• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Forza 6
qxcanh.PNG

This looks like messed up and deliberately cherry picked shot. Anybody care to retake? I could try later today, but I'm a bit busy today.

Gestault

This looks like messed up and deliberately cherry picked shot. Anybody care to retake? I could try later today, but I'm a bit busy today.

It's sort of 50/50, because I was curious too and took a look. It's accurate to that corner, but that corner looks a bit worse than other kitty-litter areas in the game.

A different spot would better show the "zen garden" lines on the trackside, but that ground texture and lack of transition between the materials is definitely used there. If you look back maybe 30-45 degrees, the sun angle would glint off the the surfaces like in Assetto Corsa. If you picked a different corner, you could just as easily show the highlighted detail in one game and have the other two look more plain. It's just how sun direction works. Heck, I got defensive of GT6 when there was the Willow Springs comparison to GTS at different times of day.

It's one of those things where it's a high-ish speed area, so in motion, those textures look ok (I think the coarse, high-contrast texture is a design choice even though it looks bad in standstill). It's easy enough to pick unflattering comparisons for any/all of the sims, and it takes enough effort to put together a good one with stills that half the time, I just see people with an axe to grind having the motivation to put them together (which doesn't necessarily mean they're inaccurate, either). This one seemed to be an honest try though, because I think those are all normal in-game exposure levels, and that's basically the first bend on the track.

Gestault

Another good comparison by Motogamestv
AC vs GTS Mercedes Amg Gt3 Nurburgring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhLaiUP29g

The trees and overall exposure levels in AC are looking more realistic in this footage. The steady shader draw-in on tree details in GTS should be addressed before launch, because it really sticks out. There seems to be more variation in the AC trees, and fewer patches where they're obviously repeating the same trees for a whole stretch (the "Space Harrier" effect).

That said, a few spots where things open up and the more direct sunlight in the GTS version shows on the roadway ahead are beautiful, and I do notice some more obvious "billboard" trees in the AC footage. The uphill blind turn looks significantly nicer in the GTS clip.

Cobaiye

These more sim like racers ought to take some notes from DRIVECLUB when it comes to audio, especially when it comes to cockpit acoustics. I've grown to dislike things sounding like you're following the car when you're actually behind the wheel.

The AMG GT3 is a racecar, it's extremely loud inside.

HoodWinked

ya the tress for gt sport have got to be placeholder you start to see repetition in the trees. also the dash gauge glow in gts is too aggressive for the time of day

but for the follow cam gts is way better than ac. glow from the brake lights is way more dynamic and you can see the ripple strip colors being reflected on the car's exterior.

It's sort of 50/50, because I was curious too and took a look. It's accurate to that corner, but that corner looks a bit worse than other kitty-litter areas in the game.

A different spot would better show the "zen garden" lines on the trackside, but that ground texture and lack of transition between the materials is definitely used there. If you look back maybe 30-45 degrees, the sun angle would glint off the the surfaces like in Assetto Corsa. If you picked a different corner, you could just as easily show the highlighted detail in one game and have the other two look more plain. It's just how sun direction works. Heck, I got defensive of GT6 when there was the Willow Springs comparison to GTS at different times of day.

It's one of those things where it's a high-ish speed area, so in motion, those textures look ok (I think the coarse, high-contrast texture is a design choice even though it looks bad in standstill). It's easy enough to pick unflattering comparisons for any/all of the sims, and it takes enough effort to put together a good one with stills that half the time, I just see people with an axe to grind having the motivation to put them together (which doesn't necessarily mean they're inaccurate, either). This one seemed to be an honest try though, because I think those are all normal in-game exposure levels, and that's basically the first bend on the track.
I just checked myself yesterday, and yeah it's kind of bad place to take a pic. Makes the game look bland, plus the gravel looks inverted up close for some weird reason.

Took a quick pic of the textures from above, tarmac and curb look great. The green are transition and gravel though, not so good. Especially the gravel. On distance and in speed they look fine though, so it's nitpicking.

9bea6c33-6ae1-4ab0-a7gkuop.png

l2ounD

It's one of those things where it's a high-ish speed area, so in motion, those textures look ok (I think the coarse, high-contrast texture is a design choice even though it looks bad in standstill).

Whaaaat.. sorry that sounds so ridiculous. Every game has its rough patches but to think it is a design choice that was done purposely bad speaks very poorly of Turn10. Just chalk it up as a bad spot like other games have.

Whaaaat.. sorry that sounds so ridiculous. Every game has its rough patches but to think it is a design choice that was done purposely bad speaks very poorly of Turn10. Just chalk it up as a bad spot like other games have.

It is a poor design choice. They dont benefit in any way (performance, implementation) by having textures with more or less contrast. This way it is easier to tell in motion that it's sand, but in standstill it looks bad

Gestault

If you don't understand how texture scale/clarity gets changed depending on how it's used, that's fine, but if you read a sentence like that as equivocation, I got nothing for you.

Edit: I take that back, lemmie at least try. See below.

l2ounD

It is a poor design choice. They dont benefit in any way (performance, implementation) by having textures with more or less contrast. This way it is easier to tell in motion that it's sand, but in standstill it looks bad

Ok, I guess I dont get it. Cant they make it look good in standstill and it'll look good in motion regardless. Isnt that how the other textures work?

Gestault

Ok, I guess I dont get it. Cant they make it look good in standstill and it'll look good in motion regardless. Isnt that how the other textures work?

Basically, if you don't plan around the view distance or use of a texture, things like AF and motion blur can make them look unexpectedly flat compared to what you want from a starting asset. Often, you can work around this by exagerrating them one way or another.

This isn't the best example, but just using motion blur: The top-left image shows more detail, and is the natural contrast level. The top-right image is that texture scaled up with a bit more contrast added. When you run the same motion blur on the two, your get the bottom row:

A lot of people would expect to see something more like the bottom-right, given the top-left starting texture. More of the "granularity" shows through the motion from the altered version, even though it looks a little goofy just staring at it.

There are little instances of this stuff in every game. Fighting weak AF in particular has been a bear, this gen. When you look at in gameplay (I'm borrowing your GTS gif, just because it's that same corner), it's not like the Forza 6 surface looks like a nightmare:

t6gdpDT.gif

WzHTcZd.gif

l2ounD

Might as well use standard cars cockpits if you cant see shit inside it

I hope its something that they can adjust to be better cause some cars seem to handle it better than others. Even with HDR where you can see more details in the shadows it still feels way to dark which is a shame cause the interiors are pretty cool looking

Gestault

I hope its something that they can adjust to be better cause some cars seem to handle it better than others. Even with HDR where you can see more details in the shadows it still feels way to dark which is a shame cause the interiors are pretty cool looking

Does the beta have the exposure setting in the options yet?

Dirt 4 is so and so old-gen looking.
Aiming to 60 fps for arcade racing is bad idea.
Bullshit, if you know anything about the history of arcade racers, they SHOULD be 60 fps.

Daytona USA
Ridge Racer
Sega Rally Championship

All glorious arcade titles running at 60fps and paving the way for modern racers with tons of innovation in the racing genre and graphics department.

Top Bottom