• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Nintendo will do all they can to get 3D Mario running at the highest image fidelity they can manage. 1080p 60fps is possible. They seem to be a fan of smooth frame rates.

And there's no reason that a Mario game couldn't hit that, even with using the controller well.
The game simply does not need super high polygon models or tons of lighting and effects.
The beauty of the games is in its simplicity and art.

Metroid, on the other hand, likely would be a game we'd see at 720p, especially if they want it at 60FPS.

So, what does this mean regarding multiple controllers?

Any game that would (theoretically) use more than one tablet controller would probably not run at 1080p, and would also likely not have anything super complex on the controllers.
Either that, or the games would be played multiplayer on just the controller with something not as complex on the TV screen. (Like say, 4 player FPS, where you put the scoreboard on the TV and everyone plays on their controller)

guek

Banned
Fuck yeah!
Every Wii U should come with pre-installed videos of P90X and Insanity.

Reggie is such a strong man. He reminds me of that huge opponent in one of those Bruce Lee movies. I will buy his console because he is the strongest PR guy.

He should come on stage and break a 360 in half over his knee, and then grab a PS3 and shatter it with his forehead. And then proclaim, "RROD now stands for REGGIE'S REIN OF DEATH, mother fuckers! RAAARGH!!"

I guess that if developers want to push 1080p they can always use a lower resolution for the Wii U controller if its only used for HUD and changing weapons

Again, are we talking about PS360 ports or next gen games?

For now, from the mouths of my sources, it's not a console that looks to manage software with complex engines with such ease that their resolution might be 1080p, even at 30 fps. The 720p resolution is best suited for these titles to have a smooth framerate, in addition of the subscreen.

So even with a limited subscreen, can the Wii U still handle next gen complex engines at 30fps in 1080p?

HylianTom

Banned
Fuck yeah!
Every Wii U should come with pre-installed videos of P90X and Insanity.

Reggie is such a strong man. He reminds me of that huge opponent in one of those Bruce Lee movies. I will buy his console because he is the strongest PR guy.

Yes! Bring Susan Powter back! Sexy beast!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Because they aren't informed.
Or rather, they choose to be willfully ignorant, despite posting in these threads a lot.
I just, don't understand.
If people have been following anything that's been happening the last three threads, nothing in IdeaMan's post is even all that shocking. It's just confirmation of what we know.

Well, to be fair, i've seen a lot of gafers expecting the Wii U versions of current gen HD games to run at 1080p. "It will be the same graphics, but in 1080p". And for the moment, apart from the hypothesis that my sources are working for incompetent and lazy studios (which is not the case), the system is not capable of that. But again, it's in a specific context, it doesn't exclude the possibility of 1080p games in a different one.

I continue to catch-up, 4 pages to read :p

Nibel

He should come on stage and break a 360 in half over his knee, and then grab a PS3 and shatter it with his forehead. And then proclaim, "RROD now stands for REGGIE'S REIN OF DEATH, mother fuckers! RAAARGH!!"

I'm dying here guek, seriously you killed me with RRoD! XD

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You missed the fact that the Wii U will, in fact, be able to run games in 1080p, apparently.
Especially if it's not displaying anything graphic intensive on the controller at the same time.

Right now I'm not so sure.

1080p is roughly 2 million pixels, 720p + 480p is roughly 1.5 million pixels. If there was a very simple graphic on the tablet then It might be able to do it.

1080p is roughly 2 million pixels, 720p + 480p is roughly 1.5 million pixels. If there was a very simple graphic on the tablet then It might be able to do it.

Yes...
That's what I just said...
So why are you so adamant that it WON'T be displaying at 1080p for some games?

HylianTom

Banned
Well, to be fair, i've seen a lot of gafers expecting the Wii U versions of current gen HD games to run at 1080p. "It will be the same graphics, but in 1080p". And for the moment, apart from the hypothesis that my sources are working for incompetent and lazy studios (which is not the case), the system is not capable of that. But again, it's in a specific context, it doesn't exclude the possibility of 1080p games in a different one.

I continue to catch-up, 4 pages to read :p

Folks seem very eager to extrapolate widely from your specific case. Might not be so wise an idea.

side note:

can we cast Susan Powter as Impa for the Zelda movie? She has the hair!

ASIS

Ok the thread is moving too fast, but is there a reason why 1080p is being put under speculation this time around?

guek

Banned
I'm dying here guek, seriously you killed me with RRoD! XD

bTKcI.gif

BEST E3 EVAR

Christine

Remember that it's not just pixel fillrate at issue; it's also the overhead from effectively running split-screen. That has an impact even when it's limited to the same total resolution as the single screen mode.

