conglomerates who can afford it. I really couldn't care less if Wii U doesn't get all of the 3rd party ports out there, as long as it gets better support than the Wii did (which already seems to be the case), I'm good. I don't want to go the multi-console route again.

Comet

"X" did it for me, and also hearing how they're really trying to change Zelda, that is very refreshing for me to hear Nintendo admit the staleness of a great property. I'll be buying a Wii U for sure, just not anytime soon since none of the games that interest me are out yet. I'm not going to buy one just to play NSMBU. So I can see myself getting one around Fall or in the Summer.

Also, if you live in Europe, you may see a large delay on getting Yoshi, if Kirby's Epic Yarn is anything to go by. We had to wait four months for that. Mario Kart has to be the title most likely to make it for Christmas. It's the biggest game they have that appeals to families.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lmao @ the new xenoblade making it out this year. Check when it came out in Japan, now check how long it took to be releases in Europe, finally what was the USA release date?

Xenoblade, fe x megaten are stuff we should be lucky to get before 2015.....

Or look at Disaster Day of Crisis that was revealed at the beginning but wasn't released until 2008. Not the speediest of developers.

Also, if you live in Europe, you may see a large delay on getting Yoshi, if Kirby's Epic Yarn is anything to go by. We had to wait four months for that. Mario Kart has to be the title most likely to make it for Christmas. It's the biggest game they have that appeals to families.

Why are you comparing a Yoshi game with a Kirby game? We always get Kirby games late. We didn't even celebrate his birthday.

Huff

Banned
It really isn't as ridiculous a position as you might think. Improvement over the status quo doesn't automatically turn the dial from "bad" to "good." if one's concern was the 6-9 month pipeline, this really won't have assuaged them. If the concern was "I want great stuff in the next year," this probably won't help all that much (though we don't know), because there are no dates.

It's nice to have stuff to look forward to, but conceding that and lamenting that the good stuff is still a ways off isn't some "having your cake and eating it too" position.

Always so level headed Steve.

Go ahead. You probably never owned a Wii U in the first place. Just took the controller out to play with it, register a nnid and boxed it back up lol

Are accusations about whether someone has owned a console really necessary?

kewlmyc

I was already going to get one for Bayonetta 2, but Wind Waker HD, SMT X Fire Emblem, and the new Smash Bros have really sold me on the system.

Futureman

I think I'm gonna buy a Wii U tonight.... not necessarily because of the Nintendo Direct, that was definitely nice seeing some stuff that's coming, but more because I'm a massive Nintendo fan.

so I have 0 wii-motes... should I get a Wii-Mote plus, or does it not matter so much? For a good bit, I'm sure the only use the Wii-motes will get is NintendoLand multiplayer.

I think I'm gonna buy a Wii U tonight.... not necessarily because of the Nintendo Direct, that was definitely nice seeing some stuff that's coming, but more because I'm a massive Nintendo fan.

so I have 0 wii-motes... should I get a Wii-Mote plus, or does it not matter so much? For a good bit, I'm sure the only use the Wii-motes will get is NintendoLand multiplayer.

Well, you'll need two WiiMotes (I'd recommend Pluses) for Mario, as you can't use the GamePad in multiplayer if you're interested in that. You'll need them for any multiplayer NintendoLand stuff. Aside from that, you'll have to have one to do any Wii stuff.

If your question was in reference to whether or not a regular, non-plus WiiMote will do the trick, I'd caution against it unless the price is just too good. The regular old WiiMotes work just fine for New Super Mario and some of the NintendoLand stuff, but other NintendoLand games require Motion Plus.

well if there is stuff in NSMBU and NL that require +.... then I'll just get two +'s. Thanks Stevie.

Just for clarification, NSMBU doesn't require Plus, but some NintendoLand stuff does. The main thing I was noting about NSMBU was just that if you haven't been following that situation closely, you'd probably assume that one WiiMote and a GamePad is enough for 2 player co-op, and that's sadly not the case. As soon as you switch it out of single player, the GamePad can only be used for "Boost" mode (where you can tap the screen to create platforms and whatnot).

Futureman

ok... so I have two roommates... I figured Wii U-pad + 2 wii-motes would let us all play... not the case? Ha.

well I'm more interested in NL multiplayer anyways.... U-pad and two +'s will be good for that?

Maybe I'll just find a used Wii-mote if I really want to do 3 player NSMBU.

Crom

ok... so I have two roommates... I figured Wii U-pad + 2 wii-motes would let us all play... not the case? Ha.

well I'm more interested in NL multiplayer anyways.... U-pad and two +'s will be good for that?

Maybe I'll just find a used Wii-mote if I really want to do 3 player NSMBU.

Sometimes you can find Fling Smash or Wii Play Motion for $15 They come with the motion Wii-Motes cheaper than you can get them used.

Zero interest in the entire First Party Nintendo IPs, as has been the case for years now.

So right now my eyes are on:

- X
- Bayo 2

And those won't cut it by themselves. I'm sure there will be a point down the line where the price intersects nicely with enough third party stuff and I'll bite.

