• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

TBiddy

GTS looks a LOT better, more so then should be expected from the horsepower difference between the 2 consoles

How do you quantify that? Do you think GTS looks 10, 20 or perhaps 30% better? 40% better? How did you arrive at that specific number? Do you know if GTS is 60 FPS locked?

I'm sorry, but statements like that just screams "I like this console more, so I must praise it.".

Bare in mind FM6 is two years old at this point. I think when we see FM7 at E3 we'll have a better gauge of where T10 is in terms of graphical fidelity.

Important note, indeed. Sometimes I wonder what T10 could've done on a 30 FPS game, but I guess we have FH3 for that.

Sebmugi

well..personally the game of car that I expect the most is the next production of evolution studio even if it will be multiplatform I think that it will be a pearl
With the scorpio and the pro like resource I think a big slap...I hope the very good 1080p (30/60fps I do not care)

This damn 4K will still delay the appearance of games because it consumes too much resources just for display :/

Sini

Cool finally I feel that the team of evolution studio we shared their know how, the shaders on the bodywork looks much like those of Driveclub <3 yum
It will boost codemaster!

170518084442615198.gif

https://youtu.be/wdiUOHZYav0
Wow if that's in-engine. Finally another game with self-reflections then.

Yup.

Forza, Assetto Corsa, and R3E all have a laser scanned Nurburgring and they're all very similar to each other, so if there's an inconsistency between Forza and GT, I'm inclined to believe it's GT that's the outlier.

i mean going by the above comparison, its quite clearly forza that is far off from reality

Hux1ey

Banned
Yup.

Forza, Assetto Corsa, and R3E all have a laser scanned Nurburgring and they're all very similar to each other, so if there's an inconsistency between Forza and GT, I'm inclined to believe it's GT that's the outlier.

iRacing too!

i mean going by the above comparison, its quite clearly forza that is far off from reality

Too hard to tell tbh, GT has a higher camera with it's weird ass roof cam.

Yup.

TBF the major difference seems to be track side details. GT seems a bit more true to life with the amount of trees.

As far as the actual track goes I think Forza finally got its Ring sorted out once they started using that scanned version after F5.

I always felt like forza toned down tire flexing in 5 and 6 to the point where you hardly notice it.

It really just depends on the car and the setup. If you have a car with chunky tires like a 60s muscle car, there's more tire to flex and you'll notice it more. For a car with thinner tires, like the Hyundai Genesis in the shots, you'll probably need to have lower pressure in your setup to notice it easily. I'm about to make an FH3 comparison with the same car just so we have all bases covered.

EDIT: Here we go. Exaggerated with low tire pressure just to demonstrate:

cooldawn

Looking over that thread... you're probably right, that this would be a pretty boring (and potentially annoying) back-and-forth. Whilst I'll agree that seeing footage of a game running locked for X amount of minutes is hardly a guarantee that framedrops outright don't exist ever in a title... it's hardly "history" that indicates it won't be 60fps locked either. Shit, I'd even argue that being able to show literally minutes of footage where the framerate is locked at 60fps is significantly more historical evidence, than a lack of footage showing otherwise. In that previous discussion, you remarked that "if Digital Foundry says it's stable all of the time, you take their word for it"... fair enough, but if you're going to claim that it isn't 60fps (and by extension the next game won't be either), then you need to substantiate it, and with more than "well, maybe if we ran the tests for hours we'd possibly find some".
Sorry it's took so long but these threads move so fast I seem to miss it lots.

Yeah...I absolutely agree with you.

What I take issue with is people generalising. I read too much 'Forza Motorsport' and 'Turn 10' but, in isolation, there are instances where frame-rates have faltered. I don't care if Forza Motorsport 6 is supposedly 'rock-solid', it's doesn't matter to me in the slightest, but it has been shown Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Motorsport 3 are not. The generalisation is disingenuous because it implies everything 'Forza Motorsport' or 'Turn 10' related is perfect, when they are not.

So, that's why comments like 'The game never, EVER, drops below from 60 fps, its rock solid.', in context to last generation Forza Motorsport games, isn't right. There's specific emphasis in there which makes it worse too! Again, comments like 'Wait, you're saying Forza Motorsport games don't run at a consistent 60 fps? What?'...well yes I am with evidential reasons, or 'And Forza Motorsport has been 60 fps for years now.', when it hasn't since years includes previous releases. It's plain to see yet completely shrugged under the carpet.

Then there's interpretation. My comments may be accurate but they are perceived as something different. All I'm saying is those games can, and do, fall under 60fps. I'm not saying Turn 10 are crap or that there performance technology isn't better than everyone else because, quite clearly, it is. That's another thing history tells us...Forza Motorsport games have always ran way better than Gran Turismo games. In fact I can use evidence to show this too and I'm sure some people would lap it up...just a shame they can't acknowledge evidence that shows the other side of the story.