wsippel

Banned
I'm not sure, the V5 dev kit respond to a code name according to lherre. My sources told me that they are expecting these kits, and the way they reported me this, it was more a real revision than a X.2 iteration. They were already using a v4 dev kit before, now i don't know for sure if it was 4.0 or 4.2. Maybe the Singapore website doesn't show every material shipped, maybe there's some kind of delay, maybe Nintendo is using another channel to distribute these future kits, etc. I could be wrong for all this part, just that from what i've heard, there's another rather significantly changed dev kit coming for third-parties, and it's certainly the one that Nintendo used for benchmarking an existing engine, and they saw a moderate increase of the performance in comparison to v4.
Yeah, I've heard that Nintendo had an internal kit that's a few percent faster than what external developers have, but that was a while ago so I assumed it was just the V42 kit. Dunno. It seems a bit odd to do a point release with a major revision right around the corner, unless there were some problems with the V4 kits that would require a quick incremental update.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

The difference is actually ~.74M pixels. That's not as definitive as you think, though, as two independent views require more computational resources than just an increase in res - somebody has to run all the vertex shaders as well. It's pretty much a repeat of 3DS' situation with stereoscopy - a scene viewed from different cameras might double the vertex shader requirements. Only that in WiiU's case it also adds extra pixels.

ed: bah, beaten *shakes fist in TIE's general direction*

Ok the thread is moving too fast, but is there a reason why 1080p is being put under speculation this time around?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Let's just wait until E3, we should have confirmation by then. There's really no reason to get all depressed right now.

Really, i don't see HOW people can start to be depressed by my information. When you consider the tidbit of data + the context, it's quite promising on the contrary. The Wii U is clearly not a 5X xbox360 in all areas, with such powerful capabilities that ports have character models and environment with 2x the polygons count without difficulty, but it was CLEARLY not a Xbox360 or 1,2x current gen, a few months ago. With all the optimization that will come before the mass production of the retail version, in hardware, software, os/background managing + newer dev kits + newer SDK + third-parties getting better at developing for it + first-parties with more optimized engines, you can expect more of something already quite capable for reasonable people.

Xellos

All this fuss about 1080p. I'm thinking 1080p next-gen is a pipe dream, even on 720/PS4. Why would any hardware manufacturer spend more for a high-end GPU capable of next-gen graphics at 1080p when they could get the same result from a mid-range GPU, only at 720p? The increase in cost is not worth when weighed against the potential increase in sales. Also, no matter what GPU they choose devs are going to drop below 1080p eventually to squeeze more performance out of the console.

Strife91

F*** Nintendo!!!!

I don't want to see another Wii-scenario. The console will feel old after a year if it's only twice as powerful. While the Wii had some great games, I would never consider it to be my main console. The third party support were weak and image quality was shit. The Wiimote's novelty only lasted a year. My favourite games on the console were games that used the classic controller(Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri). While the uPad looks like something that could really benefit both hardcore games and casual games. I just don't imagine it being as popular as the Wiimote and Nunchuck or Kinect. In terms of technology or experiences it doesn't seem to offer something new. It's simply gyros, touchscreens and cameras again. They need a console that's powerful enough to get PS4/720 ports. A console that can offer a significant upgrade, without being cutting edge. Not only for graphics, but for game changing experiences. A game like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 could never be done on the Wii. That audio fidelity or destruction that created a more living, immersive and dymanic battlefield, could never be replicated on the Wii.

I believe the uPad would be perfect for "hardcore games" and it would be sad for it to lose out on many of those games. Nintendo really need to step up their game. They need to create something that's exciting for third parties and have them jump on the bandwagon.

wsippel

Banned
Considering the long development time of the GPU and AMDs comments (and the fact that Wii U is backwards compatible but doesn't include Hollywood), I'm wondering if the GPU might be "Flipper 2". A modern, backwards compatible iteration of Flipper/ Hollywood, lots of hardwired stuff for high efficiency and predictable performance, plus a few hundred SPUs bolted on top.

Azure J

Man it got bloody in here. First real awesome news we've had in a while and everyone goes defensive for their own "side" on the matter. =/

FWIW, IdeaMan, I pretty much see this the same way you are as per your last post. The comments on the system doing that much (especially the padlet's screen complexities and multiple viewing angles within the game space -- that does sound like quite the feat) with games clearly made from a PS360 base at a time two months and one (supposedly significant) kit upgrade prior makes me more positive about the console's ability overall.

What if... the Wii U is only on-par with current gen HD consoles, but will in turn only cost $249?

What if... the Wii U is slightly better than current gen, but will cost $299 due to the tablet?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Really, i don't see HOW people can start to be depressed by my information. When you consider the tidbit of data + the context, it's quite promising on the contrary. The Wii U is clearly not a 5X xbox360 in all areas, with such powerful capabilities that ports have character models and environment with 2x the polygons count without difficulty, but it was CLEARLY not a Xbox360 or 1,2x current gen, a few months ago. With all the optimization that will come before the mass production of the retail version, in hardware, software, os/background managing + newer dev kits + newer SDK + third-parties getting better at developing for it + first-parties with more optimized engines, you can expect more of something already quite capable for reasonable people.

Sounds good to me. And realistic.

jacksrb

Here's what bothers most people about the Wii U.

The reason people were cool with the Wii being underpowered was because the price was $250 while the 360 was $400-500 and the PS3 was $500-$600. And the Wii still had an innovative feature (wii remote).