But can we please stop pretending that ANYTHING on that lineup is surprising? (With the sole exception of Shin Megami Tensei being brought in with Fire Emblem.)

Übermatik;46843382 said:
What, seriously? You bought a Wii U and you're now selling it?

I'm pretty sure he's making fun of that Edge article. If not...uh...

Zero interest in the entire First Party Nintendo IPs, as has been the case for years now.

So right now my eyes are on:

- X
- Bayo 2

And those won't cut it by themselves. I'm sure there will be a point down the line where the price intersects nicely with enough third party stuff and I'll bite.

But can we please stop pretending that ANYTHING on that lineup is surprising? (With the sole exception of Shin Megami Tensei being brought in with Fire Emblem.)

X is first party. ;)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Are accusations about whether someone has owned a console really necessary?
It's not because such accusations can obviously be false. All boards on the internet would benefit a lot from a system a la miiverse, showing if people bashing a product really own it or not. Nintendo did it right, it definitely helps put some posts into perspective. Could GAF request members to provide their network ID in few years from now? I don't know. What seems absurd now could evolve into this. Look at how Facebook identification has spread.

It's not because such accusations can obviously be false. All boards on the internet would benefit a lot from a system a la miiverse, showing if people bashing a product really own it or not. Nintendo did it right, it definitely helps put some posts into perspective. Could GAF request members to provide their network ID in few years from now? I don't know. What seems absurde could evolve into this. Look at how Facebook identification has spread.

This has to be a joke. Tagging gamers to determine if we should give a damn about their opinion?

Will the WiiU get the 3rd party games ps4/720 will get?

That could convince me.

All signs point to no. But you can never say never. I just wouldn't bet on it happening given Nintendo's history.

LOL Now we're accusing people? I can't wait for E3 and the meltdowns.
$350+. Who spends that kind of money on a Nintendo system and sells it a few months before E3 after major reveals? Easy to understand if either you never owned it or intended to buy a PS4/720 instead

OryoN

Warning!: high levels of trollium detected!

My plan was to purchase Wii U when at least one game I must have is out, and also when I'm convinced a fairly steady streams of games will be coming out from the initial point of purchase.

While there are a few decent games out now that I'd like to get the chance to play someday, I'd consider them more like icing rather than the cake. The must-have for me - my "cake" - will likely take the form of Rayman Legends, followed very shortly by Pikmin 3.

From that point, I believe the stream of games should be steady enough for me to be thoroughly satisfied and busy with my Wii U. I'm not going to hold Wii U up against impossible 1st-year console standards, stating that all the games that peak my interest must be available all at once, as though current consoles early library was anything to write home about.

While I wait between killer releases like The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 - and whatever else may hit the console this year - I'll take time to enjoy the little goodies - the "icing" - like E-shop games, virtual console titles and various decent games that fell short of my must-have standard(via sales, hopefully).

This is the most patient and calculated I've been about a new console, but my wait is almost complete. Lord willing, I'll be a happy Wii U owner very, very soon. :)

I've been almost convinced. I have some questions that I hope you guys are willing to help me with. My being absent from the gaming forum for some years will probably mean all this info has been covered and I just haven't found it, so please bear with me. Most of them have to do with me selling my Wii and all its accessories to cover some of the cost of a Wii U.

1. Will all Wii games be compatible on the Wii U?
2. Does any version of the Wii U come with a remote? Should I keep my Wii ones (non Motion+) or should I buy new ones?
3. Is the Wii Classic Controller worth hanging on to or should I get the new Pro ones?
4. Is there any hope that a Wii U homebrew solution will be found? Backing up all my games to disks helped a lot in my enjoyment of the Wii (I could switch quickly between games when playing with my wife or friends, all while de-cluttering my TV space).
5. Will I have to repurchase all my GameCube games? What will the prices be like?

Thanks yall.

It's amazing that people are so apologetic towards Nintendo. They simply confirmed a new Mario and Mario Kart with no details. Are we supposed to go gaga over that?

Fandangox

I've been almost convinced. I have some questions that I hope you guys are willing to help me with. My being absent from the gaming forum for some years will probably mean all this info has been covered and I just haven't found it, so please bear with me. Most of them have to do with me selling my Wii and all its accessories to cover some of the cost of a Wii U.

1. Will all Wii games be compatible on the Wii U? As far as I know, yes.
2. Does any version of the Wii U come with a remote? Should I keep my Wii ones (non Motion+) or should I buy new ones? There are no Wii Remotes including in the Wii U, it is better to keep your old remotes. You will probably want to get at least one Motion plus control though
3. Is the Wii Classic Controller worth hanging on to or should I get the new Pro ones? I believe it is still compatible, so yeah
4. Is there any hope that a Wii U homebrew solution will be found? Backing up all my games to disks helped a lot in my enjoyment of the Wii (I could switch quickly between games when playing with my wife or friends, all while de-cluttering my TV space). Wii Mode in the Wii U has Homebrew, but I don't know if it has the full functionality of the old one.
5. Will I have to repurchase all my GameCube games? What will the prices be like?
GameCube games are not compatible On Wii U. So if they are Virtual Console releases you will have to buy them again.
Thanks yall.

