• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite Hype, VR Investment Fades In Q1 2017

Z3M0G

VR will suffer the same fate as 3D.

No one wants to wear shit on their face.

I can't say this is wrong, I just can't relate with it because I've been wearing glasses for 26 years. I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of people would be so against wearing something.

I suspect Active 3D (electronic glasses requiring batteries that were crazy expensive) did more harm to Home 3D... Paying $30-40 per pair of glasses was insane.

if it would have started with Passive 3D (uses same cheap plastic glasses as theaters) I think Home 3D would have been MUCH more viable. I don't believe people have a problem with wearing those...

When I hear people complain about 3D, they say they barely notice it, and likely can't justify the higher ticket price for that reason. They never complain about the glasses. They expect 3D stuff to be popping out at you the entire time, as if they were in some kind of amusement ride. But movies won't aim to do that... they will use 3D in subtle ways, which is only really effective for those that appreciate it. While most people say they don't notice it at all, when in reality they don't notice it because of how comfortable and subtle it is.

dr_rus

I can't say this is wrong, I just can't relate with it because I've been wearing glasses for 26 years. I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of people would be so against wearing something.

You wear glasses because they help you to see better. Both 3D and VR are the opposite of helping to see better. That's the biggest issue with them.

CEJames

You wear glasses because they help you to see better. Both 3D and VR are the opposite of helping to see better. That's the biggest issue with them.

Sure they can't help you see "better", but they both allow you to experience the same form of media from a totally different perspective.

I suspect Active 3D (electronic glasses requiring batteries that were crazy expensive) did more harm to Home 3D... Paying $30-40 per pair of glasses was insane.

if it would have started with Passive 3D (uses same cheap plastic glasses as theaters) I think Home 3D would have been MUCH more viable. I don't believe people have a problem with wearing those...

When I hear people complain about 3D, they say they barely notice it, and likely can't justify the higher ticket price for that reason. They never complain about the glasses. They expect 3D stuff to be popping out at you the entire time, as if they were in some kind of amusement ride. But movies won't aim to do that... they will use 3D in subtle ways, which is only really effective for those that appreciate it. While most people say they don't notice it at all, when in reality they don't notice it because of how comfortable and subtle it is.

I agree on active versus passive - I would also throw 4k into the mix. I have a passive 3D 4k screen and 3D blu-rays just look amazing on it. Each eye is getting 1080p which is good clarity and there is little crosstalk, no picture dimming and the glasses are light and cheap.

That said i came late to the 3D bandwagon and so the main reason I havent watched many 3d films is because not many good ones are/were made.

Try looking up 3d movie reviews and it's quite hard to find good websites and there are only like 10 films where reviewers think the 3D effects add something.

Gravity and the life of Pi are both amazing in 3D (passive at 4k!)

Tain

VR will NEVER be the main way to play videogames.

Will it be a viable experience platform, for theme parks and entertainment businesses? Sure.
Will it have professional work-related uses? Sure.
Will it work well in certain game settings? Sure.

It will survive. It will be a platform. It will improve.

But regardless of lighter headsets, better comfort, better virtual 'walking', higher resolution, lower cost -- it's simply more of an effort, and more of a bother to play games in VR than out of VR. It's not about immature technology. Playing epic, long traditional games in a virtual world is fatiguing.

The tech is here to stay. But it's better to accept it as an accessory and as a platform for other uses than to maintain that it will be the end platform for all gaming.

Why not accept it as a platform for certain flavors of gaming that will coexist with the other ways to play games (console, handheld, PC, etc) on top of having other uses?

Most VR enthusiasts that I've talked to don't think that VR will replace traditional gaming. I don't think I've seen more than a very small handful of people that argue otherwise.

Bolivar687

Banned
sOKhNjn.jpg

Harmen

I think VR does have quite some appeal to a crowd large enough to warrant a platform, but I think there are some major problems for VR at this point in time:

-Pricing of the platforms
-The lack of full games comparable to traditional gaming in terms of content and pricing
-The difficulty of marketing VR to those not in the possession of a VR device

I also think that competition between platforms may have some adverse effects on the VR market, with competitors eating way from each others userbase while VR is still in it's babysteps. Furthermore, the cheap cardboard/Gear-esque smartphone options are a neat novelty but are not up to expectations of the modern consumer (extremely blurry, very simple graphics, limited controls). I don't think they are very effective at luring in consumers to a premium device.

