• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Oddduck

The only thing that gives me optimism about Nintendo's hardware is we haven't really heard any developers come out and say the Wii U hardware is underpowered. That gives me optimism of the hardware.

If third parties aren't complaining much, then that's a good sign.

BlackJace

Why not? You expect all 3 consoles to be part of the same ecosystem in power and tech and development? Again it depends on what engines each console can run. If Wii U can't run the engines that Xbox 720/PS4 can run, then yes, it'll need it's own seperate team. Just like Call of Duty on Wii was always made by a seperate team from the 360/PS3 call of Duty's.

You assuming that Sony/MS's consoles are not going to be a huge leap over Wii U is no different than me assuming it will be a huge leap. We're both assuming.

What engines are guaranteed not to run on the Wii U? People are still in current-gen thinking mode. I've said it countless times now... Next gen will not be on the bleeding edge of tech. Sony has lost too much money to build another Ferrari of a gaming console for a loss. Microsoft is going for a Windows 8 fusion. It's too early in tech times to be expecting another Ps2 to PS3 jump. Its just not feasible.

To not expect all 3 consoles to be a part of similar dev systems is backwards to me.
Hell, we've called the PS3 and 360 the "HD-Twins". Why? Because they ARE in some sort of the same "ecosystem". Now that the Wii U is in the same technical league as the twins... why is it now unlikely for the next gen consoles to be called the "HD-Triplets"?

Donnie

Then you need to go back and learn how to read.

It's in plain black and white. At the moment. The development systems aren't powerful enough to run complex (real game) engines at 1080p.

Try quoting the entire comment next time instead of picking the parts you like:

from the mouths of my sources, it's not a console that looks to manage software with complex engines with such ease that their resolution might be 1080p, even at 30 fps. The 720p resolution is best suited for these titles to have a smooth framerate, in addition of the subscreen.

He's clearly saying that 1080p isn't possible at the moment while also using the sub screen to render games.

Oddduck

To not expect all 3 consoles to be a part of similar dev systems is backwards to me.

3DS and PS Vita are not part of the same ecosystem or power. Do you consider that backwards? You won't see Call of Duty Vita or MGS HD Collection Vita on 3DS anytime soon. Sony was losing money before Vita and they still released a powerful handheld.

Nintendo doesn't always follow the drum beat of what their rivals are doing.

guek

Banned
I think the problem here is that currently, when we view a PC game next to it's console version. They are both running basically the same engine. The PC version may have higher textures and run it at a higher resolution with more AA but they both look essentially the same.

I think the next gen game engines will employ advanced graphical techniques that will just about run at an acceptable frame rate on PS4/720. If you've got a game that looks like the Samaritan demo and try to shoehorn that into current hardware, you're going to have to make a lot of graphical sacrifices.

Wait, you're contradicting yourself there. Samaritan is UE3. That's a fact. Could it run on current gen consoles? Yes and no. Of course they could get it on there but it simply would not look anywhere near as impressive. That said, could they get on there but keep it from looking like complete garbage? Absolutely I think so. Some people would disagree and say anything but 1080p + all effects is trash, but I think they could get it to look like a really nice current gen game. Why couldn't the same be done for UE4 and Wii U? That's going to depend entirely on what kind of feature set the Wii U is capable of. If next gen engines 100% require a tesselator to run at all (is this a possibility? I'm inclined to believe it isn't), then Wii U doesn't get those engines if it lacks a tesselator. Just like Wii didn't get current gen engines because it lacked programmable shaders.

And I think you're wrong about PC versions of games compared to their console counterparts. BF3 looks good on 360; it looks absolutely stunning on PC. The same goes for games like witcher 2 and crysis 1.

DCKing

Why do people find it impressive that it's running 360 games on both the controller and on a 720p screen? It really doesn't take that much power to do that in 2012. If that's all there is to the Wii U hardware then Nintendo is screwing up.

It all sounds like standard early development kit porting stuff though, so let's not judge what the final console for what it can do by seeing what a development kit is doing. These numbers are seriously unimpressive however.

antonz

Why do people find it impressive that it's running 360 games on both the controller and on a 720p screen?
It really doesn't take that much power to do that in 2012. If that's all there is to the Wii U hardware then Nintendo is screwing up.

It all sounds like standard early development kit porting stuff though, so let's not judge what the final console for what it can do by seeing what a development kit is doing. These numbers are seriously unimpressive however.

