• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Ms.Galaxy

Man all the endings for Ocarina of Time are pretty depressing now that I think about it.

Adult timeline: definition of pyrrhic victory as Ganondorf soon returns and Hyrule is permanently flooded.

Child timeline: best timeline in terms of long-term outcome, but the hero of time is completely forgotten.

Downfall: Not only did the HoT fail and fucking die, but plan B results in the corruption of the sacred realm and Ganon's permanent threat to Hyrule.

All Zelda had to do was keep or smash the Ocarina of Time, and Ganondorf would not have reached the Sacred Realm and claim the Triforce, he may have been able to smash through the Door of Time, but he would never be able to pull the Master Sword to enter it.

I think that's why Zelda feels the way she does in the end, and blames herself for all this.

The original point we were talking about was how did Ganon get his piece in Twilight Princess. We know Link holds the Triforce of Courage at the end of Ocarina of Time, which is proven as his hand is glowing and it's glowing far brighter on the specific piece of the Triforce he holds, rather than the entire thing. This is a normal characteristic that a Triforce piece does to its holder.

That means the Triforce is split up, what do you think that means to the other two pieces of the Triforce? Do you think the Triforce of Wisdom and Power are just hanging around the Sacred Realm? From what we know about the Triforce, that forces the it to split up and seek it's owners, which we know said people are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.
We know how he got it in TP, it was a "divine prank".

Here's my issue with the whole "Oh it split, he has it" dealie. Ocarina of Time is pretty direct in its storytelling. When it splits in the game we get Ganondorf maniacally laughing and Zelda directly saying what happened. If they wanted to say that it split in the present within the ending, they would have either said it or shown it. Now some of you want to use the mark as evidence as "that's them showing it" but personally I need a little bit more than that, especially with Zelda in same scene not having it. And yes I know, she could have gotten it later, but is could have really what you want to go with? Or hey she totally does have it but she doesn't know it like Link did in the future?

It's all a little too much rationalizing just to fit TP's lousy story

linkboy

Man all the endings for Ocarina of Time are pretty depressing now that I think about it.

Adult timeline: definition of pyrrhic victory as Ganondorf soon returns and Hyrule is permanently flooded.

Child timeline: best timeline in terms of long-term outcome, but the hero of time is completely forgotten.

Downfall: Not only did the HoT fail and fucking die, but plan B results in the corruption of the sacred realm and Ganon's permanent threat to Hyrule.

It's all because someone (cough Zelda) was playing with powers way beyond her control. Her meddling with the flow of time is the direct cause of all three timelines.

RagnarokX

If I could offer one possible reconciliation to this, perhaps Link told the King everything that happened in the future and what the Sages did. After all, without the Sages, Link would not have been able to travel back in time to stop Ganon's plans. The king or Link than could have shared this knowledge with the Zora and Ruto's legend was born (of course, this is regardless of what the young Ruto actually ended up doing).
That's not the gist I'm getting from the Zora history. Sounds like something that happened in this timeline rather than something they were told about. Plus we know that the Zora abandoned Hyrule in BotW's past and returned 10,000 years ago to establish a new Zora's Domain; and the Zora abandoned Hyrule in the Downfall Timeline after Ganondorf froze Zora's Domain.

Trying to make everything fit with Child Timeline is so much more complicated than just taking "twilight" as an easter egg.
So

Mipha is for real the canon relationship, right
We don't really know if Link saw her as more than a friend. She's got mad Hintata vibes going, and we know how that turned out.
Link's marrying a ghost fish.

We know how he got it in TP, it was a "divine prank".

Here's my issue with the whole "Oh it split, he has it" dealie. Ocarina of Time is pretty direct in its storytelling. When it splits in the game we get Ganondorf maniacally laughing and Zelda directly saying what happened. If they wanted to say that it split in the present within the ending, they would have either said it or shown it. Now some of you want to use the mark as evidence as "that's them showing it" but personally I need a little bit more than that, especially with Zelda in same scene not having it. And yes I know, she could have gotten it later, but is could have really what you want to go with? Or hey she totally does have it but she doesn't know it like Link did in the future?

It's all a little too much rationalizing just to fit TP's lousy story

They did show it, right on his damn hand in a way that's not subtle at all. Like why would Nintendo make a character model of young link with the triforce glowing on his hand and put it in the ending for no reason? "Divine prank" isn't an explanation, just an expression of bewilderment. The sages and Ganon don't know how he got the triforce of power, how could they when they don't know the events of OOT?

So

Hah, good one.

They did show it, right on his damn hand in a way that's not subtle at all. "Divine prank" isn't an explanation, just an expression of bewilderment. The sages and Ganon don't know how he got the triforce of power, how could they when they don't know the events of OOT?
Yes i know, that's why tp's story sucks

If they dont know what's going to happen, what is he being executed for then? Poisoning a tree, a fish and messing with a volcano?

royox

In the child timeline, Link never opened the Temple of Time, therefore none of the sages in Ocarina could awaken as sages on that timeline. Link and Ruto never meet as Link as no motivation to go on his quest.

Kid Link spawns at the master sword room and then leaves...he technically had to open it to at least go out?

Ms.Galaxy

Everyone is thirsty for Link in BOTW.

Can't say I blame them, he's very much so attractive. More so than the random Mii Faced Hylians.

If they dont know what's going to happen, what is he being executed for then? Poisoning a tree, a fish and messing with a volcano?

How about conspiracy, plotting a coup to overthrow the King of Hyrule?

I would charge him with multiple counts of terrorism as well. He killed a sacred guardian spirit of the forest, he poisoned a sacred guardian spirit of the Zora, and he tried to starve out the Gorons by blocking their food supply and endangering it.

RagnarokX

They didn't execute him just on the Hero of Time's word. The Sages say:

Ganondorf.

He was the leader of a band of
thieves who invaded Hyrule in the
hopes of establishing dominion
over the Sacred Realm.

He was known as a demon thief, an
evil-magic wielder renowned for
his ruthlessness...

But he was blind...

In all of his fury and might, he was
blind to any danger, and thus was
he exposed, subdued, and brought
to justice.

In Child Timeline Link never opens the Sacred Realm. Ganondorf still wants the Triforce and doesn't realize he has the Triforce of Power, so he invades Hyrule. After several years he is eventually subdued and executed. During his execution his Triforce of Power manifests and leads to him believing he is the gods' chosen one.

Oddish1

Looking at it the only timeline where OoT Link gets any recognition is the Adult one. The Child one he's forgotten and has his weird out of character ghost be all upset about it, and in the Downfall one Link dies like a punk and isn't mentioned in any of the Downfall timeline games that I recall, the sages basically get all the credit.

That's not the gist I'm getting from the Zora history. Sounds like something that happened in this timeline rather than something they were told about. Plus we know that the Zora abandoned Hyrule in BotW's past and returned 10,000 years ago to establish a new Zora's Domain; and the Zora abandoned Hyrule in the Downfall Timeline after Ganondorf froze Zora's Domain.

Trying to make everything fit with Child Timeline is so much more complicated than just taking "twilight" as an easter egg.

We don't really know if Link saw her as more than a friend. She's got mad Hintata vibes going, and we know how that turned out.
Link's marrying a ghost fish.

I mean, she made a wedding suit perfectly tailored for him. And she seemed to be the only one of the champions Link was just chilling with, the rest seemed more like business.

Also she seemed perfectly willing to admit she thinks of Link when she uses her magic before she got interrupted, while in a mixed group.

Looking at it the only timeline where OoT Link gets any recognition is the Adult one. The Child one he's forgotten and has his weird out of character ghost be all upset about it, and in the Downfall one Link dies like a punk and isn't mentioned in any of the Downfall timeline games that I recall, the sages basically get all the credit.

BOTW remembers the Hero of Time and isn't in the adult timeline.