I really hope VR is here to stay, but I am worried that it won't come out of this initial phase as a healthy market and will dissapear into (further) obscurity instead. I can see it taking of for other applications than gaming, however (museums, training of certain professions, virtual tours in and around rendered concepts, theme park rides etc.).

yyr

The bolded is ridiculous. Gamescon polls showed as many devs working on VR as on PS4 and Pro (more than XBO).

I Googled but couldn't find the poll results you speak of.

More importantly, what does "working on" mean? Actually, actively working on projects that are planned for release? Or is it just a box that devs could check to show potential interest?

I have a hard time believing that so many devs are working on VR, considering the relatively low number of games announced.

This is needless handwringing. Of course you take into consideration that you'll be wearing a visor and headphones before you play. But you're not completely deaf and dumb to the world. Most thinking adults would reserve the VR for after the kids go to bed, or if they have the house to themselves. Or you do it together as a family and take turns.

All this what-iffing is just absurd. I mean, what if something catches on fire while you're in the shower or taking a shit? What if your spouse falls down the stairs while you're out mowing the lawn? What if your dog chokes on a chew toy while you're at the store? As a parent/caretaker, you have to anticipate potentially dangerous situations, but you can't fret over every little thing that could possibly happen. You'd never get anything done.

I'm a 'thinking adult' (very condescending) and I played my VR after hours. Yes, you're actually COMPLETELY deaf and dumb to the world. Doing it together as a family is kind of tough as most games tend to be single player. My family, personally, simply had little interest in the multiplayer games offered. The most fun was watching someone play Holoball or Job Simulator, but that got very old after a few minutes. When half of the family can't interact because of sickness, and the other half just doesn't seem interested in the hassle of first putting on the headset, then adjusting focus, then getting in the best position to play -- the experience became a chore because *I* was the one who had to do setup for each person. When someone has glasses, new scenario. Big hair? new scenario. It was tedious. PSVR isn't as simple as 'take turns'.

I started leaving the VR unused for days, only slipping away like some kind of cheater at night to get in a few rounds after my wife and daughter goes to bed. Then things happen like a light night call, or my daughter wakes up crying because she has to go potty or has a nightmare or or whatever and you can't hear it.

After a while i just realized that it wasn't worth it. The game that I most looked forward to, Star Trek, would require not only total immersion, but actual time to dedicate to my team to coordinate, and now, apparently, only late at night.

This just wouldn't do. So despite my deep love for trek (the main reason i bought PSVR), I decided to let the system go. Ended up getting a switch....which actually solved most of my gametime family problems.

This 'what-iffing' isn't absurd, but actual real-world factors and considerations that I experienced, and I'm an actual VR defender.

To be honest, I'm not even sure who the target is for VR. If you're a family guy, it's probably unrealistic. I've talked to so many dads who would love to get into it, but I guess it depends on the age of your kid. If your kid is under 5, probably not a great idea.

So I also know gamers who are hardcore. Giant screen projector TVs, multiple systems, etc. Their argument? Why would i put that on when I have this? After experiencing gaming in personal home theaters, they have a point. Again, these are people who enjoyed VR and don't have issues against it. However, one friend with a particularly awesome setup who is a big VR fan, admitted that he'd just rather have a switch, too.

So yeah, if i was single, lived alone, no school, in my 20's, had lots of disposable income, had other friends that shared my passion for gaming and VR, and was into bleeding edge tech...sure. VR is awesome. I'd have VR parties.

But outside of that, getting people into VR has been a real bummer for me personally. You might get a few moments of WOW at the beginning, but overall, most friends of mine, longtime gamers, 30's-40's, were like, 'It's cool...but who is doing all that shit to play a game?"

