• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Nibel

i think for unreal 3 we will get 1080p with 60fps.

And for unreal 4 we will get 720p with 60fps.

Finally confirm :)

ZZmml.gif

Oddduck

Here's what bothers most people about the Wii U.

The reason people were cool with the Wii being underpowered was because the price was $250 while the 360 was $400-500 and the PS3 was $500-$600. And the Wii still had an innovative feature (wii remote).

So you got current gen hardware with innovative controller technology at an affordable price. That's why the Wii was successful.

But with the Wii U...you got current gen hardware (with extra ram) with an innovative controller technology at an much more rumored expensive price (unless Nintendo is willing to take a loss).

If the price of the controller technology is driving up the Wii U's cost, was doing this controller even worth it? For the cost that the controller technology adds to the Wii U, I would have rather had better graphics.

$350 (based on what you guys are predicting) for a slightly more powerful current gen console (sorry, IGN is the only one to say otherwise), + a $50-$60 game is $400 right there.

I only see loyal Nintendo fans like me biting on this console if Nintendo can't price it properly.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
bleh

no 1080p versions of current gen games kinda screams underpowered to me

It may not seem like too big a problem during the first few years of the console's lifespan, but if the rumours are true, Wii U games are probably going to look like ass compared to 720 and PS4 games later in the gen.

I certainly hope it's not this gen all over again.

good lord. the last sentence, the last sentence. ideaman clearly states that streaming an environment + assets to the 480p screen while the main screen is displaying 720p with better post processing features than the 360/ps3 all at a stable frame rate is what's causing it to be a "bit better" than current gen. take the heavily taxing subscreen features away and you'll likely see a performance boost.

It would be "terrible" if an 2012 systen could not get 1080p.

if the ps4/nextbox have all their games at 1080 I'll buy you a cookie.

HylianTom

Banned
Can we stop with this "true next gen" crap? Only thing I considered "next gen", is the way we play games differently than other systems. They're more important than graphics in my opinion.

I think we should start a new game here on the forum.. call it "Guess Which Hardware!" and put-up different screenshots.

Let's see how people would fare, and if they realize that we simply are not going to see the same dramatic jumps that we've seen in the past.

guek

Banned
What'll be really interesting is if Sony or MS decide to copy the tablet controller. Say it happens but MS/Sony obviously put more muscle behind the machine. It'll be both a gain and a loss for wii u. Gain because it would further cement the idea of subscreen gameplay and undoubtedly spawn numerous multiplatform games that made good use of the controller. Loss because it might make the baseline for a lot of games more graphically intensive, thus hurting the chances of a wii u port. Conversely imagine if neither MS and Sony don't employ subscreens It was also help and hurt the wii u. It'd help because that means most ports wouldn't make extensive use of the subscreen anyway, most likely delegating it to simple tasks such as puzzles, menus, and inventory. This would allow more games to be ported while taking a smaller hit to graphical performance. It would also mean that games that do happen to use the subscreen extensively would be more likely built from the ground up for wii u, possibly even being exclusive to the system. However, fewer devs might be inclined to use the subscreen in meaningful ways if the installed base for such games isn't large enough. Nintendo would have a heavier burden making subscreen play an important feature in the next gen.

Nibel

MS and Sony will wait and see how the tablet thingy will turn out for Nintendo - and copy them afterwards when it succeeds.

Here's what bothers most people about the Wii U.

The reason people were cool with the Wii being underpowered was because the price was $250 while the 360 was $400-500 and the PS3 was $500-$600. And the Wii still had an innovative feature (wii remote).

So you got current gen hardware with innovative controller technology at an affordable price. That's why the Wii was successful.

But with the Wii U...you got current gen hardware (with extra ram) with an innovative controller technology at an much more rumored expensive price (unless Nintendo is willing to take a loss).

If the price of the controller technology is driving up the Wii U's cost, was doing this controller even worth it? For the cost that the controller technology adds to the Wii U, I would have rather had better graphics.

$350 for a slightly more powerful current gen console (sorry, IGN is the only one to say otherwise), + a $50-$60 game is $400 right there. I only see loyal Nintendo fans biting on this console if Nintendo can't price it properly.