I mean, she made a wedding suit perfectly tailored for him. And she seemed to be the only one of the champions Link was just chilling with, the rest seemed more like business.

Also she seemed perfectly willing to admit she thinks of Link when she uses her magic before she got interrupted, while in a mixed group.
Zelda gets a whole song about how she was in love with Link and the game ends with them together.

They didn't execute him just on the Hero of Time's word. The Sages say:

Ganondorf.

He was the leader of a band of
thieves who invadedHyrule in the
hopes of establishing dominion
over the Sacred Realm.

He was known as a demon thief, an
evil-magic wielder renowned for
his ruthlessness...

But he was blind...

In all of his fury and might, he was
blind to any danger, and thus was
he exposed, subdued, and brought
to justice.

In Child Timeline Link never opens the Sacred Realm. Ganondorf still wants the Triforce and doesn't realize he has the Triforce of Power, so he invades Hyrule. After several years he is eventually subdued and executed. During his execution his Triforce of Power manifests and leads to him believing he is the gods' chosen one.
Yeah, sounds like they know

RagnarokX

It's obvious that she wants to marry Link. The thing is we don't know if Link felt the same way about her. They'd been friends since Link was a little boy and she knew his father.

Even Ruto got further with the Hero of Time than Mipha got with Link. Mipha died before she could give Link his engagement tunic. Ruto got Link to accept her engagement ring.

Branduil

Downfall is the only timeline that makes much sense for BotW, although by setting it so ridiculously far in the future, it does kind of feel like a soft reboot. I expect BotW will be the locus of the new Zelda era, just as OoT was before.

daffy

Banned
oh, talking about timelines and the one true lore. guess i got here too late

well just beat the game and found the ending to be a little underwhelming. but this is likely the best game I've played ever. Can't see RDR2 topping it for GOTY but we'll see. Excited to try and find this so called green tunic and find some more shrines, I'm at 85 so far. Gonna be consulting a guide because some of these hidden shrine solutions are obtuse

So

Well, I'd argue she can't be because she's dead, but then again death seems like a minor inconvenience in BotW because you can still pilot mechs, paraglide and whatnot :p

well just beat the game and found the ending to be a little underwhelming. but this is likely the best game I've played ever. Can't see RDR2 topping it for GOTY but we'll see. Excited to try and find this so called green tunic and find some more shrines, I'm at 85 so far. Gonna be consulting a guide because some of these hidden shrine solutions are obtuse
I got to 110 shrines before using a map to find the remaining 10. I just kind of ran out of places I knew I hadn't checked. Still actually solved the shrines myself without a guide of course :3

Twookie

did you find all the memories and unlocked the true ending? I don't think I'd find closure in this game without doing that tbh

Downfall is the only timeline that makes much sense for BotW, although by setting it so ridiculously far in the future, it does kind of feel like a soft reboot. I expect BotW will be the locus of the new Zelda era, just as OoT was before.

Yeah I agree with this. It feels like a fresh start while kinda keeping it in the same canon. And I really think it's clear that it's in the downfall timeline. You have to come up with so many wild theories to place it in either of the other timelines. And Aonuma placed importance on the whole Ganon attacking over and over throughout the ages thing.

This is, of course, unless they actually have gone with the cyclical timeline which I'm now thinking has a chance at being reality. That would be a fairly unique continuity if so.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In the child timeline, Link never opened the Temple of Time, therefore none of the sages in Ocarina could awaken as sages on that timeline. Link and Ruto never meet as Link as no motivation to go on his quest.

Instead, Link and Zelda presented their evidence to the King of Hyrule, the King has Ganondorf arrested, the failed execution attempt happens and Ganondorf is dumped in the Twilight Realm. That's also the reason the Master Sword in Twilight Princess is sitting in the ruins of the Temple of Time.
Isn't the first meeting after Link leaves the forest? So he has the Kokiri Gem at that point.

