• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to deal (mentally) with spouse's chronic illness that will only get worse (MS).

My gf was diagnosed with MS in 2015, and it's been a rough ride. She is doing well at the moment, but the nature of MS is that you will get repeating relapses (inflammation in the brain/spine) that accumulate more and more permanent damage.

She is on medication at the moment (Tecfidera - dimethyl fumarate), and will be hopefully switching to stronger medication (Lemtrada - alemtuzumab) soon.

Every case of MS is slightly different, and Lemtrada seems to slow or stop progression in around 50% of people who use it (though there are also significant side effects). In 10 years (at age 37) she could be walking and working...or she could be in a wheelchair and need constant care.

It's tough to handle on a day-to-day basis. It's always on my mind, and I know if she can no longer work that I will be responsible for both of our income and support (though at the moment she does have good access to long-term disability insurance, assuming her job remains the same). We live in Canada so at least her primary medical care (and medication) are covered by the government.

I've been through therapy before, and the main concept is that you effectively stop yourself from thinking about bad things through reinforcement strategies (cognitive behavioural therapy). This lets you feel better for much of the time, as you can avoid cycling down into despair.

But what about when the source of the despair is always there, and always needs to be considered? Last week she was feeling really bad and so we couldn't go to a BBQ that we had been looking forward to. I don't blame her at all, but I know she feels bad that her MS prevents us from doing things (it causes massive fatigue). Friends can't really understand why we have to 'flake out' on many things, or leave events early. One time I was picking my friend up from supper at his parent's place to go out, and they told me to dump her and find someone new so that my life wasn't limited. It made me so mad (and something I will never do). People who haven't dealt with MS or similar illnesses just can't understand.

I find I can no longer relate to people who don't understand what we are going through. I look at people I know and think "you just don't get it, you don't understand what a true burden is." To clarify, I don't consider my gf a burden, I mean the disease and coping with it. I can't enjoy simple things or fun things because the thought of the futility of it all is always in the back of my head. I feel jealous and angry towards people who are carefree and just live life without thought. I feel kind of like (in a weird way) those people who have kids and then say "you just don't understand." The comparison is also fitting in that people with kids slowly drift away from single friends. I feel like we are (and will continue) doing the same.

I am considering going back to a counselor as I've been feeling very depressed about it lately, and it's affecting my own ability to do things and function. I stay stoic around her, but how can we deal with something that will slowly take her life away from her, one relapse at a time?

Sorry if that isn't written out very well, I'm kind of making it up as I go.

DOWN

Banned
Sorry to hear this OP. MS runs in my family and my grandmother was the most recent to get hurt by it. It’s tough but committing to treatments is a help for a lot of people (some people don’t do much to help themselves).

Oddly enough, Amy Schumer touches on MS quite earnestly in her book The Girl with the Lower Back Tatoo and I really enjoyed reading it. She recently experienced trying to get new treatments for her father who has faced decline due to having MS.

It’s tough so I highly recommend talking to a professional about how down and fatigued you can get. Helping someone who is facing illness takes a lot of guts and love.

Thanks. Shortly after she was diagnosed my gf went to see Amy Schumer's movie...where she says her dad died of MS. Lol. Never mind that that is not a thing, it also wasn't great timing having just been diagnosed.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Shortly after she was diagnosed my gf went to see Amy Schumer's movie...where she says her dad died of MS. Lol. Never mind that that is not a thing, it also wasn't great timing having just been diagnosed.

Oof, sounds like the time I drove my gf home from her brother's funeral - he had committed suicide by hanging. We were numb and I just turned on the only thing that I thought might be funny - The Simpsons... and there was a hanging joke immediately. Unreal.

OP, very sorry to hear about the diagnosis. My uncle has been in that situation for over 30 years - my aunt was diagnosed in her mid 30s. He has had a rough road, but has always said his secret has been positive thinking and open communication with my aunt - about all the troubles they've faced.

She has gone through waves where medications have helped and she's been walking and fine, and then periods of time where she has her wheelchair.

