• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo, we need to talk.

C7p3dWwV4AAYiUl.jpg:large

Damn first form Ganon was AWESOME

Final boss rankings

1. OOT, just really well done
2. LTTP
3. BOTW
4. is a major toss up as Ive forgotten a lotta of the zelda boss fights. I played through ALBW recently and that was really charming especially the last arrow shot. PH I recall having a great final boss. TP I didnt really enjoy. SS was cool looking but easy. WW I dont recall besides him turning to stone. dont remember MC. Im playing through MM right now so we'll see how that goes.

RagnarokX

C7p3dWwV4AAYiUl.jpg:large

Zora's apparently have weird physiology. They have a growth spurt and change into adult form. She hasn't had hers yet despite being an adult and hates being treated like a kid because of her condition. According to the guy she's actually much older than him, but it's weird that he's not offput at all by it.

Oddly there are like at least 3 characters like that in BotW if you count the Gerudo Cheif.

Golnei

It's okay, she's at least 50. But there's no way she can compete with Purah.

According to the guy she's actually much older than him, but it's weird that he's not offput at all by it.

Oddly there are like at least 3 characters like that in BotW if you count the Gerudo Cheif.

Riju is actually a kid, though; unless I missed something.

If there's a direct sequel or substantial postgame DLC, it'd be hilarious if her new partner dumps her after she gets her growth spurt.

Anth0ny

I do believe I may be a contender for a "Lamest way to beat Eventide Island" award.

Hinox. Bombs. Only bombs. From a high cliff where it couldn't retaliate. For half an hour. Might as well let all that Snow Bowling practice come in handy. Only with bombs and one really large and mobile pin. What's it called when you need a good 50-100 rolls to knock down one pin?

...I like it when a game challenges me to play the lamest possible way. Take away all my usual advantages? Crank up the difficulty to where I need to pay attention? I will find that one little thing I can still do and milk it. And then the enemy camp near that final goal decided to be uppity. Urbosa's Fury said no. Because no, we're not playing that game. You took away my armor and my weapons. I will nuke this island with a wooden stick!

And thus it was done. Slow, methodical. Lame. That'll teach the game to try something different.

i stumbled upon it about 80 hours into my playthrough after beating all dungeons

so i basically beat it in 5 minutes without any trouble at all

BY2K

Membero Americo
Zora's apparently have weird physiology. They have a growth spurt and change into adult form. She hasn't had hers yet despite being an adult and hates being treated like a kid because of her condition. According to the guy she's actually much older than him, but it's weird that he's not offput at all by it.

Ooooh she's the Zora that mentioned that.

I remember a Zora told me she was a late bloomer for that growth spur and I was running around looking for her like: "Please tell me this isn't as weird as I think it is..."

RagnarokX

It's okay, she's at least 50. But there's no way she can compete with Purah.

Riju is actually a kid, though; unless I missed something.

If there's a direct sequel or substantial postgame DLC, it'd be hilarious if her new partner dumps her after she gets her growth spurt.
Oh, sorry. I read her diary wrong. She says "Mother... Lady Urbosa... Please give me your guidance..." but she's talking to two people. Mother AND Lady Urbosa.

The sages wouldn't know why Ganondorf had the Triforce of Power. To them it was like a divine prank that Ganondorf was chosen by the gods. Gods that are supposed to be good gave the most evil force in the universe ultimate power. They don't spell it out, but it's not difficult to deduce that the reason he got the Triforce of Power is because when the Hero of Time arrived in the Child Timeline the Triforce split, since the Hero of Time had the Triforce of Courage in OoT's ending.
why would link have it as a child in the final rewind. looking at the ending, there's nothing implying that, not even a glance at the back of his hand. And its not like he brought it back with him from the future since ww link had to rebuild that piece

I'm more inclined to believe it's just more lazy story telling from tp

Ms.Galaxy

why would link have it as a child in the final rewind. looking at the ending, there's nothing implying that, not even a glance at the back of his hand. And its not like he brought it back with him from the future since ww link had to rebuild that piece

normal_linktriforce.jpg

Link is directly shown to still have the triforce of courage even after being sent back in time during OOT's ending.

watershed

Banned

C'mon man. At least look it up if you don't remember.

RagnarokX

Might want to look harder. Like at that screenshot above :p

That shot of Link with the Triforce of Courage in his hand is such an amazingly subtle detail that most people miss. Nintendo is really good at that.

