• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSE: Nintendo is now worth more than Sony Corp (Market Cap)

Cromat

Isn't Nintendo ahead in net profits (and behind in operating profits) for last year due to the aforementioned Marlins sale?

That's why ney profits are less an indicator of a business' health than operating profits. I looked at operating profits only, as a proportion of revenues.

Symbiotx

The comments about this meaning Sony is doing poorly or that Nintendo should buy Sony are hilarious.

Nintendo fanboys really do live in their own reality.

Ogodei

The comments about this meaning Sony is doing poorly or that Nintendo should buy Sony are hilarious.

I don't think anyone's being earnest about the latter. It's just funny turnabout since "X should buy Nintendo" has been a recurring thing since 2001 (only briefly halted from 2006-2010)

Nairume

Banned
I don't think anyone's being earnest about the latter. It's just funny turnabout since "X should buy Nintendo" has been a recurring thing since 2001 (only briefly halted from 2006-2010)
Or the even more frequent demands that Nintendo go third party.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

BxrN3.gif

Wonder how much of Sony's lackluster performance is due to the underperformance of Sony Pictures.

I really wish they'd just sell back the Spiderman movie rights to Marvel and stop fucking up his image. They're getting a slight pass now thanks to Marvel's help with RDJ but their plans for the next few movies are so bad that people are blasting them on forums everywhere, even here in OT.

I really wish they'd just sell back the Spiderman movie rights to Marvel and stop fucking up his image. They're getting a slight pass now thanks to Marvel's help with RDJ but their plans for the next few movies are so bad that people are blasting them on forums everywhere, even here in OT.

Sony Pictures is such a shitshow. It's a shame they haven't bothered to cultivate film production talent like they have game production talent with Worldwide Studios.

ggx2ac

There we go, an actual article.

Link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Tokyo-Market/Switch-catapults-Nintendo-s-market-cap-past-Sony-s

The only things I could add which I'll update in the OP.

Nintendo 's market capitalization hit 5.44 trillion yen ($48.9 billion) on Friday, surpassing Sony's for the first time in 11 months, as the soaring popularity of its Switch console drew investors to the game developer's stock.
The Kyoto-based company's market cap reached the highest since October 2008.

Investors rushed to buy after the company said Thursday that it will ramp up shipments of the Switch in July and August amid a shortage.
While the game developer initially planned to sell 10 million Switch consoles in the year ending March 2018, investors are "widely anticipating production to exceed plans," says Masahiro Ono of Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities.

Analysts expect Nintendo to book a net profit of 93.1 billion yen -- double the company's own projections -- for the current fiscal year ending in March. Some suspect the stock is overheating as the company's forward price-earnings ratio climbs past 100.

Top Bottom