• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April Cover: Saints Row: The Third

MMaRsu

Banned
Neuromancer said:
They haven't said I don't think but I'd be very surprised if they took that stuff out.

Those guys look so goofy. :lol

Screw that, why the hell would they take it out?

MMaRsu

Banned
Darkshier said:
Why did they take drinking and doing drugs out? Or multiplayer?

Multiplayer I can understand. Drinking and doing drugs, why the hell would you do that? You already have the animations and items in the engine.. wtf ><. I swear to god I don't understand developers sometimes.

Gravijah said:
You could do drugs in SR2?
Yep you could smoke a big phatty blunt. It made the screen get all smokey and weird and I think you took less damage while you were high. :lol

Net_Wrecker said:
I want the Akira bikes in again. Best looking vehicles in Saints Row 2.
Best thing is you could use it to drive up walls. So much fun.

Gravijah

Neuromancer said:
Yep you could smoke a big phatty blunt. It made the screen get all smokey and weird and I think you took less damage while you were high. :lol

Been since release since I played. I might vaguely remember that... I need to pick SR2 back up again. With patches, this time!

Kaizer

Banned
Neuromancer said:

Best thing is you could use it to drive up walls. So much fun.
Ahh, so many good memories of wall-running. They better be in this one.

if there's no eating, drinking or drugs, what's the health system like?

and i'm sure some people will be upset about no multiplayer, even though i played like an hour or two of multi in SR and barely touched it in SR2.

The Faceless Master said:
if there's no eating, drinking or drugs, what's the health system like?

and i'm sure some people will be upset about no multiplayer, even though i played like an hour or two of multi in SR and barely touched it in SR2.
My guess is good old fashioned regenerating health, which there was in SR2 I think but it was very slow.

-BLITZ-

Saints Row The Third News
Source - Gameinformer
For more info about them, follow the links

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ho-in-saints-row-the-third-phillip-loren.aspx

Saints-Row-3rd-Characters-610e.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...o-s-who-in-saints-row-the-third-killbane.aspx

Saints-Row-3rd-Characters-610b.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-who-in-saints-row-the-third-matt-miller.aspx

Saints-Row-3rd-Characters-610c.jpg

OneLetter

On a somewhat related note, we're asking all of our fans about the "Fart in a jar" weapon. See this link for details on our Twitter account (@SaintsRow). If we see enough responses, we'll consider putting it in the game.

Also, if the Game Informer character reveal on their website stays in the same order as the magazine, Friday will be my favorite character reveal, so be on the lookout for that.

MMaRsu

Banned
OneLetter said:
On a somewhat related note, we're asking all of our fans about the "Fart in a jar" weapon. See this link for details on our Twitter account (@SaintsRow). If we see enough responses, we'll consider putting it in the game.

Also, if the Game Informer character reveal on their website stays in the same order as the magazine, Friday will be my favorite character reveal, so be on the lookout for that.

What the fuck is fart in a jar? I just want my drinking and drugs back dude. How about you consider putting that in the game?

And the mp3 player from Saints Row 1. Why you guys even took those features out boggles my mind.

I mean I love Saints Row.. but why remove awesome features like being drunk and then you're super strong and able to kick dudes 30ft away?

squicken

OneLetter said:

Seems like a fart in a jar would be a useful weapon. I have tweeted to that sentiment.

edit: for the Fart in the Jar thing watch the video on GI's website. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...orming-the-humor-of-saints-row-the-third.aspx

I played the first two games multiple times, and hardly ever used the drugs. I'd rather have the D Pad as a weapon selector.

OneLetter said:

what is it?
from the link said:
Remember, we still want to hear from our fans about #fartinajar! If you want it in #SaintsRow3, tell us by using the hashtag.
I looked though the official forums, and don't see any info about it?
http://www.saintsrow.com/forum

what's the deal with developers and publishers not using their official forums for info? Why do we have to go to other sites
the two that get pushed all the time
:( to find info... really bugs me

OneLetter

MrTroubleMaker said:
what is it?
I looked though the official forums, and don't see any info about it?
http://www.saintsrow.com/forum

what's the deal with developers and publishers not using their official forums for info? Why do we have to go to other sites
the two that get pushed all the time
:( to find info... really bugs me

It's on our official forums, but it's gotten buried in the past few days since new posts there keep pushing it down. I'll toss up a new one and sticky it to the top. :)

**EDIT**
Here you go.
**END EDIT**

You can find more info about the Fart in a jar weapon inside of the April edition of Game Informer, or by watching this video on their website [at this link]

MMaRsu said:
What the fuck is fart in a jar? I just want my drinking and drugs back dude. How about you consider putting that in the game?

And the mp3 player from Saints Row 1. Why you guys even took those features out boggles my mind.

I mean I love Saints Row.. but why remove awesome features like being drunk and then you're super strong and able to kick dudes 30ft away?

FIAJ was a weapon that was thought of during pre-production, but a large portion of the dev team thought it may have been too over the top, even for Saints Row. Check out the video above for more details about it.