So you got current gen hardware with innovative controller technology at an affordable price. That's why the Wii was successful.

But with the Wii U...you got current gen hardware (with extra ram) with an innovative controller technology at an much more rumored expensive price (unless Nintendo is willing to take a loss).

If the price of the controller technology is driving up the Wii U's cost, was doing this controller even worth it? For the cost that the controller technology adds to the Wii U, I would have rather had better graphics.

$350 (based on what you guys are predicting) for a slightly more powerful current gen console (sorry, IGN is the only one to say otherwise), + a $50-$60 game is $400 right there.

I only see loyal Nintendo fans like me biting on this console if Nintendo can't price it properly.

I don't disagree with any stated point, just the assumption that Nintendo is taking the wrong track. If people aren't excited/pulled in with the controller innovations plus the 'fun for everyone' first party fare - what was Nintendo to do? Push out a $450 dollar console with a standard controller and graphics that are superior? But that a) wouldn't be appreciated by many in Joe public and b) not be fully taken advantage of by third parties due to porting issues

F*** Nintendo!!!!

I don't want to see another Wii-scenario. The console will feel old after a year if it's only twice as powerful. While the Wii had some great games, I would never consider it to be my main console. The third party support were weak and image quality was shit. The Wiimote's novelty only lasted a year. My favourite games on the console were games that used the classic controller(Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri). While the uPad looks like something that could really benefit both hardcore games and casual games. I just don't imagine it being as popular as the Wiimote and Nunchuck or Kinect. In terms of technology or experiences it doesn't seem to offer something new. It's simply gyros, touchscreens and cameras again. They need a console that's powerful enough to get PS4/720 ports. A console that can offer a significant upgrade, without being cutting edge. Not only for graphics, but for game changing experiences. A game like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 could never be done on the Wii. That audio fidelity or destruction that created a more living, immersive and dymanic battlefield, could never be replicated on the Wii.

I believe the uPad would be perfect for "hardcore games" and it would be sad for it to lose out on many of those games. Nintendo really need to step up their game. They need to create something that's exciting for third parties and have them jump on the bandwagon.

image.php

Roo

When can we expect this? late June?
I don't know how much time it requires to mass product a console =/
Actually, I'm starting to worry cuz the specs are not settle in stone yet

Actually, I'm starting to worry cuz the specs are not settle in stone yet

Depends on when they launch.
It it's a November launch then probably August.

They still have plenty of time before they have to 100% lock everything down.
It's not like they are changing the actual parts.
Just upping speeds and such.

Oddduck

I don't disagree with any stated point, just the assumption that Nintendo is taking the wrong track. If people aren't excited/pulled in with the controller innovations plus the 'fun for everyone' first party fare - what was Nintendo to do? Push out a $450 dollar console with a standard controller and graphics that are superior? But that a) wouldn't be appreciated by many in Joe public and b) not be fully taken advantage of by third parties due to porting issues

Just because you give a console an innovative controller doesn't mean third parties will take full advantage of its capabilities.

I personally love the Wii U controller. There's a lot to love about it. But I don't think a controller is going to decide whether people fall in love with Nintendo's first party games.

And a controller doesn't make something fun for everyone. It's the type of game it is. Wii motion plus didn't make Skyward Sword or Metroid Prime 3 fun for the entire family. Only for hardcore gamers.

HylianTom

Banned
Actually, I'm starting to worry that the specs are not settle in stone yet

This has been on my mind lately.. the sooner they start, the more units we'll see at launch. But that means that hardware tweaks pretty much stop. And Nintendo has to allow for adequate quality control testing in order to prevent RROD scenarios.

But we shouldn't worry - one will be able to walk into any store and buy one on day one, right? :)

HylianTom

Banned
So it takes around two months...
I want a middle September launch
doesn't matter tho... I'm gettin it as a xmas present :p

I'm hoping for late October. Lots of time to save-up vacation hours, enough time for Nintendo to sell lots of units before Christmas, and I'll be settled from moving in September.

And camping weather most likely wouldn't be too hot or too cold. :)

Roo

I'm hoping for late October. Lots of time to save-up vacation hours, enough time for Nintendo to sell lots of units before Christmas, and I'll be settled from moving in September.

And camping weather most likely wouldn't be too hot or too cold. :)

Yeah, october is a decent launch date too
I hope they have some wonders cooking in the marketing department :p

Ugh.
Reading Fox's impressions of Kid Icarus in the other thread...
Smash Bros U/3DS is going to be fucking amazing.

link?

HylianTom

Banned
I fell asleep for a few hours, and I see this thread has grown by several pages, did I miss anything?

Naah.. we were just debating new names for the Nintendo Juicy™ and talking about favorite hardware colors.

well.. not really. Instead, IdeaMan gave more insight several pages back also, with ensuing explosions.

radcliff

So, what does this mean regarding multiple controllers?

I am assuming games that support multiple controllers will be limited to relatively simple displays on the controller to prevent the performance of the system from taking a significant hit. Things like a moves list for fighters, selectable plays for Madden, or 2d maps and/or HUDs for FPSs or action games.

Top Bottom