Take that for what you will.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I enjoyed virtual boy more than the Rift I bought.
At least it didn't make me feel sick.

VR technology isn't there yet and it feels like this first generation was released too early when too many problems still exist with it.

LOL! Come on now!

The interesting thing, here, is that I actually remember a much earlier attempt at consumer VR in the form of the VFX-1 from 1995 or so. We're much, much closer to getting a foothold into a nascent VR marketplace now than we ever were back then, but I don't know if we're quite there yet; if it doesn't happen, then expect another attempt in ten-fifteen years, but as it stands right now, we will at least have some interesting tech to experiment with!

I'm hoping it doesn't die down, though, because I'm curious what a second generation of this era of consumer VR would look like. One problem the VFX had and the high-end devices have now is the sheer cost of entry, and a second generation should look very hard into ways they can lower that.

Those requirements! hehe!

Agreed.

Watched Rogue One in 3D and in 2D. 3D was an overly-dark mess. A couple of utterly epic bits in 3d, but generally not worth it.

I buy about a game or 2 a month as things are released for PSVR... but, there has been a steady flow of releases, almost every single week. Yes, most are not great, but the experience still amazes me every time I put the headset on.

It is not only better, it gives you a new whole dimension for gaming.
2D-->presence.

When I wear my eyeglasses is like playing a PS3 game remastered for PS4.
No big deal.

If i could feel a 4th dimension with my eyeglasses it would be comparable with what VR does for 2d gaming.

VR will improve after its social, professional, and/or military application are demonstrated to a convinced public. Computers provide a public and social service; as do smartphones, and consoles have become more edible for mainstream consumption with the inclusion of movie-playback and other multimedia components that have helped them to transcend from their niche beginnings.

On Amazon's football series, All or Nothing, Carson Palmer demonstrated his use of VR for practice purposes. He said it was of immense help in his preparation for games.

THAT is what needs to happen for VR to be big. More people from a similar public position have to validate its necessity, be it football players, doctors, police officers, lawyers, or soldiers, not just your everyday gamers or developers.

It needs to demonstrate its value outside of just video games before it can become a mainstay in the living room or in any casual social conversation, perhaps more so than traditional video game consoles ever did since the universal portrayal of a human head saddled with a ungainly contraption is more offensive and unflattering compared to the perception of a couple of couch potatoes sitting next to each other w/ controller in hand..

Dubz

I didn't get a VR headset for the following reasons:

Uncomfortable
Expensive
Not a stand alone device
Isolating

They can fix all of this, except for the isolation, but it's probably going to be a while until they do.

Head.spawn

One standout game, moneyhat locked to one platform will do that.

There isn't a decent Holodeck/PS HOME-esque social experience on any platform yet.

I'm a 'thinking adult' (very condescending) and I played my VR after hours. Yes, you're actually COMPLETELY deaf and dumb to the world. Doing it together as a family is kind of tough as most games tend to be single player. My family, personally, simply had little interest in the multiplayer games offered. The most fun was watching someone play Holoball or Job Simulator, but that got very old after a few minutes. When half of the family can't interact because of sickness, and the other half just doesn't seem interested in the hassle of first putting on the headset, then adjusting focus, then getting in the best position to play -- the experience became a chore because *I* was the one who had to do setup for each person. When someone has glasses, new scenario. Big hair? new scenario. It was tedious. PSVR isn't as simple as 'take turns'.

I started leaving the VR unused for days, only slipping away like some kind of cheater at night to get in a few rounds after my wife and daughter goes to bed. Then things happen like a light night call, or my daughter wakes up crying because she has to go potty or has a nightmare or or whatever and you can't hear it.

After a while i just realized that it wasn't worth it. The game that I most looked forward to, Star Trek, would require not only total immersion, but actual time to dedicate to my team to coordinate, and now, apparently, only late at night.

This just wouldn't do. So despite my deep love for trek (the main reason i bought PSVR), I decided to let the system go. Ended up getting a switch....which actually solved most of my gametime family problems.

This 'what-iffing' isn't absurd, but actual real-world factors and considerations that I experienced, and I'm an actual VR defender.