The Digital Foundry thing...well it's Digital Foundry. As I said before Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo have massive campaign progression and racing games are hardly an exciting prospect for them. With so much content and differing scenarios I'd be massively surprised if they got to see where each of these games really falter (unless it's Gran Turismo, of course). I'm of the mind they dip in to campaign mode to get captures but most probably use Arcade/Single Race modes for most of their research. I could be wrong, though, but that's just my thoughts on them and racing games.

That's not even the real issue imo. It's that he acts like the lack of that evidence is proof that the drops exist. He states matter-of-factly that FM7 won't be 60fps, then cited "history" as why it won't.
That's not what I'm saying, Read above.

There's so many things you can critizise about FM5/6 - and he chooses the one thing, that they actually nail. I don't get it.
See, this is what I mean. Evidentially, for example, Forza Motorsport 5 fails the test but it's swept under the carpet.

You're tripping in your own arguments here. These factors you list have been neglected to hit that framerate that Forza is so famous for having so stable. I don't give shit about real-time day/night cycles if the game is falling down to 40-50 fps a lot. Hopefully GTS can keep focus on delivering a super stable framerate in the final product and go ape shit over details that shouldn't be prioritised.
Again, I agree but there should be a fair consideration of the whole package, right? That's why Gran Turismo 5 was a back-breaker but is still regarded as one of the best looking games of a generation. On a machine that was, apparently, underpowered. Take with one, give with another. Swings and roundabouts.

In other news I hope either Microsoft buy PlayGround Games or let them speak with Sony about that MotorStorm franchise. I think they would be a perfect fit for it.

Also, I hope Evolution are working on more than just F1. I hope there are doing their own thing.

I just wanted to share this little replay edit (cut from three different versions of the same replay) and mini time lapse at the end from Driveclub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7YjGEgHzw

I've been thinking about what the Evolution Studios team might be up to over at Codemasters. Part of my hopes for another arcade-like game in the roots of PGR or DC, while another part of me wants a spiritual successor to the Motorstorm games.

DD

I just wanted to share this little replay edit (cut from three different versions of the same replay) and mini time lapse at the end from Driveclub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7YjGEgHzw

I've been thinking about what the Evolution Studios team might be up to over at Codemasters. Part of my hopes for another arcade-like game in the roots of PGR or DC, while another part of me wants a spiritual successor to the Motorstorm games.

I was all about traditional rallying, but recently I got really interested in racing trucks and buggies. Considering the offroad roots of Evolution with the WRC and Motorstorm series, I'd effin love to see a Dirt series spin off like they did with Dirt Rally, but focused on trucks and buggies instead traditional rally (which I still love). Something like a Baja 1000 game, or the Dakar, or Rally dos Sertoes, something cross country like. :3

I was all about traditional rallying, but recently I got really interested in racing trucks and buggies. Considering the offroad roots of Evolution with the WRC and Motorstorm series, I'd effin love to see a Dirt series spin off like they did with Dirt Rally, but focused on trucks and buggies instead traditional rally (which I still love). Something like a Baja 1000 game, or the Dakar, or Rally dos Sertoes, something cross country like. :3
Honestly if they could finally do what the original Motorstorm trailer showed off it'd be fantastic. Something either open-world-like or simply long ass point to point off road racing would be incredible. Doesn't even need to include EVERY kind of vehicle, but you know :p

(Motorstorm CG reveal) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wig-XT8Rbiw

DD

Gestault

Interesting, thanks for clearing it up.

That's the awkward thing with tracks - depending on when the game was made, they can all be accurate but different.

I sort of wish they had the year spec for the sims. So like if it's specifically a scan from 2012 of [whatever], that's either in the name or at least something in-game you can find.

Can someone gif the seat belts reacting and stretching with the driver. It's apparent in Road cars like the Focus ST (look left in cockpit view).

Also not sure if people are aware but you can still zoom in using the triangle button in replays in GTSport.

drotahorror

What if Evolution x Codemasters are working on a new FUEL? FUEL was open world, off road, weather effects, even tornados. Would love a new FUEL.

Can you rotate the camera around the car from the behind car view in gt sport like in drive club? I'd very much love to do that in gameplay

l2ounD

Can you rotate the camera around the car from the behind car view in gt sport like in drive club? I'd very much love to do that in gameplay

For the chase cam? They had it in previous builds of the beta where you can rotate 360 but currently they took it out and its locked behind or in front.

Top Bottom