• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite Hype, VR Investment Fades In Q1 2017

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
^ ^ Agreed. These are my most anticipated VR games and the reason I bought PSVR. I can see GT Sport and Ace Combat in particular selling quite a few VR units by themselves. 😎 Who hasn't ever wanted to be a Top Gun pilot or a race car driver in VR?
I used to think that games where you're in a cockpit (racing, flight sim) would be the VR killer app.

Unfortunately Drive Club VR makes me horribly sick after a few minutes. Just the thought of Ace Combat in VR is nauseating.

I used to think that games where you're in a cockpit (racing, flight sim) would be the VR killer app.

Unfortunately Drive Club VR makes me horribly sick after a few minutes. Just the thought of Ace Combat in VR is nauseating.

That's an issue that seems to be more on whatever Drive Club is doing (haven't played it) since it in particular is notorious for making people nauseous. There are a number of racers on PC VR that don't have such wide spread nausea issues. Even other cockpit games on PSVR don't (Rigs & Battle Zone for example). On PC, Elite: Dangerous is always touted as an awesome experience (which I can attest to). Ace Combat will be fine as long as they stick to best practices.

Synth

^ ^ Agreed. These are my most anticipated VR games and the reason I bought PSVR. I can see GT Sport and Ace Combat in particular selling quite a few VR units by themselves. 😎 Who hasn't ever wanted to be a Top Gun pilot or a race car driver in VR?

Ace Combat 7 was the main reason I wanted a PSVR in the first place, along with GTS...

Turns out that neither will actually be fully playable in VR (unlike stuff like Rez Infinite or Resident Evil 7 are). If anything I think these bigger name games only offering partial VR experiences is more detrimental to the platform's perception in the long term than if these games had no VR functionality at all. It's reinforcing the image that VR Is for smaller bite-size experiences, and makes me doubt the scope of VR functionality for future games when they're announced. Tekken 7 is about to release... and I have no idea what its supposed VR functionality is still. How many missions in Ace Combat 7 can actually be played in VR? Can VR players race online with non-VR players in GTS? etc

It's been a lot easier on the PC side, where games are able to just brute-force VR compatibility without much reworking, so you end up with stuff like Elite Dangerous, Assetto Corsa and the like being playable in their entirety. Even when you had Dirt Rally become fully playable in PSVR, it was paid DLC, as opposed to just a patch in the PC version, and Driveclub VR became a separate product (with content I was able to beat in a single sitting). I initially thought that having Sony's backing would lead to PSVR having a notably stronger line-up of fuller games than the PC headsets, but it's honestly turned out to be the opposite, with the PSVR now being the headset I worry most about the future of. For all Sony's talk about treating the headset as a new platform, Oculus has been doing a much better job of actually providing VR games.

Top Bottom