• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Will the WiiU get the 3rd party games ps4/720 will get?

That could convince me.

No one knows, probably not. Why though? Going by this gen, you will get most 3rd party games on several platforms, so exclusive content should be more valuable. It's not like you will ever cover most games with only one platform.

To be honest. The recent video has sort of made me regret getting a WiiU.

Best case scenario is that we 'might' get a new 3D Mario and MarioKart this year at Xmas. And the new Zelda isn't going to be out until at least 2014.

So really. I don't really have a great reason for owning this machine right now.

Why would you buy one for Zelda, if SS just came out and that one took 5 years to make?

tEhLoNeR

Neo Member
I've been almost convinced. I have some questions that I hope you guys are willing to help me with. My being absent from the gaming forum for some years will probably mean all this info has been covered and I just haven't found it, so please bear with me. Most of them have to do with me selling my Wii and all its accessories to cover some of the cost of a Wii U.

1. Will all Wii games be compatible on the Wii U?
2. Does any version of the Wii U come with a remote? Should I keep my Wii ones (non Motion+) or should I buy new ones?
3. Is the Wii Classic Controller worth hanging on to or should I get the new Pro ones?
4. Is there any hope that a Wii U homebrew solution will be found? Backing up all my games to disks helped a lot in my enjoyment of the Wii (I could switch quickly between games when playing with my wife or friends, all while de-cluttering my TV space).
5. Will I have to repurchase all my GameCube games? What will the prices be like?

Thanks yall.

3)keep if for wii mode, you cant use the pro ones for your VC games until Nintendo ports them over to the wii u side
4) You can do everything you've done in the Wii except the following:
GC games
Wii themes
Priiloader
Bootmii
More or less anything that will mess with the system menu
I'd give you links.... but you can google for that ;)
fair warning, if you're going to back up your games on a hard drive, prepare for that annoying prompt everytime you turn on your wii u if you want to format it

Gadirok

I'm pretty much convinced but will wait until the release of these games and until its a bit cheaper, or a revision comes out.

Does anyone have a link to the nintendo direct video? I missed the stream.

Hattori

Banned
I'm pretty much convinced but will wait until the release of these games and until its a bit cheaper, or a revision comes out.

Does anyone have a link to the nintendo direct video? I missed the stream.
Just go to Nintendo's youtube channel, they have it uploaded

Apath

If anyone isn't convinced now, then they weren't going to buy one to begin with (which is perfectly fine).
I don't understand why this has to be the case. It's not like they showed us any footage of the new SSB, Mario, MarioKart, or Zelda. And it's a given that all of those would be released on the system. The only announced title that interests me is Wind Waker HD, but it's not enough to convince me to buy the system.

Giolon

I bought one last week for Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge. I don't regret it, but I do feel a little dirty spending $300 on a console for (currently) 1 game.

Game is awesome btw. Team Ninja did a great job fixing up most of their stupid shit from the original release.

smr00

Banned
Bought one on launch so i guess? I buy every console at launch, i don't really need convincing... It being a new system is all the convincing i need.

LakeEarth

To answer the title question, not yet convinced. But my gf recently saw the NSMB game on display at EB and fell in love, so she might end up doing the convincing.

May I ask why could someone prefer a capacity screen instead of the one included? Multitouch when you have plenty of buttons is not necessary at all, and in expense of that, you get a much more precise device. The only problem I could think BEFORE having the WiiU was that because of being resistive, it would be less sensitive to my hand and that the pen would be mandatory.
But this screen is really sensitive, much more than the 3DS or the DSi one, it's really like a capacitive screen in that regard, without multitouch, but with a much better precision.
It's a shame that I'm really bad at drawing U_U

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
With Windwaker HD coming this year, I'm extremely tempted to jump on a purchase earlier than expected. I remember that I bought a Wii a couple months before Brawl released, but if Nintendo is able to churn out around maybe 2 more titles I'm interested in for the latter half of this year, count me in.

So my gamepad has been broken now for a week. I sat on it like an idiot and cracked the screen.

The touch screen still works, just no video. 95 dollars for Nintendo to fix/replace which I am fine with paying as it was my fault.

The thing is, after going back to gaming without a pad, no browser to quickly reference and having to switch inputs REALLY sucks! I can't wait for them to fix it. Does anybody have any experience and know what the turn around times are?

Metroid In A Glass Tube
Metroid With A Cracked U

Varna

They have, but it was never really a hard sell for me. I knew I would eventually get it. I don't want to, but there will be enough exclusives to justify it in a couple of years after a price drop or two.

Jado

Banned
The ability to draw accurately. You give that up with current capacitive tech.