Rendering the game twice or as also pointed out alternate views of the same action is in fact quite power consuming. This is not just streaming an image to the tablet. Its literally rendering a whole new scene while also rendering the game on the TV

Donnie

This is what I'm talking about. If Nintendo intends to make the WiiU relevant for more than 2 years, they'll have to make sure that the next set of engines at least runs on the WiiU.

And this is why I find it highly unlikely that a machine that runs current gen games at 720p 30fps and adds another 480p display to it isn't going to cut it in that regard. Again, I doubt Nintendo is that short sighted, and if there is even a slice of truth to 3rd parties having significant input on Nintendo, then I highly doubt that what Ideaman said (which I don't doubt btw) is indicative of what we'll get in the final hardware.

Oh come on, what Agenda? If my Agenda is to sound off my honest dissapointement then whatever fine. But I find his report to be hardly impressive and I hope that it's not indicative of what the final hardware is capable of.

Well IMO when people play a comment down to make it sound worse than it is its less often reading comprehension than it is to serve their own agenda. If in your case its the former then fine. You don't have to find anything impressive by the way, as long as you portray things accurately.

HylianTom

Banned
Why do people find it impressive that it's running 360 games on both the controller and on a 720p screen?
It really doesn't take that much power to do that in 2012. If that's all there is to the Wii U hardware then Nintendo is screwing up.

This in particular is key.. earlier kit, not indicative.

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would "underpower" their machine (whatever that means) if the have indeed been listening to what devdlopers want.

Then again.. a query: does anyone think it would make a difference in whether they listened more to eastern or western devs?

BlackJace

3DS and PS Vita are not part of the same ecosystem or power. Do you consider that backwards?

Nintendo doesn't always follow the drum beat of what their rivals are doing.

You are aware that those are handhelds right? Of course they're not in the same ecosystem. The Vita is clearly superior in tech. The Wii U is shaping to be at or even well above what is currently available. To expect Sony and Microsoft to excel far beyond the Wii U to the point that Nintendo is once again left out of the "ecosystem" is whats backwards to me.

About the resolution of the games from which my second-hand knowledge come. This may precise a tad more the Wii U power, in a specific context, how third-parties handle the system. It’s related to everything I’ve said before.

The games concerned run ALL in 720p on the main screen. For now, from the mouths of my sources, it's not a console that looks to manage software with complex engines with such ease that their resolution might be 1080p, even at 30 fps. The 720p resolution is best suited for these titles to have a smooth framerate, in addition of the subscreen.

Now let’s talk about the context, which is as important as the information itself:

- Both games have an intensive use of the padlet. More concretely, 3D scenes, different angle of what is on the TV (bird eye view for example). The system is therefore capable of displaying a main screen of AT LEAST comparable quality than current gen versions in 720p (with I guess, a certain amount of AA, etc.) AND another 480p content on the tablet.
- The titles are ports that will be available on actual HD platforms, or more “exclusive” ones but build on inhouse engines already deployed in previous softs. They aren’t tailored from A to Z for the Wii U particularities. And everything is still in development, + dependent of the evolution of dev kits that are changing regularly (at least until now). So it can only improve, and the situation may be different for Nintendo and first-party titles.
- The dev kit involved are the V4 ones. The “V5” is a little more powerful, but apparently not to a point to push these games from 720p to 1080p.
- My sources added that the resolution is the one chosen for now, but a hypothetical other power boost that may occurring post V5 need to be important to allow the system to run these games properly in 1080p.
- These titles will change in the visual department as, like I said, some effects will be applied more in the “end” of the development, with perhaps graphical features not handled by current gen, thanks to the more modern Wii U GPU. So the end result on the main screen will be prettier than on PS360, with a higher resolution (many current gen content are not in true 720p) and especially in conjunction with a heavy use of the tablet. We might expect that games leaving it for simple things will be even more impressive on the TV.

From these informations, several speculations can be derived as:
- The possibility that games with simple engines, such as family titles, Mii-based ones, etc, will be in 1080p.
- Maybe other developers, with a simplistic use of the padlet + after all the optimizations and hardware boosts/tweaking until the dev kit finalization (if they are only moderate and not extensive to a point that it will change this situation completely), will release games in 1080p (with less AA than on 720p, less FPS, etc.), but it doesn’t seem possible AT the moment, if they want their titles to reach a certain level of sophistication and quality in visuals on the TV + intricate use of the subscreen.
- I guess we can speculate further on the power and the amount of some components with this, such as memory / buffer, the GPU…

All these infos are related to my previous posts (it’s the same context) about the hardware power scale, the impressions of my sources, the tablet usage, the memory, the surprising amount of RAM occupation from the OS/Background (it will surely be better and therefore have a positive impact on the general performances, etc.).