Go back to that counselor - open up and talk about everything - beyond her and the MS - get raw and let it out and try to sort it out and figure out a plan.

Best of luck with everything!

Blu10

My mother has had MS for 25 years. The drugs have gotten progressively better over the years, and I would expect them to continue to do so. She still gets around with a cane, and is still working. There are also plenty of work from home opportunities.

Don't be disheartened, all is far from lost.

DOWN

Banned
Well her real life dad is very much alive and getting treatment so the book ends on a wonderful note about their searches for treatments.

Keep hope and do what it takes to care for your happiness. You can’t help someone else if you let yourself get crushed and overwhelmed.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My wife has MS but it's basically 100% fatigue thus far (diagnosed 2015 as well). She's had a day or two of heavy "brain fog" but nothing permanent. She takes Copaxone since Tecfildera made her violently ill.

Everyone is different but most cases of MS are very manageable with proper treatment, diet, and exercise (since remitting-relapsing is the most common form...which is also the most mild). The progression can be very, very slow.

Also because the disease isn't as variable as something like cancer, the odds for a cure or sustained remission are only increasing as time goes on.

I tend to enjoy more sedentary activities so having a wife with MS is pretty compatible with my lifestyle. I can see how it would be difficult for someone who wants to go rock climbing and marathon running though.

We're also in our mid 30s so going home at 930 or so isn't at all abnormal. I imagine late 20s still has that pressure to go out all the time.

Edit: my wife drinks "Spark" from Advocare every morning to help combat fatigue. It's pretty effective. She still goes to bed early though.

I know a girl with chronic fatigue syndrome and that seemed way worse to be honest

Edit edit: forgot to mention that if you're worried about your girlfriend not being able to work - don't bother. It might take 30+ years before the bad stuff kicks in if it does at all. Have to factor in that treatments today are much better than they used to be so you can't look at other older people and assume that's how she'll turn out.

Vagabundo

One day at a time. Keep up friendships and hobbies.

Start practising mediation and mindfulness. Practice gratitude.

It's tough. Its unfair. But that's life.

Where did you get that? We plan to get engaged this winter.

I'm going to be the bad guy here for a second.

You might be the strongest person in the world. The best moral character, but in the end, chances are that you will resent the choice you're about to make.

My brother married a girl who had very mild epilepsy when he was in his twenties.

He's about to turn 40 and he is miserable. His wife's epilepsy got worse over the years. She's had multiple car accidents due to it. She's fallen down the stairs at home and hurt herself. She was going to be a doctor and that completely fell apart. They have no children and I know he always wanted them. It's gotten to the point where she doesn't leave the house most days. That's his life now.

To be clear. I love my sister in law. It's obviously not her fault, but I've seen what it's done to my brother.

I don't know your girlfriend's specific case and maybe it will never get that bad for her. Maybe it will.

The worst feeling isn't leaving or being left by someone. The worst feeling is growing to resent someone you loved.

Yeah MS is rough, I'm really sorry to hear that. I have a good friend who has MS, and like you said, the symptoms come and go. She has had good success with a topical product called Daddy Bones which soothes her inflammation. She still gets really tired/exhausted sometimes.

As for the day to day "burden", that can really be a drag. My oldest son was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart (basically 2 of the 4 chambers in his heart are completely non-functional). He is 16 now, so I've been living with that "burden" for 16 years. If you want advice, all I can say is stick with therapy and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE what you are taught there. It's like taking piano lessons. You can take the lessons, but if you don't practice, you won't get good. I was going to individual and couples therapy for a long time, and about 4 years ago I "graduated" to a moderated men's group therapy. I still go every week. Best thing I've ever done.

Stay strong man. Thanks for sharing.

MikeyB

I have dealt with a milder but somewhat similar situation. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis. Mostly under control at the moment, but she is on the strongest class of drugs already and when it flares up, she can't lift much or drive and she sleeps and sleeps and sleeps.