1. Will all Wii games be compatible on the Wii U?

I don't like answering questions like this definitively, because it always opens the door for some random title I don't know of to be cited, but to my knowledge, there's basically Wii hardware as part of the tech, and Wii compatibility works basically in Wii mode. So, everything should work.

2. Does any version of the Wii U come with a remote? Should I keep my Wii ones (non Motion+) or should I buy new ones?

No bundle I'm aware of (certainly not stateside) comes with a Wiimote. Personally, unless you're getting decent trade-in, I'd keep the old ones. I have mine on hand for any multiplayer that doesn't require Motion + (I have two Motion + Wiimotes and two regular).

3. Is the Wii Classic Controller worth hanging on to or should I get the new Pro ones?

Well, the Pro won't work in Wii mode. Aside from that, I'd say it's a comfort thing. I'm fine with my old Classic controllers. They work, and they're not $50. But if you really want a controller that feels more like a 360 controller, then by all means, go Pro. I just don't know that it's necessary for anything, and be aware there's no motion tech in there (won't work with Mario, for instance).

4. Is there any hope that a Wii U homebrew solution will be found? Backing up all my games to disks helped a lot in my enjoyment of the Wii (I could switch quickly between games when playing with my wife or friends, all while de-cluttering my TV space).

There's hope, certainly. But it would be irresponsible to suggest anything definitive at this stage. As it stands, some of the hacking guys seem to have already made some progress on getting at the Wii U, but I don't follow the scene closely enough to really understand the specifics. For what it's worth, I understand that the old Wii hacks still work on the Wii U in Wii mode.

There's no Gamecube compatibility, so if you must have Gamecube games on the Wii U, it'll have to be through these Wind Waker-esque HD remakes. Is it possible to just get straight emulation via the Virtual Console of Cube games? Perhaps. Although the lack of analog triggers could prove problematic on that front.

As for the Wind Waker price, I don't think anything is known yet. Though I suspect it's going to be more budget priced than full MSRP. We'll see though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
To be honest. The recent video has sort of made me regret getting a WiiU.

Best case scenario is that we 'might' get a new 3D Mario and MarioKart this year at Xmas. And the new Zelda isn't going to be out until at least 2014.

So really. I don't really have a great reason for owning this machine right now.

Thanks guys. That's all very helpful.

I noticed both of you use the term Wii mode, which I take to mean that you have to boot up the machine specifically for that purpose? And in that mode neither the new gamepad or pro controller work?

is there any difference at all in the Wii U remote controller and the Wii Motion Plus remote controller or are they one to one compatible?

gblues

Banned
I'm a sucker for Nintendo, so I was always going to get one eventually. Right now the only thing holding me back is the cost, and even that has more to do with being unemployed than anything else. Well, that and waiting to see what the softmod scene comes up with so I can fully retire my Wii. cfgLoader has spoiled me!

Hale-XF11

The recent Nintendo Direct solidified my position to hold off for a while. Probably like even a year or more before I consider getting one.

Fandangox

Thanks guys. That's all very helpful.

I noticed both of you use the term Wii mode, which I take to mean that you have to boot up the machine specifically for that purpose? And in that mode neither the new gamepad or pro controller work?

is there any difference at all in the Wii U remote controller and the Wii Motion Plus remote controller or are they one to one compatible?

"Wii Mode" is a Channel in in Wii U. Once you enter it The Wii U basically boots itself as a Wii. At that point the Gamepad or other Wii U-only controls won't work.

The Wii U has no "remote" control if you mean the wiimotes. It utilizes the Wii Ones which are fully compatible. Gamepad And Wii U controller Pro won't be compatible on Wii mode.

Also if you haven't sold your wii yet, you can transfer all your data to the Wii U. It will leave your Wii empty, and you cannot transfer back though.

Yeah. There's a Wii option in the Wii U menu that, when selected, basically reboots the machine so that it's essentially a Wii at this point, and no Wii U specific accessories (the GamePad and Pro controller would fall in this category) do not work.

Edit: beaten. And yeah, just to needlessly reiterate Fandangox's response, the Wiimotes used on the Wii U are just the old Wii Wiimotes. So, in that regard, when you go to the store, you don't have to worry about buying the right Wiimote.

farnham

Banned

Buy wii play motion.. Its dirt cheap and comes with a free wiimoteplus. Aside of that wii sports resort has a wii motion plus packed in (in japan they have a wii moteplus). Both games are worth it (especially wii sports resort)

So my gamepad has been broken now for a week. I sat on it like an idiot and cracked the screen.

The touch screen still works, just no video. 95 dollars for Nintendo to fix/replace which I am fine with paying as it was my fault.

The thing is, after going back to gaming without a pad, no browser to quickly reference and having to switch inputs REALLY sucks! I can't wait for them to fix it. Does anybody have any experience and know what the turn around times are?

Top Bottom