Imagine him awkwardly returning to the Deku Tree. "Uhhh, yeah. I solved everything without this. So... you can have it back"

Seems like a much bigger stretch than the mention of twilight just being a reference for fans.
Again, she also references the ocean and a parallel world in that scene. Even if she didn't, the twilight and hero of time references don't make much sense next to each other, as the hero of time isn't remembered in the TP timeline anyway.

I kind of want to see the downfall event explored further (was hoping this game would be about it, actually). It's definitely a sloppy way to "fix" the classic games not fitting in with the OoT and beyond games, but if expanded upon it could actually be made to make sense/be very cool. Like (fan fiction time) Ganon's Triforce of Power awakening upon his execution causing a time vortex, connecting him temporarily to his alternate timeline self that allowed him to get it in the first place, causing him to reawaken after Link defeats him and defeat Link instead.

Just beat the game so I can finally post here! So uhh... here we go...

Can they stop with the 4-legged pig ganon already? He wasnt fun in Twilight Princess and he wasn't fun here. His final smash in smash bros isnt fun either. The big pig design is super lazy to me as well. Oh look he's a giant hog! This one has purple flames!!

The first form's design was perfect in showing his overflow of power with arms and weapons sprouting out from everywhere like his body was like idk what to do with all this power! Lets make MOAR ARMS FOR MOAR WEAPAWNZ!! Second form was just oh look a giant hog, again.

What happened to the old demon humanoid pig ganon? Is a magic weilding, trident twirling/throwing demonic pig man not cool
anymore? I want a 3D zelda with pig-man ganon casting spells, teleporting, doing crazy trident attacks!

I get why they used this one I guess... both this and twilight princess feature large open fields for a giant ganon fight. The biggest issue is they never use the field!! If the spots you had to shoot were scattered through the fields or in enemies around or something, or roaming guardians created a force field around ganon and you needed to deafeat them before shooting ganon it wouldve been much improved imo.

/rant.

Other than his second form everything from the journey to and through the castle, to the end of the first form was really great. Loved the ending section as a whole.

Ms.Galaxy

Wait, you can encounter them before you infiltrate their hideout? I thought you had to kill their boss for them to start hunting you down.

Sometimes there are NPCs in the overworld that act a bit... off.

17098070_1859811240897256_2969566885415214280_o.jpg
Those are assassins.

I never noticed if undisguised assassins appear at random before the hideout though.

KHlover

Banned

Those are assassins.
Didn't encounter a single one of those before I cleared out their hideout, 30 hours into the game or so. Afterwards I encountered those travellers every few hours and the random spawns happened 1-2 times per hour, but I had no idea the Yiga existed right until the moment when I entered their hideout.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Those are assassins.

I never noticed if undisguised assassins appear at random before the hideout though.
They do appear before you get to the hideout as disguised travellers, however, no assassins are spawning until after the hideout.

13ruce

Banned

Those are assassins.

Encountered a traveler one just off the plateau when i just started playing the game, it was hilarious she told me a strange story then said now die hero boy. Laughed out loud and then she turned into a Ninja and i was like wtf.

It was cool tho, also encountered the non disguised ones pretty early ingame.

The stronger ones appeared after i killed the master tho.

Majukun

someone who is more savvy than me about the lore,can tell me what exactly are the three goddesses now?
in ocarina of time they were the creators of hyrule and the triforce..but now we have this hylia chick which is trewated like the only real important goddess and the three goddesses are barely mentioned in the game.

someone who is more savvy than me about the lore,can tell me what exactly are the three goddesses now?
in ocarina of time they were the creators of hyrule and the triforce..but now we have this hylia chick which is trewated like the only real important goddess and the three goddesses are barely mentioned in the game.
According to Skyward Sword, the three goddesses left after creating the world, but when they did they left this (less powerful I assume) Hylia goddess to guard the Triforce. If I remember right, in Skyward Sword Hylia actually gave up her godhood to be reborn as Zelda throughout time, so I'm not sure how you would be praying to her in this game, or how she would have given the shrines their spririt orbs.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The goddesses created Hylia to guard the Triforce.