It should be noted that in SR/SR2, you don't need to be drunk in order to kick guys further. We have TONS of different cheats that allow you to do the same thing.

For the running around MP3 player, there's more than a few reasons it was removed (which I can't get into), but a main one is so that we can use that memory for audio cues when outside of the car towards other situations that we may want to try and draw the player towards, such as maybe a gang of pimps fighting in the park, or an old woman crashing her car into the back of a dump truck.

d1rtn4p

OneLetter said:
It's on our official forums, but it's gotten buried in the past few days since new posts there keep pushing it down. I'll toss up a new one and sticky it to the top. :)

You can find more info about the Fart in a jar weapon inside of the April edition of Game Informer, or by watching this video on their website [at this link]

FIAJ was a weapon that was thought of during pre-production, but a large portion of the dev team thought it may have been too over the top, even for Saints Row. Check out the video above for more details about it.

It should be noted that in SR/SR2, you don't need to be drunk in order to kick guys further. We have TONS of different cheats that allow you to do the same thing.

For the running around MP3 player, there's more than a few reasons it was removed (which I can't get into), but a main one is so that we can use that memory for audio cues when outside of the car towards other situations that we may want to try and draw the player towards, such as maybe a gang of pimps fighting in the park, or an old woman crashing her car into the back of a dump truck.

Love Saints Row...

OneLetter said:

**EDIT**
Here you go. :)
**END EDIT**

Use cheat codes? What kind of gangster doesn't drink and do drugs? Yes FIAJ is way over the top and fucking ridiculous that you would spend time making that weapon and not bring back drinking and drugs.

And really? No more portable MP3 player? Jesus Volition, get your shit together. Now I'll have to use the inferior 360 custom soundtrack option, so I won't be able to hear your audio cues anyways.

OneLetter said:

Damn, that video's just made me want to play the game right now!

Yeah, the FIAJ sounds like something I'd have fun with if it was in the game, but if the execution of it is proving to be problematic like the guys in the video said, then probably better to leave it out. If it doesn't really "work" in the game, then I'd sooner not have it.

Count me in on wanting food, drinking and drugs instead of the fart in the jar. Which my guess is already in the game, and this whole Twitter campaign is a marketing ploy. =P

MMaRsu

Banned
OneLetter said:

**EDIT**
Here you go.
**END EDIT**

Hey, first of all thanks for responding to my post :).

Like other posters have stated, drinking and doing drugs is something a gangster does, and it just looked cool as well. Ever since Saints Row 1, drinking a 40 and throwing it on the ground or near some bum ( and the bum actually reacting to it as well, which is awesome ) was something fun to do. It just doesn't make much sense to remove it alltogether.

As for the MP3 player, I understand wanting to free up memory, but I do not understand removing it. I'm sure there were some licensing issues as well, but Saints Row 1 being the ONLY open world game that features a way to listen to the soundtrack while on foot and causing destruction or doing missions just made the game so much better in my opinion.

Since I've stopped playing on my 360 ( because it can't read discs anymore ) I'll be buying Saints Row 3 for Ps3. And on that console there is almost no way to listen to your own music during games. Sure some games support it but it's a handful. It's just an awesome feature to listen to the games OST while blowing stuff up outside of a car ( and during activities ).

Sure, put a fart in a jar in.. I never even heard of it until now. I just hope you guys make sure not to remove too much of the stuff that made SR1/SR2 so great. I'm not saying I don't have faith, because I loved both games with a passion ( and also RFG ) but I'm apprehensive when I hear stuff like drinking/drugs had been taken out.

Same with food by the way, I understand that weak ass gamers might not appreciate the need to have food on you to heal, but it's way better than a fully regenerating character. I mean people will just hide behind a corner for a bit and then go back into the fight. I'd rather keep shooting at the fools and quickly use a freckle bitches hamburger or a big ass slurpee to regain some of my health. You guys obviously still have ample months to finetune the game, as I'm hoping it's close to being done on the gameplay side, then the polish months kick in, with possibly a release in september?

Either way, I gotta head out and this post is already pretty long.

Fart in a jar is NOT an over-the-top weapon. You guys act like you're taking a rolled up newspaper and shoving it forcefully into one of the wrestler's anuses or something. From the interviews I've seen, Volition seems to be too frightened to include any funny weapons or gags. This isn't a serious game, it never has been. So, with that said, please put some crazy things into the game that will stun even the most desensitized players.

Stantron

Kotomi said:
Fart in a jar is NOT an over-the-top weapon. You guys act like you're taking a rolled up newspaper and shoving it forcefully into one of the wrestler's anuses or something. From the interviews I've seen, Volition seems to be too frightened to include any funny weapons or gags. This isn't a serious game, it never has been. So, with that said, please put some crazy things into the game that will stun even the most desensitized players.
I nearly spit out my coffee. Let's get a petition for this. haha

Clott

That's an interesting premise, at this point I am still totally burned out on sandbox games, but maybe this will be the one to freshen things up?

Edit: there was another sandbox game that sounded interesting, was it the new true crime that was taking place in hong kong?