To be honest, I'm not even sure who the target is for VR. If you're a family guy, it's probably unrealistic. I've talked to so many dads who would love to get into it, but I guess it depends on the age of your kid. If your kid is under 5, probably not a great idea.

So I also know gamers who are hardcore. Giant screen projector TVs, multiple systems, etc. Their argument? Why would i put that on when I have this? After experiencing gaming in personal home theaters, they have a point. Again, these are people who enjoyed VR and don't have issues against it. However, one friend with a particularly awesome setup who is a big VR fan, admitted that he'd just rather have a switch, too.

So yeah, if i was single, lived alone, no school, in my 20's, had lots of disposable income, had other friends that shared my passion for gaming and VR, and was into bleeding edge tech...sure. VR is awesome. I'd have VR parties.

But outside of that, getting people into VR has been a real bummer for me personally. You might get a few moments of WOW at the beginning, but overall, most friends of mine, longtime gamers, 30's-40's, were like, 'It's cool...but who is doing all that shit to play a game?"

Take that for what you will.
Apologies if you felt that was condescending, but concerns about the health and safety of the VR user and their loved ones are minimal compared to a great deal many other activities. I'll admit, it's not as safe as being completely prone on a sofa watching the television, but nearly everything is more dangerous than that. I'm only directly addressing your concerns about safety here. I get that some people might find it too expensive, or too fussy, or not the kind of thing they're looking for in games. That's perfectly fine. But reasonable, forward-thinking considerations before play shouldn't be a stretch.

As a side note, I really don't get the "all that to play a game" angle. I'm not singling you out because I know a lot of people find it to be a burdensome process, but I find it hardly more cumbersome than picking up a controller. And outside of the initial calibration process (which was a one-and-done for me) it's been smooth sailing. Clearly, it's a YMMV situation.

Farpoint and Star Trek are coming out next month so far this year Resident Evil 7, Psychonauts, Robo Recall and Rock Band have come out.

Later this year Fallout 4, Arktika.1, From Other Suns, Killing Floor and Lone Echo are coming out. Valve are working on three VR games and I would be very suprised if Sony don't announce more games at E3.

There are also plenty of really good games in early access like Pavlov, H3VR, Raw Data, Sairento and Onward that are putting out significant content updates for their games regularly.

Can we stop pretending that there isn't anything out or coming out on VR?

no doubt that there are titles coming but the list of big titles that are gonna drive interest and move units is extremely small imho.

The biggest hope i have is in the Valve games. I have two headsets and i am very interested in VR but so far the games have not delivered outside of a few novelty experiences and 1-2 good games.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
no doubt that there are titles coming but the list of big titles that are gonna drive interest and move units is extremely small imho.

The biggest hope i have is in the Valve games. I have two headsets and i am very interested in VR but so far the games have not delivered outside of a few novelty experiences and 1-2 good games.

half life 3 vr exclusive would drive unit sells like crazy

This is needless handwringing. Of course you take into consideration that you'll be wearing a visor and headphones before you play. But you're not completely deaf and dumb to the world. Most thinking adults would reserve the VR for after the kids go to bed, or if they have the house to themselves. Or you do it together as a family and take turns.

All this what-iffing is just absurd. I mean, what if something catches on fire while you're in the shower or taking a shit? What if your spouse falls down the stairs while you're out mowing the lawn? What if your dog chokes on a chew toy while you're at the store? As a parent/caretaker, you have to anticipate potentially dangerous situations, but you can't fret over every little thing that could possibly happen. You'd never get anything done.

This reeks of someone who isn't a parent. Cutting off your visual and hearing senses so that you can be alert to the needs of your kids and their safety in the house is a real legit concern. The only reason I would ever put it on is if I know my wife is there to handle a situation or to alert me if something is going on. I would never do it if she was out and I was home alone with the kids even if they had gone to sleep for the night. Going into VR simply means I wouldn't be able to hear them call to me or cry in the middle of the night. Cutting off two of your major senses that alerts you to a problem is a valid thing to consider.

wolgoen

Honestly... I forget that VR is even a thing sometimes.

