• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Cudder

Nope, I just finished playing with SH3 recently (got the platinum) and didn't notice that. Some of the sync is still off though..

Audioboxer

Nope, I just finished playing with SH3 recently (got the platinum) and didn't notice that. Some of the sync is still off though..

Should have said it's in Silent Hill 2, using old voices.

Might be the old voices, SH3 was recorded with new voices. I assume what the devs have done with SH2 is just lift the old voice track and put it into the new 5.1 upmix for the music/sound effects. No doubt the old voice track is mastered at a lower volume than the new 5.1 upmix, and they haven't compensated.

It's in the cutscenes it's most notable.

Audioboxer

I think it's as I thought, using the new voices I have no problem. Read that some of the lines are done much better in SH2 with the new voices, so I'll just stick with them.

I never played the original games, so any changes they've made in these HD remakes don't bother me, but damn it, the games themselves have so many problems. The terrible camera, the too small maps, the clunky controlls. And the whole game is just wandering around, looking at maps, walking in and out of rooms and picking up stuff that you can barely see amid piles of junk. Games like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4, or even Resident Evil 5 are just better games. At least you do something in those games besides walk around and look for a hair dryer.

I never played the original games, so any changes they've made in these HD remakes don't bother me, but damn it, the games themselves have so many problems. The terrible camera, the too small maps, the clunky controlls. And the whole game is just wandering around, looking at maps, walking in and out of rooms and picking up stuff that you can barely see amid piles of junk. Games like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4, or even Resident Evil 5 are just better games. At least you do something in those games besides walk around and look for a hair dryer.

t71wjn.gif

You're absolutely right, but people will fight you tooth and nail to tell you otherwise.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on the Internet.

Incredible.

Hilarious Konami is actually making an active decision to allow this dumpster fire of shit on PSNow, but still won't even put the PC versions of SH2, SH3, and SH4 on Steam. Or put the original PS2 games on PS Store.

televator

Ive never played em so the game works out to be the best option for me

It can be argued that it really isn't. A lot of the problems in these unmasters completely work against how well the atmosphere and tension should be conveyed. You're getting a lesser experience in rather substantial sense.

The best case scenario would be for Konami to green light PS2 to PS4 emulations on PSN.

televator

Silent Hill 2 is fine post-patch. SH3, however, still pisses me off. I don't like some of the "creative changes" in 2, but it's better than it was at release.

The creative changes - one in particular - is still a huge problem though. One that completeley ruins the game's biggest revelation and can leave a new player in the oblivious about a major narrative point and central reason in the game that explains why the main char is experiencing hell on earth. Personally, I can't say that's fine at all.

Melchiah

The creative changes - one in particular - is still a huge problem though. One that completeley ruins the game's biggest revelation and can leave a new player in the oblivious about a major narrative point and central reason in the game that explains why the main char is experiencing hell on earth. Personally, I can't say that's fine at all.

How exactly was it changed? I have the collection, but I've never played it, as I thought it didn't make the original version justice.

How exactly was it changed? I have the collection, but I've never played it, as I thought it didn't make the original version justice.
They added a dumb border that looks like the old TV set and it slowly zooms into the video playing, which makes it difficult to tell what's happening.

Melchiah

They added a dumb border that looks like the old TV set and it slowly zooms into the video playing, which makes it difficult to tell what's happening.

Huh! That sounds like a completely unnecessary change. It's unfortunate, if that's how some players experience the revelation for the first time.

Huh! That sounds like a completely unnecessary change. It's unfortunate, if that's how some players experience the revelation for the first time.
Yes, but other than that and the weird Maria tooth-eye, the patches improved the far worse launch version. X360 version never got the second patch, though.

Top Bottom