Early adopters are hardcore gamers/loyal fans in the first place. Wouldn't be that stupid to have an "early adopter tax" from the start and drop the price when PS4/720 come out. Though I doubt it would be more than $299 anyway.

HylianTom

Banned
What'll be really interesting is if Sony or MS decide to copy the tablet controller. Say it happens but MS/Sony obviously put more muscle behind the machine. It'll be both a gain and a loss for wii u. Gain because it would further cement the idea of subscreen gameplay and undoubtedly spawn numerous multiplatform games that made good use of the controller. Loss because it might make the baseline for a lot of games more graphically intensive, thus hurting the chances of a wii u port. Conversely imagine if neither MS and Sony don't employ subscreens It was also help and hurt the wii u. It'd help because that means most ports wouldn't make extensive use of the subscreen anyway, most likely delegating it to simple tasks such as puzzles, menus, and inventory. This would allow more games to be ported while taking a smaller hit to graphical performance. It would also mean that games that do happen to use the subscreen extensively would be more likely built from the ground up for wii u, possibly even being exclusive to the system. However, fewer devs might be inclined to use the subscreen in meaningful ways if the installed base for such games isn't large enough. Nintendo would have a heavier burden making subscreen play an important feature in the next gen.

It would also mean that the graphical difference is lesser if they go with screened controllers, since a portion of processing power would have to be devoted to their own subscreens. Not too shabby.

I definitely think Nintendo announced the uPad well in advance on purpose, just to give that temptation.

Roo

With all this crazy talk.. I wonder how closely Nintendo listened what third parties had to say about what they want, what they expect and the changes they would add to the system to make it future proof enough, compete against the other consoles and avoid being left in the dust again (only talking about third party support)

Bullza2o

to be fair, people are entitled to their own preferences when it comes to tech and the level of advancement they're comfortable with. It just becomes silly when people start assuming that their high standards are equatable to that of the masses.
I agree. I have both a 360 and a Wii, and despite the huge graphical difference between the two my Wii gets a lot more playtime because it has the games that I really want. For the last couple of years I've been mostly renting 360 games when I'm on breaks.
I'm fine with the speculations as long as the Nintendo games are in HD and the tablet is put into good use.

HylianTom

Banned
Are you guys really going to keep dancing between thinking the wii U is 'weak' and alien technology until E3?

Not I. I think it'll be well enough. But then again, I'm pretty easily satisfied and still hold that old-fashioned "you-want-superpower?-Go-grab-a-damn-PC!" attitude.

But watching the dance is dizzying, frustrating, encouraging, and funny.. all at the same time. :)

guek

Banned
It would also mean that the graphical difference is lesser if they go with screened controllers, since a portion of processing power would have to be devoted to their own subscreens. Not too shabby.

I definitely think Nintendo announced the uPad well in advance on purpose, just to give that temptation.

Well it really does depend on how much more powerful PS4/XB3 are going to be than Wii U. Showing the upad so early really was an interesting tactical decision. Or maybe it's all a coincidence :p

HylianTom

Banned
With all this crazy talk.. I wonder how closely Nintendo listened what third parties had to say about what they want, what they expect and the changes they would add to the system to make it future proof enough, compete against the other consoles and avoid being left in the dust again (only talking about third party support)

I wonder if they said, "hey.. here's our chance to bleed 'em to death a bit! Let's tell the Big N that we want power power power! Enough power to see the nits on a bokoblin's asshairs! muahahahaha!"

sorry for bringing that visual back..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
All I know is that I'm very confident in my next-gen mario 1080p 60fps ban bet.

I will be honest, I´d prefer 1080p instead having a subscreen consuming that precious extra power =/

developers have always sacrificed framerate and resolution for eye candy. the subscreen is the new wow factor.

Well it really does depend on how much more powerful PS4/XB3 are going to be than Wii U. Showing the upad so early really was an interesting tactical decision. Or maybe it's all a coincidence :p

I love how everyone assumes that PS4/720 are going to be more powerful than the Wii U.