Hylia is basically a demigod who became Zelda, which lets future Zeldas sorta tap into her power. I guess Hylia/Zelda actually protect Hyrule whereas the golden godesses just created the world and left. So you worship the one who can actually do stuff for you. I don't think the godesses were ever actually worshiped, more like they were just the subjects of the creation myth.

My headcanon is that the godesses never actually existed as such though, and are indeed just a creation myth. People saw the triforce, which is a super advanced piece of technology (again, in my headcanon) and made up the creation myth of the golden godesses based on the three parts of the triforce.

13ruce

Banned

From what i know is those ''golden goddesses'' left the world behind after it was created they still watch and sometimes even interact (flooding hyrule in WW timeline). So it's possible people just forgot about them in after al those years but some landmarks/locations are still named after them in BotW.

They created the world where Hyrule is in and made the triforce. Hylia stayed because she loves mortal life. I dunno what her power is or that she still is reincarnated as a mortal Zelda but she is weaker then those 3 i think power wise. Otherwise she did not need a Hero to save her or need the triforce to stop Ganon/Demise.

The three gods are named Din, Farore and Nayru. Triforce of Power is made by Din, Wisdom by Nayru and Courage Farore.
I don't know if they choose the wielders or that the triforce itself chooses it's wielder.

And judging by WW i guess they only interact when it is really needed and if so it will be by a radical action like the flooding in WW.
(bur this couls have been a triforce wish wich is more likely probably)

From what i know is those ''golden goddesses'' left the world behind after it was created they still watch and sometimes even interact (flooding hyrule in WW timeline). So it's possible people just forgot about them in after al those years but some landmarks/locations are still named after them in BotW.

They created the world where Hyrule is in and made the triforce. Hylia stayed because she loves mortal life. I dunno what her power is or that she still is reincarnated as a mortal Zelda but she is weaker then those 3 i think power wise. Otherwise she did not need a Hero to save her or need the triforce to stop Ganon/Demise.

The three gods are named Din, Farore and Nayru. Triforce of Power is made by Din, Wisdom by Nayru and Courage Farore.
I don't know if they choose the wielders or that the triforce itself chooses it's wielder.

And judging by WW i guess they only interact when it is really needed and if so it will be by a radical action like the flooding in WW.

The thing is, the "gods" who flooded the land in WW were called "gods" not "goddesses" so we don't actually know that people assumed it was the golden goddesses who did that. In fact, if you look at the Tower of the Gods in WW, you might see a pattern you now recognize:

It looks a lot like the Sheikah tech pattern from BotW. Which is what leads me to believe the Sheikah actually flooded the world in WW under the guise of "gods"

Also the fact that you have a robot boss in that tower should also add to that theory:

If Morrowind has taught me anything, it's to analyze in-game lore as if it was written by people in the world, rather than an outside all-knowing narrator.

Thud

In my headcanon the goddesses became dragons.

13ruce

Banned
The thing is, the "gods" who flooded the land in WW were called "gods" not "goddesses" so we don't actually know that people assumed it was the golden goddesses who did that. In fact, if you look at the Tower of the Gods in WW, you might see a pattern you now recognize:

It looks a lot like the Sheikah tech pattern from BotW. Which is what leads me to believe the Sheikah actually flooded the world in WW under the guise of "gods"

Also the fact that you have a robot boss in that tower should also add to that theory:

It's been a while since i played that game but yeah that indeed looks very familiar and does sound very possible!

Edit: The Sheikah are sure becoming a very interesting race with their tech it even existed before Skyward Sword happens.

It's been a while since i played that game but yeah that indeed looks very familiar and does sound very possible!

I also had the theory that the Sheikah symbol had the tear drop added specifically due to flooding the world in WW, but apparently I was wrong and it was present in OoT. That would've been really cool though.

Top Bottom