Nothing revolutionary as I said, but it can help narrowing a little more the Wii U capacities in this particular context, what you can expect from third parties ports/not exclusive games (because having followed each page of these threads, I saw many gafers who are expecting these titles to be the 1080p versions of their current gen counterparts, but for now, it’s not the case). This does not necessarily mean that the Wii U is underpowered EITHER: manage a visually ambitious game in a solid 720p & framerate, at the minimum a bit prettier than on Xbox 360 + an additional 480p screen with a complex scene rendered on it, is not a small thing.

You see. I don't get anything new out of these things. Why should we believe anything this guy says when he's being so extremely general in his points.

To me, this is just as reliable as Johnny Nighttrain during 2005-era "We are so starved for Revolution news we'll believe and worship everything" GAF. Some dude making extremely vague posts on the internet which may or may not be true.

(Don't post pictures of your dick, though)

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Seeing as how downright gorgeous games can be made on current gen hardware (and last-gen hardware), I couldn't give a rat's ass about whether games are displayed in 720p or 1080p. I would rather have the unique ideas that may spawn from this new controller -- i.e. playbooks for sport games, menus off-screen, multiplayer games having 2 different tasks for different players (one drives an ambulance while the other performs surgery), FPS's having a tactician who sees the entire map, etc.).

So yeah... people need to calm down and think about why they play videogames. Is it really for that next 1080p step? Or is it for the fun of playing and experiencing different types of play?

DynamicG

How is it not impressive to have a PS360+ (same resolution, but with a few more effects) image on one screen and a 480p+ (subscreen res is technically slightly more than 480p correct?) image on another screen when they are both rendered by the same device.

That seems fairly impressive to me.

This thread is baffling and interesting at the same time. So many people seem to just want a ps4/720 that is made by Nintendo.

Personally I really want 3 different takes on video gaming in this upcoming gen. I'm beyond tired of companies that push slightly modified versions of the same thing.

You see. I don't get anything new out of these things. Someone please refresh my memory AGAIN to why we should believe anything this guy says when he's being so extremely general in his points.

To me, this is just as reliable as Johnny Nighttrain during 2005-era "We are so starved for Revolution news we'll believe and worship everything" GAF. Some dude making extremely vague posts on the internet which may or may not be true.

Yeah, it's all vague.

I have nothing against the guy nor do I question his credibility but it's nothing satisfying and really offers no answers but then again, no one else has either.

Ultimately, it's E3 that we will learn anything about the system.

Just as it always has been.

HylianTom

Banned
You see. I don't get anything new out of these things. Why should we believe anything this guy says when he's being so extremely general in his points.

wow.. that's a flashback. Haven't heard his name in several years!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wait, you're contradicting yourself there. Samaritan is UE3.

Yes. I know it runs on UE3. I was using Samaritan as an example of a what's coming down the pipe in terms of next gen graphics. I think you got that.[/QUOTE]

That said, could they get on there but keep it from looking like complete garbage? Absolutely I think so.

I have to disagree here. I think the sacrifices you'd have to make to get something that currently requires 3 x GTX580 GPUs on a high end PC on a PS360. Well, It wouldn't look anything like it.

Why do people find it impressive that it's running 360 games on both the controller and on a 720p screen? It really doesn't take that much power to do that in 2012. If that's all there is to the Wii U hardware then Nintendo is screwing up.

This in particular is key.. earlier kit, not indicative.

According to Ideaman
The dev kit involved are the V4 ones. The “V5” is a little more powerful, but apparently not to a point to push these games from 720p to 1080p.

So the next dev kit won't make much of a difference. And I can't imagine the final console being that much different either.

BlackJace

Seeing as how downright gorgeous games can be made on current gen hardware (and last-gen hardware), I couldn't give a rat's ass about whether games are displayed in 720p or 1080p. I would rather have the unique ideas that may spawn from this new controller -- i.e. playbooks for sport games, menus off-screen, multiplayer games having 2 different tasks for different players (one drives an ambulance while the other performs surgery), FPS's having a tactician who sees the entire map, etc.).

So yeah... people need to calm down and think about why they play videogames. Is it really for that next 1080p step? Or is it for the fun of playing and experiencing different types of play?