It could stay controlled or even go into remission. However, absent a cure, it is likely to get worse over our lives together. Here's how I have dealt with it.

1. Enjoy right now. Right this moment, enjoy the company of your significant other. Make memories.

2. Make extra efforts to enjoy this moment. Splurge on that trip or spa or show together. Or just take more opportunities to get out and about with them. If possible, loosen up your pursestrings. Because saving for future vacations that they may not be able to enjoy is pointless.

3. Be comfortable with expressing your love through caregiving. Helping them get dressed isn't a chore. It is a hug and a kiss in a different form. It is hard to resent hugs and kisses.

4. Let your boss know if you anticipate being at the company for a while. You may have to ask for extra leniency if you find yourself unexectedly helping out more than normal in a morning.

5. Stay fit. Take care of your health. Those transformed hugs and kisses can take a bit of muscle and you cannot give them if you aren't well. Especially if any of the meds are immunosuppressants.

6. But before you even get there, think about being 30 years down the road and giving a lot of care. You will have time to adjust, but if the idea viscerally horrifies you, get out now. It is better for you and her.

Edit: want to add that you should probably figure out if you are okay with the idea of your lifestyle not getting progressively better over time. If her income is reduced, that may mean moving into a smaller home, traveling less, etc. Think about it and if you can imagine being happy with less, leave it at that. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Cabal

I’ve had MS since 2009. I’ve had a few attacks that have ranged from mild to completely debilitating. BUT most of it was temporary. I haven’t had a new attack in over 5 years. My only permanent effect is that I have nerve damage in my left hand. Like it’s alseep all of the time, but I’ve learned to use it even to the point where I can play guitar and games without much issue. The truth is I can get up tomorrow and have an attack that takes my ability to walk. I can also get in a car wreck and have the same thing happen. You can’t spend your life worrying about what ifs.

Some of the best things happened to me after my diagnosis. My wife and I became closer, she is my rock. I lost 30 pounds. I eat much better and I live healthier. I have a daughter now and another baby on the way. Life...goes on. Just like normal.

With the medication they have now, very few people are going to have sudden swift debilitation. Yes it can happen, but so many things can happen to completely healthy people. There aren’t any guarantees in life but it’s a mistake to think that an MS diagnosis ends in a wheelchair for everyone.

If you love your girlfriend, truly love her, then be there for her and try not to make yourself sick over a worse case scenario. In the end all it does it stress you out, which will stress her out, which could actually bring an attack.

I wish you and your SO all the best, and if you have any questions you can certainly PM me. I haven’t seen it all obviously but certainly I have had my (mostly) ups and (some) downs.

gosox333

Breaking up with her is something you will never do... but you won't marry her?

Jesus christ are you serious? I cannot believe people here sometimes.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Stop looking for reasons to make a snide comment on the internet.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I'm sorry for what you're going through, and I'm sorry that I don't have any great advice.

My wife is in her late 20's and had a few health issues that we thought were taken care of.
A few months ago she was diagnosed with a rare degenerative condition where they start to talk about 5 year mortality rates. I was a mess, but I made sure she didn't see it. She's been handling it like the absolute champion she is, while I am a shell of who I was. I'm not breaking down constantly any more (I never let her see it) it still happens randomly, and life just doesn't feel the same.

She doesn't even feel bad now, and we're just trying to make the most of it. That's what helps. Keeping busy, doing what you guys love, and just enjoying what you have. I remind myself constantly how lucky I am that I got to be in her presence at all, but it's impossible to maintain the constant positivity.

Anyway, I doubt this helped you, and it certainly didn't help me, but I wish you and her all the best.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I’ve had MS since 2009. I’ve had a few attacks that have ranged from mild to completely debilitating. BUT most of it was temporary. I haven’t had a new attack in over 5 years. My only permanent effect is that I have nerve damage in my left hand. Like it’s alseep all of the time, but I’ve learned to use it even to the point where I can play guitar and games without much issue. The truth is I can get up tomorrow and have an attack that takes my ability to walk. I can also get in a car wreck and have the same thing happen. You can’t spend your life worrying about what ifs.