Riposte

50 year old Zora is the new 1000 year old dragon.

Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are not spin-offs. They're ninth and eleventh mainline Zelda games. Hyrule Warriors and Legends are spin-offs, and as such they are not included in timelines (though it'd be super easy to place HWL at the end of the Child timeline, given that all people brought from the past are from that timeline, and the people from the Adult timeline are brought from explicitly another dimension). Note that Spin-offs tend to not use the name The Legend of Zelda at all in their title. The only spin-offs that use TLoZ in their title are the BS games and the first one is a remake of The Hyrule Fantasy and the other technically runs parallel to Link's Awakening.

This is probably a fruitless argument to get into but... there are at least two "lines" of Zelda games: 2D and 3D. There's no arguing that 3D line became the mainline with Ocarina of Time. The treatment of the 2D line has been subordinate and not really coherent in comparison, so it leads to a couple games not really following the same meta-narrative trajectory as the 3D ones are. I don't think it would be a stretch to point at the "link up your GBAs to your Gamecube" game and say it's effectively a spin-off, in one way or another.

Basically, there are three or four type of Zelda games in this context: 1) the relatively consistent mainline and its game-established branches that began with OoT, 2) the earlier games which had less polished connections to one another and don't fall neatly into the former group (hence they are put together on the awkwardly out-of-game created Downfall timeline), 3) later sequels to those earlier games connected in a similar fashion (tend to be mostly related to LTTP and placed next to it, Minish Cap being something of an exception), and 4) games along the lines of the previous group but with connections so vague or meaningless due to their spin-off (or spin-off-like, if you must) nature they end up spilling out of the Downfall dump/timeline and bloat up the timeline.

I think I ended up using a lot of words to say something fairly basic. Games which try to fit into the timeline fit on the timeline fairly easily. Games which don't... don't. My point is that laboring to include these sort of games is preventing them from having a clean timeline and there isn't much of pay-off for it because it's mostly out-of-game logic unlike the explicit references in WW, TP, etc. The Downfall line itself works a neat fix for some of these games, but the cause of its creation is very poorly conceived.

TP would be far and away the best final boss/rush (and have best combat system in the series) if they didn't completely bungle the difficulty.

linkboy

Possession of the three Triforce pieces breaks down like this at the end of Ocarina (before Zelda sends Link back in time)

Ganondorf - Triforce of Power - Trapped in Sacred Realm
Link - Triforce of Courage
Zelda - Triforce of Wisdom

Link is still in possession of the Triforce of Courage (ToC) when he is send back. Due to him arriving on the newly created time with the ToC, the other two pieces go to the people that they're destined to (Zelda and Ganondorf). That's why both Ganondorf and the Sages are confused when the Triforce of Power actives and saves Ganondorf in the execution scene.

RagnarokX

I did look it up and I do remember.

https://youtu.be/ge8zd1ZR-hc

Look at his hand from the 9 minute mark

There's an inconsistency here. He doesn't have it when he comes back from the future. He does have it when he meets Zelda in the present.

Triforce marks don't always glow. Link technically had the Triforce of Courage the entire time after he woke up in the future but his mark didn't appear until Zelda told him about it. Link probably manifested it when he went to meet Zelda as proof of what happened in the other timeline or because he's close to another piece (Wisdom).

But obviously the point of adding it to that scene is to make sure the player understood that Link is changing the past because he didn't have it in the original version of that scene. Thus setting up the split timeline.

The Triforce pieces glow when they're near each other, they are resonating.
Okay, where is Zelda's? We get a glimpse at both of her hands and there's nothing there?

Triforce marks don't always glow. Link technically had the Triforce of Courage the entire time after he woke up in the future but his mark didn't appear until Zelda told him about it. Link probably manifested it when he went to meet Zelda as proof of what happened in the other timeline or because he's close to another piece (Wisdom).

But obviously the point of adding it to that scene is to make sure the player understood that Link is changing the past because he didn't have it in the original version of that scene. Thus setting up the split timeline.
That seems entirely arbitrary. it may as well just be the mark and not the actual piece

And I checked the 3D release and Zelda doesn't have it there either

Branduil

Okay, where is Zelda's? We get a glimpse at both of her hands and there's nothing there?