Same here, like 3D movies. I seem to just overlook it all together, if I go to the cinema I always choose the 2D version. I find it gimmicky.

However, as someone said above, if Half Life 3 or a game of similar impact were to release exclusive - or even timed exclusive - I'd jump on board provided the game was 'designed' with VR in mind and not just tacked on.

Synless

I feel like VR will see its best growth (for better or worse) in the mobile sector. The wire free convenience of that platform makes far more attractive than what we are currently using on PC and console(s).

cakefoo

RE7 set the bar very high for the future.
It's both a high bar in terms of the gameplay and horror themes, but also a mediocre bar in terms of VR input. The theoretical Vive/Rift+Touch version coming after the 1-year exclusivity would raise the bar much higher, or Fallout 4 could blow people away at E3.

This reeks of someone who isn't a parent. Cutting off your visual and hearing senses so that you can be alert to the needs of your kids and their safety in the house is a real legit concern. The only reason I would ever put it on is if I know my wife is there to handle a situation or to alert me if something is going on. I would never do it if she was out and I was home alone with the kids even if they had gone to sleep for the night. Going into VR simply means I wouldn't be able to hear them call to me or cry in the middle of the night. Cutting off two of your major senses that alerts you to a problem is a valid thing to consider.

I'm sorry but I still find this to be bogus.

As a parent of a two year old, my daughter sleeps in another room. Line of sight gone.

And as for audio, I game with headphones, open backed, specifically so I can hear outside noise. It's no less safe than what I'd do in a non VR situation. Lower volume, 1 earbud in, etc etc. There are many reasons to not embrace VR, but this one seems like a stretch.

The headset slips off in practically no time.

Watch Angryjoe's preview of Star Trek, He basically says it's a system seller but hard to say that considering the entry point for VR.

But it does look fantastic for us with friends who have VR also.

yyr

And as for audio, I game with headphones, open backed, specifically so I can hear outside noise. It's no less safe than what I'd do in a non VR situation. Lower volume, 1 earbud in, etc etc. There are many reasons to not embrace VR, but this one seems like a stretch.

The headset slips off in practically no time.

Is it possible to use a VR headset in the same way? Open-backed? Or one side in, the other side out? If not, it doesn't matter how quickly the headset slips off. How would you hear the thing that prompts you to slip it off?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Is it possible to use a VR headset in the same way? Open-backed? Or one side in, the other side out? If not, it doesn't matter how quickly the headset slips off. How would you hear the thing that prompts you to slip it off?

uhhh yeah you use head phones for vr sooo yeah you can

As a parent of a two year old, my daughter sleeps in another room. Line of sight gone.

This is what a baby monitor is for. I keep mine on the coffee table while I'm gaming (also a father of a 2 year old daughter). I can't see that at all with a VR headset on. I have to say, not being able to keep an eye/ear on the kid(s) has certainly crossed my mind as a point against VR personally.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Not sure how anyone play robot recall or sculpt/paint in VR and not realize this is not at all like 3D glasses.

I just think the tech is very early, but luckily developers are still excited about it so it will stick around for a while.

kinggroin

Banned
Not sure how anyone play robot recall or sculpt/paint in VR and not realize this is not at all like 3D glasses.

I just think the tech is very early, but luckily developers are still excited about it so it will stick around for a while.

Because when the cost of entry is so high that owning the unit becomes a pipe dream, it's way easier to ignore it, brush it off as a gimmick or pull the "no good games" card.

I admit that VR is a lot of much to do, but it's always, ALWAYS a helluva ride when you're in there with good games.

At least with the Vive anyway.

Jams775

I haven't regretted getting my Vive. I'm just waiting for new games to come out that are more than just lazy rail shooters or some weird low poly Second Life clone. Something I can really sink my teeth into like Fallout 4 VR (even though I don't really like the game, I'd be willing to give it another go in VR and even double dip if I had to).

There have been good games to come out like Vanishing Realms, Arizona Sunshine, etc, and good ports to VR like Elite, Pcars, etc. It's just that the development of these games make Nintendo games seem quickly made in comparison.