There are plenty of capacitive screens with digitizers that allow accurate drawing (see Samsung's Note line of products as just one example). Nintendo took the (very) cheap route with its controller.

I'm passing on a Nintendo console for the first time ever. The price is too high, the tech is old and disappointing as hell, and the games are nonexistent -- with the predictable franchises coming no time soon.

yep, status changed from "most likely not buying any next gen console" to "maybe for a cheap price after some more software* is available"

*more metroid, zelda & mario :)

Not totally convinced, but I'm considering it a bit more. I'll still probably wait for a price drop, and hopefully they'll iron out some of the issues like account management and OS performance by that time.

dwu8991

Banned
So my gamepad has been broken now for a week. I sat on it like an idiot and cracked the screen.

The touch screen still works, just no video. 95 dollars for Nintendo to fix/replace which I am fine with paying as it was my fault.

The thing is, after going back to gaming without a pad, no browser to quickly reference and having to switch inputs REALLY sucks! I can't wait for them to fix it. Does anybody have any experience and know what the turn around times are?

I almost did the same thing while couching !!!

Luckily, I had put the controller to the side. Phew, otherwise it would've cost me a lot of money !

DocStar

Neo Member
I bought one last week for Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge. I don't regret it, but I do feel a little dirty spending $300 on a console for (currently) 1 game.

Game is awesome btw. Team Ninja did a great job fixing up most of their stupid shit from the original release.

Sorry to discuss a other topic in this thread but do you have slowdowns? I especially have slowdonws when those rocketeer fuckers appear :/

I don't know if it's bad programming or my GPU already dying :(

KNT-Zero

For me, basically everything from the OP, except Wind Waker HD (whose original version still looks better in comparison) and the SMT x Fire Emblem thing, since I'm not too much of a fan of those.

But yeah, Bayonetta 2 at release date, I'm so there.

Friend wants to sell me his basic wii u, its still sealed for $200, Im not really interested in any of the games but I still might purchase it from him at this price, not sure.

While I personally think that $350 for the 32gb black deluxe version is a bit high, I still plan to get one soon. I think the games will be a lot better on the wii u than the wii for me.

Give Kamiya time to finish The Wonderful 101, ok?

image.php

nope. its a showcase without dates.

next gen zelda in probably 2015?

windwaker? already played it.

X. looked decent but who knows when that's coming.

just can't get excited about it. by the time E3 rolls around and we see PS4+X720 games, I know I probably won't care about wiiU.

Epcott

I'm warming up to buying one if only to play all the Wii games I missed out on, which should sustain me for half of the year.

But the lack of online mp in their first party games, questionable library forecast and localization have held me back from buying it.

I wish Nintendo Land and NSMBU had online multiplayer :(

Give Kamiya time to finish The Wonderful 101, ok?

Someone should tweet Kamiya and find out if he still loves Star Fox 64, maybe he's trying to get involved in a new Star Fox. He said he wanted Nintendo to come to Platinum and force them at gun point to make a new Star Fox ^_^
Unless Star Fox is the secret project Treasure is making for 3DS, but I really expect that to be Sin and Punishment, maybe a sequel to one of their older games or something all new. But then Nintendo could have them on a Wario game again haha

DaBuddaDa

Nintendo has not convinced me yet. When I can purchase a Wii U Deluxe for $300 or less and all of these announced games are sitting on shelves, for sale, ready to be put in and played, then I will purchase a Wii U.

Oxn

That ND really did nothing for me.

We always knew those games were coming but this is just them confirming it is coming. They had alot fooled with it.

With that said, I still will buy a Wii U. Just a matter of when. 2013? Highly likely NOT. Maybe 2014 when the deluxe model is in the 200-250 range.

And they have to fix that account system thing. That is a deal breaker.

Tiops

That Nintendo Direct really made me consider it. But I'll wait. First because I need to see what Sony and M$ will show us. And second, because the games that I'm really interested in will take some time to be released, so for now I'm still not buying it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
There are plenty of capacitive screens with digitizers that allow accurate drawing (see Samsung's Note line of products as just one example). Nintendo took the (very) cheap route with its controller.

I'm passing on a Nintendo console for the first time ever. The price is too high, the tech is old and disappointing as hell, and the games are nonexistent -- with the predictable franchises coming no time soon.

The original Note still sells for 200 bucks on contract. ( And I know it's a giant oligopoly fucking us all on cell phone prices, but still Nintendo would not be able to pull off a high res capacitive screen) Now I was a little let down by the screen, but overall the product is pretty solid for a toy.

Top Bottom