That seems entirely arbitrary. it may as well just be the mark and not the actual piece

And I checked the 3D release and Zelda doesn't have it there either
Zelda's triforce is in the same place as the goalposts you're running away with.

linkboy

This is a brand new timeline, and as a result, this Zelda has no idea of the events that took place after the initial meeting at the beginning of the game (which is now on a different timeline). As a result, she would have no idea that she bears the Triforce of Wisdom. We saw something similiar play out with Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. He, and the Sages, had no idea that he was in possession of the Triforce of Power until he was stabbed in the chest in the execution scene.

Toth

So, regarding timeline:
During the "ceremony" memory, Zelda mentions that the sword has been "Skyward bound, adrift in time, steeped in the glowing embers of twilight"
Doesn't that provide strong evidence for the Child Timeline?

Having finished the game today, I totally subscribe to this theory. I'm thinking

~14,000 to 12,000 years ago > Hylia seals away Demise
Over 10,000 years ago > SS
10,000 years ago> That era's Link and Zelda use the Guardians, defeat Ganon's feral form, and seal the Guardians and beasts back under the castles. They also seal away the shrines and towers in the event a hero is needed to use them again.
Several thousands of years later > OoT and Ganon's incarnation as a Gerudo
Several hundred years later > TP
Several hundred years later> BoTW initial fight with Ganon that ended in failure
100 years later > BotW proper.

Ms.Galaxy

Having finished the game today, I totally subscribe to this theory. I'm thinking

10,000 years ago> That era's Link and Zelda use the Guardians, defeat Ganon's feral form, and seal the Guardians and beasts back under the castles, and seal away the shrines and towers.
Several hundred years later> BoTW initial fight with Ganon that ended in failure

Actually, the events of the First Calamity happened after Ocarina of Time, that much we know. Ganon was literally sealed for 10,000 years.

linkboy

10,000 years ago> That era's Link and Zelda use the Guardians, defeat Ganon's feral form, and seal them way under the castle

Ocarina of Time is the earliest that any incarnation of Ganon(dorf) appears. Also, you can't have his feral form appear before his human form. The feral form is a result of him using (more abusing the hell out of it) the Triforce of Power.

RagnarokX

10,000 years ago> That era's Link and Zelda use the Guardians, defeat Ganon's feral form, and seal the Guardians and beasts back under the castles. They also seal away the shrines and towers in the event a hero is needed to use them again.

No. The game makes it clear that the robot fight 10,000 years ago was the last appearance of Ganon. Purah says Ganon has been dormant for 10,000 years. The Zora history tablets say that Ruto fought Ganondorf long before 10,000 years ago. And Ruto being a sage and fighting Ganondorf didn't happen in Child Timeline. The divine beasts were built and named after OoT sages. OoT is Ganon's first appearance and predates the robot war 10,000 years ago.

Chairhome

Just to show what I was talking about earlier, I think this is intentional:
Fight with Calamity Ganon
OrJNMXb.gif

Wii U Tech Demo
pHe7fTH.gif

EDIT: Loading the GIFs on this post at the same time make it look synchronized

Toth

No. The game makes it clear that the robot fight 10,000 years ago was the last appearance of Ganon. Purah says Ganon has been dormant for 10,000 years. The Zora history tablets say that Ruto fought Ganondorf long before 10,000 years ago. And Ruto being a sage and fighting Ganondorf didn't happen in Child Timeline. OoT is Ganon's first appearance and predates the robot war 10,000 years ago.

I gotcha. I am just rather surprised that Hyrule did not evolve at all for 10,000 years without some kind of...calamity,

edit: I'll revise then:

SS > OoT (first Ganon incarnation)> TP (Ganon actually killed / not exiled) > 10,000 years (!)> BotW

Ms.Galaxy

Pointing out an inconsistency is not moving the goalposts.

The original point we were talking about was how did Ganon get his piece in Twilight Princess. We know Link holds the Triforce of Courage at the end of Ocarina of Time, which is proven as his hand is glowing and it's glowing far brighter on the specific piece of the Triforce he holds, rather than the entire thing. This is a normal characteristic that a Triforce piece does to its holder.

That means the Triforce is split up, what do you think that means to the other two pieces of the Triforce? Do you think the Triforce of Wisdom and Power are just hanging around the Sacred Realm? From what we know about the Triforce, that forces it to split up and seek it's owners, which we know said people are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

Therefore we can deduce that Ganon in Twilight Princess got his piece because Link was granted the Triforce of Courage by accident(maybe?) when Zelda sent him back in time.

linkboy

I gotcha. I am just rather surprised that Hyrule did not evolve at all for 10,000 years without some kind of...calamity,

edit: I'll revise then:

SS > OoT (first Ganon incarnation)> TP (Ganon actually killed / not exiled) > 10,000 years (!)> BotW

You're now running into the issue with Ruto being a Sage. On the child timeline, the sages were never woken up, and BotW explicitly mentions that Ruto was a Sage and fought Ganon.