Some of the best things happened to me after my diagnosis. My wife and I became closer, she is my rock. I lost 30 pounds. I eat much better and I live healthier. I have a daughter now and another baby on the way. Life...goes on. Just like normal.

With the medication they have now, very few people are going to have sudden swift debilitation. Yes it can happen, but so many things can happen to completely healthy people. There aren’t any guarantees in life but it’s a mistake to think that an MS diagnosis ends in a wheelchair for everyone.

If you love your girlfriend, truly love her, then be there for her and try not to make yourself sick over a worse case scenario. In the end all it does it stress you out, which will stress her out, which could actually bring an attack.

I wish you and your SO all the best, and if you have any questions you can certainly PM me. I haven’t seen it all obviously but certainly I have had my (mostly) ups and (some) downs.

Good post

I was feeling naive compared to other posts here in regards to my wife's condition until you said what you did. You're 100% correct that you can't worry about the far future like that because there's no guarantee that anything will happen. They might cure the damn thing in 20 years and all that worry about the advanced stages were for nothing (because, again, it's a well understood disease with a known cause where the only variable is the progression)

I always felt like worrying about something that far away was also futile because one of us might get cancer, have a heart attack, die in a car wreck, get Alzheimer's, etc. etc.

I'd also encourage the OP to google famous people with MS and how you'd never even know it.

One day at a time. Keep up friendships and hobbies.

Start practising mediation and mindfulness. Practice gratitude.

It's tough. Its unfair. But that's life.

This and look for support groups. No matter how bad something is - knowing that you aren't the only ones going through it and being able to share experiences and seek advice from others always helps. You can find that brightness in the dark days through that support and keep going.

wish you two all the best.

jb1234

As far as friends and chronic illness go, a lot of people flat-out can't handle it. It's like a look into their own mortality. When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I lost a lot of them. Some didn't believe the diagnosis, some drifted apart when I could no longer do the same activities (I spend most of my time in bed) and others just became spiteful. It sucks but it also narrows down the ones who really, truly give a shit and those are the ones you need to be relying on.

Because these types of illnesses affect women more frequently, there's a lot of husbands dealing with the same stuff you are and you might find comfort in seeking them out. The internet is a great tool for this.

Media

I'm on the other side of this situation and I feel for you, so much.

I have several Autoimmune diseases, including RA and Sjogrens. Most people have heard of RA but don't know how devastating it can be, but no one's heard of sjogrens and if they have its just 'dry mouth and eyes'.

Sjogrens is the worst of the two however, and my poor fucking husband has had to watch it when it attacks the lining of my brain and turns me into someone he doesn't even recognize. For myself, I just remember feeling very drunk and sleepy when it happens but I get aphasia, I can't walk, and sometimes ramble about death. It attacks every moisture producing gland in my body, which is basically you know... Your whole body.

Combined with the joint damage and pain from RA, I am fucking useless as a housewife and mother though I try my best. Only my oldest remembers me not being sick and sometimes I feel like if this shit just killed me, the family would be better off without this financially and physically draining anchor being dragged around.

I imagine your gf feels guilty like that as well. I wish I had more advice, but I hope her meds help.

My mom has MS but refuses to accept it. She's only had one attack in three years, and doesn't take any meds, seems to do okay. Hope your gf enter a similar sort of remission

Maxrunner

I have MS and since switching from interferon beta to fingolimod pills I have yet to have any kind of relapse or physical issue besides fatigue. I had Ms diagnosed at age 20 though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have dealt with a milder but somewhat similar situation. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis. Mostly under control at the moment, but she is on the strongest class of drugs already and when it flares up, she can't lift much or drive and she sleeps and sleeps and sleeps.

It could stay controlled or even go into remission. However, absent a cure, it is likely to get worse over our lives together. Here's how I have dealt with it.