Clott said:
That's an interesting premise, at this point I am still totally burned out on sandbox games, but maybe this will be the one to freshen things up?

Edit: there was another sandbox game that sounded interesting, was it the new true crime that was taking place in hong kong?
If so you're out of luck, that got shitcanned.

Saints-Row-3rd-Characters-610c.jpg

Emo hacker gangs? Interesting.

-BLITZ-

MMaRsu said:
Hey, first of all thanks for responding to my post :).
As for the MP3 player ... -> remove it alltogether.

Because I never manage to play SR1, this feature is similiar to the one from Scarface The World Is Yours, when you could just listen to music anytime. Well, one of the best things I liked and enjoyed a lot from Scarface game. And I thought is the single game that has this feature :)

MMaRsu said:
Same with food by the way ... regain some of my health

Hah! I used this feature all the time, on the entire gameplay. One of the awesome features that put me in shock on this SR2, by seeing how he really eats a hamburger or drinking and throwing the bottle on the street without giving a care about it, compare with other games, where you only see an animation with invisible food in his hands.

So unique, SR series are ... isn't it ?!

Marleyman

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Emo hacker gangs? Interesting.

Interesting is one way to put it. Ever since GTA and then Mafia II in some respects, I have come to appreciate a more realistic approach to my sandbox games, however there is always room for letting loose(Just Cause 2 is a perfect example of that). I will definitely purchase this, no matter what type of ridiculous gangs they throw in.

Marleyman

Banned
The part about this big goofy guy Oleg and mutated versions of him running around sounds a bit too similar to Crackdown. I also don't like a overpowered monster running around, but whatever..I will still buy it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Kotomi said:

What are you even talking about. Nobody here wants a serious game.

They can put as much crazy shit in the game as they want, and that's what I want.

I don't think I've seen anybody say hey I want a more serious approach.

MMaRsu said:
What are you even talking about. Nobody here wants a serious game.

They can put as much crazy shit in the game as they want, and that's what I want.

I don't think I've seen anybody say hey I want a more serious approach.
You misread my post terribly. I was calling for a more loose, obscene game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Kotomi said:
You misread my post terribly. I was calling for a more loose, obscene game.

So wait, who is you guys? :p

I want as much crazy shit in the game, just to reiterate. But they shouldn't forget the gangsta attitude, and this is also why I am sad they took out drinking/drugs.

MMaRsu said:
So wait, who is you guys? :p

I want as much crazy shit in the game, just to reiterate. But they shouldn't forget the gangsta attitude, and this is also why I am sad they took out drinking/drugs.
He was talking to the Volition dude.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
With those character concepts, I cannot wait for the voice cast.

Jay Mohr stole SR2. "Imagine: no-one below the poverty line... trying to wash your car."

D2M15 said:
With those character concepts, I cannot wait for the voice cast.

Jay Mohr stole SR2. "Imagine: no-one below the poverty line... trying to wash your car."
Wow that guy was Dane Vogel? I had no idea. Makes sense though!

I had no idea people actually liked these games till I saw it as the cover story on my latest GI.
I always assumed they were desperate attempts to cash in on the GTA formula.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just got my magazine, browsed the article and it looks dope. I look forward to my next major bowel movement so I can give it a full read.

This seems to be a 'true' sequel compared to Saints Row 2, which was awesome but more of the same for the most part. It's a much more ambitious game, but so far it sounds like they'll still retain what makes the series so fun so I'm hyped.

I wanted to replay SR2 so I got the PC version last night but I accidentally bought the censored german-language version :(.

OneLetter said:

Trust me, as someone who considers himself a big fan of the series, Far in a Jat would be a tremendous idea. The gaming community would be a-buzz with the announcement of that feature. Do not only yourselves, but the gaming community a favor and keep that in the game.

Gravijah

Snuggler said:
Just got my magazine, browsed the article and it looks dope. I look forward to my next major bowel movement so I can give it a full read.

This seems to be a 'true' sequel compared to Saints Row 2, which was awesome but more of the same for the most part. It's a much more ambitious game, but so far it sounds like they'll still retain what makes the series so fun so I'm hyped.

I wanted to replay SR2 so I got the PC version last night but I accidentally bought the censored german-language version :(.

How in the hell did you manage that?

MMaRsu

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I had no idea people actually liked these games till I saw it as the cover story on my latest GI.

So I guess you never played either one? Both games were really good, and especially part 2 was really fun, in contrast to GTAIV.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
How in the hell did you manage that?

The DD version was cheapest at GamersGate.com, and it can be activated on Steam so I thought it would be the right choice but for some reason (and they didn't mention this) it was the German version. There's no blood whatsoever and people disappear as soon as you kill them, it's fucked up.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Make no mistake, SR1 was a GTA clone- except it did a lot of things much better, most notably having a good free-aim (as opposed to GTA's shitty lock-on) and a ton of character customization.

SR2 improved on SR1 in every conceivable way and added campaign co-op, whcih was amazingly fun.

Also whereas GTA4 went down this sad-sack, self-serious, quasi-realistic path, SR2 went down the path of crazy and fun gameplay instead.

Top Bottom