Toth

You're now running into the issue with Ruto being a Sage. On the child timeline, the sages were never woken up, and BotW explicitly mentions that Ruto was a Sage and fought Ganon.

While that is very true, we never learn what Ruto did after Ganon was arrested, no? I have yet to do the quest but is it possible the text may mean that Ruto 'fought' against Ganondorf by helping Link open the Temple of Time when they were children?

linkboy

While that is very true, we never learn what Ruto did after Ganon was arrested, no? I have yet to do the quest but is it possible the text may mean that Ruto 'fought' against Ganondorf by helping Link open the Temple of Time when they were children?

In the child timeline, Link never opened the Temple of Time, therefore none of the sages in Ocarina could awaken as sages on that timeline. Link and Ruto never meet as Link as no motivation to go on his quest.

Instead, Link and Zelda presented their evidence to the King of Hyrule, the King has Ganondorf arrested, the failed execution attempt happens and Ganondorf is dumped in the Twilight Realm. That's also the reason the Master Sword in Twilight Princess is sitting in the ruins of the Temple of Time.

Hylian7

I mostly agree, although part of me thinks there's some timeline unity shenanigans going on here. What explains the Koroks and Rito? And as stupid as it sounds, why we still got Zoras if they evolved into Rito because of the Great Sea?

Granted there are more inconsequential things, such as names on the map being from non-Hyrule games. I know I've seen something named Horon (village from Oracle of Seasons), and something else named Lynna (city from Oracle of Ages), and on Eventide Island, there was Koholit Rock, and Toronobo shores, both from Link's Awakening. There's also references to Majora's Mask.

Branduil

Seems like a much bigger stretch than the mention of twilight just being a reference for fans.

RagnarokX

History of the Zora, Part Five
The Sage Princess Ruto
As told by King Dorephan

Long, long ago... in a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta...

There was a Zora Princess named Ruto.

We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all. Around the same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain. It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend. Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule.
The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, built ages later to face off against Calamity Ganon was named in honor of Ruto. That the Zora princess—my sweet daughter Mipha—was chosen to pilot Ruta is surely the work of fate.

Toth

In the child timeline, Link never opened the Temple of Time, therefore none of the sages in Ocarina could awaken as sages on that timeline. Link and Ruto never meet as Link as no motivation to go on his quest.

Instead, Link and Zelda presented their evidence to the King of Hyrule, the King has Ganondorf arrested, the failed execution attempt happens and Ganondorf is dumped in the Twilight Realm.

If I could offer one possible reconciliation to this, perhaps Link told the King everything that happened in the future and what the Sages did. After all, without the Sages, Link would not have been able to travel back in time to stop Ganon's plans. The king or Link than could have shared this knowledge with the Zora and Ruto's legend was born (of course, this is regardless of what the young Ruto actually ended up doing).

linkboy

If I could offer one possible reconciliation to this, perhaps Link told the King everything that happened in the future and what the Sages did. After all, without the Sages, Link would not have been able to travel back in time to stop Ganon's plans. The king or Link than could have shared this knowledge with the Zora and Ruto's legend was born (of course, this is regardless of what the young Ruto actually ended up doing).

The Sages aren't what allows Link to travel back in time, it's

A) The Master Sword

B) Zelda with the Ocarina of Time

In theory, Link could travel back and forth at will by placing the Master Sword back in the pedestal without waking a single sage.

Toth

The Sages aren't what allows Link to travel back in time, it's

A) The Master Sword

B) Zelda with the Ocarina of Time

Oh yes, sorry for the confusion. I meant that without the Sages, Ganon could not have been sealed away, allowing Zelda to send Link back to the child timeline for good.

Branduil

Man all the endings for Ocarina of Time are pretty depressing now that I think about it.

Adult timeline: definition of pyrrhic victory as Ganondorf soon returns and Hyrule is permanently flooded.

Child timeline: best timeline in terms of long-term outcome, but the hero of time is completely forgotten.

Downfall: Not only did the HoT fail and fucking die, but plan B results in the corruption of the sacred realm and Ganon's permanent threat to Hyrule.

Top Bottom