1. Enjoy right now. Right this moment, enjoy the company of your significant other. Make memories.

2. Make extra efforts to enjoy this moment. Splurge on that trip or spa or show together. Or just take more opportunities to get out and about with them. If possible, loosen up your pursestrings. Because saving for future vacations that they may not be able to enjoy is pointless.

3. Be comfortable with expressing your love through caregiving. Helping them get dressed isn't a chore. It is a hug and a kiss in a different form. It is hard to resent hugs and kisses.

4. Let your boss know if you anticipate being at the company for a while. You may have to ask for extra leniency if you find yourself unexectedly helping out more than normal in a morning.

5. Stay fit. Take care of your health. Those transformed hugs and kisses can take a bit of muscle and you cannot give them if you aren't well. Especially if any of the meds are immunosuppressants.

6. But before you even get there, think about being 30 years down the road and giving a lot of care. You will have time to adjust, but if the idea viscerally horrifies you, get out now. It is better for you and her.

Edit: want to add that you should probably figure out if you are okay with the idea of your lifestyle not getting progressively better over time. If her income is reduced, that may mean moving into a smaller home, traveling less, etc. Think about it and if you can imagine being happy with less, leave it at that. Cross that bridge when you get there.
might be some of the best advice you are going to get OP

Because every life committed relationship = marriage, right

I also don't get where he got the idea that I don't intend to marry her. I didn't mention that anywhere in the OP. We've only been dating for a little under 3 years, and we plan to get engaged this winter, and then married in 1.5-2 years.

Thanks, that's all really good advice.

I have two good friends with MS. One is the wife of a deceased co-worker of mine who we are still close with. Another is a good family friend whose daughter is one my daughter's best friends. They have their down days, but they also have a lot of good ones.

These are wonderful people who I enjoy spending time with.

In my own family, my wife has been disabled for a good half of our 21 years of marriage. She has severe osteoarthritis and has had both knees replaced and just finished a revision of one knee. There have been adjustments, but her disability hasn't stopped us from having a great life together. Last year we went on a couple of vacations. We hit Disney and Universal in California (yeah, Harry Potter world!). My wife enjoyed them from a mobility scooter. Our kids (teens) and I hit a few rides while she sat out knowing her knees would not let her fit comfortably, but for the vast majority of the park activities we could still have fun doing things together. We also had a week at a lakeside resort. While she didn't get in the water for sailing and waterskiing with us, she did enjoy swimming, golf and taking loads of pictures of our antics. Just a couple of weeks ago we went to see U2 in concert. We had great service at the venue, and had excellent seating at a handicapped accessible platform where she had room for her wheelchair so her legs could be comfortably extended. Yes, there were a few challenges that most concertgoers didn't face, but those challenges didn't stop us from enjoying the concert just as much as they did. Maybe more so.

So we still get to do all kinds of fun things together as a couple and a family.

All excellent advice, but this one is tremendously important. As they say on airplanes, "Secure your own mask before assisting other passengers". I recently took up running with my son to spruce up my own fitness. I had a mild twinge of guilt knowing my wife couldn't run with me, but that was quickly dismissed knowing that if I stay healthy I can better care for her. I told her about the brief guilt and she laughed and is fully supportive of my running. That's a partnership, both sides make adjustments so you can face life together as a couple.

Jesus christ are you serious? I cannot believe people here sometimes.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Stop looking for reasons to make a snide comment on the internet.

The rush to be morally superior™ tends to make people act like bucket of dick holes.

The rush to be morally superior™ tends to make people act like bucket of dick holes.

Not related to what that guy said, but the moral superiority issue happens a lot for people with MS who use handicap parking, and it's one of the reasons my gf won't get a placard.

It's quite common for people with MS to have invisible symptoms such as neuropathic pain and weakness/numbness, so they often get parking passes so they can be closer to building entrances. People will often see a 25-35-year old woman get out of the vehicle and seem healthy, and will verbally assault them for 'abusing' the system. It's like, do you know what they are going through? So many disabilities are invisible, you should never judge someone before you understand them.