I agree. I blame the big devs like DICE and Epic for brainwashing gamers to believe that the progression of gaming is to be dictated by engines and hardware and power.

suracity

I really hate this cycle. (Nothing to do Ideaman and thank him for sharing info)
But what can we get? Everyone just reads into it in different ways. I am tired of all these "dreamcast itself", "low resolution", "underpowered", "lost its magic" things. And someone is just going to seize every opportunity to bash Nintendo.
Can we just live peacefully until E3 and let Nintendo give us a final answer?

Oddduck

You are aware that those are handhelds right? Of course they're not in the same ecosystem. The Vita is clearly superior in tech. The Wii U is shaping to be at or even well above what is currently available. To expect Sony and Microsoft to excel fat beyond the Wii U to the point that Nintendo is once again left out of the "ecosystem" is whats backwards to me.

So what if they are handhelds? The point is, Nintendo hasn't been following the development ecosystems of their competitors since GameCube.

The only thing backwards to me is to underestimate your competition (Sony/MS) and to assume that people won't notice when graphics look better than 360/PS3 graphics.

Graphic cards have changed since 2005 when 360 launched. Most PC games don't show it because they are still using current gen engines. But we've had a good 6-7 year leap in improvements in graphics cards.

By 2014 (when PS3/360 are expected to arrive), 360's tech will be around 9 years old. If Wii U is going to be slightly improved 9 year old tech, that's not future proofing for game engines at all.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
and this goes back to what we said before. the majority doesn't care/can't tell the difference between significant leaps in graphics technology. to them the 360 and nextbox may look the same.

you miss ideaman's post?

This is the WiiU speculation thread. In this thread. Folks are allowed to speculate on the ramification of rumours relative to hardware specifications.

Irrespective if Nintendo fanboys aren't interested in the hardware side. It is important.

HylianTom

Banned
I really hate this cycle. (Nothing to do Ideaman and thank him for sharing info)
But what can we get? Everyone just reads into it in different ways. I am tired of all these "dreamcast itself", "low resolution", "underpowered", "lost its magic" things. And someone is just going to seize every opportunity to bash Nintendo.
Can we just live peacefully until E3 and let Nintendo give us a final answer?

This is a sneak preview. Lots of folks posting from all directions. Gonna be fun.

(and a side note: I'd bet that the number of Nintendo fans who show-up in MS or Sony next-gen threads to stir-up shit about their controller schemes pales in comparison to the characters who show-up in Nintendo threads to stir-up shit about power. Very interesting, no?)

guek

Banned
I have to disagree here. I think the sacrifices you'd have to make to get something that currently requires 3 x GTX580 GPUs on a high end PC on a PS360. Well, It wouldn't look anything like it.

It's actually running on 1 card now. People said the same thing though about games like crysis 1 and witcher 2. It's all relative to subjective opinions. Some would say those games don't look anything like their high end PC counterparts. But the overall point is can those games be ported or can't they? Can UE4 games be ported to Wii U or is that impossible? If it is possible, I seriously doubt those games will look worse than the current gen. If your baseline for what is acceptable is higher than what those ports will look like, well that can't be helped, but I don't believe the market at large shares the same opinion. There is of course the chance that I'm completely wrong about that, but we wont know until we watch the future unfold.

BlackJace

So what if they are handhelds? The point is, Nintendo hasn't been following the development ecosystems of their competitors since GameCube.

The only thing backwards to me is to underestimate your competition (Sony/MS) and to assume that people won't notice when graphics look better than 360/PS3 graphics.

Graphic cards have changed since 2005 when 360 launched. Most PC games don't show it because they are still using current gen engines. But we've had a good 6-7 year leap in improvements in graphics cards.

By 2014 (when PS3/360 are expected to arrive), 360's tech will be 9 years old. If Wii U is going to be slightly improved 9 year old tech, that's not future proofing for game engines at all.

But what we already know points to the Wii U being able to handle next-gen engines. We're not going to get UE4 1080p 60 fps. We're just not. But the Wii U will be able to handle whats coming at it.

Also, I can't stop laughing at your avatar. It's awesome.

wsippel

Banned
V5 won't be twice as powerful as the last obviously, but it could be 10%, every bit counts :)
That's about as much as I'd expect at this point. Not that another 10% performance weren't welcome - depending on how powerful the overall system is, those 10% could be half a 360 packed on top! lol

Christine

It's not so much that I think MS & Sony can't release machines that'd exclude U from their development ecosystem. I just think that they can't do it without charging a very significant price premium or giving Nintendo entirely too much head start.