I don't think it's a given.

fernoca

bleh

no 1080p versions of current gen games kinda screams underpowered to me

It may not seem like too big a problem during the first few years of the console's lifespan, but if the rumours are true, Wii U games are probably going to look like ass compared to 720 and PS4 games later in the gen.

I certainly hope it's not this gen all over again.
Again, that will depend on the developer more than the power/underpower thing.

Seeing how some of the big games are barely 720p and that with hardware that was "old" to them; most will probably try to get their games at 720p.

Even more power won't necessarily mean 1080p games.
Look at even on the Vita and how Uncharted and other games are not even full-res.

good lord. the last sentence, the last sentence. ideaman clearly states that streaming an environment + assets to the 480p screen while the main screen is displaying 720p with better post processing features than the 360/ps3 all at a stable frame rate is what's causing it to be a "bit better" than current gen. take the heavily taxing subscreen features away and you'll likely see a performance boost.

Again, that is hardly impressive at all. If this is indicative of the hardware that is going to be in stores in 2012, it isn't impressive. It might be adequate at best, but hardly future proof.

if the ps4/nextbox have all their games at 1080 I'll buy you a cookie.

If the PS4 and 720 aren't able to run games at 1080p in 2013-2014 then they're going for very, very cheap hardware.

Personally I have a hard time believing that Nintendo is going for such a cheap approach. If the rumoured spec increase in the newer dev kits is true, then I might reconsider my stance, but what Ideaman said is hardly encouraging that the WiiU will get more than 1 or 2 years worth of 3rd party games.

guek

Banned

I'm starting to think more and more as time goes on that what nintendo intends to target is the absolute baseline for what devs want next gen. They go to Epic and ask "how much ram?" and epic replies "4GB would be best." To which they reply "C'mon. Really? This next gen engine of yours can't possibly ever run on less?" Causing the Epic spokesman to cough a little and say "Well with optimization, 2GB might work out."

It'll be interesting to see if they can actually pull that off since it's likely a a very thin line between good enough and not quite there.

Oddduck

Haha wow. Is this guy serious?

Why not? You expect all 3 consoles to be part of the same ecosystem in power and tech and development? Again it depends on what engines each console can run. If Wii U can't run the engines that Xbox 720/PS4 can run, then yes, third parties will need to give Wii U versions their own seperate team. Just like Call of Duty on Wii was always made by a seperate team from the 360/PS3 call of Duty's.

You assuming that Sony/MS's consoles are not going to be a huge leap over Wii U is no different than me assuming it will be a huge leap. We're both assuming.

Nibel

I bet my ass that IdeaMan is going to be annoyed as hell since most misunderstood what he wrote :lol

And I think that EloquentM will win the bet.

HylianTom

Banned
I love how everyone assumes that PS4/720 are going to be more powerful than the Wii U.

I don't think it's a given.

I think so. To many "owww... please protect my delicate eyes from teh uglies" gamers, Nintendo hardware is an embarrassment. So imagine the PR problems, the teasing, the media ribbing, etc that MS or Sony would get for releasing a machine that's weaker than.. Nintendo's.

Could they be in the same league? Sure, I'd buy that. But even then, I suspect spoiled gamers (who like their console makers bleeding) would whine whine whine like Veruca Salt spotting a Golden Egg Hen.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Again, that is hardly impressive at all. If this is indicative of the hardware that is going to be in stores in 2012, it isn't impressive. It might be adequate at best, but hardly future proof.

If the PS4 and 720 aren't able to run games at 1080p in 2013-2014 then they're going for very, very cheap hardware.

my comment had less to do with specs than it did regarding developer arrogance.

I said that because I believe big name Developers will do next gen what they did this gen and push the tech so far that they'll have to sacrifice resolution for what they want to pull off visually

or we can just say this:

Like I said, it's all about what a developer targets :p I agree with you

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think this will be a matter of opinion. I'm no game developer, but from the way I understand it, it's going to mostly be about 1. resource intensive effects 2. poly count 3. anti-aliasing

There are ways to significantly cut back on all of those and keep games from looking "embarrassing" (depending on your point of view). If those games are still 720p with modern shaders, it will still look perfectly acceptable to most. Things start going downhill once you get in the realm of super low res textures and horrible framerates. As long as that can be avoided, I think it'll be acceptable for most.