Thank you. We do actually have a trip to Cuba planned for February :)

We both also go to the gym together 3-5 times per week. Beyond being healthy, exercise has impressive results with MS progression (in terms of muscle weakness). Her neurologist really pushes it, which we are happy with (along with aggressive pharma treatment).

muu

Got married to my wife earlier this month. She’s got RRMS and has had it since 2009. In 2011 she had a bad relapse that left her in a wheel chair, through rehab she’s back on her feet. She can’t feel touch on the left side of her body. Like your gf she currently takes tecfidera, though she used to play the tysabri roulette before she got pregnant.

We have a 3 yr old daughter. Not being able to hang out due to fatigue and whatnot isn’t all that big of a deal since I’d be home playing w my daughter anyway. Most days after work and after dinner she’s in the bedroom resting. Get used to he fact that you’ll probably be breadwinner and cook and house cleaner.

I do a decent amount of biking. I don’t have nearly as much time to do it these days, but I’ve gotten my wife into the cycling thing making it a family activity. For the last 3 years we’ve done the Bike MS fundraiser together and she’s been able to complete the shorter 35mi course. Look into recumbent trikes if you’re interested. We’re planning on upgrading from a lower end sun trike to a high end ICE trike, possibly w the new shimano pedal assist which could make riding together much more fun.

The outlook isn’t great — last neurologist she had was amazed that she could walk, as the brain scan would suggest she’s barely surviving on the wheel chair. The bad shit probably will happen, but you can’t let that fuck with the joys you have in the present.

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. If you want some people locally that you can vent with, by all means get involved with the National MS society. You are not alone in this.

MS isn't the best. My mum has it and is disabled and needs help with everything. She even needs to be fed etc. Sadly she didn't get the medicine she needed at the right time. So that being said, and with all the difficulties she has a quality of life still and enjoys it.

We get out, go to restaurants, have family occasions enjoy life. I would suggest your really early into this diagnosis and it's the shock stage your in. Every change is going to affect you, but believe me. It gets easier. You can still have kids but it won't be the easiest as they are demanding especially on mother's, however be honest and try not to let this disease rule everything. I guess you have to learn to live with it. It's going to be ok. You need to roll with it and accept what happens with a smile as best you can.

Good luck and try not to worry. You may get lucky and have many many many years where your "soon to be" wife gets tied now and then. Don't waste them but do go into them knowing that things may change but your not going to let that consume you.

Takes a real man to take care of a woman with MS.

Vectron you have your beefs but seem to be up to the task. Become strong. You will need to become stronger than you ever imagined to make it through with a smile. But it is possible. It has been done. It's just a matter of will.

I'm on the other side of where you are now. My lady has gotten worse, imagine all the things you're afraid of happening. They fucking happened and then some.

We're still here. I'm still here. She's happy.

The best thing you can do is plan for it all. Plan the inevitable demise and enjoy the ride however you can.

Going to Vegas? Plan for events to take into account the times she'll get exhausted.

You'll be fine. Just don't let yourself become weak as a man or plan poorly. That's when resentment comes in.

Don't think my lady and I have ever been happier together.

My girlfriend's mother has MS (has been diagnosed for years), and something that really helped her was moving to a hotter, dryer climate.

She originally lived south of Seattle, but now lives not far from Vegas.

That plus getting on the right drugs (or actually TAKING the drugs, if I remember right she refused to take them for a while initially) has helped her live a fairly normal life.

My girlfriend's mother has MS (has been diagnosed for years), and something that really helped her was moving to a hotter, dryer climate.

She originally lived south of Seattle, but now lives not far from Vegas.

That plus getting on the right drugs (or actually TAKING the drugs, if I remember right she refused to take them for a while initially) has helped her live a fairly normal life.

https://www.verywell.com/an-overview-of-heat-intolerance-and-ms-2440799

For a lot of people heat worsens MS. It may have helped that person but generally, heat worsens things.

https://www.verywell.com/an-overview-of-heat-intolerance-and-ms-2440799

For a lot of people heat worsens MS. It may have helped that person but generally, heat worsens things.