Why not? You expect all 3 consoles to be part of the same ecosystem in power and tech and development? Again it depends on what engines each console can run. If Wii U can't run the engines that Xbox 720/PS4 can run, then yes, third parties will need to give Wii U versions their own seperate team. Just like Call of Duty on Wii was always made by a seperate team from the 360/PS3 call of Duty's.

You assuming that Sony/MS's consoles are not going to be a huge leap over Wii U is no different than me assuming it will be a huge leap. We're both assuming.

The Wii had the disadvantage of not only being about a generation less powerful and 1/5th the RAM compared to the 360/PS3, but having an older and incompatible way to use "shaders." That type of situation can not occur again with the Wii U due to several factors.

HylianTom

Banned
It's actually running on 1 card now. People said the same thing though about games like crysis 1 and witcher 2. It's all relative to subjective opinions. Some would say those games don't look anything like their high end PC counterparts. But the overall point is can those games be ported or can't they? Can UE4 games be ported to Wii U or is that impossible? If it is possible, I seriously doubt those games will look worse than the current gen. If your baseline for what is acceptable is higher than what those ports will look like, well that can't be helped, but I don't believe the market at large shares the same opinion. There is of course the chance that I'm completely wrong about that, but we wont know until we watch the future unfold.

Like I said.. we need a "Match the System with the Screenshot" thread. Let's see how dramatic and noticeable the differences will really be. It'd be a great way to test a theory.

Donnie

He didn't say that, he said "minimum a bit prettier than on Xbox 360 + an additional 480p screen with a complex scene rendered on it". He also said that this was on V4 kits which are a bit less powerful than the next V5 kit.

Also resolution isn't everything, just because the controllers screen resolution is only 854x480 that doesn't mean the game being rendered on it isn't just as complex as the game being rendered on the main screen in every way other than resolution. Which means you'd need twice as much power in most ways to do that, even forgetting the "minimum a bit prettier" comment.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

By 2014 (when PS3/360 are expected to arrive), 360's tech will be around 9 years old. If Wii U is going to be slightly improved 9 year old tech, that's not future proofing for game engines at all.
First, the Wii U will not be "slightly improved 9 year old tech." Second, the Wii U will not be in the same situation as the Wii was (as in not getting 3rd party ports), for exactly the reason why the Wii U is not "slightly improved 9 year old tech." Third, calm down.

cyberheater

It's actually running on 1 card now.

Yes. It's running on a unreleased video card. One that when launched will be the most powerful GPU on the planet. LOL.[/QUOTE]

People said the same thing though about games like crysis 1 and witcher 2. It's all relative to subjective opinions. Some would say those games don't look anything like their high end PC counterparts. But the overall point is can those games be ported or can't they? Can UE4 games be ported to Wii U or is that impossible? If it is possible, I seriously doubt those games will look worse than the current gen. If your baseline for what is acceptable is higher than what those ports will look like, well that can't be helped, but I don't believe the market at large shares the same opinion. There is of course the chance that I'm completely wrong about that, but we wont know until we watch the future unfold.

We will have to wait and see.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
*chargers camera batteries*

BTW, the misreading and overreaction over the past few pages is amazing.

Two simple examples:

(1) While surely many ps360 games run at 720p, we have no idea what current-gen game being ported to wiiU does 720p as well - the title could just as well be running at 540p on ps360.

(2) There's 720p and there's 720p. The fact something is 720p does not automatically define its IQ in its entirety. Unless AA and AF are non-factors now.

Of course, I won't even bother touching the fact we're most likely discussing early software running on new hw here, cause, well, this is gaf.

suracity

This is a sneak preview. Lots of folks posting from all directions. Gonna be fun.

(and a side note: I'd bet that the number of Nintendo fans who show-up in MS or Sony next-gen threads to stir-up shit about their controller schemes pales in comparison to the characters who show-up in Nintendo threads to stir-up shit about power. Very interesting, no?)

Hah! That is why I say "live peacefully". Not matter what console you love, everyone just focuses on wonderful games and happy happy.

But I know it is impossible. Meanwhile some comments about Vita in MC threads are also too severe. I mean just leave Nintendo/Sony/MS alone... let them worry about this industry and profit etc. We players just play games right?

I just want the subscreen be used for invintory like the 3DS/DS, I just want to play zelda without a hud.

It'll probably be like that for many games but the best of the best minds will find more ambitious use of the controller screen.

Just like the Wii.

JUST like the Wii, guys.

hehehehehe

Top Bottom