I think you're also projecting a bit on what's an acceptable visual performance next gen for YOU personally. I'm certainly doing something similar, but I really do feel that most consumer wont care as long as games are capable of being stripped down to the level I'm describing.

I think the problem here is that currently, when we view a PC game next to it's console version. They are both running basically the same engine. The PC version may have higher textures and run it at a higher resolution with more AA but they both look essentially the same.

I think the next gen game engines will employ advanced graphical techniques that will just about run at an acceptable frame rate on PS4/720. If you've got a game that looks like the Samaritan demo and try to shoehorn that into current hardware, you're going to have to make a lot of graphical sacrifices.

HylianTom

Banned
I bet my ass that IdeaMan is going to be annoyed as hell since most misunderstood what he wrote :lol

And I think that EloquentM will win the bet.

I got what he wrote. Loud and clear.

I'm just enjoying the aftermath. And I suspect he is, too.

(thanks, again, IdeaMan!)

NeoRausch

Oh gawd! What happend in here?

Last time i posted here the thread was a green field full of flowers, petals, bunnys and nice air.

now it looks like a warfield?

what happend???

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think the problem here is that currently, when we view a PC game next to it's console version. They are both running basically the same engine. The PC version may have higher textures and run it at a higher resolution with more AA but they both look essentially the same.

I think the next gen game engines will employ advanced graphical techniques that will just about run at an acceptable frame rate on PS4/720. If you've got a game that looks like the Samaritan demo and try to shoehorn that into current hardware, you're going to have to make a lot of graphical sacrifices.

and this goes back to what we said before. the majority doesn't care/can't tell the difference between significant leaps in graphics technology. to them the 360 and nextbox may look the same.

Last time i posted here the thread was a green field full of flowers, petals, bunnys and nice air.

what happend???

you miss ideaman's post?

Donnie

If those rumours are true, it's going to be exactly like this gen again. I'm sorry but anyone trying to defend WiiU being merely able to run 720p plus another 480p of current gen games is merely kidding themselves.
Sure we might get "enhanced" 360/PS3 ports for a while, but for a machine in 2012 it's hardly impressive.

Stop twisting his words to fit your agenda. He said WiiU was producing a bit better looking versions of games than 360 while also rendering complex scenes to the controller and all on a dev kit that's less powerful than the next WiiU dev kit.

what happend???

Nothing new, people caring more about the type of guitar rather than who is playing it.

E3 is going to rock.

i think for unreal 3 we will get 1080p with 60fps.

And for unreal 4 we will get 720p with 60fps.

Finally confirm :)

60fps is dead on consoles outside of a handful of developers. The problem isn't with the engines, it's with the developers that no longer target that framerate. Instead they want fancier lighting effects, higher resolution textures, larger poly counts etc. And that's all at the expense of the framerate. I'd imagine that things are only going to get worse in that area as systems become more powerful

This is what I'm talking about. If Nintendo intends to make the WiiU relevant for more than 2 years, they'll have to make sure that the next set of engines at least runs on the WiiU.

And this is why I find it highly unlikely that a machine that runs current gen games at 720p 30fps and adds another 480p display to it isn't going to cut it in that regard. Again, I doubt Nintendo is that short sighted, and if there is even a slice of truth to 3rd parties having significant input on Nintendo, then I highly doubt that what Ideaman said (which I don't doubt btw) is indicative of what we'll get in the final hardware.

Stop twisting his words to fit your agenda. He said WiiU was producing a bit better looking versions of games than 360 while also rendering complex scenes to the controller and all on a dev kit that's less powerful than the next WiiU dev kit.

Oh come on, what Agenda? If my Agenda is to sound off my honest dissapointement then whatever fine. But I find his report to be hardly impressive and I hope that it's not indicative of what the final hardware is capable of.

Top Bottom