Heat definitely affects my gf. She's really looking forward to the winter, as it's easier for her (less fatigue is the big thing). Fortunately we only really get 3 good months of summer, and 6 months of winter (welcome to the Canadian prairies!)

Thank you for the advice. I hope your wife continues to do as well as she has been.

Friends can't really understand why we have to 'flake out' on many things, or leave events early.

Really? They can't? No offense but how dumb are they?

One time I was picking my friend up from supper at his parent's place to go out, and they told me to dump her and find someone new so that my life wasn't limited

That's shitty. How that friend doesn't have the awareness to keep a comment like that to him/herself is beyond belief.

Seriously, what's up with your friends?

Really? They can't? No offense but how dumb are they?

That's shitty. How that friend doesn't have the awareness to keep a comment like that to him/herself is beyond belief.

Seriously, what's up with your friends?

Sorry I should have worded that part more clearly—his parents said that to me. He did not. But he is the one who is not understanding of her limitations. Sometimes if we have to leave an event early he will say something like "what's going on? Why do you have to go?" He is a very unobservant and unsympathetic individual. We've been drifting apart because of it.

Other people have much better advice on how to deal with your situation, but one thing I'd add after watching my in-laws deal with Parkinson's is to look for some sort of support group. I know that my father-in-law was miserable for the first year or so after his diagnosis, as he and my mother-in-law tried handling everything on their own. Eventually, though, he found various support groups, both in-person and online, and that helped him better understand what he was dealing with. It's still not a great situation, but I think connecting with other people who are going through the same thing has helped them immeasurably.

MikeyB

It's quite common for people with MS to have invisible symptoms such as neuropathic pain and weakness/numbness, so they often get parking passes so they can be closer to building entrances. People will often see a 25-35-year old woman get out of the vehicle and seem healthy, and will verbally assault them for 'abusing' the system. It's like, do you know what they are going through? So many disabilities are invisible, you should never judge someone before you understand them.

Oh my gòd, this a billion times over. I used to get pissed off when people walked too slow or younger people struggled with doors etc. ("You are young, you should take care of yourself." Yes, dickish)

My wife looks healthy, but will struggle with doors, grocery bags, her luggage depending on a flare up. She travels alone for work a lot and people are oftem bothered when she asks for help getting her bags out of overhead or off the belt. She could use the placard for the car some days, but refuses to get it for fear of that verbal assault.

Media

Oh my gòd, this a billion times over. I used to get pissed off when people walked too slow or younger people struggled with doors etc. ("You are young, you should take care of yourself." Yes, dickish)

My wife looks healthy, but will struggle with doors, grocery bags, her luggage depending on a flare up. She travels alone for work a lot and people are oftem bothered when she asks for help getting her bags out of overhead or off the belt. She could use the placard for the car some days, but refuses to get it for fear of that verbal assault.

I'm on crutches right now because I broke my ankle and it's ASTOUNDING how different I am treated than I normally am. Having RA and Sjogrens are extremely serious autoimmune diseases, but are completely invisible, and will never heal. The dirty looks I get when my older mom helps me with shopping and pushes the cart, shit like that...

But broken ankle, which will heal? So many helpful people suddenly.

coopolon

The MS community is amazing. If you haven't done so, I strongly encourage both you and your so to get connected with local support groups. They're incredibly active and supportive (I don't know as much about Canada but I know they are there). They are also really involved in supporting research in ms which I think a lot of people feel empowering, to play a role in defeating this disease.

My wife (them girlfriend) was diagnosed with MS 6 years ago . She was on injections but switched to Gilenya 3 years ago (daily pill). She hasn't had a relapse in 4 years. (Thank god for Canadian healthcare). MS is scary but we are lucky to be dealing with it in 2017- the treatments coming over the next decade show even more promise.

Enjoy the time you have when she is healthy. When she is sick, do whatever you can to make her healthy again as quickly as possible. Just like anything else in life you can't let bad things that may never happen effect you right now.

Top Bottom