I think though it feels like the "no games no customers / no customers no games" is really doing it in on VR for gaming. We really need one side of the coin to commit which I know is hard/impossible to do.

VR is very expensive and not especially physically relaxing. It does a different thing than sitting on the couch for four hours playing Breath of the WIld does. You usually have to move around, you get sweaty, the thing hurts your face after a while, the VR effect can be intense and scary, and you can get nauseous. So VR is for people who are willing to cross the expense and discomfort barrier for the more intense experience, which at this point is a limited group. I'm a Rift owner and usually I just choose to play a non-VR game because it's easier. The more comfortable and affordable the headsets get, the more it will be adopted.

I thought it was all one piece? Please excuse my ignorance if I was wrong.

No. On the Rift, they're detachable. On the Vive, they're a completely separate piece and it has a headphone jack for whatever headphones you want.

If you're super paranoid about seeing your kid at all times, you could have a nanny cam on them and there's a program you can get on Steam that puts a mirror of your desktop as a virtual object that appears over whatever you're playing.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
No. On the Rift, they're detachable. On the Vive, they're a completely separate piece and it has a headphone jack for whatever headphones you want.

If you're super paranoid about seeing your kid at all times, you could have a nanny cam on them and there's a program you can get on Steam that puts a mirror of your desktop as a virtual object that appears over whatever you're playing.

and vive also has a camera on the front that you can turn on and see whats in front of you as well

Bookoo

VR is very expensive and not especially physically relaxing. It does a different thing than sitting on the couch for four hours playing Breath of the WIld does. You usually have to move around, you get sweaty, the thing hurts your face after a while, the VR effect can be intense and scary, and you can get nauseous. So VR is for people who are willing to cross the expense and discomfort barrier for the more intense experience, which at this point is a limited group. I'm a Rift owner and usually I just choose to play a non-VR game because it's easier. The more comfortable and affordable the headsets get, the more it will be adopted.

I still play a decent amount of regular games, but I would love to play more 3rd person games in VR.

After playing Chronos and Edge of Nowhere I think it is like the best of both worlds. You get awesome immersion and this great all encompassing view, but it doesn't really come with the same physical stress of the VR games trying to replicate the natural movement of a body.

Worth remembering that 3D is still a fairly big deal in movie theaters. People—maybe not everyone but a reasonable subhead—do like 3D.

The problem with 3D TV's is that nobody wants to wear special glasses when they're relaxing at home. They impede your ability to lay down on the couch, or half-pay-attention while engaged in other activities.

When I was buying a projector, a majority of low-end, single-chip DLP models I was looking at came with 3D capabilities built in. I suspect this is at least in part because (some) projector users are (probably) looking for a more-involved, less laid-back experience. This was about three years ago, don't know if things are different now.

Bookoo

3D and VR are not the same thing so I don't know why people really compare them.

People are much less impressed with the effect of 3D and doesn't really add anything to the experience. The effect of VR is much more compelling and as the tech matures it would likely have much more mainstream appeal.

My parents made fun of me when I told them I am buying some Oculus DK1 and then basically told me to bring it with me every time I visits to show it off to all family and friends. My skeptical friends have all been the same and one of them decided to buy a Galaxy phone just to get mobile VR.

I am not sure why people are so quick to dismiss the tech entirely. It feels like the people who claimed PC gaming was dead years ago.

Sillverrr

Like most people, I am waiting for a more advanced implementation. I hate wearing things on my head in general. Without hands-on experience, I don't feel as though I'm missing anything. I hope a Minority Report/Holodeck future comes to pass, but if it does it won't be any thanks to me.

Tainted

Without hands-on experience, I don't feel as though I'm missing anything.

I felt the same way before yesterday when I tried it for the first time (Vive & Rift). Walked away and was tempted to pull the trigger and just buy one then and there....it truly is that amazing.

I don't know how long it takes for that initial wow factor to wear off and you actually see it for what it is....but first impressions are simply breathtaking. Amazing tech

Top Bottom