• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Boyega photo bombs people at Star Wars Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arttemis

I am 99.9% sure that the black guy was on the Star Wars episode of SciFi's new cosplay show where they compete to create the best costumes in a time limit.

Edit - the black guy in the Death Trooper outfit, not Boyega, lol.

Pizza

vQ3jYFm.gif
VERY COOL!

If it's real, then it's cool, but it did feel oddly staged to me (before reading a single word of this thread) and I genuinely hope those were real folks, but the increasing "let's have actors pretend to be real people" thing that Hollywood literally can't help doing, makes me super cynical.

There was something a bit too polished about those three folks.

But again, glad to be wrong, because it was a cool thing to do for fans.

My guess is they did a bunch of takes and picked the best ones.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
John Boyega is such a hugger. My family is notorious for embracing strangers like they've known them for years. Just super friendly, wanting to make everyone feel as comfortable as possible. Me and my wife rewatched The Force Awakens today while we're both bed-ridden with the flu, and it's such a fun movie. I'm glad that him and Daisy Ridley are finding such success with the series. I hope they never lose that part of themselves that's just human. Living in Los Angeles, I see fake and fickle people every day. This industry can change you for sure. Especially when you're that young.

The fans reactions were great. I love videos like these. Like the John Cena one. I'm not even a fan of Cena, but how he treats the fans is commendable.

JoeInky

Y'all are really trying to get me to hate Red Letter Media right now, huh?

I don't think anything could get me to hate RLM, but like someone else mentioned the very cool thing makes no sense here whatsoever.

If it was a thread about some random podcast shilling star wars then yeah maybe, but not here.

Boem

I'll never understand how people can treat RLM as gospel when they talk about new Star Wars movies just repeating old stuff and how dumb people are for gobbling up the same old movies in new packaging every time, and then those same RLM fans just endlessly repeating their jokes over and over again. Do you guys really miss the irony in that? By doing this you basically become the butt of the joke they were making in the first place.

You're all like those kids endlessly shouting 'The Cake is a Lie' at every opportunity a couple of years ago.

Edit: I fully admit I might just be getting too old for this forum though.

Surfinn

I don't think anything could get me to hate RLM, but like someone else mentioned the very cool thing makes no sense here whatsoever.

So you're ok with bigoted undertones, complaints John Boyega and Daisy Ridley being included just for the sake of diversity, and no sex to ogle at?

JoeInky

So you're ok with bigoted undertones, complaints John Boyega and Daisy Ridley being included just for the sake of diversity, and no sex to ogle at?

From what I remember, they complained about the diversity constantly being pushed as some amazing thing, they didn't complain about diversity itself and thought John and Daisy were both great? If you can link me to them saying that John/Daisy were cast just for diversity and that this is a bad thing then sure I'll agree with you there.

I didn't really care about their complaint that TFA was lacking in romance, but I don't remember them framing it as wanting sex to ogle at? There was no sex in the original OT just a love story, and they wanted something a bit more like that in there. It's a weird personal complaint about what they thought should be in the film, but I can't comprehend it as some kind of terrible viewpoint, what am I missing here?

So I guess I don't care about the bigoted undertones then? I can't really think of many off the top of my head that stand out other than some stupid shit rich evans says now and then, but that's not enough to make me stop watching. They have made one or two jokes before that made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but the good far outweighs the bad which hasn't yet been bad enough to give me a sour taste in my mouth when I watch their videos. Maybe it's because I've seen increasingly worse on the internet over the years that's ruined certain online communities for me, which is usually a lot more blatant and disgusting to the point that I can see some of RLM's comments as just being ignorant jokes or not really understanding certain things, but maybe that's just me being naive and their videos are actually filled with wink wink moments for racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom