• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2, rttp or how I learned to stop worrying and love the fog

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
Glad you enjoyed it OP, SH2 for me is the greates survival horror ever made , in fact I try to play it every year around this spooky days or when I'm feeling down.

Also SH3 is awesome it starts a little weaker than 2 but it gets really good.

Listen while you read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB7LZZGpkw

Such a classic. So sad Silent Hill isn't great anymore :(

Theme of Laura always brings back so many memories. My favorite survival horror of all time and probably the only one that changes your perception of the entire game considerably after you beat it that makes playing through it again a must because you'll see everything in a different light.

That ending though and the revelations...

8a722842155a659a7da1cb540c908500.gif

Shredderi

SH3 will pick up, but I say take your time to enjoy things. Where I think SH3 picks up tremendously is actually close to where you are (right after you get out of the sewers, and it scales from there, in my opinion, though I didn't dislike the mall or subway personally either so take as you will).

Oh I'll keep at it for sure. It may have sounded like I didn't like the game at all because I didn't mention the things I do like about it already. I think that the visuals are really strong from both technical and design standpoint. The monsters look delightfully grotesque and the environments in the otherworld sections are super grimy, like I feel I need a tetanus shot from just playing the game. I also like Heather's somewhat sassy attitude. The game looks really good for a PS2 game I think.

Glad you enjoyed it OP, SH2 for me is the greates survival horror ever made , in fact I try to play it every year around this spooky days or when I'm feeling down.

Also SH3 is awesome it starts a little weaker than 2 but it gets really good.

I understand now where all the hype came from and in a rare instance the game was actually worth all the hype (hyped up older games tend to not have quite the same impact years later). There are a lot of things in SH2 that a lot of other games could take a note of. The way the game marries the narrative to it's moment-to-moment gameplay and surroundings is mindblowing to me.

This whole Silent Hill extravaganza that I started has one serious dark side to it though: I've never been as pissed off about the cancellation of Silent Hills as I am now.

Edit: Also I think it's a little odd that the original Silent Hill movie didn't try to just make a movie out of this game. Well not odd really. I understand the hollywood mentality and all that but I think it would have made a better movie. The movie did have pretty nice visuals though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Theme of Laura always brings back so many memories. My favorite survival horror of all time and probably the only one that changes your perception of the entire game considerably after you beat it that makes playing through it again a must because you'll see everything in a different light.

That ending though and the revelations...

8a722842155a659a7da1cb540c908500.gif

Mary's "please come back" after brushing off James in the radio convo is what does it for me :(

alterno69

Banned
Best game ever, so many iconic places, the music, the story.

That holiday season was incredible and that game left a mark on me. The graphics were pretty mindblowing at the time too, just insane.

For some reason i could never get into SH3, i did beat SH4 but i hardly remember anything, SH2 is more fresh in my mind, the characters and locations, the boss fights. Piramid head is one of the coolest enemy designs in any genre to this day.

Guri

By the way, OP, look for the making-of. Since it isn't sold anymore with the games, you can find them (SH2 and 3) on YouTube. Of course, watch the SH3 one after you finish it.

Sephzilla

Silent Hill 2 has a legitimate case for being considered one of the greatest video games ever made. Y2Kev already hit on the reasons why.

Can't say anything about the game that hasn't been said already. The game is a masterpiece. Just amazing. The story just gets me.

AdaWong

Except the cult 'shit' is the main reason the games exist in the first place. Don't go hating the cult just because it doesn't fit the psychological horror of the other SH games.

Putting SH2 and Downpour in the same category...
Yikes.

I thoroughly enjoyed Downpour. Everything from its characters to its story.
I also enjoyed SH2. (My absolute fave)
They are my most favorite SH games and therefore belog together.

What's hard to grasp here? Yikes.

Shmuppers

Silent Hill 2 has a legitimate case for being considered one of the greatest video games ever made. Y2Kev already hit on the reasons why.
Was going to say something to this effect, haven't seen that Y2Kev post though.

Silent Hill 2 should be distributed across schools worldwide.

Lime

Shredderi

Gotta say it's interesting to watch the game being played with Guy Cihi. He has all sorts of interesting insights about the game. I was kind of surprised how much he still remembered about it.

Gotta say it's interesting to watch the game being played with Guy Cihi. He has all sorts of interesting insights about the game. I was kind of surprised how much he still remembered about it.

It's clear that he has more love and passion for SH2 than Konami ever did which is a shame but not something surprising, either way, it's a must watch for anyone that adores SH2. Every once and a while I come back to watch it, pure joy.

Jombie

Silent Hill 2 has been my favorite game since its release. It's a game that fires on all cylinders; the combat isn't great but luckily there's far less of it than there is in 1 and 3 -- where the amount of enemies is just annoying. I also prefer the subtle decay of SH2, as opposed to the on-the-nose garishness of SH 1 and 3. It's one of the few games I can think of that handles mature themes in a mature way and it's in a small group of games that I consider to be 'more than just a game'.

Best Silent Hill. I played this first time only a year ago, and it makes me long for more. Survival horrors decent into First Person and Horror in general is a sad state of affairs.

SH2's design, story and atmosphere are wonderful. Great Game.

pantsmith

I just have one question to those of you who have completed the game: What was the hole? Why was it there? Why is it gone now?

The "hole" is a hole in James narration, not a literal hole.

Its a brilliant break of the 4th wall, that you wouldn't stop to realize your first time through because everything in this game is already weird/horrifying - why would you doubt the weird message scrawled on the wall talking about a hole? Regardless, there never was a hole. Everything around you is full of "holes", but not the wall that message is written on.

Shredderi

The "hole" is a hole in James narration, not a literal hole.

Its a brilliant break of the 4th wall, that you wouldn't stop to realize your first time through because everything in this game is already weird/horrifying - why would you doubt the weird message scrawled on the wall talking about a hole? Regardless, there never was a hole. Everything around you is full of "holes", but not the wall that message is written on.

You might be onto something. I just loved mysterious stuff like that when I was playing. So many things to screw with my mind. It's been many days now since I completed it and I still think about the game a lot. Just kind of stays with you.

Ophelion

Realtalk: I don't think I would be invested in videogames the way I am if I hadn't played Silent Hill 2 as an early twentysomething. So many of my current obsessions trace back to that cold November playthrough eight years ago. Videogames, Horror, Psychological fiction, probably what inadvertently pushed me down the rabbit hole into Lovecraftian weird fiction.

Even though there are games that I've enjoyed more since, Silent Hill 2 will always be THE game to me.

Top Bottom